• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
Wait are they going to finally expand the franchise by adding western warriors? Think of how awesome would be a Musou with added Greeks, Romans, Vikings and so on.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait are they going to finally expand the franchise by adding western warriors? Think of how awesome would be a Musou with added Greeks, Romans, Vikings and so on.
just to let you know i'd consider Warriors: Legends of troy to be either the worst/second worst musou (of actual musou titles) But more characters from it/bladestorm would be nice to have in this game. We'll get more DoA and other KT franchise stuff. Wonder if we'll see a Pixie from Monster Rancher show up for the demon side or if monster rancher will stay a forgotten series.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Please let this be even better than the last one Orochi is the best warriors series alongside hyrule

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'll hype up William as "the hero of Ni-Oh is in the game!" and pretend All Stars never existed.
Speaking of, Yodo Dono in the game please. Any game with Chacha is automatically a better game.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I wonder if they'll hype up William as "the hero of Ni-Oh is in the game!" and pretend All Stars never existed.
One of the main disappointing things about William in All-Stars was that his character arc representation was obviously taken before the Nioh DLC. Otherwise, they would have done more interactions with him and Ryu Hayabusa, I'd imagine.

Also, since it'll likely be a long time before Samurai Warriors adds in Yasuke (if they ever do), can we get Nioh's version, instead?

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand why we're ahead in the Dynasty Warriors numbering, but why is Orochi?

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Omega Force bring the goods for this one. From what I hear Dynasty Warriors 9 was really bad...At least the last game in this series was pretty good though.

DW9 is pretty divisive, and it's also really flawed on top of that. So you got people that don't like the open world direction at all, and then even for those of us that do, it's hard to admit that DW9 is actually great at nailing that aspect.

Personally I've spent more time with, and vastly prefer, 9 over 8 (and also 7, purely gameplay wise). The storytelling, the historical nuggets and also the new combat system (which completely blows the old one out of the water imo) are more than enough for me. I don't have any attachment to the old stage system or charge system, so seeing both of those go is perfectly fine for me.

(Also to be clear, I don't like the charge system anymore for mainline DW. I'm definitely looking forward to the DW8 cast getting the Orochi treatment in WO4)

Oct 27, 2017
This just reminded me thats theres a functioning Switch version of Orochi 3 and we didn't get it in the west until now.

This also reminded me that we never got a new Songoku Basara from Capcom, which also makes me sad. I suspect the missing competition in this subgenre is the reason the most recent Warriors games like Fire Emblem and 9 turned out so middling.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PUT HER IN

latest

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing a little counting:

The DW8 series has 83 playable characters in total. I'm less familiar with SW but Wikipedia has SW4 pegged at 56 characters.

There's also Spirit of Sanada and Godseekers to consider (5 extra characters from SoS, not including different ages from Wikipedia again; 2 extra from Godseekers)

That means the roster is at least 140-ish characters, depending on if SoS and GS characters are included. This obviously also does not factor in Mystic or Guest characters.

This already puts the game nearly at WO3U numbers from the get go, which is kind of insane.

ShinRPGamer

Nov 4, 2017
Normally I'd be pumped for a new Warriors Orochi game but given how Fire Emblem Warriors and Dynasty Warriors 9 turned out...

Gonna take a wait and see approach with this one. Hopefully they don't mess this one up.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I'd be pumped for a new Warriors Orochi game but given how Fire Emblem Warriors and Dynasty Warriors 9 turned out...

Gonna take a wait and see approach with this one. Hopefully they don't mess this one up.

I dunno how FEW turned out (I don't have a Switch or any interest in getting one) but this game's already confirmed to be based off DW8

It also seems unlikely this game will be open world, because the Orochi universe is supposed to be merged China and Japan, and unless they've already been working on an open world SW5 for a substantial amount of time, they currently only have China to create an open world Orochi game with

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Hope we get lots of Guest characters again.

William seems like a given, but I want more Atelier characters. Maybe Escha and Logy, even if it's from the previous series.

ShinRPGamer

Nov 4, 2017
I dunno how FEW turned out (I don't have a Switch or any interest in getting one) but this game's already confirmed to be based off DW8

It also seems unlikely this game will be open world, because the Orochi universe is supposed to be merged China and Japan, and unless they've already been working on an open world SW5 for a substantial amount of time, they currently only have China to create an open world Orochi game with

That's a fair point but at the same time, it's kinda hard to be enticed by a new title after so many missteps over the past year.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
They should just use the Pirate Warrior games as a base for all Musou games going forward. The combat engine is miles ahead of anything else they have done and it feels so good to play. OW uses a mix of SW and old school DW and it feels so dated not to mention the garbage FOV they keep going with. Not sure if their partner ship with BM prohibits them from doing that but they really should start to think about moving away from old DW/SW engine and go with that if they can. SW4 was my breaking point with the Musous games but PW feels like such a refreshing take on the formula albeit maybe slightly aping Sengoku Basara slightly.

Have not played DW9 so maybe some people prefer that but anything is fine as long as they consider moving the genre forward just slightly even.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Ready for an insanely huge roster and endless demon slaying! Wonder what the new guest characters will be, i'd assume a chara from their attack on titan games and maybe even Guts from their berserk game.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe i'm the oddball, but i thought DW9's combat was trash (may have been due to the Framerate though since it felt so slow). Going to bet we're going to see a mystic or two have a few of the dw8 leftover weapon movesets. The real question is will we see any of the handheld characters from SW game that werent in SW4(forgot the name of the vita/3ds game), we're probably going to see one or some of the warriors all star original characters. DW9 characters will probably be skipped. Going to bet that Hayate will be in, and likely Zack (I'm willing to bet on Zack showing up in some way)
I wonder how they'll balance the SW4 moveset to work with the DW8 movesets though since we know its those two games. (were there new movesets in that Sanada game?)

Last edited:

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love DW9 combat but I just don't see it happening for practical reasons (SW cast is all still charge characters).

WO4 being DW8 style is perfectly fine for me because a lot of the systems in WO (team building aspect, tag switches etc.) remove a lot of the problems I personally have with the classic Warriors formula. Tag switches in particular make the very linear movesets way more fun to play around with.

The only thing that could be really disappointing to me is if the DW9 characters miss out on the fun. Aside from the different engines and different model quality between DW8 and DW9, it should be pretty easy to be cobble together a charge moveset a la DW6 > DW7 movesets (since everyone weapon but Lu Bu's in 9 got shared between multiple characters). I'll even be okay with DW9 characters getting the leftover DLC movesets instead (e.g. Revolving Crossbow for Man Chong, Stele for Hua Xiong, Piercers for Dong Bai, Yuan Shu and his silly shoes getting the Sabaton, Xin Xianying getting the Dual Fans, or maybe Xiao Qiao getting them and Xianying borrowing the single Fan instead etc.)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
While that might jive better with SW4 characters' hyper moves, it'd also be a huge kick in the teeth to DW9 players that will have to pay for new weapon skin DLCs.
They're already confirmed to use DW8 as the basis of the DW characters, so they'll likely have all of their DW8 weapons. Going back to the charge system is going to feel weird after enjoying the new flow system so much, though. They will have to work out something for the DW9 newcomers, I suppose, but Zhou Cang was already in a charge system game in Warriors All-Stars.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, got the feeling we wont see the newcomers from DW9, just because 1 WO3U never added the DW8 cast into ultimate but only added Xu shu into the game since he was DW7 empire's newcomer and WO3 never added the Samurai warriors 3ds/vita exclusive characters despite the new game being out for some months before WO3u's release. Best to assume we'll only get DW8 empires full cast, Samurai warriors is the oddball with it either being the SW4-2 cast or SW:Sanada added. Mystics will all come back with probably new ones too. Cameos will probably be similar with the soul calibur girl being the only exception due to KT not technically owning it.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Again, got the feeling we wont see the newcomers from DW9, just because 1 WO3U never added the DW8 cast into ultimate but only added Xu shu into the game since he was DW7 empire's newcomer and WO3 never added the Samurai warriors 3ds/vita exclusive characters despite the new game being out for some months before WO3u's release. Best to assume we'll only get DW8 empires full cast, Samurai warriors is the oddball with it either being the SW4-2 cast or SW:Sanada added.

You're probably right, but dang it! I'm not gonna stop believing I can run a Han Dang/Huang Gai/Cheng Pu team until Koei 100% have confirmed no DW9 characters

They're already confirmed to use DW8 as the basis of the DW characters, so they'll likely have all of their DW8 weapons. Going back to the charge system is going to feel weird after enjoying the new flow system so much, though. They will have to work out something for the DW9 newcomers, I suppose, but Zhou Cang was already in a charge system game in Warriors All-Stars.

Aw crap, I forgot he was in All Stars

I am gonna be legit upset if that guy ends up being the ONLY DW9 character to make it into WO4 because of his All Stars appearance.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New additions I want

U-1 (Gitaroo Man)
Kenshiro (FotNS)
Lana (Hyrule Warriors)
Edward the Black Prince (Bladestorm
Rio (Super Black Jack)
Eren Yeager (Attack on Titan)
Noctis (Final Fantasy XV, KT developed Dissidia)
Guts (Berserk)
Slime (Dragon Quest)

Don't expect most of these aside from Rio and Edward, but it's crazy how many franchises KT has had a hand on since the last Warriors Orochi came out.