• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
This is not an issue a union would magically cure.
What do you think a union is going to do in a case like this?

This is one of the working conditions unions help fight to improve. See GWU's resources on it:
Every day, workers are harassed across the globe. Harassed individuals can feel powerless, but unions have the ability to turn the separate voices of the victims into a collective power with the ability to make significant changes. Unions can provide collective anonymous representation, negotiate for workplace agreements with stronger protections against sexual harassment and abuse, and help the victims along every step of the way - Game Workers Unite wants to help fill that gap in the industry and give workers everywhere the ability to use their collective power to make a positive change in the workplace.

https://www.gameworkersunite.org/harassment-resource

Nebty

Mar 27, 2019
Quick! Someone put out a press release/E3 speech about how Microsoft values diversity and women! Aka the preferred strategy for the last few years instead of actually dealing with this toxic bullshit.
I'm waiting for one of the higher-ups to mention that they have a wife/mother/daughter.

This is awful. Hopefully people keep digging until things are forced to change. All the sympathy for the employees who had to go through this shit.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I for one AM SHOCKED that the company in charge of policing Xbox Live, which is basically a discord channel for white supremacists and the alt-right, has a toxic, misogynist work culture. Seriously, MS has done z-e-r-o to curb hate speech, violent speech and sexist speech on Xbox Live. I'm not surprised this lack of oversight extends to their work environment.

Yea that's not an Xbox thing, but a gamer thing in general. I get just as much shit hurled at me on PlayStation and PC as I do Xbox. Actually PC might be the worst. Don't know about Nintendo, they would need to make a functional online system first.

Use that report button on Xbox, it works. Have personally gotten a few people banned from XBL for things they sent me in messages.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Every woman giving testimony had been called a bitch at work bar one? Disgusting. Hope this provokes action from an executive level.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not really.

There's a difference between talking about diversity and inclusion and making a show of improving, and actually improving. Public presentations make for good PR, but don't necessarily reflect the actual internal culture being promoted.

See my post on page one...

Gah. As an ex-Microsofty and passionate feminist, this is so upsetting to hear. In my part of the business, equality and respect ran deep and it's a message that was unambiguously and clearly repeated by the senior leadership. I hate that this kind of thing still exists anywhere. I take comfort from the fact that Satya, Kathleen Hogan et al are absolutely sincere about having genuine equality in the workplace and hope those responsible will get an unambiguous and painful message.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Awful news. Find out who, discipline, attempt to educate, any sense of a lack of interest to grow as a human and ask for a resignation or manage them out of the business.

This world needs to respect and love more!

Gutted to read this.

Oct 28, 2017
Yikes! Way to discourage women from working in the games industry Microsoft 😒

Well good to know I can cross off buying their next console off my list. Fuck off Microsoft.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This surprises me. I know a few people who work/have worked at the company (not Xbox, mind you) and they've said that diversity, inclusiveness and respect is heavily driven from the top - and comparatively more than other big tech firms they've worked at.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes, I'm sure we can trust HR to sort it out. The team that's actually there for the interests and the protection of the company.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
You can take a union rep into a meeting with HR to support you, and they can take wider action and collate examples for wider action. It's how they normally work.

The problem is that the person you're complaining about is probably also a union member. Now you can't fire them so they get shuffled around to some other department. Unions aren't the answer to everything.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
We have here a thread that shows and exposes sexual harassment in one of the biggest companies in the world. The effects it had to those affected, the conplacience from those at HR, and how hopeless it was to those women working in such toxic work place.
A great thread to show the public how it is, and to force MS to act.
And some idiots here are doing console waring. Just go away please, it's embarrassing and really infuriating.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
What is it with these companies and their work cultures nowadays. It is like no one can express their feelings like an adult anymore. Yes colleagues can be frustrating sometimes, but you can talk about it constructively without cussing and name calling. How where these people raised in their childhood for gods sake. And sexual harassment is something unforgivable, be a fucking professional.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I bet this is way more pervasive than just being within MS. It's always link ed to any institute with a power structure.
It's really shocking how we forget our humanity when we achieve power, I don't understand why it's so difficult to treat our women with respect and dignity.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
"being told to sit on a coworker's lap."

Fucking creeps man. That sounds like some sexual predator shit.

scaryrobots

Oct 27, 2017
Doing Robot things
Tbh, I've always thought Aaron Greenberg is that type of person. Sorry, but to me, guy looks like a creeper.

18j50l3bk382hjpg.jpg

Dude... wtf.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I would guess that this is more a big corporate issue and not specificly something where MS is standing out. HR in such firms should be pretty well trained to stomp this shit down or stuff like this is going to fester. There is probably so much shit which doesn't get noticed / reported because of bad HR or people fearing for their jobs..

Still, System Warriors are going to use it for ammuniton.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Despite all the inclusiveness speeches and books by Nadella and Spencer, that's where we are... Pretty sad.

I hope they'll clean the house rapidly but didn't we hear something like that coming from MS months ago?

Luxor

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that the person you're complaining about is probably also a union member. Now you can't fire them so they get shuffled around to some other department. Unions aren't the answer to everything.

This seems to be a US thing, I've noticed that most of their unions seem to be run along the lines of a Mafioso family in that once you are in you are a made man and it's very hard to get rid of you. I've been in different unions here in the UK (Banking, IT) and if you were to get sacked by a company for something valid, the union would be telling you to get lost, we don't want your kind here.

John Wick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I remember there were similar threads posted before about the way women are treated at work places and sexual assault etc. I stated then that at any big corporation or company especially where there is a large amount of staff working together this type of behaviour goes on.
I remember one clown suggesting it wasn't so prevalent in American companies because of standards and HR department. Yeah fuckin right!
Then there were others who were shocked at what was going on at QD.
Welcome to the real world!
There are too many on here who need to step out of their bubble. Get out of your mothers basement. This shit goes on everywhere be it racism,discrimination or sexual assault. I've been working since 22 and I'm 44 now. I've worked at some massive companies and been contracted to visit or assist other huge companies all over the world.
I once went to a company which had over 80 staff on one site and I was the only non white person there. You can probably guess how that went.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's like all this diversity in media and commercials is just a smoke screen when it comes to the background scene. Men doing their damndest to keep the boys club alive.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
This is both disappointing and not too surprising at the same time. : / One would think that we in the year 2019 would be above this, but caveman mentality is sadly still alive and well.

MS needs to take action ASAP. This is simply not acceptable.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know this is the early response, but "e-mail me" is NOT ENOUGH. There should be a commitment to follow up with those who posted in the thread, a commitment to counselling and an avenue for anonymity, etc. etc. I imagine those who were most impacted probably left, so old HR records should be reviewed.
It won't end with a PR statement from the HR departement, now that it's public medias will investigate.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds absolutely horrible.

This surprises me. I know a few people who work/have worked at the company (not Xbox, mind you) and they've said that diversity, inclusiveness and respect is heavily driven from the top - and comparatively more than other big tech firms they've worked at.
A friend of mine worked at MS in Europe, she once wore trousers where the zippers are at the back and she allegedly got a boatload of suggestive comments to put it mildly. She was also heavily "flirted" with at site-offs etc. Tech firms in general seem to have a problem in that regard, certainly not MS alone but I don't think they are better than the rest either.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yep, especially in this industry you should only trust HR if you're actually friends with them.
Otherwise things might not end well for you.
Right now their HR (and I would imagine other gaming companies) HR will be under a microscope. They will be forced to do the right thing. Protecting company will mean no more negative press and getting to the bottom of this.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I for one AM SHOCKED that the company in charge of policing Xbox Live, which is basically a discord channel for white supremacists and the alt-right, has a toxic, misogynist work culture. Seriously, MS has done z-e-r-o to curb hate speech, violent speech and sexist speech on Xbox Live. I'm not surprised this lack of oversight extends to their work environment.
You clearly don't know jack shit what they have done to prevent harassment on Xbox Live. And judging by how you're equating the people working on the service with those using it and your fancy way of spelling "zero", this is clearly just a bullshit "hot take" to make yourself feel heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.