• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

I dont like obscuring numbers, but it does show a focus on growing the Game Pass service over revenue right now, which is good. (EDIT: mistake on my end)

Last edited:

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have contributed 1 € / month in that figure, which infinitely more than what I've contributed earlier via second hand sales.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I dont like obscuring numbers, but it does show a focus on growing the Game Pass service over revenue right now, which is good.

Hmm, surely this puts the focus on revenue? And revenue growth? Gamepass and other service reach will have to translate to revenue growth in order for those successes to show in these numbers, so I'd say it actually puts pressure to deliver on revenue.

In the end that's actually a more direct number, cutting more to the heart of things, than more abstract metrics. However having absolute numbers rather than just growth, and user numbers on top of that, would still obviously be preferable.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks for people into statistics, but it makes a lot of sense. They are unifying the Xbox brand under various kinds of hardware, software and services. Games no longer have to be profitable on their own, they just have to keep people stick to their ecosystem.

Oct 27, 2017
That Xbox Live users metrics was pretty much worthless, as it never mentioned how many were paid.

But those moves does not really tells us if/when they will be comfortable sharing Game Pass users figures instead.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
Revenue growth doesn't seem to mean much if you are obscuring the actual revenue.
Do we even know if gamepass is profitable?

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This opens the door for MS to go for revenue growth any way they can... including putting their services and games on competing platforms.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This further underlines the Xbox transition to a service platform rather than hardware platform.

The console hardware will simply be one way of accessing the platform, along with PC and xCloud devices.

Obviously we've already seen this on PC, with the Xbox app and Game Pass. Xbox is the service and not just a "console".

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Hmm, surely this puts the focus on revenue? And revenue growth? Gamepass and other service reach will have to translate to revenue growth in order for those successes to show in these numbers, so I'd say it actually puts pressure to deliver on revenue.

In the end that's actually a more direct number, cutting more to the heart of things, than more abstract metrics. However having absolute numbers rather than just growth, and user numbers on top of that, would still obviously be preferable.
i think i might have misread my own thread... lol. you are right.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont like obscuring numbers, but it does show a focus on growing the Game Pass service over revenue right now, which is good.
If that's how they felt then they should make gamepass free. They care about revenue, they just dont want people to have a clear record to measure their efforts.
This further underlines the Xbox transition to a service platform rather than hardware platform.

The console hardware will simply be one way of accessing the platform, along with PC and xCloud devices.

Obviously we've already seen this on PC, with the Xbox app and Game Pass. Xbox is the service and not just a "console".
Services = revenue. Look at the expansion of Sony's services line up with their boom in revenue. Even Nintendo has seen a modest bump as they transition over to more services.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Is this now going to be PURE xbox revenue though?

I know in the past because of the disastrous hardware costs associated with the XBOX and 360 they used to merge it with other divisions.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that's really going is MAU. They'll likely still announce good figures outside the investor sphere.

Gaming revenue will still be disclosed (as required) under SEC fillings.

Not much has changed except MAU is disappearing

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
So no solid numbers whatsoever, even MAUs? Omission of MAUs is the strangest part here. I mean more engagement in services = more MAUs. Not even revenue for PR? (let's not discuss Xbox' net profit or loss here). And yes, MS is not reporting HW numbers or sales either for a long time.

So Xbox results are officialy a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. Meh.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France

I agree that. Sales figures are for investors, not enthousiasts, and the way sales are grouped underlined how gaming is managed at Microsoft.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Not the MAUs. NOOOOOooooooo!
Though I do actually kinda miss MS NPD PR, this is just making already really vague info moreso.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Probably good for consumers. Only talking about revenue growth and obfuscating everything else = this will be a huge money sink for a long time to come.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that but it seems wrong to not disclose the revenue (and earnings) for a multi-billion dollar business to investors.

SEC fillings are readily available. Investors will also get the annual packs containing the information (maybe even quarterly I'm not sure how it works US side completely)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Of course they would continue to obscure or obfuscate things, especially in any areas that might look less impressive or even poor, especially versus the competition.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yep, and it's obvious this is/was coming. Microsoft is now a services company and outside of gaming they are doing everything they can to get their services and software on multiple different platforms.

My guess is a couple years into next gen we will see xcloud or some similar service on other consoles.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they would continue to obscure or obfuscate things, especially in any areas that might look less impressive or even poor, especially versus the competition.

Except you know they're not?

KPI's change for companies year on year.]

Obviously the revenue of the xbox game division hasnt been deemed a key metric. However Growth, which is a very valuable KPI, has been decided upon this year.

This isn't about competitors, this is about showing investors (and potential investors) that the business is growing.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The weird thing is, the XBL active users will grow a lot more and has grown a lot these past years.

So, they're also removing positive information.

As stated by many on the previous MS quarter results it doesn't matter if your MAU is up but this doesn't translate into growth in both services and software revenue.
Funny enough those that said that were called armchair investors and concern trolls and now here we are.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Except you know they're not?

KPI's change for companies year on year.]

Obviously the revenue of the xbox game division hasnt been deemed a key metric. However Growth, which is a very valuable KPI, has been decided upon this year.

This isn't about competitors, this is about showing investors (and potential investors) that the business is growing.

It's about obfuscating in order to paint a more positive outlook for potential investors. Else they would simply offer more data points, including on revenue, growth, sales, subscriber numbers and so on.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Easiest way to make reports look better, to obfuscate as much data as possible.