• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks to vixolus

TLDW

During a recent Twitch stream, spotted by Twinfinite, Asobo demonstrated just how significant the performance improvements will be on older systems with an Intel Core i7-9700K and an RTX 2060 Super. Microsoft Flight Simulator jumped from around 30fps to nearly a solid 60fps just thanks to the patch. CPU utilization also drops from 100 percent to 75 percent on this particular PC, and memory drops from around 16GB to 4.7GB.

"We have rewritten a lot of the parts of the engine ... in order to get the maximum performance out of the sim," explains Asobo CEO Sebastian Wloch. The team has been mainly working on CPU optimizations, as the game has been incredibly CPU heavy since its launch last year.

While Microsoft Flight Simulator will move to DirectX 12 for Xbox Series X / S, the game will remain on DirectX 11 on PC for now. "All the performance improvements come from just improving the simulator," confirms Wloch. "PC has not yet moved to DirectX 12, the team is still working on it. It may bring improvements further, or not."

Martial Bossard, an executive producer on Microsoft Flight Simulator at Asobo, confirmed the upcoming move to DirectX 12 on PC will also allow the team to enable ray tracing in the game. Effects should include better water, improved shadows, and the usual reflections we expect to see in ray-traced games.

www.theverge.com

Microsoft Flight Simulator is getting huge PC performance improvements this month

The patch could double frame rates on some PCs.

Last edited:

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Woooo! 30fps on this has been absolutely fine...but getting the option to push it further (or bump up graphical options) is fantastic.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god, they really need it.

Even if it's not DX12, at least they have to try some multithreading.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Any chance this could help push the Series X version to 60 FPS? Or at least close to it with VRR?

I think they needed to do this to even get the Series X version to 30fps.

Not even a top of the line PC can get 60 fps out of this game in its current state. Even getting a solid 30 fps is tough

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Great! Did they introduce multi-threading?

"CPU optimization" is kind of vague.

Also, yeah ... this is going to make the MSFS 2020 VR mode viable. The video cuts off right as she's asking a question about VR framerate, though.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Any chance this could help push the Series X version to 60 FPS? Or at least close to it with VRR?
Probably. I think this example was at 40% of 4K at ultra on a 2060 Super and a slightly better CPU with the 9700k compared to the Zen 2 in XSX. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 60 fps offering after this. The DX12 update may even help it at higher resolutions too.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, just watched the clip.

Went from 35fps to 58fps in the same area (Manhattan)
CPU usage went from 100% to 75%
Memory usage went from 26GB to 14GB

Absolutely massive gains.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if they are putting way more processes using multi threading which def would boost performance over doing single core processes. If they werent already doing it.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully, my backlog has kept me from playing this one. Really looking forward to jumping in after the big update in September!

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
This game is being improved upon on so many levels at the same time - and it was already an impressive package. The world updates, the constant improvement of systems, performance.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit if it really works that well when the update hits, VR may become viable.

I tried VR on my i9-9900k and 3080 and it STILL runs like ass lol.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They are testing stuff now btw

svkoid6b6f871.jpg

This is for PC. Go to your xbox insider app

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I just watched the question and answer session and the developer says "there will definitely be a positive impact on VR, that's for sure", but they don't know how much, "maybe it will be as much as we see here", and that impact will depend on your CPU, GPU and headset.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
My i7-6700 and gtx1080 might actually be able to play this game without stuttering! Yay. I have a valve index and performance isn't even worth discussing in VR

Last edited:

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
yeah imma play this on XSX

30 fps I can handle

what my PC was outputting in metropolis cities like tokyo, new york and toronto? lol it was like playing star fox again

even the 80% boost won't be enough I think

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great news! I haven't watched the whole stream. Was there any word on the bug that causes stuttering every minute or so because the game is trying to start SteamVR when playing in non VR mode on a system that has a VR headset attached?

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Vindicated

MS way to show unlike a certain company known for crysis when you got problems you fix them. This game is done disservice in it's current form with that cpu threading.

I know you won't fix windows and let linux flex as it should but this is a great start.

Post 45 on the money. DLSS is amazing before you before you hit 240fps, great for peaks, minimums or consistency. Cities would be amazing.

even the 80% boost won't be enough I think

On good rigs this means you can hit 60fps more consistently or stay there.

That's about 10-20 fps gain and that's not considering what presets that are being used.

Those are gains on 9700k and a 2060 at 4k ultra. Most console and pc users should be mega happy at the gains. If that CPU utlization stays true multi core users could see some amazing visual and smoothness at once.

Last edited:

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Same here. Last I saw it was still slated for release this year. I hope that still holds true. I'm still super impressed they found these performance gains without yet making the jump to DX12.

Insane.

I'm wondering what 1440p on 3080s with good rigs is gonna produce. 60-100fps consistency would be insane.