• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Microsoft:

Correction: To date, we've spent over 100K hours testing your favorite games from Xbox One, including existing backward compatible 360 & OG Xbox games, on Xbox Series X. While we are still in the process of validating, we can confirm thousands of games will be playable at launch.

Sony:

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

Overall message seems similar enough at this point in time, 100% BC with last-gen should be the goal here.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Xbox
we can confirm thousands of games will be playable at launch.

PlayStation
We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch.

So thousands of Xbox games and hundreds of PlayStation titles. Seems pretty clear cut.

Things will evolve post launch. Duh.

EDIT: For the record, I don't care.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is the only Xbox games that don't work are the indiest indies that no one has ever heard of

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, this should answer everyone's questions and there shouldnt need to be any hand-wringing over specific language. Surely.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
feels like this isn't the first time we've had an "oh fuck, people actually want this" moment

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty common sense. Guaranteeing 100% support could have legal implications if they don't deliver 100% support, so it's far safer to hedge a tad.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
So MS can confirm thousands of games will be playable at launch whereas Sony are preparing to test thousands of games and will provide further updates in the coming months.

Don't think it's a surprise to anyone that MS is ahead in this area.

Nov 5, 2017
But here is the clincher - Xbox Series X BC includes Xbox One, 360, and OG Xbox; Playstation 5 includes only Playstation 5 - no PS3, PS2, or PS1.

I think the answer is clear which console is better supported from a BC point of view.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe my math is off, but hundreds isn't the overwhelming majority of 4000+
It is today....you gonna learn today.

But here is the clincher - Xbox Series X BC includes Xbox One, 360, and OG Xbox; Playstation 5 includes only Playstation 5 - no PS3, PS2, or PS1.

I think the answer is clear which console is better supported from a BC point of view.
This would be a great point if that's whats this thread was about.

But it's not.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
LOL it was obvious since the beginning.
Sony created confusion on their own the other day.
Microsoft used the term 'every game' on twitter in the PR sense of ''vast majority'' of them.
Both are still in the testing phase, both are aiming for full BC.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah like I said this is smart you dont want to be caught with 1 game not working when you promise 100%.

Sony and MS are not going to fall into that trap.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well will ya look at that, BC will work just like it has always worked, with most games working, minus a few random incompatible ones.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
lol the arguments have begun. I think people should leave the arguing for the final events before launch for more info at this point.

OP
OP
orochi91

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Well will ya look at that, BC will work just like it has always worked, with most games working, minus a few random incompatible ones.
Yea, Sony's poor messaging did a number on here yesterday.

MS just put out their correction a few moments ago too.

This thread should more or less clear the air.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
I'm completely fine with both statements. They cannot promise everything will work so they're covering their asses. It's completely normal.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Not even this thread is exempt from the bullshit lol. Discussing BC in this forum is a nightmare, I think I'm done discussing BC here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
We're expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We're currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

So I guess this confirms PS4 games will be enhanced on PS5 too.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I'm fine with both statements, but why didn't Sony say this originally? This seems a bit of a panic response.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Eh I do kinda want to know if the publisher/developer has to approve it or not. BC on Xbox One needed the publisher/developer to sign off on it, it's not clear if that applies here too. I wanna know about delisted games and games from defunct companies etc.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Japanese devs love to tie gameplay to framerate, I wouldn't be surprised if Bloodbourne is one of those with issues.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony is going to have a tough time getting out from under that "top 100" messaging that was put out. People latched on to that pretty hard.
Era as a whole can't seem to decide if the general public is tuned into gaming news or completely uniformed. Both consoles will (maybe) come out holiday this year and the only thing basic consumers will care about is price/launch titles.

People pretending that Sony having a confusing System Architecture stream 8 months from now are silly.