• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
www.videogameschronicle.com

Nintendo has big plans for Super Mario Bros.’ 35th anniversary | VGC

Celebrations will see Mario’s 35-year back catalogue remastered for Switch…

As part of its anniversary celebrations, Nintendo will reveal plans to re-release most of Super Mario's 35-year back catalogue this year, remastered for Nintendo Switch, VGC was told.

Nintendo will also release several other Mario titles in 2020, including a new instalment in the Paper Mario series.

The plans are set to be revealed alongside new details of Nintendo's partnership with Universal, and the pair's Super Nintendo World theme park attractions and animated Super Mario movie.

Nintendo has already unveiled one flagship licensing deal planned to commemorate the anniversary: a special interactive Lego Mario set which sees players collecting coins and defeating enemies in real-life 'levels'.

The Super Mario 35th Anniversary reveal was originally due to take place as a physical event at E3 in June, VGC was told, but Nintendo is now reviewing its plans in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. E3 2020 has been cancelled due to the virus outbreak and Nintendo could instead opt for a digital showcase.

UPDATE:
Jason Schreier and Eurogamer corroborate

www.eurogamer.net

Sources: Nintendo Switch 2020 line-up dominated by Mario games old and new

Nintendo Switch's first-party line-up for the rest of 2020 will be dominated by Mario games old and new, to coincide wi…

UPDATE 2:
Gematsu shares more details on the lineup:
www.gematsu.com

Rumor: Super Mario back catalog and several other Mario titles coming to Switch in 2020 [Update 2]

Nintendo will celebrate the 35th anniversary of Super Mario in 2020 by re-releasing “most of” the series’ back catalog and several other Mario titles for Switch, according to VGC …
Gematsu has heard similar reports, specifically in regards to Super Mario 3D World Deluxe, a new Paper Mario title, and high-definition remasters of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf that's cool, Mario Galaxys and Sunshine? That would be great with normal controls and all.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I seriously doubt this.

Nintendo drips and drips their stuff.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I'll believe it when I see it. Way too many outlandish rumors floating around

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That's.... a lot of Mario games.

Still, there are a bunch of games I'd rebuy in a heart beat.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good year to be a plumber indeed.

HD Super Mario Galaxy (2) would be legit.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
very excited to be disappointed again by paper mario

Yep. I'm not gonna get my hopes up for this.

But it will be nice to play Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy on the go. I mean a Galaxy port is already done because it was ported to the Nvidia Shield, which is literally a Switch.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's true for a second, given that Marios 25th anniversary celebration ... was that rerelease of mario all stars, lol. But I really want to believe that we might see remasters of all the earlier major 3d marios.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who doesn't like Mario that much (I'm a Wario guy myself), I'm not excited at all. I already own the classic 2D games almost every platform I own and I'm pass this if real. Good for younger gamers though.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
If it's a bunch of older ports, this would make sense
Do you mean like Mario All-Stars?

Those are already available in the NES and SNES online. The games that is.

That leaves for mainline:

SM64
Sunshine
Galaxy duo
3D Land/World
the rest of the New Series

I can't see Nintendo, which is super conservative about spacing stuff out, release even ports of all these in just one year.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I would love to get the Galaxy games on Switch. But, if the port of Mario 3D world is for this year and odissey 2 for the next, I don't see them until 2022 at least.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Imagine it's just a 3D World port, Paper Mario, and All-Stars on SNES NSO. Maybe Mario 64 on N64 NSO as well.

Really doubt we'll see 64 , Sunshine, and Galaxy ports/remasters all in the same year. 2D and 3D Mario Collections would be fucking dope though.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
There's a few games i would rebuy/replay, but not everything. Paper Mario only if it's like 64 and TTYD again, skip otherwise.

I hope that 2021 is going to be a good year for either a mute elf-guy or a mute space bounty hunter. Or both.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I would very much enjoy playing SM64, Sunshine and Galaxy (1+2) on switch.

Paper Mario and Thousand Year door would be bonus! However, I can see this becoming very expensive...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
"Good year to be a plumber" indeed...

Oh man if we get the Galaxies in HD and some new Mario games on top of that I will be a happy camper.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a bit overkill no? Though playing Galaxy 1 and 2 or 3D World on my Switch would be fantastic. Sunshine can stay where the sun doesn't shine.
Why? Remember the current Paper Mario is the way it is because the M&L series was thought to already cover Mario RPGs and now that AlphaDream is gone...
Yeah this is the only thing that might let them make an actual Paper Mario again.

Status
Not open for further replies.