• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Mulan’ Receives First PG-13 Rating for Disney’s Live-Action Remakes

Disney's live-action Mulan has received a PG-13 rating from the Motion Picture Association of America due to "sequences of violence."

Disney's live-action remake of Mulan has received a PG-13 rating from the Motion Picture Association of America due to "sequences of violence."

Mulan's PG-13 rating makes it the first Disney live-action remake of animated classics to receive a rating above PG, and the first title from Disney's live action studio to receive PG-13 since Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales in 2017.

Trailers have depicted Mulan as more of a fantasy war epic than a musical, which strays from Disney's remakes often following similar beats to the original films, plus or minus a few songs or characters. Yet with the rating signifying a slightly more grown-up tale of the Chinese legend, modern times have proved that PG-13 rated features can still play well for families.

Interesting. Hopefully we will see some cool wuxia swordplay in this film.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
So yes or no, does this film have musical numbers like the prior remakes?

I'm honestly hoping no....

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
"let's get down to business"
tenor.gif

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is so weird. I just saw a new trailer for this a week ago and my first thought was "This looks like it's gonna be PG-13".

Makes sense considering all the intense action scenes we've seen so far.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Ofc with the other movies they could get away with it, but when you have a movie centered around a big war and people fighting with swords, it's hard to escape that PG-13.

Also, I despised every Disney live-action so far, but I was excited for this cuz I love all the Mulan songs, shame its not a musical.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
200 million?

This is the first live action Disney that I think looks ok . . . but 200 million?

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
Hard pass on this unfortunately for me. The lead actress supports HK police vs the protesters while she herself has a US passport and can enjoy associated freedoms.

time.com

Here's What to Know About the 'Mulan' Boycott

#BoycottMulan trends again over new criticism for its filming in Xinjiang, the site of alleged human rights abuses against Uighurs

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
sorry

Would rather these remakes push more to be their own thing rather than what they've been thus far. Lion King in particular is wrong on so many levels but the inclusion of the musical numbers did it no favors.
But outside of Eddie Murphy and the musical numbers I don't really think Mulan has much else going for it

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
As soon as I heard that the original songs were not in this version I immediately lost all interest.

'Make a man out of you' is literally my favorite disney song and they're not even including it. Garbage

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
That's great for you, but maybe some people would like Asian culture reflected as something other than a gimmick.
How dare you insinuate I'm against Asian representation because I voiced disbelief that a remake that cuts 50% of the original movie's premise isn't a great remake. That's seriously clutching, and seriously a dick move.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
But outside of Eddie Murphy and the musical numbers I don't really think Mulan has much else going for it
While this may be true of the animated feature the live action adaptation seems to have more going for it than a 1:1 carbon copy, like a new villain who does magic and shit, cool wire-fu scenes, etc.
Remember that films like animated Mulan were playing off a specific template established with Aladdin, where Disney got into a routine of "must always be musical" and "must hire well-known comedian to play wisecracking non-human sidekick." I think Disney is trying to mix it up now that all the biggest names from the renaissance (TLK, Aladdin, BATB) except Mermaid are consumed. And that's okay!

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
That's great for you, but maybe some people would like Asian culture reflected as something other than a gimmick.

Bingo

Now, I've never actually seen the original and that's not why I'm interested in this. I'm interested because it's a big budget US film with an all Asian cast and notable female director.

Nov 13, 2017
Anecdotally speaking, I was kind of surprised to see how much disdain there is for this movie because of 1) the removal of all the music (honestly, Reflection and Man Out Of You are f*cking classics) and 2) the lead actress' support of the Hong Kong police.

I thought American audiences wouldn't really care, but the tracking is below $45M and the comments everywhere are negative.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Anecdotally speaking, I was kind of surprised to see how much disdain there is for this movie because of 1) the removal of all the music (honestly, Reflection and Man Out Of You are f*cking classics) and 2) the lead actress' support of the Hong Kong police.

I thought American audiences wouldn't really care, but the tracking is below $45M and the comments everywhere are negative.

I think they're betting more on China with this one but with theaters being shut down over there they're kinda screwed. If they'd seen this coming earlier i bet they would've delayed the American release out to the summer or around September. The only saving grace here is that the tracking is far enough out to see changes and if this movie is good it'll have legs. There aren't any major releases for this audience for like a month after it releases.

Jan 10, 2018
True, but they also had three months of reshoots - which is essentially reshooting an entire movie.

Also true. This whole project is so weird. A whole 200 mil movie for one market. The most expensive chinese movie released 2 years ago, was 112 in budget and was pulled from chinese theatres because it bombed.

Just why do this? Because you can?

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't get my hopes up expecting disney to accurately reflect asian culture.

But it is nice to see more Asians in American cinemas.

But I'll be sitting this out since the main actress is pretty shit about the HK protests.
It's not about pushing the envelope, as it is a matter of simply allowing Asian representation to push away from Western reference, especially in media. Our invisibility is already harm enough.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Also true. This whole project is so weird. A whole 200 mil movie for one market. The most expensive chinese movie released 2 years ago, was 112 in budget and was pulled from chinese theatres because it bombed.

Just why do this? Because you can?

Take a look at the global box office. Chinese movies made almost 6 billion dollars last year. There were weeks last year where a Chinese film topped the global box office without an american release. That's not even counting what they spent on foreign films. It's a massive market that is only getting bigger.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll bet $100 they put in the opening notes for Make A Man Out of You with like wind chimes or something halfway in the movie as a cutesy reference.