• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
This is bulls***.

Original Reddit post:
As said, MSI is scalping their own 3080s on ebay under the name Starlit Partner. Browsing the Starlit Partner seller reveals that everything they sell is MSI, most (maybe all) new in a box. They have the nerve to say "We work closely with the manufacturer." Because they are literally the manufacturer.

Starlit Partner trademark

Link to 3080 being scalped

A card retailing for 759.00, currently being sold by the manufacturer on ebay for 1359.00, and they are absolutely selling out of them. There were some available when I started looking into it and now the auction simply says 0 available, 4 sold.

How is this legal, and even if it's legal, how are they not being absolutely crucified for it already?

MSI response:
Starlit Partner is an individual sales subsidiary working under MSI. They carry excess inventory and Refurbished items and would not be given newly released products such as the Geforce RTX 30 series GPU. As such, we have conducted an investigation and found out that an error allowed them access to inventory they were not permitted to handle.

Starlit Partner has been instructed to contact the individual customers who purchased these GPU and offer 2 options - return the product and receive a full refund, or a partial refund of the amount paid over MSI's MSRP.

Moving forward, MSI will enforce a stricter policy to Avoid situation like this happening again.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering the huge markdown on used PC parts, I'm surprised they're the first manufacturer to get "caught" doing this.

You know they all have their hands in the aftermarket of their own stuff. No different than a new car lot selling used cars (I guess).

LilZippa

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
What happened to MSI. Maybe I was just unaware, but they seem so shitty in all their practices now.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
There is history to this, feedback listing shows they did it with the 1080ti too.

They also did it with the 3090.

Fuck MSI.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
Do not support this company. Apparently they blackmail tech reviewers who give their products negative feedback.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I will never buy an MSI card. I haven't before but still, fuck these dudes. This whole goddamn launch is clown shoes. And they seem to have a history of this? Fuck this.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who is even remotely into sneakers has been dealing with stuff like this for years. Surprised its taken this long to either catch on or for those doing it to get caught in other industries.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
MSI has been taking a nosedive recently as far as ethical business practices. They need to get their act together or pack it up.

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing games all my life and I still can't quite understand why an specific graphics card model is released by multiple manufacturers at the same time with different boxes and specifications for each one.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
200.gif

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Been playing games all my life and I still can't quite understand why an specific graphics card model is released by multiple manufacturers at the same time with different boxes and specifications for each one.

Nvidia is primarily a chip maker and provides reference material to its partners, yes they do some cards themselves but their primary focus is on chip design and manufacture. The manufacturers / partner brands make their own versions of the actual boards sourcing the other components along with different cooling, overclocking and features.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Damn, I love my MSI MEG board and the Trio 2080 Ti.....but nope, fuck that I can't back this going forward they no longer will be my go to.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
def going with evga or FE when i finally can get a 3080

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia is primarily a chip maker and provides reference material to its partners, yes they do some cards themselves but their primary focus is on chip design and manufacture. The manufacturers / partner brands make their own versions of the actual boards sourcing the other components along with different cooling, overclocking and features.

But wouldn't that introduce a lot of issues like, difference in prices, reliability, compatibility, build quality and all that stuff?
If the PS5 was manufactured by different people I'd be super stressed about which one to choose, for instance.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
So they "accidentally" got access to product they weren't supposed to handle, sure, maybe, but then selling it for a huge markup over msrp to boot? Yeah bullshit.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But wouldn't that introduce a lot of issues like, difference in prices, reliability, compatibility, build quality and all that stuff?
If the PS5 was manufactured by different people I'd be super stressed about which one to choose, for instance.

I don't see people feeling stress over which android phone to choose so your concern is weird. You can always choose the founder's edition

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have bought MSI in the past and never had a problem quality wise so it's one of the brands I would lean towards. Definitely not anymore.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

In terms of prices....yes, depending on what the board partners decide to do it can make a big difference as some will stick close to the reference design while others will go all out with features and high quality capacitors etc.

In terms of compatibility....it isn't really an issue because all will have to meet the minimum reference design level provided by Nvidia. Some might indeed have higher clocks due to default overclocks & better component quality but at their base level, compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

Build quality and reliability can 100% vary and indeed this has been an issue that has affected the 3080's, specifically the quality of the power capacitors on the back of the card, see this video for more on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6bUUEEe-X8

I think the key thing is that whereas a PS5 is a collection of components (not all manufactured by Sony) and software working in tandem, a GPU is just a single component. People do indeed stress about which partner card to buy as some are objectively better than others & that is just the nature of the GPU market.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
In terms of prices....yes, depending on what the board partners decide to do it can make a big difference as some will stick close to the reference design while others will go all out with features and high quality capacitors etc.

In terms of compatibility....it isn't really an issue because all will have to meet the minimum reference design level provided by Nvidia. Some might clock indeed have higher clocks due to component quality but at their base level, compatibility wouldn't be an issue.

Build quality and reliability can 100% vary and indeed this has been an issue that has affected the 3080's, specifically the quality of the power capacitors on the back of the card, see this video for more on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6bUUEEe-X8

I think the key thing is that whereas a PS5 is a collection of components and software working in tandem, a GPU is just a single component. People do stress about which partner card to buy as some are objectively better than others & that is just the nature of the GPU market.

The capacitor thing has been completely debunked, card makers didnt get drivers until very late ...... some Youtubers got them before manufacturers.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
The capacitor thing has been completely debunked, card makers didnt get drivers until very late ...... some Youtubers got them before manufacturers.

Ahh thanks! That's fair enough. I had not kept up to date with that since seeing the video. Good to see it was a driver issue rather than hardware.