• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
I'm not much of a copywriter anymore and I'll try to keep this short with a tl;dr.

As Atomic Heart is more relevent atm, some info about it first. Mundfish is a russian studio (relocated, but still silent about their stance on the war, huh). Atomic Heart is being published by VK in Russia and some other countries nearby. Any money coming into Mundfish - be it investments or sales - is at least going to be taxed by the russian state and turned into rockets to fire on civilian targets in Ukraine.

Other studios mentioned in the thread title are also taking russian money, see this thread:

View: https://twitter.com/fj_undead/status/1613983730846007298

And a disgusting bonus from the press-event Mundfish held recently. There's a reason displaying USSR symbols is specifically prohibited by law in many countries such as Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and others - Russia's neighbours have suffered too much of this shit:

View: https://twitter.com/MWorldII/status/1595805975608725504

Bonus quote from Sergey Mohov (Remedy):

View: https://twitter.com/krides/status/1613565417104052225

tl;dr
If you care about what's happening in Ukraine and other places russian army defiles and defiled previously, maybe don't give money to these studios. You can live without a gimmick FPS that went through development hell and back. I suggest you to spend some money on this bundle instead.

Last edited:

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Also if anyone believes they are actually working out of Cyprus, that is highly unlikely. Cyprus is known for it's extremely lax financial laws, and if you Google their address, there are pages of other businesses using the exact same location which, as per Google maps, appears to be a semi-residential looking neighborhood.

Seems extremely likely that they are just a Russian studio who incorporated in Cyprus to avoid bad PR or the specter of a Russian media ban across the West in light of the war.

I have no comment or insight about the studio's actual politics, and I understand that publicly opposing the war while headquartered in Russia would be suicidal, but the Cyprus thing does not seem to match reality.

deft

Oct 27, 2017
Also if anyone believes they are actually working out of Cyprus, that is highly unlikely. Cyprus is known for it's extremely lax financial laws, and if you Google their address, there are pages of other businesses using the exact same location which, as per Google maps, appears to be a semi-residential looking neighborhood.

Seems extremely likely that they are just a Russian studio who incorporated in Cyprus to avoid bad PR or the specter of a Russian media ban across the West in light of the war.

I have no comment or insight about the studio's actual politics, and I understand that publicly opposing the war while headquartered in Russia would be suicidal, but the Cyprus thing does not seem to match reality.

Please forgive my ignorance, but if they're incorporated in Cyprus wouldn't they be taxed in Cyprus?

While wages for the Russian studios would have been paid out with personal tax regardless of sales.

If you're looking to VK as an investor, then sure there's an argument for taxed dividends (if any lol)

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
shamefull that this gets so little attention. fuck mundfish for not taking a clear stance on russias war and trying to hide the fact that the devs are located in russia.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I was under the impression that the Mundfish devs could not take a clear stance because of a risk of retaliation against them/their lives by Russia? Am I misinformed?

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
If they are Russian and announce they are anti war aren't they arrested or conscripted?

Apr 2, 2021
I was under the impression that the Mundfish devs could not take a clear stance because of a risk of retaliation against them/their lives by Russia? Am I misinformed?
While Russia officially has freedom of speech and press I think the government retaliates against people a lot. They probably would tank the studio or something.

I can't even think of a single story in the last 15 years where prominent Russian spoke out and its not immediately followed by them being imprisoned or mysteriously dying. I'm a uninformed dumb guy though so maybe I shouldn't run my mouth since I get everything from US media, and they might want to play up Russia being deadly and an enemy of free speech.

Nov 8, 2017
If they are Russian and announce they are anti war aren't they arrested or conscripted?

It's illegal to make statements in opposition to the war but enforcement is highly variable and the laws are a bit vague. There are people who do make contrary statements but don't get got. There's a Russian youtuber who doesn't directly talk about it but does indirectly make it very clear he's opposed to the war and thinks the Russian army is a joke (warlockracy) and he got a door knock from FSB agents.

Some mundfish people in their discord did oppose the war.

It's not likely you'll ever see a full public statement because that's obivously dangerous unless they really did leave the country completely (which they probably didn't). It's also believable that the studio would have a mix of opinions on the war because... I mean they're Russians. Some will oppose, some probably support and some are probably indifferent.

jonasvutt

Jan 17, 2018
While the invasion is still taking place, I just don't feel like supporting anything that comes from Russia. And I don't care if the devs are pro/against the war or if it's fair to put everyone inside the same bag.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
While the invasion is still taking place, I just don't feel like supporting anything that comes from Russia. And I don't care if the devs are pro/against the war or if it's fair to put everyone inside the same bag.
same. supporting this game (yes, this includes gamepass) means you are supporting russias war with your money. simple as that.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Important thread. Thank you for making it.

It seems that many Mundfish developers, as many Russians, are actually in favour of Russia invading Ukraine. Moreover, financial success of Atomic Heart will directly / indirectly benefit Russian regime.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I guess Microsoft has gone with the "both sides" route by putting both this and Stalker 2 on GamePass.
It sucks since Atomic Heart really looked promising and I have the PC GamePass but... yeah...

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
FmYsL7LXoAAdLYv
My head hurts

Valkyria

Oct 26, 2017
I'm ok. Can we boicot then every american company because of the interventions of the US government in other countries?

We have to be careful to cancel people because the country they were born.

Last edited:

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
Important thread. Thank you for making it.

It seems that many Mundfish developers, as many Russians, are actually in favour of Russia invading Ukraine. Moreover, financial success of Atomic Heart will directly / indirectly benefit Russian regime.

I'm trying to look into this myself.

Where did you learn about many Mundfish devs supporting the invasion?

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok. Can we boicot them every american company because of the interventions of the US government in other countries?

the us is invading another country and raping, murdering tens of thousands of civilians?! wtf is wrong with you?

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm kinda weirded out by this thread, is there somewhere that Mundfish has publicly supported the war or is this more like "everyone in Russia deserves to starve due to their government"?

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I get the concerns about where the money is going and their stance on the war being unclear but the symbolism seems like a stretch since it's part of the game's theme.

That being said, I've no intention buying any games of Russian origin for the foreseeable future.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to look into this myself.

Where did you learn about many Mundfish devs supporting the invasion?

Well I cannot say I learned about it. It is just my guess. First of all, most Russians support the war. They must be aware of connections of their company to Russian government. They also take part in company events in which the scenography is typical for pro-war and communist happenings.

Fj7GyooXoAAU3SE

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I don't think not denouncing the war is the same as showing support for the war. Easy to say on the outside when all of Era are laughing and making jokes about some Russian guy falling out of a window when that's maybe a real possibility for someone speaking up.

That said my head spins looking at that chart, but I'm not suprised. I'm sure a lot of US money and grants comes pro military conservative places that are happy about afganistan civilian headcount while Call of Duty breaks another record.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I'm ok. Can we boicot then every american company because of the interventions of the US government in other countries?

This is kind of where I'm at too. It reminds me a bit of people blaming Chinese citizens for the crimes of the CCP or Saudi Arabian citizens for the crimes of the Saudi Royal Family.

As the world becomes increasingly globalized it's going to be more and more difficult to spend money in morally justifiable ways. TenCent has stake in an awful lot of the gaming industry. It'll only get more and more. We have to do what is right with our own morals, and be careful not to paint entire countries worth of people a certain way.

420blzUP

Oct 6, 2022
the us is invading another country and raping, murdering tens of thousands of civilians?! wtf is wrong with you?

I am boycotting AH anyway so this is just some devil's advocate stuff... But you do know that the US only left Iraq like a year ago right? Or do the 300.000 iraqi civilian deaths don't count because they are brown?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well I cannot say I learned about it. It is just my guess. First of all, most Russians support the war. They must be aware of connections of their company to Russian government. They also take part in company events in which the scenography is typical for pro-war and communist happenings.

Fj7GyooXoAAU3SE
Isn't the communist decor more likely because the game takes place in an alternate universe USSR?

Edit: or is that event not directly related to atomic Heart?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm not sure what's this for even.
Like, a Russian developer took investments from a major Russian bank (and all major Russian banks are state-affiliated because it's a kleptocracy). I don't need a complex graph to believe that. And there is no purpose to it beyond the main point.
Yeah pretty much. . If you don't want to support any of these Russian based studios because of Russia's invasions that's your own choice and it's valid.

We don't need a Q type investigative twitter thread and mindmap flowchart to come to that conclusion.

Russian based studios like Owlcat getting funds from Russian VCs or banks seems normal. You don't have to trace the money or try cancelling them if you don't want to support them because of the invasion. I don't think it's fair to call them out for not denouncing the war when they don't have much freedom to speak out on it at all.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Being a citizen of an autocratic regime is not a crime.

Not speaking out against a government known for harsh reprisals with no guaranteed (or tenuous at best) freedom of speech/press is not tantamount to endorsing that governments crimes.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda weirded out by this thread, is there somewhere that Mundfish has publicly supported the war or is this more like "everyone in Russia deserves to starve due to their government"?
This is the vibe I'm getting here unless something more concrete is brought to light I've missed that they are supporting the war and celebrating the horrible things their government are doing.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Where does it say Owlcat supports the war? I didnt see anything in the twitter thread.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This this does not explain how Focus Home (a french public Company) made e a deal with Mudfish while being sanctioned.

Do we really know if the money for Atomic Heart goes to Russia? And the same is happening with MS, logically both MS and Focus shouldn't be allowed to make deals with Russian companies.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
You go there, become someone with a platform, make your whereabouts known to the authorities and proudly and loudly speak up.
These kleptocratic assholes will jail you, kill you, go after your family for that shit.

Jul 19, 2020
Don't look up what the US's dear allies Israel and Saudia Arabia are doing to their neighbors.
Or what atrocities US institutions are currently allowing and/or actively complicit in towards indigenous people, especially women, throughout the country (as well as all the other ethnic minorities living there)
Or what US forces have done within living memory in Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, and others.

Being a citizen of an autocratic regime is not a crime.

Not speaking out against a government known for harsh reprisals with no guaranteed freedom of speech/press is not tantamount to endorsing that governments crimes.
This, essentially. Boycott these studios if you choose, I would never argue against someone deciding that, but people trying to act like its a moral imperative others should follow while simultaneously not applying the same standard to other countries also guilty of incredibly heinous acts right now is hypocritical at best. If you are arguing that the mere fact these companies may pay taxes to a government involved in these crimes is reason enough that others HAVE to avoid backing them there is no coherent argument against applying that standard to other countries such as the USA.

apanasik

Nov 5, 2022
Cyprus
First of all, most Russians support the war.
You can check last pools, for example: https://meduza.io/feature/2022/11/3...ut-55-rossiyan-za-prodolzhenie-voyny-tolko-25

The percentage supporting the war has fallen. Right now about 55% of Russians in favor of peace negotiations with Ukraine, and only 25% are in favor of continuing the war.

Also, want to point one thing: Owlcat, Mundfish and other studios right now legally registered in other countries rather then Russia. And most of their employees are not in Russia right now. So the point about "paying taxes in Russia" is not valid. The only one concern here — is Atomic Heart's release in VK store.

Last edited:

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia

Fj7GyooXoAAU3SE

Directly from Steam : "FoxusSexus (an employee at Mundfish who posts a lot of Atomic Heart related content on his youtube channel) talked about the conflict in a community post. TL;DR no they don't support the invasion."

"A lot of people wanted to see Mundfish's commentary on the situation (which doesn't really make much sense), but instead there are comments from the studio staff. Many employees of the gaming industry spoke out on the situation in an open letter.
There were quite a few employees of the studio, and some of them expressed their thoughts;

"I am against this war and against the government that unleashed it. No one should suffer because of a handful of preoccupied tyrants. Enough! No war"

"NO WAR! Who are you fighting against, you scumbags?"

"I am against war"

"Many say it was necessary, but this is a mistake that has lasted for many years. Ukrainians are our brothers, and it warms my soul that many of them do not blame the whole people for this mistake. The war was not to be started and must be stopped immediately."
Source: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm...unity?lb=UgkxV40Z7r5bAMLL6G4su5L8Cr9eX7_JIv-P

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
You go there, become someone with a platform, make your whereabouts known to the authorities and proudly and loudly speak up.
These kleptocratic assholes will jail you, kill you, go after your family for that shit.

Yup. Putin and his cronies suck the country dry and destroy any ability to live clean and succeed (yes the flowchart is real for most RU companies, as is many money laundering ventures worldwide; its not an excuse to windowlick a meme in response), so gung ho imperialist or not, you could end up filling salt mines outside Bakhmut.

Mafia states destroy until they are wrenched off the countries they spawned from. I'll keep my eye on any devs actually Zing it up tho.

Now back to several posters barging in here to drive the thread into a ditch.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
That first Twitter account has 22 followers and joined Twitter 1 month ago. A bit hard to make anything of that with a nonexistent following. If you don't want to support any company with any relation to Russia, that's fine and certainly fair for you based on what is happening. I think characterizing the devs stances on the invasion as them being for it with zero evidence is a bit inflammatory and a massive reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.