• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Mueller himself says Trump is clean then I'll honestly believe it.

But lets be real, everything publicly available says this is highly unlikely.
Agreed. If he says Trump is clean in regards to Russia hijinks, fine, I believe it. But I have no doubt Trump will get nailed eventually for criminal actions in his finances and with covering up affairs.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Damn. I had a feeling this was going to happen sooner rather than later. I doubt McCabe would've been allowed to drop bombshells all over the morning shows if Mueller was still a long way from wrapping up.

I hope Barr knows what kind of shitstorm he's going to set loose if he refuses to make the report (or parts of it) public.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Mark Knoller @markknoller

Pres Trump says it's up to Attorney General Barr to decide whether and when to release the report of special counsel's Robert Mueller's investigation. During q&a in Oval Office, Pres also says he hasn't considered replacing Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats.

2:02 PM - Feb 20, 2019

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Possibilities:

1) He might truly be done, Trump may be proven guilty or he may not.
2) Barr has successfully killed the investigation
3) there's a provision in Mueller's appointment that if he recommends something that's against DoJ rules(like indictment of the POTUS) it triggers an automatic report. This may be what's happening here.

SDNY is more threatening to Trump now anyway.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious- why would the timing of the report's submission affect your opinion on this? Seems pretty clear that Mueller was waiting out Whitaker before dropping the report. I'd think it's pretty likely that the reasoning behind that is due to there being some damning stuff in there that Mueller didn't trust Whitaker to curate.
Because I was still holding out hope that a couple more big fish would get indicted. Don Jr namely. If it's wrapping up next week that's out of the picture.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
If I had a dollar every time I heard this, I would have like 6-7$

I actually think this is the real deal. A lot of the prior reporting from last fall was that he was "readying his report", etc., which I bet was accurate as well. But then Sessions got canned and replaced by a Trump stooge. I think Mueller decided to wait him out.

Also- it's worth noting that the submission of this report wouldn't necessarily mean the end of the SCI. There are obviously still court proceedings that need to play out, and there's always the possibility of more indictments, sealed or otherwise, dropping around the time of the report or even a bit after. The report may only deal with the obstruction/conspiracy part of the investigation as it relates to the Trump campaign.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I was still holding out hope that a couple more big fish would get indicted. Don Jr namely. If it's wrapping up next week that's out of the picture.
You dont need Mueller to do the indictments. He did indictments for cooperation reasons and flipping. He can then hand off to other prosecutors to indict the end goal crooks.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like somebody says this every week
Trump's lawyers have been BSing that Mueller was wrapping up since 2017. The recent stories come from sources in DOJ, close to Rosenstein, etc - people who would be in a position to know- and are backed up by CNN's stakeout reporting. It's still not clear what 'wrapping up' means since there are still witnesses (Andrew Miller, Mystery Foreign Corp) Mueller was trying to get testimony from, but I think you have to be in denial to brush this off like it's another tale coming from Trump's defense team's ass. And given the mumblings have been around for weeks I don't think this is Barr stomping on the investigation.

Something is happening. And we should probably prepare to be massively disappointed, tbh. A lot of expectations have been set way too fucking high.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK

Not necessarily. I've seen the idea floated more than once that Mueller may wait to drop/unseal any bombshell indictments at or around the time of the release of the report in order to protect the investigation. Not saying it's going to go down that way, but it's still quite possible.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
A delayed report is eventually good.
A rushed report is a bad report forever.
-Robert Mueller

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The senate map was the worst it's been in a very long time. Folks bringing that up in response to characterizations of the midterm either don't understand this or are being disingenuous.

There is no question that the midterms were historically bad for republicans. Full stop. They were beaten very badly.

And yet they still hold a lot of the power right now.

I'm not disputing the fact that the midterms were bad for the GOP in the House, or even that they were historically bad. But that doesn't mean much if you don't do something with that momentum. Right now, they can't. The Republicans still control the Senate. The one thing the House tried to successfully accomplish - blocking border wall funding - was (for now) circumvented by the President anyway.

If this investigation finds that Trump committed no criminal act, creating another investigation in House committees and continuing to drag this out becomes very politically dicey for the Democrats, IMO. Do we really think a committee's going to find something Mueller didn't?

I for one would like the Dems to move on and offer a clearer vision of what the Green New Deal looks like. I recognize that's not just on the House members who have spoken up, but right now it just seems to be a lot of great ideas with no clear path to execution. How will it bring new jobs to areas that need it most? How do you train blue-collar workers once skilled in old manufacturing for those jobs? How can it repair and modernize existing crumbling infrastructure? I'd like to start hearing more specific policy points from the House Dems instead of "Donald Trump is trash."

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And yet they still hold a lot of the power right now.

I'm not disputing the fact that the midterms were bad for the GOP in the House, or even that they were historically bad. But that doesn't mean much if you don't do something with that momentum. Right now, they can't. The Republicans still control the Senate. The one thing the House tried to successfully accomplish - blocking border wall funding - was (for now) circumvented by the President anyway.

If this investigation finds that Trump committed no criminal act, creating another investigation in House committees and continuing to drag this out becomes very politically dicey for the Democrats, IMO. Do we really think a committee's going to find something Mueller didn't?

I for one would like the Dems to move on and offer a clearer vision of what the Green New Deal looks like. I recognize that's not just on the House members who have spoken up, but right now it just seems to be a lot of great ideas with no clear path to execution. How will it bring new jobs to areas that need it most? How do you train blue-collar workers once skilled in old manufacturing for those jobs? How can it repair and modernize existing crumbling infrastructure? I'd like to start hearing more specific policy points from the House Dems instead of "Donald Trump is trash."

False dichotomy. They can do more than one thing, and are.

Taking the House has radically altered how the country is being governed.

I'm tired of the "Trump will easily win" being a proxy war for dissatisfied progressives.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Trump won the election by like 70,000 critical votes in specific places. When I say he barely won, I mean he barely won. The idea that every single data point showing his support is lessening...his support among key constituencies like independents is awful, his approval is historically bad despite a good economy, his policies and actions are uniquely unpopular, and his party was destroyed in a mid-term despite record turn out of both sides...adds up to Trump not just winning, but easily winning? Please.
Specifically:
  • Wisconsin: +0.8% (22.7k)
  • Michigan: +0.3% (10.7k)
  • Pennsylvania: +0.7% (44.3k)
And to a certain extent:
  • Florida: +1.2% (112.9k)
I hope the farmers and factory workers in WI, MI and PA look at how the trade war's affected their industries, and how the tax plan's played out in reality versus how it was sold to the country (it hasn't paid for itself, it's drastically raised the deficit/debt, it did not focus on the middle class, and most companies spent their corporate tax savings on stock buybacks instead of raising wages/benefits or expanding which would add more employees).

EDIT - (Updated the numbers above, as the source I used wasn't actually using the final numbers.)

Last edited:

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
71azht1WUpL._SY606_.jpg

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
If the report does come out, I don't think it'll outright say "Remove Trump now" but it will make clear a large extent of Russia's involvement in the 2016 election. From that point I'd imagine they will hand off crimes uncovered to different departments, like what happened with Cohen.

Mueller from what I've read is a very by-the-books guy, his report will solely focus on that aspect and nothing else.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The report will ultimately be handed to Congress. The House and the Senate and the President.

THEY will decide Trump's fate, which means 2/3 of the ruling authority is already in Trump's pocket.

Don't get your hopes up for an early dismissal of President Trump's reign. This is just a primer for 2020 election ads. It won't be as incriminating as the Access Hollywood tape, which didn't even hurt Trump. But it will give voters, who can block out Trump's rhetoric, a clearer view of how much he's tied to Russia, as well as other questionable countries. It will come down to the voters on election day. The current Senate won't budge, that much is certain.

So, hang tight and don't be dismayed if the current Senate leadership just shrugs it off, if this IN FACT, the conclusion of Mueller's investigation. This is really about 2020 and beyond.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

I think a lot of the answer to this question hinges on whether or not Mueller actually subpoenaed Deutschebank. There's been some recent reporting that contradicts earlier reporting saying that they did... essentially saying that Rosenstein's job was threatened and he dialed back the probe into Trump's finances.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
So my bet is if something bad is in the report, we aren't seeing it and that will be the next big scandal. If it does exonerate Trimp then trump will go berserk on the media for the next 2 years.

Realistically I think we will see a combo of both of these things and Trump will skate the line of not doing anything to aid Russia but being the useful idiot for people who did work with Russia. And that's bothers me because Trump would rather scream that this kind of thing is a hoax than admit he was taken advantage of and I don't think enough of the public cares to hold him responsible for this kind of thing.

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
Mueller is like George R R Martin in that South Park episode where he keeps saying he'll order the pizzas. The general public are the kid with diabetes and low blood sugar.

OP
OP
bye

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
There's literally no way Trump comes out of this completely damage free based on what we already know. And based on the testimony with people very close to him, there's also so much we don't know. I remain optimistic tbh even if the timing of this seems soon

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
It was a company owned by a foreign government so it can't be Deutsche Bank.

Speculation is its Qatar.

I'm not talking about the "secret" Supreme Court case...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-05/deutsche-bank-said-to-be-subpoenaed-by-mueller

Maddow did a report on this, saying earlier reporting probably was premature because there was the threat of a Rosenstein firing that may have resulted in a non-execution of this subpoena.

This might be why Adam Schiff has been so adamant that this should be one of the House Intel committee's focus going forward.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Depends what Mueller found. He was looking for crimes. "Collusion" is not exactly a crime. There exists a possibility where something we'd call collusion happened, but no conspiracy indictment or other "collusion-y" charges are brought because Mueller couldn't find a way to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the conduct violated some specific criminal statute. Same with the other shady-ass dealings during the campaign. That's the whole risk with outsourcing the investigation to Mueller - it doesn't really capture the whole range of very bad and politically disqualifying, but not quite criminal, acts that could have occurred.

On the other hand maybe he could find the investigation was largely a big misunderstanding, Steele was fed disinformation and the dossier is entirely bogus, and the FBI overreacted to Trump firing Comey and hastily opened the investigation into the president himself which led to the appointment of the special counsel. In which case house dems better figure out how to sell the public on their investigations into Trump's other shady ass dealings as not a witch hunt, because good lord we're never going to heard the end of it from Trump if he's "exonerated" by Mueller.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
What if it's part 1: OBSTRUCTION OF JUSTICE

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
As much as some folks here want to believe the midterms were *the* bellwether, it's worth reminding that Senate Republicans, the group that confirmed Kavanaugh after the Ford allegations, GAINED seats.

Blows my mind that people can't wrap their head around how the Senate works.

There were 35 seats up for election. Dems won 24 of those 35 races. That's pretty decisive.

The reason they lost seats, despite winning 2/3rds of the races, is because the GOP was only defending 9 seats, compared to 26 for the Dems. That's what people mean when they say it was a 'bad map' for Dems. But make no mistake- they won and won handily both in the House and Senate.

If the 2018 midterms were any kind of precursor for what to expect in 2020, and I believe they were, Trump and the GOP are in trouble. Something seismic would need to happen to shift the tides back, IMO.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Sounds like Barr is going to try to shut it down. He snuffed out Iran Contra, of course he's going to try and stop this one too.

Mueller has been farming out cases in the past couple of months to other authorities. There are still dozens and dozens of sealed indictments, so I don't think this will actually end anytime soon.

Either we're set for a historic week, or more likely Mueller's work is done (figuratively speaking) and other people will be taking over at this point.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, didn't Trump try to obstruct again with Whitaker? Asking him to make a judge unrecuse himself?

Also I was expecting Jr, Kush and Corsi indictments.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Depends what Mueller found. He was looking for crimes. "Collusion" is not exactly a crime. There exists a possibility where something we'd call collusion happened, but no conspiracy indictment or other "collusion-y" charges are brought because Mueller couldn't find a way to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the conduct violated some specific criminal statute. Same with the other shady-ass dealings during the campaign. That's the whole risk with outsourcing the investigation to Mueller - it doesn't really capture the whole range of very bad and politically disqualifying, but not quite criminal, acts that could have occurred.

On the other hand maybe he could find the investigation was largely a big misunderstanding, Steele was fed disinformation and the dossier is entirely bogus, and the FBI overreacted to Trump firing Comey and hastily opened the investigation into the president himself which led to the appointment of the special counsel. In which case house dems better figure out how to sell the public on their investigations into Trump's other shady ass dealings as not a witch hunt, because good lord we're never going to heard the end of it from Trump if he's "exonerated" by Mueller.
This is one depressing ass post. Jesus.

I'd probably avoid the news for a year if any of this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.