• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Absolutely remarkable work by dangerism and using AI upscale on the Wii version's textures. Check out the video in 4K here, it looks stunning:

Comparison sliders:

Comparison image taken from the video:

Z7EGUIJ.jpg

Link to thread to download the mod for Dolphin https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-muramasa-the-demon-blade-uhd

This only makes me want a full 4K remaster of the Vita version with all its very entertaining DLC expansions

J75

Sep 29, 2018
AI Upscale? These look like brand new redrawn assets! Devoid of any artifacts that I tend to see with these AI solutions. Incredible.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Shame the vita dlc won't be getting that, easily the best Muramasa content. Don't know how the vita assets would fare, i recall when characters talk in that version you get black dots changing size instead of mouth flaps.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
AI Upscale? These look like brand new redrawn assets! Devoid of any artifacts that I tend to see with these AI solutions. Incredible.
You can tell just from the comparison shot in the OP that there's some weirdness with her hand, and the way her face and flowers were interpreted are a bit different than you'd get from a human artist.

Still looks good overall though.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
We legit just have Vanillaware and Atlus being holdouts with releasing their stuff on PC.

Thankfully we got emulators for now.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Now i feel like the meme with the sweating guy having to press 2 buttons: Vita DLC (which are AMAZING) and localisation or 4k ?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Very nice. A good reminder that I still need to properly commit at doing the same for baten kaitos one day.... but having to play the game so the emulator extract the game textures you encounter really increase the time commitment it takes ... I kind of ended up hoping someone else would do it before me.... ^ ^;

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
That's looking crazy good! Funnily enough the 4K pack is how i remembered the game in my head, lol

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing work and I'll definitely use that for my next replay! :D Too bad we somehow can't get the Vita DLC in here and Vita emulation doesn't seem like it's happening any time soon either :(

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I tried implementing it and it looks really good - except for the texture seams here and there. That is unfortunately unavoidable. A true 4K version would require Vanillaware to step in and do a proper Remaster.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I tried implementing it and it looks really good - except for the texture seams here and there. That is unfortunately unavoidable. A true 4K version would require Vanillaware to step in and do a proper Remaster.
Not sure about Muramasa but I had this with the New Super Mario Bros. games; turning off AA seemed to remove all seams for me in that game.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the download would be a .rar or .7z file, having this download as loose files is so slow even with the "download as folder" option on MEGA.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
oh my, it can then take its crown for best looking 2d game back from Ori 2 :p

But seriously, i'm amazed we still didn't see some dev using that to re-release some old game, cause it seems so profitable and amazing.
Vanillaware artstyle is perfect for that of course

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

On very close inspection, looks like some pretty large liberties taken in the upscaling. Her stoic facial expression is completely changed, her fingers went bit melty, and all the flowers lost distinction (look at the bottom leaf, the line going down it and the leaf itself was completely straightened) Too much smoothing?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
oh my, it can then take its crown for best looking 2d game back from Ori 2 :p

Ori is 2d+3d (and more impressive in many ways) and will probably be a while before a nicer looking metroidvania releases.
Muramasa used mostly noninteractive and basic static disconnected little arenas (often reused) that you fight in so its not even comparable.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On very close inspection, looks like some pretty large liberties taken in the upscaling. Her stoic facial expression is completely changed, her fingers went bit melty, and all the flowers lost distinction (look at the bottom leaf, the line going down it and the leaf itself was completely straightened) Too much smoothing?
Also she suddenly wears a sausage on her head. :P

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Looks ok overall, but the details are off a bit. I can imagine the original artists would probably cringe looking at some of the defects.

Just goes to show you what Vanillaware could do with that art on modern systems though, one can dream

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017

this looks goofy as hell lol. I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out but her face definitely has issues. I'm assuming this is AI ??

If you miss the trees for the forest though, ten thumbs up

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
This is one of the few 2D games I've wanted to play, but never have gotten a chance to because of the platforms it's been on.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
*sigh* but instead we got dragon crown official remaster ....