• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
With the addition of Double Fine, there will be a total of 15 unique, standalone studios that comprise Xbox Game Studios, including our newly-created Age of Empires studio headed by Shannon Loftis and our Publishing group headed by Peter Wyse. We are committing more resources and dedicated leadership to the Age of Empires franchise to ensure that its legacy on PC continues in service of the passionate community of faithful fans.

XGSFamilyHERO-hero.jpg

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Impressive! I'm very happy for Age of Empires fans and it's interesting seeing Microsoft trying to return to the PC sphere again

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Why doesn't it have a name?

WTF Microsoft.

Mojang has a name.

If this is Forgotten Empires, then that's the name.

Stop naming your studios after games. FFS.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Relic thing didn't go through, they have been really mediocre after several staff departures over the years and even if they weren't the kind of RTS they can make is antithesis to Age.

They had one job to do, make a sequel to Dawn of War and came with probably the biggest failure they could, a game that was doa and no one wanted. Before that CoH2 was also massively disappointing, a game that was worse than the first in every way. Relic is done.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Glad Relic thing didn't go through, they have been really mediocre after several staff departures over the years and even if they weren't the kind of RTS they can make is antithesis to Age.

They had one job to do, make a sequel to Dawn of War and came with probably the biggest failure they could, a game that was doa and no one wanted. Before that CoH2 was also massively disappointing, a game that was worse than the first in every way. Relic is done.

This makes me sad :(

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having an Age Of Empires studio means MS is committed to the franchise and the genre. That's good. AOE shall never die.

Wololo!

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Was there anything shown or said regarding Age of Empires at this conference? Just got home from work.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Cool. Although I hope they start porting AOE to Scarlett/Xbox One now that Keyboars support is a thing

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
SO going by this logic (the image that is), Mojang is now call Minecraft studios?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Why name it over a game? And why they didn't announce the creation there as well? So weird.
If I had to guess, it's less of a core development studio, and more a name to house the studios that all work on AOE titles. AOE4 and the Definitive Editions are done by separate studios, so I assume this is just a way of them to show their commitment to the franchise.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess that officially debunks the Relic acquisition rumours. I always thought the notion of Sega Europe selling any of their strategy studios to be weird, but whatever.

Too PC focused perhaps.
...after Microsoft announced a new Microsoft Flight Simulator and re-announced a new remaster of Age of Empires 2?

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think anyone can doubt Microsoft's PC efforts any longer. I think they're well past the "I'll believe it when I see it" stage.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
If only there was a huge games show happening right now to announce this news.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda odd they didn't mention it before Double Fine or before the Age 2 trailer...would have taken 15 seconds lol

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Is Minecraft its own studio now outside of Mojang

Looks like even though Mojang was bought, it's not part of XBOX Studios. Minecraft Studio is its own entity and run by Helen Chiang. They manage the production of Minecraft games with other contracted devs like 4J Studios. This is probably exactly what Age of Empires Studio is.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Looks like even though Mojang was bought, it's not part of XBOX Studios. Minecraft Studio is its own entity and run by Helen Chiang. They manage the production of Minecraft games with other contracted devs like 4J Studios. This is probably exactly what Age of Empires Studio is.
Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

Oct 27, 2017
They probably kept Shannon off the show because of the twitter stuff. That would explain the lack of the studio announcement.