• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Probably one of the most hyped games of this year, F2P, 2D fighter simply lost majority of the hype it had few weeks after the release. Looking at Steam numbers, the decline of players is really, really drastic and releasing updates and new characters is not helping the game keep the players interested. Did you expect the game to decline this drastically and this fast or not?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's far from dead, but at any case it is a game sustained by memes, and memes tend to die.

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa what, I hadn't kept up but are the numbers really tanking that bad?

Maybe the OW2 launch stole its thunder?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
People just overestimate what this first couple week numbers means on f2p games. Honeymoon phase is over.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I thought the game was doing alright from what I've heard but upon checking steam charts it does indeed to decline pretty quickly.

SHhcM2C.jpg

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I feel like it needs something like items for a casual audience to stay. It's very focused on skill without any modes to just fool around (last time I played at least)

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Its too hardcore for me:

-Hard as shit to read whats happening on screen

-Maps are boring

-No single player (any casual player will get fed up with matchmaking. Theres no story or challenge mode or something like mini games)

-No supers or items (I want supers because its fun to work towards and press a button for something awesome to happen)

-No stock mode from what I last recall

-Tons of passives and cooldowns that you have to memorize and understand

Did the game have AI? I dont even remember

I dont want to sweat to win in a game like this. I want to have silly fun with friends and this game is built with such a hardcore audience in mind

Also hardcore players complain about lag which seems to have gotten worse

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I keep hearing this but it feels super different to me from Smash. Why do people feel this way?
Yep it does feel different, and is why I didn't play it after a few days. I would rather play what I thought it'd feel like, which is Smash. Not saying it's a bad game, it's just what I went through with it.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Normal decline for a game happened. Only rarely do games not decline like that. Can still easily see it bounce up and down depending on new content.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I keep hearing this but it feels super different to me from Smash. Why do people feel this way?
Multiversus allows two dodges and two recovery special moves while in the air. Multiversus doesn't have a shield/grabing options, and Multiversus is primarily focused on 2v2 competitive. Problem is that there isn't many stages many of the ones in the game suck.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Games started feeling really samey and it's too much chaos, without the fun chaos of Smash items. That and a bunch of other new games have grabbed my attention.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Normal decline for a game happened. Only rarely do games not decline like that. Can still easily see it bounce up and down depending on new content.

None of the new characters have done anything for it.

It is a f2p game and was a game of the moment. That meant lots could try it. But in the end it appealed to few.

The normal decline after launch, it's still doing good.

A game that went from hundreds of thousands concurrent down to single digit thousands is not doing well relative to what it was. Especially against all the hype it had. It's losing more and more players as time goes on

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible net code and weird hitboxes happened.

I still play it. But over 50% of my games in a session I end up lagging. Double jumping that pulls you down off stage, randomly dying, weird glitches that cause your controls to get flipped.

Where tf is ranked

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I feel like it needs something like items for a casual audience to stay. It's very focused on skill without any modes to just fool around (last time I played at least)
That's the problem that all the platformer fighters have, they try to be only for core gamers and don't have the casual and chaotic fun that Smash has.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
it's mid, people played their share and moved on. it's a shallow, flavor of the month Smash clone with not a hundredth of the care put into it and no reason to keep playing. who is this even for? fans of the characters? they got the reason people play Smash (or other platform fighters or hell, fighters in general) backwards, then failed to service the people who picked it up because their fave is in.
It was never going to last.

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
I dropped the game pretty quick.

Not having blocking, grabs, knockdowns, wakeups, or ledge grabbing makes it too simple. There's not enough gameplay depth. It's purely movement, attacks, jumping, and dodging.

Also lots of confusing buffs/debuffs that aren't clearly understandable, some of which are worded. I don't have time to read text in a game as hectic as this

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
24-hour peak on Steam was 5,620 players. It's not what it was at launch, but that's very healthy. Especially for a fighting game.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty extreme drop but people tend to come back for new characters somewhat atleast. I'm glad they made it crossplay so that matchmaking did not suffer from it at all. They going to keep dropping new characters (next one for Tuesday, already being teased), hopefully ranked mode soon. I think the game will be fine but its a huge drop in numbers indeed.

I also run into quite a lot of people playing it on Epic Gamestore for some reason.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I basically just played bot matches until i finished the battle pass and then dropped it. Havent decided if I will pick up the next one. AND for some reason the bot matches were laggy af. very terrible experience. Something is seriously wrong with connections in that game.

Probably unpopular opinion, but I also think it was a mistake to say that all battle pass items are not exclusive to the battle pass. FOMO should drive battle passes and bring more engagement. It was a very easy pass to get to the highest level, but if it wasnt, there would be absolutely no way I would dedicate time to that over something like Fortnite or overwatch 2 now.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
That is... Odd and surprising tbh. Didn't think I would care for it but rather I ended up really enjoying it a lot. I will say that while the challenges aren't too bad it takes far too long IMO to earn gold. And while I know it is F2P the in game purchases are priced waaaay too high. I guess some of them are considered normal for F2P these days but I absolutely refuse to pay some of those prices lol. 5 bucks for a single taunt. 20 bucks a skin etc. No SP stuff really either.

jedinagol

Jun 11, 2021
It has a decent roster but it's very much lacking in content beyond that. It has no solo content, there are only 6 multiplayer stages, and there's only basic VS modes to play.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
It's just not a mainstream game or genre. Like, do we know how many people actually play Smash on a monthly basis? I'd wager it's not that many outside of the core competitive crowd.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see much reason to keep playing it. There isn't a lot of content that isn't endlessly replaying versus. There also aren't a lot of stages and they feel very samey. And if you're not spending money it takes a long time to unlock characters. I understand that this is to incentivize people to spend money on the game but also doesn't help the feeling that there isn't much to do when you only have a couple characters to play with.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
The gameplay sucked ass compared to other brawlers and the monetisation was dogshit.

Absolutely not surprised that it fell off a cliff.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Feels to me like it's mostly down to the fact that fighter games just aren't as popular as many other genres out there. It caught the main stream audience for a bit there, but I'm guessing that - just like me - there were plenty of people that usually never play these games that dipped out after they've had their fill.

I also think it's the combination of being pretty dang competitive (while not having a ranked mode still, wtf) and it's yet another game where you really have to stay on top of the patch notes and I don't think many people aren't down for that either. Come back after a week of not playing and you might find out that your favorite character has been nerfed to the ground, or realize that one character you always dominate suddenly demolishes you. Feels more important to stay on top of things in this game compared to many of the other games I have to treat as homework with following all the updates and patches.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
A lot of features aren't implemented yet, so there's only the battling going on and a good majority of people won't want to be playing just that for months on end.

That said, it's not dead or anything. It's still getting regular updates and the player base is still relatively healthy (in that it's not difficult to find matches).

Syinn

Jun 14, 2021
I feel I lost interest in the game due to some characters over reliance on item based combat, these abilities were too easily spammed and in the right hands (sweaty/pro players) it made it pointless for less hard-core people to play.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Before I get into other stuff, I just want to say that while it is normal for F2P games to have a sharp dropoff after the game's big release, losing 95% of its concurrent players over the course of 2 months is DEFINITELY not a normal thing for a "healthy" game. Usually the decline is 75-90% and it's over a longer period of time. And MVS still has not plateaued, it's peak on Monday was 7223 on Steam and Thursday it was 5600. So the numbers being fine now doesn't mean much because unless things change they potentially won't be in 3 or so months.

The game just isn't very good and while the support has been frequent, it hasn't really given the game what it really needs to be successful in the long-term while some of the game's systems have really started to show their faults. The whole game just feels rushed and thrown together as quickly as possible at pretty much every point. For example this is the hurtboxes that the game launched with:

embarassing.png

Many of the game's design principles feel like they were chosen either because it superficially made it play differently from Smash, or because they didn't have time to come up with anything better. 1v1 is rough because the game's dodge is extremely powerful and costs very little to use, so unless you're highly skilled you're going to have a very hard time stringing more than one or two hits together. 2v2 fixes this a bit because you got 2 opponents you have to worry about, but still doesn't feel very good and introduces the problem of having to deal with the game's matchmaking for your teammate if you don't have a friend to play with. 3 player matches are still not possible, and 4 player FFA is a complete joke.

The game lacks the fun modes and options (as well as 8 player games) which make Smash such an excellent casual game, and the game is an imbalanced mess with no Ranked mode still, so it's not great for competitive players either. The game's been out for over two and a half months at this point, and aside from the hurtbox rework they did (which frankly just gave the characters the hurtboxes they should have had in a pre-alpha that wasn't even playable to the public) most the updates have just been balance changes (which haven't really made the game feel much more balanced) and new characters which are cool, but not really enough to keep people playing when the rest of the game is so barebones. It's got 1 new stage since launch, and the weak stagelist is one of the bigger problems with the game currently. The biggest issue though is the game's netcode, which has degraded significantly since launch and has caused some people to only get unplayably bad matches. (Before people say this is an overpopulation issue, the game ran much better at launch when there was significantly more people playing)

The game as a whole just feels like wasted potential. They had an extremely hot game idea and instead of taking their time and making it as good as possible before release with the features that it needed to last, they rushed it out as quickly as possible. And that could have been fine if WB had stepped in and given them the resources they needed to get the game up to quality as quickly as possible, but that seemingly hasn't happened either. The game is likely still going to end up stabilizing at some point where there's enough players to keep development going (Steam makes up 15-20% of the game's total population from what I can tell) so I don't think the servers are going to go down tomorrow or anything. But it should have been much more than this, there's absolutely no reason why Brawlhalla should be pulling better Steam numbers than it.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
For the heck of it I looked up some other fighting game number on steam, picking games featured at EVO 2022. I know these games might be more popular on other platforms. My point is kinda that steam stats are a lot of times useless when guaging popularity. And looking at the numbers below, multiversus will probably be fine in ragards to player base. If it sits around MK11, the company probably won't pull the plug.

EDIT: Darn it! Someone pointed out I forgot Tekken. I felt that something was missing.

Game24 hour peak30 days peakAugust peak (EVO month)
Multiversus560021558139095
Tekken 76670115189109
Street fighter 5261937063627
Mortal kombat 11359850293186
Guilty gear strive2489409510994
Dragon ball fighterz240737123391
King of fighters 1584012252120
Melty blood type lumina2635284021
Skullgirls 2nd encore2003651115
Granblue fantasy versus176252427
Source: steamcharts.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
For the heck of it I looked up some other fighting game number on steam, picking games featured at EVO 2022. I know these games might be more popular on other platforms. My point is kinda that steam stats are a lot of times useless when guaging popularity. And looking at the numbers below, multiversus will probably be fine in ragards to player base. If it sits around MK11, the company probably won't pull the plug.

You are comparing the game released more than 3 years ago to few months old game.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

Kinda weird you left tekken off that list lol

emgeejay

Aug 8, 2018
www.polygon.com

MultiVersus’ new patch makes leveling up harder

Rick Sanchez also joins the game’s roster
According to the patch notes from developer Player First Games, the XP requirements for progressing from level 3 to level 15 have been doubled. The developer says that it's making the change because it felt that players were progressing through the levels too quickly, and it wanted to "make it a bit more of a journey."

The only problem is, despite increasing the time it takes to earn these levels, Player First Games didn't increase the rewards that players get for progressing. So it's more work for the exact same reward.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I tried a match, it didn't feel anywhere near as smooth as Smash. And if I were to play one I would always choose Smash.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
It's just not a mainstream game or genre. Like, do we know how many people actually play Smash on a monthly basis? I'd wager it's not that many outside of the core competitive crowd.
We don't know what the current monthly player count is. The only concrete info we have is from the last Smash presentation from last year where it was stated the game had been played for 2.2 billion hours total and there were over 7.8 billion online battles. The same presentation states that the game has had 11.7 billion offline battles as well.

It's hard to directly compare it to Multiversus but at least Smash's player count at the time were clearly very good and more people were playing it than just the hardcore crowd.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's doing ok for now but the game was clearly released too early and I'm not confident the rollout of characters will be enough to sustain interest in the game long term. The game is a little too janky and a little too simplistic to play consistently for months on end, and I think that's a big weakness given how the game's business model is meant to monetize those dedicated players.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Game is OK, fun enough, nothing that makes it truly exceptional like Smash does so yeah, not surprised that it dropped. After a few days I felt like I didnt have an urge to play it anymore.

Games that are derivative of other games really need to push the envelope in a particular direction if they want to have staying power and Multiversus has some uniqueness to it but it also feels exceedingly safe, like it was made in a lab and its a shame, they should have gone full insanity in order to have a chance.