• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
wcGwv1n.jpg

td5wOIx.jpg

7vSqfGW.jpg

Like the thread title alludes: I don't use Spotify, but I'd sure like a streaming music service on my PS5.

I currently have a 128gb USB thumb drive plugged into my console loaded up with music while I wait for some sort of home network DLNA solution to emerge, but boy would it be nice to have any alternative to using Spotify on these consoles for custom music. I was surprised to see the PS4 go *nearly an entire generation with just Spotify as its music streaming solution.

It looks like the Xbox ecosystem supports multiple apps, based on some brief Googling. Will PlayStation ever get on board with providing options?

EDITED: PS Music was a thing for ~2 years on the PS4.

Last edited:

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
wcGwv1n.jpg

td5wOIx.jpg

7vSqfGW.jpg

Like the thread title alludes: I don't use Spotify, but I'd sure like a streaming music service on my PS5.

I currently have a 128gb USB thumb drive plugged into my console loaded up with music while I wait for some sort of home network DLNA solution to emerge, but boy would it be nice to have any alternative to using Spotify on these consoles for custom music. I was surprised to see the PS4 go an entire generation with just Spotify as its music streaming solution.

It looks like the Xbox ecosystem supports multiple apps, based on some brief Googling. Will PlayStation ever get on board with providing options?
It didn't. It had playstation music the first few years

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I hope they give us options sooner rather than later. I don't use Spotify so I can't take advantage of any of the integration they provide for the music streaming.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
You'd think Apple would make a bigger effort to get on PS5/Xbox. I'd maybe give them a chance if they did, but without console support there's no way I'm going near their service.

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so it looks to be like a major partnership with Sony and Spotify to make the integration possible.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
Sony seems weirdly hesitant to allow this. Even the first couple years of the Spotify partnership were branded "PlayStation Music with Spotify" on the PlayStation 4.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I also find the Spotify integration on PS5 worse than PS4, for what is worth. It was very seamless on PS4. Here half the time album art won't even update after changing songs.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Would love Apple Music.

However remember guys Sony had a stake in Spotify until their recent IPO. I know they makde a big profit on it, don't know if they still own a small part of them.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is just straight up weird about music on the PS4 and PS5. The web browser on the PS4 doesn't have any audio codecs so you can't use any music streaming service there (the PS5 browser also doesn't even if you could get to it), they made sure the blu-ray drive can't read CDs, and even third-party apps like Plex have to put music into a video container (blank mp4+AAC) because the PS4 doesn't have any audio codecs available to apps (or at least not the SDK Plex uses).

But then they offer built-in access to FLAC files off a USB drive, and even over a network for PS4; but to be sure, they only offered the media player after a bunch of fans got upset at the useless music offerings (iirc, it was when they realized the only music source was Sony's crappy service). In the beginning, it only supported mp3 and AAC, so it was pretty surprising when a year or two later they added FLAC and ogg support out of the blue.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The option you are using with the USB stick is already my preferred way to listen to music, media player works perfect.

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
The option you are using with the USB stick is already my preferred way to listen to music, media player works perfect.

Have you found a way to get playlists working?

My two big issues with the USB stick method are lack of playlists and the work involved to put more music on the stick, versus just updating a cloud playlist on YouTube music/Spotify, for example.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it would be great to get some other music services on all consoles. I recently switched from Spotify to Tidal because Spotify has no trouble spreading Alex Jones bullshit, but also came to the conclusion that Tidal's player on PC is a lot better and runs much smoother than Spotify's player.

Would be nice to use a service that runs better on other platforms without having to leave consoles behind.