• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone in the official OT is discussing this and freaking out-but I see the reveal starting to be reported on and mentioned in Twitter so I think it's thread worthy on its own.

www.ign.com

Ms. Marvel Just Introduced a Long-Awaited Addition to the MCU - IGN

Superhero fans have been wondering how mutants - and therefore the X-Men - would be introduced to the Marvel Cinematic Universe ever since Disney purchased Fox in 2019, but that question has finally been answered thanks to the Ms. Marvel series.

comicbook.com

Ms. Marvel Drops Major MCU Reveal in Finale Episode

Ms. Marvel delivered its finale episode on Wednesday, offering up a major surprise for Marvel fans [...]
First of all, Ms. Marvel got her name of "Ms. Marvel," when her father called her just that late in the episode. Origin story: complete. She also said, "Embiggen," which is her popular word when using her powers in comics, although the powers look quite different on the pages. However, she also underwent a massive change by comparison to her comic book counterpart to get those powers. In the comics, Kamala Khan possesses and Inhuman gene. However, in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Kamala has a mutant gene.

Bruno Carrelli told Kamala Khan in the final moments of the episode that he detected a "mutation" in her genes which other humans do not possess. After Bruno said, "mutation," a rendition of the theme song from X-Men: The Animated Series played and the song is named in the credits of the episode. Just like that, the mutant gene has been introduced to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Marvel themselves posted an article about the reveal and how the cast and crew are freaking out and could barely film the scene. Note that the article doesn't mention the actual word in question.

www.marvel.com

‘Ms. Marvel’: What Kamala Khan’s DNA Reveals About Her Genetics

“It's like her wildest dream already came true over the show, but then we just gave her one more bit of the dream.”
As for what happens next? No one knows, but everyone's excited for what's to come.

"So many people have been waiting for this," Lintz adds. "There have been so many people excited about it. It's even cool for me and Iman as viewers because we don't know what's going to happen. [This is] something that the fans, and me included, are so excited to see.

Note the quick X-Men animated theme reference:

View: https://youtu.be/bV0jEcYCLG8

Mutants are in the MCU and Kamala is our first known one.
f8sfpm5dvab91.png

Comic Con announcements are next week…

Last edited:

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I know a lot of people will hate this change, I personally love it that this is how they are introduced, and that she is a mutant instead of an inhuman.

Oct 27, 2017
so she isn't a jinn like people were leaking?

Sounds good if so. Cause having her be a jinn would be very offensive considering she is supposed to represent Muslims.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Guess we know that X-Men stuff will be the big build-up.

Would X-men vs Avengers be something that could translate to the MCU at some point?

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Guess we know that X-Men stuff will be the big build-up.

Would X-men vs Avengers be something that could translate to the MCU at some point?
An Avengers vs X-Men movie is inevitable but like most MCU movies won't be a straight up 1:1 adaptation.

There's too much baggage and differences between the two continuities.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm perfectly happy with this change. Really hope they start announcing mutant stuff soon.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I haven't watched the show, but in the trailers it seemed clear that her powers came from bracelets.

How is this a mutant power? Or does she lose the bracelets and still have the powers?

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the show, but in the trailers it seemed clear that her powers came from bracelets.

How is this a mutant power? Or does she lose the bracelets and still have the powers?
It's unclear, really. But it was explained that the bracelets wouldn't have given her family members powers if they had worn them.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The last episode and Bruno saying he made a mistake made it seem like the bracelet giving her power was a mistake, and it's something in her letting her access it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So we're back to the 90's and every tangential character they want to boost is a mutant… I miss when we had individual mutates like Spiderman. But shrug I can roll with it

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
So we're back to the 90's and every tangential character they want to boost is a mutant… I miss when we had individual mutates like Spiderman. But shrug I can roll with it
Stan Lee came up with the notion of Mutants because he was tired of coming up with a unique origin story for every new character. Can't really blame him.

Feb 16, 2022
If it wasn't for the X-Men theme, I would have thought it was a fakeout and she was actually "human mutate" instead of mutants, which is what Marvel labels individuals like Peter Parker and Hulk.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Stan Lee came up with the notion of Mutants because he was tired of coming up with a unique origin story for every new character. Can't really blame him.
I was referring more to cases like Cloak and Dagger where it got retconned because it was a cash in attempt. Just like Kamala here they had something that triggered their powers, and then they tacked on that it aggravated/prematurely activated their X gene

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I wonder if she will actually join the X-Men? Perhaps sorta take on the Jubilee role as the new kid learning about the world of mutants (which also introduces the audience to it).

Feb 16, 2022
Hmm I wonder if she will actually join the X-Men? Perhaps sorta take on the Jubilee role as the new kid learning about the world of mutants (which also introduces the audience to it).
It'd be a waste to saddle her in a team like the X-Men, which could potentially make her easily outshined. But it opens the doors for her to have in-universe reasons to be in contact with characters like Logan for team-up stuff.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Having her move away from her tremendous supporting cast would be a waste.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
User Warned: Thread Whining
The episode barely dropped. Couldn't the "there's a big reveal!" wait? There's a thread for the show to discuss it.

Oct 27, 2017
The concept of this totally works and is what it should've been, but combining it with the narrative of the power from bracelets seems really tacked on and makes it feel like this was a really late addition.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Can't wait wait to the losers complaining about Ms. Marvel's power change from the comics to say "HOW CAN SHE BE A MUTANT, IN THE COMICS SHE'S INHUMAN"

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
The MCU really doesn't need both mutants and inhumans so i really hope this is an attempt to consolidate both groups for the sake of simplicity.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
is it really a spoiler if marvel.com has an entire article about it?

www.marvel.com

‘Ms. Marvel’: What Kamala Khan’s DNA Reveals About Her Genetics

“It's like her wildest dream already came true over the show, but then we just gave her one more bit of the dream.”

And when Vellani learned this was happening? That's when she emailed Feige in all caps.

"They sent me, and only me, the draft [of the final episode], and I immediately freaked out," Vellani recalls. "I emailed Kevin Feige in all caps. I was like, are you doing this like for real? Are you sure? I'm so honored! I was like yelling at him through an email. I was freaking out. This is the biggest deal in the world, and the fact that it's happening in our show is crazy."

Iman Villani is the best.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
The point of the X-Men is that their bond is closer between one another than anyone else. For Kamala, her family is a huge part of her character so tying her to a surrogate family feels like a bad fit.

The MCU really doesn't need both mutants and inhumans so i really hope this is an attempt to consolidate both groups for the sake of simplicity.
They'll probably let the Royal Family stay as Inhumans but it's easier to make everyone else mutants.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
The episode barely dropped. Couldn't the "there's a big reveal!" wait? There's a thread for the show to discuss it.
I have seen the episode since it drops at a good time inmy time zone and I had nothing else on today but I agree. Would be courteous if we could at least wait like 24 hours for this type of thread title.

It sucks you have to avoid the entire internet if you can't see something the minute it releases.

Last edited:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The point of the X-Men is that their bond is closer between one another than anyone else. For Kamala, her family is a huge part of her character so tying her to a surrogate family feels like a bad fit.
Considering the current state of X books with Krakoa is even more of a bad fit

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For those who don't know, Marvel released a free issue of Ms Marvel each week with the release of episodes 1-4. No free issue was released last week with episode 5 and this week's release is just a preview of a few pages. These are the ones that were released if someone wants to read them for free (no Marvel Unlimited sub required at all).

5OrdXbc.jpg

www.marvel.com

Free Ms. Marvel Comics Presented by Marvel Unlimited

Read a free Ms. Marvel comic book that inspired the series streaming exclusively on Disney+ presented by Marvel Unlimited.

Scroll down to click on each of those 4 issues to read them.
There's also an offer for the first month of Marvel Unlimited for $1.99 US with promo code KAMALA, $9.99 US is the normal monthly price.

VicRattlehead

Oct 25, 2017
Thats an excellent way to tease the xmen, I just hope they do them justice and don't make it a wolverine and friends kinda thing

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The concept of this totally works and is what it should've been, but combining it with the narrative of the power from bracelets seems really tacked on and makes it feel like this was a really late addition.

It really does come off like that. And are her construct powers from the bangle, or did the bangle trigger her mutation? Is she still mutating? Will she get her polymorph powers?