• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Disney's live-action adaptation of Mulan will be released on Disney+ on September 4th for $29.99 the company announced today.

Disney executives walked through the new plan for Mulan's release during an earnings call with analysts today.

"We thought it was important to find alternative ways to bring [Mulan] in a timely manner," Chapek added. In countries where Disney Plus is not available, Disney is releasing Mulan in theaters on the same date. The new release date follows Warner Bros.' announcement that Christopher Nolan's Tenet would get a staggered release. Tenet will open in approximately 70 international territories on August 26th before getting a limited release in the United States on September 3rd. It will go city by city in the United States as the country battles climbing coronavirus cases.

www.theverge.com

Mulan is heading to Disney Plus on September 4th for $30

Mulan is finally going to hit theaters after months of ongoing delays.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what?

It's going to be on Disney+, but you have to pay for it?

That makes no sense.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
The price is giving me Masterpiece Collection flashbacks

hqdefault.jpg

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pass. I am not interested paying $29.99 for a digital copy or rental

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They have no choice. Theatres won't be a thing in the US for at least a year....if they even make it back out.

bagomagik

Jan 8, 2019
We are moving into the home streaming of new releases that was expected and inevitable but not in the way we thought we would.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that a pretty good rental price for families, which is what this might primarily be aimed at?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been saying they needed to start doing this through Disney+.

$29.99 also isn't a bad price considering most people doing this will be families and this would match or even beat movie theater ticket prices.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
....that's pretty high, but Disney is probably like "well, we ARE losing x amount right now, need to make it higher to offset those losses!!" $20 a movie I get but $30? I feel like that IS the rental price, NOT purchase, considering :/

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Hard pass from me at that price, but pretty nuts they're doing that at all. Is it being released theatrically overseas?

Oct 27, 2017
Its interesting to see some kind of additional purchase/rental? options inside of D+ considering it is already a sub in and of itself... I didn't think it had that kind of functionality, but I supposed its probably a contingency given the likelihood of Covid related box-office revenue being much lower than expected.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I do have a question for Day 1 "rent movie in my house" people (since there are a number on here that do NOT like theaters). Does this work for you? Or is this not the price you expected?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
And here I thought Onward would be the norm. Is that just for the rental? Regardless I ain't lying $30 for a digital copy, especially not for fucking Mulan.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Jesus. Imagine if Netflix tried charging $30 for new movies on top of your Netflix subscription. I get that Disney is such a poor company that they can't possibly justify including Mulan in the $100/year I'm paying for Disney+, but at a certain point, it definitely seems like a pretty shit value proposition. There is pretty much a 0% chance I resubscribe once my year is up.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
High price but if you take into account that Disney will be missing on box office and a family of 4 will now buy it once instead of 4 tickets it makes sense.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Aren't rentals normally $20 for VOD new releases? $30 is a lot, but it's:

A. Cheaper than taking a family of four to see it in theaters.
B. Maybe the most expensive-to-make film to come out on VOD at the same time as theaters?

I do wonder if they'll do a rerelease later on, or have it available for U.S. theaters throughout the year, considering they'll need movies to show and different states will be at different levels for awhile.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'd pay more than this if they released movies online alongside cinemas. So $30 seems reasonable, especially if it's a keep forever sort of thing vs a one off cinema ticket price.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Pass. I am not interested paying $29.99 for a digital copy or rental

Personally I wouldn't do it for Mulan but definitely would for other family movies. Price would easily exceed that if my wife and I and the two kids go the theater, not to mention snacks. We did the digital release of Trolls World Tour as we were planning on seeing that before theaters shut down

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. Imagine if Netflix tried charging $30 for new movies on top of your Netflix subscription. I get that Disney is such a poor company that they can't possibly justify including Mulan in the $100/year I'm paying for Disney+, but at a certain point, it definitely seems like a pretty shit value proposition. There is pretty much a 0% chance I resubscribe once my year is up.
If a family of 3 went to the theaters to watch Mulan, it would cost at least $25-30, if not more. Since they're skipping the theatrical release in most major markets, it makes plenty sense to sell it for $30.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I see this I just remember how people were talking about having to pay like $400 bucks to get movies day one in their home theater or whatever

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
If you're taking a family of four to the movies after 5PM, you're going to be paying like $50 before tax. The price isn't that crazy.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I guess that price works if you're a family of 4+ that would've paid to see it in theaters. But there's only two of us, and we always go for matinee pricing, so that's pretty much double what we'd have normally paid to see it. No thanks, lol.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, I didn't think Disney would every do a digital release for something as big as Mulan. But if the theaters aren't going to be fully open until December or so guess there isn't another choice.

They have no chance charging a premium like this.

Three of my friends with families spent $20 for Scoob. They will definitely pay $10 more for Mulan.