• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
I am a hardware guy. First principle, build a beat or sculpt a sound, start feeding in a melody, a harmony. Noodle on the keyboard. Get ideas.

You make the sound, you are halfway to mixing. Things fall in their frequency ranges.

Sometimes I read software guys who are taking on too much, because they have everything at their fingers in the same box. Way I see it, you don't need to even think about compression, EQ, or mastering till you have sketched your track and committed to audio. Good sound design at the start will solve 80% of the mix later.

learned this one the long and hard way since i started and still am very much a software guy. My current work flow is basically start with percussion first, get something going there first and then see what i can see keyboard/synth wise.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Pay attention to the range from ~200Hz tp ~500Hz and EQ your instruments there. In this range a lot of instruments play there: You have the bass and it's overtones, the snare, lead synths, pads, the bass drum briefly goes through there etc. etc. and it all just adds together so try lowering it. In electronic music you hear lot of people claiming "high pass everything except bass!!!" but this can eliminate a lot of needed frequencies too, but in general instruments that have frequencies in that are: try to make them less loud with your EQ.

Here is a simple guide how to do it:
1. Route your bass drum to another bus AND make the volume -infinite db, you want the bass drum go at zero volume into the bus
2. Insert Fruity Limiter, click on COMP and right click on the sidechain input number
3. It should show the original bus where your bass drum came from, select that
4. In Fruity Limiter lower the threshold (THRES) and up the ratio to your liking
5. Done

Thanks once again, appreciated! I followed your steps again and realized that it's the same approach most YT videos show it, but redoing it now with your text made me realize the culprit was the difference between the THRES and RAT. Had to lower them and put them close to each other for any discernible difference to show :-)

Attempted to use some sidechaining on this track which I've been sketching on since this morning (it's harder techno, in case you're allergic to that genre): https://soundcloud.com/randombastard/resetera/s-PCToS

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I followed your steps again and realized that it's the same approach most YT videos show it
well it's one way of doing it, there are dozen different ways of creating a sidechain effect because it literally is just lowering the volume when something else is playing. You can be creative and do it however you like.
it's harder techno, in case you're allergic to that genre
I LIVE for electronic music.
I mean... I have my preferences still (Trance would be my favorite) but if it's loud and hard the odds are high I'm gonna like it.
My wee Orbital thingy.
cool, where can I listen to it? :D

Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland
Cool! Did you try sending your track to Soma then?

No. Someone from their office emailed me and we had a chat. They asked if I'd got other stuff and if I'd played any clubs. It was quite exciting but I haven't got anything else, it's just a wee hobby, but they told me to keep in touch.

Nice, always feels good to get complimentary stuff for something you enjoy doing.

Definitely. It was unexpected.

cool, where can I listen to it? :D

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
What are some good instruments for a forest theme? I've been fucking around in Mixcraft 8 for a couple weeks now and still haven't gotten my song down beyond a few notes.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have one of those Korg nano controllers, any version? I'm looking to downsize some bits for carry on only weekends so am wondering about the build quality and MIDI assign capabilities.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Hello MusicianERA - I just posted this thread and I'll pop it in here as well. Trying to help out a good friend with some research:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mu...-bit-depth-settings-do-you-use-and-why.35027/
Greetings all

A good friend of mine is currently in his first year studying music tech/audio engineering and is performing some research regarding sample and bit depth settings for an essay. I said that I would help get his survey a few more eyes - This is via Survey Monkey and requires no sign up

DAW users - What sample and bit depth settings do you use, and why?

I'm researching what settings are used under what circumstances and conducting blind listening tests to see if subjects can perceive a significant enough difference that warrants the extra CPU demands and HDD space.

This is just a simple and quick survey covering settings

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
(It'll take about 1 minute)

MANY THANKS - the link is below

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PSMKZ9X

Also, here's a link to his website: https://futuremusicsolutions.wordpress.com/

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I never posted in here for some reason. I've been playing in a band for over 10 years now while being in other groups and having done a little production/engineer work on the side. I hosted shows in my basement for two years featuring lots of national DiY acts and have booked for a few local businesses for at least as long. Currently buckling down to record a local metal band's debut album over the next few weeks. My main instruments are guitar, bass, mandolin, and piano.

My production skills aren't too great because I haven't really had any formal training on it, but I love spending time in the studio layering sounds and figuring out how to bring out the character I hear in arrangements.
My band's music can be found here. The mix isn't very good because I was learning everything as I went (most of the important shit I learned like a week after I released this), but it was a really fun experience. AMA if you wanna know more about what I did in these songs. We're working on our second album this year. :)

My dream job as always been directing, so I am getting into video work as well as music. Here's a music video we made for a song on that album. Didn't have much of a storyboard, just some broad ideas, a ton of b-roll, and an eye for the aesthetic we wanted:

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
I never posted in here for some reason. I've been playing in a band for over 10 years now while being in other groups and having done a little production/engineer work on the side. I hosted shows in my basement for two years featuring lots of national DiY acts and have booked for a few local businesses for at least as long. Currently buckling down to record a local metal band's debut album over the next few weeks. My main instruments are guitar, bass, mandolin, and piano.

My production skills aren't too great because I haven't really had any formal training on it, but I love spending time in the studio layering sounds and figuring out how to bring out the character I hear in arrangements.
My band's music can be found here. The mix isn't very good because I was learning everything as I went (most of the important shit I learned like a week after I released this), but it was a really fun experience. AMA if you wanna know more about what I did in these songs. We're working on our second album this year. :)

My dream job as always been directing, so I am getting into video work as well as music. Here's a music video we made for a song on that album. Didn't have much of a storyboard, just some broad ideas, a ton of b-roll, and an eye for the aesthetic we wanted:

Thanks for sharing, def. different to most the stuff posted in here. Yeah, the mixes are a bit rough but keep at it, if you are having fun that's what counts :)

So I've ordered most of my material for the treatment project in my room, I anticipate being finished around the first weekend of June. I actually put in for PTO for May 30, 31 and June 1 so I have a nice 5 day chunk for the build. We have to build a shed (next weekend) so we can get some of the non-music stuff out of this room and once that's done we can start building the broadband panels.
When the long weekend hits we will empty the room as much as possible (stuff on walls, furniture- except my desk, etc) and get after it. Hopefully by having the panels built everything goes a bit quicker, there is quite a bit I plan on doing and the corner bass traps will probably take a bit of time. Going to go the super chunk route with triangles of Safe 'n Sound and I want to furr out the frame to make it easy to remove the screen in case I need to add some FRK if I kill too much mids and highs. Plus the cloud installations should be interesting. I'm also modifying my desk and building speaker stands. I also need to run a circuit and network line, can't believe I've never ran a dedicated circuit for my gear (I was an electrician for 20+ years) heh.

Really looking forward to this project, I love doing projects around the house! While there are sexier things to spend the scratch I've got going into this I really feel this is the next upgrade I need to make. Plus, I did pick up that L22 Sphere mic I was banging on about some posts back :)

Would you lot be interested in a diary of sorts documenting the process?

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Would you lot be interested in a diary of sorts documenting the process?
I definitely would! We have a room with a big closet in our basement that we use as a studio, and have yet to apply any treatment to it. We're talking about moving some walls and adding some doors as of now, because that's gonna be easier and cheaper to accomplish atm considering a lot of the people I know in our music scene work in construction (trading recording time for hard labor ftw!). I don't know very much about room acoustics (when you get down to it I really just know how to make noise and arrange it in ways that sound pretty cool) and my roommate isn't very good at explaining it, so it would be super nice to get some updates on an actual WiP to learn a bit for my own purposes.

Also, really appreciate that you gave my music a listen! I made so many mistakes during every step of recording that, lmao. Learned a lot, though. If it's cool with people here I might share some mixes on our next album for discussion. I've always been the kinda guy to ask people shit like "How would you take this thing here and make it sound like it's being played on a street corner/underwater/etc.?" or "How would you take this thing and make it sound as sinister as possible just by adding effects?" cuz that kind of brainstorming is what breeds new ideas.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
I made so many mistakes during every step of recording that, lmao. Learned a lot, though. If it's cool with people here I might share some mixes on our next album for discussion.
Best way to learn! Definitely share, that's a reason they started the thread. Also, if you were so inclined, I wouldn't mind taken a crack at giving one of your tunes a mixing, for practices...

I'll go ahead and make some posts documenting the build, if anyone objects I can PM you or shoot a link to a post I plan to make on Gearslutz, those folks love some treatment build shares, they have a full sub forum dedicated to treatments!

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
Are you planning on doing anything out of the ordinary for your electrical line? I have no idea if there's anything worth doing on that side of it, rather than just buying voltage regulators and whatever else you may need from Furman or whoever.

I really need to get around to my treatment project.... although I think I need to build a new desk first. I've gone through so many modifications over the years I think it's time to start anew with what I've learned I need and don't.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Are you planning on doing anything out of the ordinary for your electrical line? I have no idea if there's anything worth doing on that side of it, rather than just buying voltage regulators and whatever else you may need from Furman or whoever.

I really need to get around to my treatment project.... although I think I need to build a new desk first. I've gone through so many modifications over the years I think it's time to start anew with what I've learned I need and don't.
Nothing out of the ordinary, but it's a 15a circuit that I know I am likely using 50% of or more, and I would like the piece of mind that would come with having a dedicated 20a circuit. I also really need a UPS, now that isn't "just because" but rather a smart item to have just in case. Just the other night there was a brief outage, how many times until I lose a hard drive or two?!

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
I have been getting into modular recently. Spent this evening working on a glitchy drum routine. Kind of like Autechre meets Afrobeat.

Hamst3r

Oct 25, 2017
Knocked out two remixes recently.

The first is a bit of Metal that turns into Drum and Bass, with a tune from KISS: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child.

The second is a hard-hitting Synthwave jam, remixing the final level music from Marathon.

The Stargrave remix ended up using all of the Shreddage guitars simultaneously. I think that's a first for me. The Splash remix is a lot of FM8 and Arturia Collection. And that snare is in Superior Drummer, and it's the only snare in there that sounds like that, and it sounds fucking huge just right away, I love it.

Hope you check those out and enjoy them. :D

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017

The first is a bit of Metal that turns into Drum and Bass, with a tune from KISS: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child.

The second is a hard-hitting Synthwave jam, remixing the final level music from Marathon.

The Stargrave remix ended up using all of the Shreddage guitars simultaneously. I think that's a first for me. The Splash remix is a lot of FM8 and Arturia Collection. And that snare is in Superior Drummer, and it's the only snare in there that sounds like that, and it sounds fucking huge just right away, I love it.

Excellent work man.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany

I like that synthwave song, I dont know the original so I cant tell how much of it ended up in the remix, still a good song. I just feel like having some kind of build up in the style of Carpenter Brut would have been nice in that song. Maybe thats just me though. :P

I just dropped a new three-track thing, you guys! Check it out. Let me know what you think!

This is more rock based than some of the other stuff I've been releasing. All digital samples and amps, but I think I did a decent job making them sound convincing!

https://soundcloud.com/starlightmasquerade/sets/revolution

I'm not much into rock so I wasnt sure if I should listen to those songs, did it anyways and ended up liking the first and third song. Considering those are just samples you did manage to make them work.
I dont know why, maybe because theyre samples, but I felt like those two songs sounded like they could have been in a retro videogame.

Ive been messing around with soundtrack-ish stuff, or at least trying to make stuff that sounds like that. I keep ending up with something more similar to M83. I guess that's because I have to work with EDM drum samples which doesnt make it any easier. Also I tend to speed things up a lot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cenkex2cnb2ebw/005_3.wav?dl=0

And something Ive been messing around with today, its classic EDM I guess:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzt2m4cme2vepfp/047.wav?dl=0

Hamst3r

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks VonResetlitz & SweetVermouth ! :D

AYZON - Thanks! The original has two versions, a MIDI version and a CD Audio version. I included all of the melodies in my remix, but rearranged them, extended a few, expanded the number of instruments, and gave the Sax solo a bit more feel.

EDIT: I also gave your tracks a listen and enjoyed them. Digging the cinematic vibes!

Last edited:

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017

Not familiar with either songs, how much is not sampled? Either way, good stuff! Didn't know about this "Shreddage", had a look and wow! What a horrible gui! But I think I want it...

I just dropped a new three-track thing, you guys! Check it out. Let me know what you think!

This is more rock based than some of the other stuff I've been releasing. All digital samples and amps, but I think I did a decent job making them sound convincing!

Would like to see the drums punch through a bit more, and maybe its a tad bright? Good stuff, I wanted the first song to continue but it stopped!

edit, becauseiamslowanddidntreloadafterwalkingawayforawhileandreplyingwhenireturned

Nice, really enjoyed! Ending is too abrupt tho, needs a couple more seconds.

Last edited:

Hamst3r

Oct 25, 2017
Not familiar with either songs, how much is not sampled? Either way, good stuff! Didn't know about this "Shreddage", had a look and wow! What a horrible gui! But I think I want it...

Samples of the original tunes? Zero. Stargrave & Splash, for comparison. Cover is the more accurate term, but remix is what people actually search for, so I just go with remix. Haha.

And yeah, I like Shreddage a lot. There are a few things I wish it did better, but overall I think they're quite good. Maybe someday Audiomodeling will do an amazing SWAM Guitar or something and I'll never use another guitar library again.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would like to see the drums punch through a bit more, and maybe its a tad bright? Good stuff, I wanted the first song to continue but it stopped!

Thanks! Yeah, they are a bit bright, I was perhaps over-worried about muddying up the mix a bit and wanted the crunch of the guitars to come through.

I'm not much into rock so I wasnt sure if I should listen to those songs, did it anyways and ended up liking the first and third song. Considering those are just samples you did manage to make them work.
I dont know why, maybe because theyre samples, but I felt like those two songs sounded like they could have been in a retro videogame.

That's probably just because Nobuo Uematsu's work on Final Fantasy (primarily, but not exclusively, VII) is a major influence on me.

I feel like the track that displays both of my primary influences the best is this one. See if you can guess the second. (Yeah, this song was made two years ago, so the production ain't as good as more recent tracks, but I still enjoy it) https://starlightmasquerade.bandcamp.com/track/spatial-distortion

Last edited:

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
AYZON - Thanks! The original has two versions, a MIDI version and a CD Audio version. I included all of the melodies in my remix, but rearranged them, extended a few, expanded the number of instruments, and gave the Sax solo a bit more feel.

EDIT: I also gave your tracks a listen and enjoyed them. Digging the cinematic vibes!

Thank you. :)
Maybe its not much of a compliment, but I do prefer your version over the other two. :D

Nice, really enjoyed! Ending is too abrupt tho, needs a couple more seconds.

Glad you liked it :)
Yea, that actually was intentionally, until it stopped making sense I guess. Originally I wanted the song to able to be played in a loop, at some point that stopped making sense so I changed the intro but left the ending mostly untouched. Might not have been such a good idea.

Thanks! Yeah, they are a bit bright, I was perhaps over-worried about muddying up the mix a bit and wanted the crunch of the guitars to come through.

That's probably just because Nobuo Uematsu's work on Final Fantasy (primarily, but not exclusively, VII) is a major influence on me.

I feel like the track that displays both of my primary influences the best is this one. See if you can guess the second. (Yeah, this song was made two years ago, so the production ain't as good as more recent tracks, but I still enjoy it) https://starlightmasquerade.bandcamp.com/track/spatial-distortion

I usually wait a day (or multiple) before finalizing my mix, sometimes my ears are so fatigued that I boost the highs way too much and wonder how on earth I could have thought that would sound good.

I looked up Nobuo Uematsu´s other work, hoped I would get a clue what the other influence could be. But he has worked on so much stuff... I have no clue. :P
Unfortunately I only played a really old FF on my phone a long time ago and a little bit of a newer whose name I cant recall.
Is the other influence also from FF or something completely different?

Listened to that song and I could see myself roaming a classic RPG map with that playing in the background. One thing that sticks out to me is the drumset but I assume you did that on purpose? I kind of expected bit crushed drums.

Miscend

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are those live recorded guitars? Anyway topnotch musicianship here, it's not full of repetition, clearly not built up from loops and the mix is clean.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are those live recorded guitars? Anyway topnotch musicianship here, it's not full of repetition, clearly not built up from loops and the mix is clean.

Nope! Those are all digital samples and amps. They're just mixed okay. I'd say they were mixed well, but I'm not full enough of myself to do that yet! (And it took me a long while to be able to figure out how to mix them as good as I have been and I still don't quite feel like I'm where I want to be.)

Thanks for the compliments and the listen!

I usually wait a day (or multiple) before finalizing my mix, sometimes my ears are so fatigued that I boost the highs way too much and wonder how on earth I could have thought that would sound good.

I looked up Nobuo Uematsu´s other work, hoped I would get a clue what the other influence could be. But he has worked on so much stuff... I have no clue. :P
Unfortunately I only played a really old FF on my phone a long time ago and a little bit of a newer whose name I cant recall.
Is the other influence also from FF or something completely different?

Listened to that song and I could see myself roaming a classic RPG map with that playing in the background. One thing that sticks out to me is the drumset but I assume you did that on purpose? I kind of expected bit crushed drums.

The other influence is Linkin Park (or Mike Shinoda, since he's a frontman for that band and does a lot of solo work too.) I kind of figured the end would give it away. (But I'm more influenced by modern Linkin Park anyway, even though the nu metal era is a guilty pleasure of mine ;) )

And as far as the Uematsu influence goes, there isn't a specific track to point to. FFVII was just a formative part of my youth and that OST has informed a lot of my melodic stylings. Just imagine me gesturing wildly to the whole thing.

Here's a three track I made some months ago. I challenged myself to use the same synth for all parts except the drums.

The Respire

I love the 70s/80s ambient feel. The syncopaction of the drums in "Ninja" feel like they're non-stylistically out of place until the melody kicks in, but when that happens it fits really well. Maybe I just don't listen to enough of that kind of drumwork to really "get" it. "The Lookout" could definitely do with someone laying down a slick rap over, it feels like an instrumental that's had them removed! Maybe it could work as videogame BGM... "Dragon" falls into the videogame BGM category too.

Last edited:

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
since FL studio put out a new version to commemorate 20 years. i went ahead and bought the upgrade bundle with the plugins since i had a 30% off coupon. and picked up a midi keyboard. been meaning to get one a couple of years or so go.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
The other influence is Linkin Park (or Mike Shinoda, since he's a frontman for that band and does a lot of solo work too.) I kind of figured the end would give it away. (But I'm more influenced by modern Linkin Park anyway, even though the nu metal era is a guilty pleasure of mine ;) )

And as far as the Uematsu influence goes, there isn't a specific track to point to. FFVII was just a formative part of my youth and that OST has informed a lot of my melodic stylings. Just imagine me gesturing wildly to the whole thing.

Okay, I would never have thought of that. The only LP song I actually know is the Encore, that synth is burned into my head. And other than that there isn't a whole lot of rock in my playlists, of the top of my head I can just think of a hand full of The Heavy songs.
Also, yea gotcha. Was thinking maybe theres a specific game OST that could have been the second influence.

Would like to give some feedback on the other songs that have been posted but Im on a limited dataplan for a while so I cant listen to them. :/

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
ok Musician-Era I want to hear some opinions, this guy performed with his piano at the "Elbe Philharmonie" in Hamburg (aka most prestigious hall in Germany).

what do you guys think?

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
He plays like a damn step sequencer, that timing is impressive.
But I also somehow expected more.

I'll be blunt and call a spade a spade....

this guy is a charlatan and is playing everyone (whoever books him) like a fiddle.

those are the piano playing and composing/improvising skills of a guy that took lessons maybe 5 months, that has some ability to find melodies in the piano and then proceeded to sell himself as a concert pianist

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Huh, seems like he would have fooled me as well but I also know next to nothing about playing instruments so thats not a hard task.
In that case though, that sucks, I bet there are a lot of actually talented people who would have loved to play there.

Hamst3r

Oct 25, 2017
Sphinx - He's just putting down what other people are enjoying, and technical skill is irrelevant to resonating with an audience. You can learn 4 chords on a guitar and fill a concert hall.

While it's certainly unfortunate that there's been a history of more skillful musicians struggling to find success while more simplistic acts rise to the top, it's nothing new. There's even record of classical composers complaining that amongst their compositions, the ones they regard as "drivel" are confoundingly popular. Or more modernly, that simple song that was written in 5 minutes on a napkin at a diner goes to #1 and no one gives a shit about the other songs.

That said, no need to shake your fist and curse the sky over it. It doesn't feel great, but that's how it is. You aren't going to make people not like it, or seek more skillful music by deriding it. Ultimately I think it's worse to be one of the people who gets condescending about music, like the people who pooh-pooh "electronic music" for being the soulless beeps of a computer made by mere button pushers. Even as a computer musician, and no fan of dance music, I know it does me no good to be upset that Trap or House is as popular as it is. I'll just be over here enjoying my Glitch Metal and Breakcore.

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
This is interesting.

There are no end of technically gifted musicians, who are conceptually and technically brilliant, but whose output is niche or borderline unlistenable (take free jazz, experimental classical music, some electronica, for example).

Then there are guys that have little technical depth, but can belt out a good beat, melody, energy, or whatever (punk, some EDM, and so on).

Doesn't mean one is better than the other. Different voices, different aspirations, different markets.

It's the same with all arts. Harry Potter isn't Tolstoy, but you can't berate Rowling's success. Same with music. If someone likes it, even if it's bland (to my ears), then job done.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I agree 100% with what you guys say, I know it's just like that.

I understand very well that everyone brings something unique and very personal to the table. If any piece of music, of any kind, brings joy to people then job done, like VonResetlitz says. In the world of pop music happens all the time that low-effort mediocre songs are top hits and produce millions of dollars. there's a place for everything ni the world of music

I am used by now to seeing pianists use all sorts of gimmicks to grab attention, guy dressed like Link playing a Zelda medley, girl dressed like leia playing a star wars medley, videos claiming "omg this dude was caught on camera playing this!" when it's obviously rehearsed and pre-recorded, etc, I just find this guy's super cringy and eye-roll inducing.

That hipster look, like "I am a dude that lives under a bridge and has gone through shit and suffered", coupled with the super lacking skills of any kind and then at then end slamming the keys and running away like "omg this was so emotional I could jump through the window in dispair".. I mean, it's all planned, every single thing that appears in the video is planned. the length of the beard and hair, the clothes, the appearance of the small piano, the camera angles, the getting out the hall at the end, everything.

pretty sure if the dude read my post, he'd use Woody harrelson's crying-money-meme gif lol