• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
I consider my musical tastes pretty varied. I enjoy most genres with the exception of most country music. I grew up as a teenager through the grunge era so if it was melancholy and happened in the 90s I like to think I've at least given it a shot.

But somehow, some way, I missed Fugazi.

And I'm embarrassed.

I've just listened to 13 Songs now, but I've repeated the album over four times in the last 24 hours.

WOW! What energy. Makes me want to dig out a flannel shirt

The good news is I have their entire catalog to wade through now.

What bands did you miss out on, only to discover much later?

Oct 27, 2017
The Killers during the Sam's Town era. Got concerts in my city but was never interested.

There is a concert announced for next year, but the past two albums have been dissappointing for me and the tickets are kinda expensive, so I will pass (and kick myself for not going to those past ones).

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Beatles!
My mother had just been born though when they became famous . . .

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started listening to Oasis last year, and liked them a lot. Most fans (if not all) probably got into them during their teenage years; I'm 26, so it's a little late for that. Still, I will keep listening for as long as I enjoy them.

Another that bothers me is Radiohead. Why did I had to wait until their 9th album was out to give them a second chance (hated them the first time)? I love them now, but it hurts me to think I wasted so many time not caring about them. They even did a concert here, several years ago. Here's hoping they come again.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Another that bothers me is Radiohead. Why did I had to wait until their 9th album was out to give them a second chance (hated them the first time)? I love them now, but it hurts me to think I wasted so many time not caring about them. They even did a concert here, several years ago. Here's hoping they come again.
Yeah, same. I knew about Radiohead forever since my brother liked them and I only knew Creep. But I sat down like a year ago and went through every album. Fantastic band, I just MISSED their concert too. The Bends is one of my favorite albums now.

Another band that I was last into is My Bloody Valentine. I listened to Loveless over the summer, then listened to their first and latest albums. Amazing work, here's hoping the rumors of their next album coming out next year is true. At least I can pre-order Loveless on vinyl for a reasonable price!

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Bends is excellent, yes! I wasn't too fond of OK Computer at first, but now I consider it a masterpiece and one of my favorite albums ever. A Moon Shaped Pool is absolutely beautiful, and I'm also a big fan of The King of Limbs, even though many people dislike it. "Codex" and "Separator" are perfect songs.

OP
OP
DigitalDevil

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
I started listening to Oasis last year, and liked them a lot. Most fans (if not all) probably got into them during their teenage years; I'm 26, so it's a little late for that. Still, I will keep listening for as long as I enjoy them.

Yeah, same. I knew about Radiohead forever since my brother liked them and I only knew Creep. But I sat down like a year ago and went through every album. Fantastic band, I just MISSED their concert too. The Bends is one of my favorite albums now.

Another band that I was last into is My Bloody Valentine. I listened to Loveless over the summer, then listened to their first and latest albums. Amazing work, here's hoping the rumors of their next album coming out next year is true. At least I can pre-order Loveless on vinyl for a reasonable price!

The Bends is excellent, yes! I wasn't too fond of OK Computer at first, but now I consider it a masterpiece and one of my favorite albums ever. A Moon Shaped Pool is absolutely beautiful, and I'm also a big fan of The King of Limbs, even though many people dislike it. "Codex" and "Separator" are perfect songs.

I've been a fan of Radiohead for years, ever since I bought OK Computer at a record store in NYC right after it came out. I remember listening to it while riding the subway and just getting lost in it.

Was fortunate to finally see them live in 2008 for their In Rainbows tour. They played one of my favorites, Talk Show Host, from the Romeo and Juliet soundtrack.

kingofrod

Oct 27, 2017
Probably missing out on Siouxsie and the Banshees until the last year or so, even though I like lots of bands in a semi-similar vein. So many great songs - if anyone is interested, the live album Nocturne is almost like a greatest hits, and most of the songs sound better than the originals anyway.

Raina

Oct 25, 2017
Almost everyone I listen to is really really old, made their best albums before I was born, and hardly tour anymore. Fleetwood Mac, Paul Simon, etc.

Also, LTTP means late to the party?!? So like in all those GAF threads about video games with LTTP in the title it meant that too? I legitimately thought it stood for Link to the Past and all those threads were supposed to be retrospectives on the games or something, the title being a pun on that. Whaaaaaat

OP
OP
DigitalDevil

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
LTTP means late to the party?!? So like in all those GAF threads about video games with LTTP in the title it meant that too? I legitimately thought it stood for Link to the Past

LOL you are not alone. I remember thinking there were a LOT of Zelda fans around until I learned what it actually meant

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I consider my musical tastes pretty varied. I enjoy most genres with the exception of most country music. I grew up as a teenager through the grunge era so if it was melancholy and happened in the 90s I like to think I've at least given it a shot.

And I'm embarrassed.

I've just listened to 13 Songs now, but I've repeated the album over four times in the last 24 hours.

Fugazi was not "grunge" in any way, shape or form. The whole flannel thing was in no way related to what they were associated with, minus many "grunge bands being fans of theirs.

Look up DC Hardcore if you want to better understand the roots of Fugazi.

Great band though. Enjoy the journey.

synic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ

And I'm embarrassed.

I luckily got to see Fugazi for 6 bucks which was amazing. They played for so long though, by the end it was almost exhausting.

Bands I've missed that I would like to have seen:

Minor Threat, Black Flag (I was too young, being only 4 or 5 when they were playing). Agollach. Cynic. Public Enemy in their heyday. NWA. Pantera. A bunch of weird indie bands such as Indian Summer, Portrait, Portraits of Past, 4 Walls Falling (I'm dating myself really bad right now).

OP
OP
DigitalDevil

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
I luckily got to see Fugazi for 6 bucks which was amazing. They played for so long though, by the end it was almost exhausting.

Bands I've missed that I would like to have seen:

Minor Threat, Black Flag (I was too young, being only 4 or 5 when they were playing). Agollach. Cynic. Public Enemy in their heyday. NWA. Pantera. A bunch of weird indie bands such as Indian Summer, Portrait, Portraits of Past, 4 Walls Falling (I'm dating myself really bad right now).

Pantera is another one for me, even though I was aware of them and loved their stuff. I mean, I grew up in Dallas. No excuses, but never saw them live.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of really classic bands like The Beatles who I'll never get a chance to see, The Postal Service is a good shout as well simply because they only existed for that one album.

I'm looking through my music collection and, honestly, I really like bands I would loved to have seen live are all down personelle for numerous reasons - Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden - holding out for Pearl Jam someday.

Glad I got to see classic line up blink-182 though.

I'm also wanting to see Ultravox live. I've seen Midge Ure solo three times now, but I'd love to see the classic line up Ultravox just once.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Saw Soundgarden in 2014 and finally scratched that one off my bucket list. It was a pretty good show, mostly because they played basically all of Superunknown, but I enjoyed Cornell much more when I saw him perform with Audioslave for their first tour years ago.
I'm still really glad I got to see Audioslave. Chris Cornell is an absolutely fantastic performer.

Shambles

Oct 25, 2017
Oasis - The way people talk about how they were during the 90s makes me wish I were slightly older

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Saw Soundgarden in 2014 and finally scratched that one off my bucket list. It was a pretty good show, mostly because they played basically all of Superunknown, but I enjoyed Cornell much more when I saw him perform with Audioslave for their first tour years ago.

Soundgarden had a show near me in 2012, but I was 17, no car, no money and on a school night, will never forget that missed them

OP
OP
DigitalDevil

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
I went to see them play in Glasgow's art college in the early 90s. It was great. They stopped the show and asked everyone to stop jumping up and down because the staff were worried the floor was going to collapse. Then they started up and everybody started jumping again. Floor didn't collapse though.

Love stories like this. Wish I had been more aware of Pavement in the 90s also

Darkfire

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Not a band, but it made me a bit sad I only found out about Nujabes after he died.
When I first moved to Japan I got a chance to see him perform in the smaller town I was living in, in like a tiny basement bar because he was the owners friend. He mixed beats, played the flute and Uyama Hiroto played the piano. It was amazing and he passed away a few months after.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
Mobb Deep discovered 4 years ago The Infamous is a brilliant album.

Lush discovered two years ago there music transports me back to the 80's when I hear it.

OP
OP
DigitalDevil

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
Man listening to Nujabes reminded me of another Japanese dj I hadn't thought of in years, DJ Krush! Love his Milight album

OP
OP
DigitalDevil

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
At the time I was really into indie and grunge music. I saw a load of bands like Mudhoney and Sonic Youth. My flatmate was obsessed with Nirvana and used to drag me up and down the country whenever they played here. I liked them well enough but I thought Mudhoney were more fun

I would have loved to see Mudhoney, and Nirvana obviously. I can say I've seen The Pixies though, for their reunion tour in 2004. It was the best concert I've ever attended.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a young'un, so hearing Daft Punk and then hearing people talk about Alive 2007 (or rather, the performance in France the album was recorded from) - supposedly one of the greatest live performances ever - marks the only time I ever wanted to be born in a earlier year.

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish I got into Codeine earlier so that I could've caught them on the reunion tour they did back in 2012. Glacial mope rock. When one's in a mood, nothing else hits the spot quite like Codeine.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
The Killers during the Sam's Town era. Got concerts in my city but was never interested.

There is a concert announced for next year, but the past two albums have been dissappointing for me and the tickets are kinda expensive, so I will pass (and kick myself for not going to those past ones).
You have to be there, you won't regret it.

As for me, I'd say I slept on Phoenix, became a fan just a few years ago and love them ever since. Just saw then love couple weeks ago, insane energy.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Leatherface would have fit right in with some of the stuff I was listening to back in the early 90s like Jawbreaker and Husker Du. I didn't discover them until the late 2000s, when they were well past their prime and now some founding members have passed away and I never got to check them out live.

DeepSearch

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Younger me discovered Warren Zevon and was absolutely blown away. When I tried to look up his tour schedule, I discovered he had died the previous year. Poor, poor, pitiful me.