• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SBit

Feb 25, 2018

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
I went to school for music education, but dropped out to work full time after my second year...it was a pretty rough time in my life. I haven't done much with music since other than noodle around on a keyboard or guitar occasionally. I used to be big on composing and arranging for my high school and college music classes, but I've really fallen out of it and have only written a few ideas that I never fleshed out over the years. Here are a few of my compositions from a million years ago:

Pardon the quality, they were written in an old copy of cakewalk pro audio as midi files and run through a soundfont program back in 2004(?). I've never been on the technical production side of things...just used what I had.

The middle piece was supposed to be a battle theme for an RPGmaker project that fell apart. The first and last themes are just piano tunes I wrote in high school.

I'd love to get back into it, but it's daunting to think about software and I have a lot of learning to catch up on. If I come up with anything interesting I'll post here for feedback. Everyone here seems super supportive and helpful.

EDIT: Also here's an arrangement of a Tsuiokuhen piece:

I have other arrangements and transcriptions as well of varying quality lol. I have a pretty good transcription of Sound of Snow Falling, also from Tsuiokuhen, but I'm limited on media per post of course, so I won't post that one unless someone wants to hear it.

SBit

Feb 25, 2018
I went to school for music education, but dropped out to work full time after my second year...it was a pretty rough time in my life. I haven't done much with music since other than noodle around on a keyboard or guitar occasionally. I used to be big on composing and arranging for my high school and college music classes, but I've really fallen out of it and have only written a few ideas that I never fleshed out over the years. Here are a few of my compositions from a million years ago:

Pardon the quality, they were written in an old copy of cakewalk pro audio as midi files and run through a soundfont program back in 2004(?). I've never been on the technical production side of things...just used what I had.

The middle piece was supposed to be a battle theme for an RPGmaker project that fell apart. The first and last themes are just piano tunes I wrote in high school.

I'd love to get back into it, but it's daunting to think about software and I have a lot of learning to catch up on. If I come up with anything interesting I'll post here for feedback. Everyone here seems super supportive and helpful.

EDIT: Also here's an arrangement of a Tsuiokuhen piece:

I have other arrangements and transcriptions as well of varying quality lol. I have a pretty good transcription of Sound of Snow Falling, also from Tsuiokuhen, but I'm limited on media per post of course, so I won't post that one unless someone wants to hear it.

I guess we'll encourage you to keep evolving! There is definitely skill there.
That Kenshin score brings me back. Such an amazing piece.
I know what it's like to dive right into music production with no prior knowledge and it is daunting at first. But dedication is all. And good people who can give some advice help too :)
I don't mind hearing more, so go ahead.

I like the sound. But for some reason I feel like your band is one of those that plays music super loud at concerts and make my ears bleed :DDDD

New album/tape comes end of next month, first track out now thx to clashmagazine
https://www.clashmusic.com/news/miami-producer-marks-confirms-new-beat-tape
Pardon my weird question, but did you by any chance use Orbit/Eclipse synths in this track?

Edit: ah top of the page, now I need to add some music.
I fiddled around some "epic" orchestral scoring last year. I gave myself the challenge to make something energetic. I didn't have any templates in this genre, so it took a bit of experimenting.
I was really struggling for a while because I lack quality string libraries and the ones that I have were a pain to do some of the things I wanted them to. Oh god the hours lost :D still fun though.

Here it is.
Maybe the sound is a little dry in a way. I didn't have a good selection of reverbs at the time I created this piece. Or maybe it's just me...

Last edited:

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
I guess we'll encourage you to keep evolving! There is definitely skill there.
That Kenshin score brings me back. Such an amazing piece.
I know what it's like to dive right into music production with no prior knowledge and it is daunting at first. But dedication is all. And good people who can give some advice help too :)
I don't mind hearing more, so go ahead.
Thank you so much for the reply! I've started looking at tutorials for different programs and have messed around in the trial for FL Studio, though my brain has a hard time with using a piano roll instead of a staff/score view. I may write in another composition software and see if I can import the individual parts as midi tracks. Probably a back-assward way to do things, but I guess I'll find out what works for me.

The only other thing I have readily available to share is that Sound of Snow Falling transcription. I used to do these for ear training. There are probably a few errors, but I was pretty pleased with how it came out back then.

SBit

Feb 25, 2018
Thank you so much for the reply! I've started looking at tutorials for different programs and have messed around in the trial for FL Studio, though my brain has a hard time with using a piano roll instead of a staff/score view. I may write in another composition software and see if I can import the individual parts as midi tracks. Probably a back-assward way to do things, but I guess I'll find out what works for me.

The only other thing I have readily available to share is that Sound of Snow Falling transcription. I used to do these for ear training. There are probably a few errors, but I was pretty pleased with how it came out back then.

Best Kenshin songs are best! A man with taste :)

I wouldn't call writing scores with actual notes something backwards. In many ways it's much nicer. Definitely clearer. But maybe that's me, I was classically trained so notes are something I'm very comfortable with. I think most DAWs support midi importing, so actually it's not a bad way to tackle composition IMHO. I think the midi even keeps basic articulations inside DAWs, so you can have some dynamics down by the time you even start messing with things. Or maybe I'm remembering wrongly haha.
Worst case you have just the raw notes with no dynamics.
You can do whatever is best for your workflow :)

One frustartion I have is I'm a guitarist so it feels a bit "unnatural" doing most of compositions via keyboard. It's a learning process but things do get better.

Ira

Oct 27, 2017

Nice stuff! I think it's probably worth getting familiar with piano roll, you get much more fine control than by just writing score. But it's most important to do what is most comfortable, and as brought up above, using scoring software, exporting as MIDI, and then importing that into a DAW is totally a valid option and you'd have the option to further edit after that. Some DAWs also have score editors, like Cubase and REAPER.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Oh man, I didn't know this was a place to visit! Fuck yeah.

I work with FL Studio and recently picked up Shreddage 2. I'm composing a symphonic death metal album at the moment and changing all my temp guitars to Shreddage 2, which sounds loads better. Still having issues with finding a good "solo" guitar sound. Almost there, but the one I have sort of hurts the ears after too long. Some mid frequency is just too strong or whatever.

But my real worry with this thing is going to be mixing. Between the guitars, drum kits, and five orchestral synths, I got a lot to doodle with, and I don't have a fucking clue how I'll balance it all out. Right now I'm kinda using placeholder stuff and a master preset.

If anyone has any tips on mixing projects with a lot of instruments, I'm all for it. Will probably skim through this thread at my leisure to see what help/advice/fun stories I can find.

Here's a WIP https://soundcloud.com/chad-waller-513060169/red-contortion

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Well it's nice to see some new faces dropping by, a lot of creative talent here. I'm Chris, mastering engineer but also have experience in live and production... I did teach guitar a while ago as well. I helped with OT a little and generally like to offer up production advice where I can. I have several posts throughout the thread and am an active part of the discord.

SBit

Feb 25, 2018
Oh man, I didn't know this was a place to visit! Fuck yeah.

I work with FL Studio and recently picked up Shreddage 2. I'm composing a symphonic death metal album at the moment and changing all my temp guitars to Shreddage 2, which sounds loads better. Still having issues with finding a good "solo" guitar sound. Almost there, but the one I have sort of hurts the ears after too long. Some mid frequency is just too strong or whatever.

But my real worry with this thing is going to be mixing. Between the guitars, drum kits, and five orchestral synths, I got a lot to doodle with, and I don't have a fucking clue how I'll balance it all out. Right now I'm kinda using placeholder stuff and a master preset.

If anyone has any tips on mixing projects with a lot of instruments, I'm all for it. Will probably skim through this thread at my leisure to see what help/advice/fun stories I can find.

Here's a WIP https://soundcloud.com/chad-waller-513060169/red-contortion

I'm not a mixing expert by a LONG shot, but from the quick listen it really stands out that the guitars have "depth" to them while the strings come across as very dry/flat. There is no order to the instruments. I can't figure out what I should be listening to. All the strings sit really up front together with drums. You did pan things out a bit, so there is some definition to the sound, but not enough.The guitars do sit little bit to the back, so that's the only instrument that adds a sense of depth to me.
Easiest way to add depth is with reverb, so that's a good idea for starters. Reverb brings a sense of space to the sound and arranges your instruments left, right, front, back... There are TONS of tutorials on youtube on how to use reverb for mixing purposes.

Also, I would be very careful with the composition because when you slap many strong leading instruments together it can start being overbearing, which is then magnified by the lack of a sense of space in the mix. The super strong string sound also doesn't help with subtleness.
There are two (?) string instruments (one more left and one more right panned) that play like a duet thing many times, but I wonder if it's really necessary to make melodies so overlapping and disjointed. What about making a longer more coherent phrase with one and then let the other join in or something like that? Imagine two actual performers playing. How would one player feel if he was forced to play half a phrase and have it end at the exact same time, preferably JUST before the end of the phrase, throughout the entire piece? It would be torture :P

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
So glad to see this community in the spotlight :) Y'all deserve it. Hope everyone's been well <3

This was my latest upload (last week)

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
It's possible I'm going a bit overboard on the strings. The fear is that my guitars aren't real so I should cover them up.

I will say I haven't really started mixing that WIP yet, that was more to show off the new guitars. The strings have nothing on them as far as reverb/EQ/etc go. I'm trying to do the songs in waves, so guitars first, drums second, strings third, then vocals last.

Going for a bit of a "wall of sound" thing ala Wintersun's second album, though as I continue, that might be reduced down a bit. Right now there are two string pads that play longer notes, then a viola, a cello, and a violin. The viola and cello play the same notes and are panned left/right. The violin is sort of the lead string then.

SBit

Feb 25, 2018
It's possible I'm going a bit overboard on the strings. The fear is that my guitars aren't real so I should cover them up.

I will say I haven't really started mixing that WIP yet, that was more to show off the new guitars. The strings have nothing on them as far as reverb/EQ/etc go. I'm trying to do the songs in waves, so guitars first, drums second, strings third, then vocals last.

Going for a bit of a "wall of sound" thing ala Wintersun's second album, though as I continue, that might be reduced down a bit. Right now there are two string pads that play longer notes, then a viola, a cello, and a violin. The viola and cello play the same notes and are panned left/right. The violin is sort of the lead string then.

I think your guitar sound is much nicer than the strings, a solid foundation.

I don't quite understand what you mean the guitar isn't real? You use effect plugins for your dry signal of recorded guitar or you literally simulate the instrument? If latter than I can understand the pickle you got yourself in.

I listened a bit to Wintersun and it seems a fairly typical symphonic metal thing with heavy big and lush string synths ala most power metal giants. And they do that for a reason. It just works damn well. Your instruments sound like solo strings mostly. That will be harder to glue into the mix for sure. It has a lot of "bite" to cut through the mix, which might not be what you really wish sometimes.

But you gotta work with with what you've got!
Have a lot of fun experimenting :)
I used to be a big metalhead in highschool, so really looking forward to your update.
Cheers!

SBit

Feb 25, 2018
Well it's nice to see some new faces dropping by, a lot of creative talent here. I'm Chris, mastering engineer but also have experience in live and production... I did teach guitar a while ago as well. I helped with OT a little and generally like to offer up production advice where I can. I have several posts throughout the thread and am an active part of the discord.
Hey Chris. Nice to meet a fellow guitarist.
I'm currently full time guitar teacher (classical and acoustic) so I guess can relate a bit :)
Producing music is like a side thing for me, but it's super fun.
So what kind of music did/do you play on guitar? Classical fan or more contemporary?
But no matter what you say, Carulli is still essential :PPP

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hey Chris. Nice to meet a fellow guitarist.
I'm currently full time guitar teacher (classical and acoustic) so I guess can relate a bit :)
Producing music is like a side thing for me, but it's super fun.
So what kind of music did/do you play on guitar? Classical fan or more contemporary?
But no matter what you say, Carulli is still essential :PPP
I used to teach both, as I could read notation from classical flute playing days(that's going even farther back). But where I was teaching, it was mostly contemporary RGT Rockschool/Trinity gradings if people were interested in going that route. I'd teach a bit of notation theory as essential music theory regardless and to help with timing, but with RGT/Trinity everything mostly dealt in tablature. Personally I like my Rock and Metal genres the most but I can enjoy almost anything so classical is something I very much like...

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Literally simulating the instrument.

And you aren't wrong about the single strings. I haven't done chords with them at all, which is something I need to play around with. The thing is, I still want the option to pan left/right to some order, but maybe I don't need that. Like I said, I've never had to mix something with this many instruments and honestly don't know how to go about it.

I do, however, like the battling lead instruments. I'll see if I can tone it down a bit when I edit, but I'll probably keep them to some degree. I like the idea of listening to a song and finding something new to follow every time.

And I shall keep you posted! Though this project won't be done for awhile. Slow going and all that.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Literally simulating the instrument.

And you aren't wrong about the single strings. I haven't done chords with them at all, which is something I need to play around with. The thing is, I still want the option to pan left/right to some order, but maybe I don't need that. Like I said, I've never had to mix something with this many instruments and honestly don't know how to go about it.

I do, however, like the battling lead instruments. I'll see if I can tone it down a bit when I edit, but I'll probably keep them to some degree. I like the idea of listening to a song and finding something new to follow every time.

And I shall keep you posted! Though this project won't be done for awhile. Slow going and all that.

Definitely not an expert on symphonic metal...only what I've heard in bemani lol. Also, as I mentioned in my previous post I probably don't have the level of education as many others here. Definitely take this feedback with a huge grain of salt.

I like your ideas here. I think this is a good framework and as a work in progress it's definitely coming along. I think some sustained string harmonies and counter melodies might be worth looking at to compliment your lead and rhythm parts. The mids I'm hearing appear to be mostly the lead string part at a lower octave. There is some harmony there, but it seems mostly incidental. It sounds wide/tall with range but sparse harmonically if that makes sense.

Are we cool to post examples to try to help? Don't want to mess with your creative process, so feel free to disregard if you don't want someone else's work bleeding into yours. Otherwise, for an example of what I'm talking about, check out this track:

This is Shiawase Wo Utau Uta by Asaki.

Starting at about 2:55 with the chorus we have a similar arrangement to what you are doing with your piece, with most of the string parts in octaves and the only string harmonies are at the high end, however at the B section of the chorus around 3:30 you hear those mid string harmonies come in and fill things out.

Food for thought...hope it's somewhat helpful. If this isn't a good way to give feedback feel free to let me know...I honestly haven't had a lot of interaction with other musicians in the creative process.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Naw man, this is great. I'll take all the feedback I can get :)

My kind of internal joke with this project is that I have no business making music because I don't know anything other than "I like it." I'm relying on a computer program to do every bit of lifting for me, so I can just kinda noodle around with notes and make things that sound fun to me.

But there will come a point when I also want it to sound professional/good, so this is useful.

I do plan on releasing it for free though. I don't think it'll be good enough to sell, which is fine. There's a lack of pressure to it that means I can just have fun and experiment.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I recently jumped on the FL Studio train after seeing a good friend of mine use it for years. I have a background in music composition, so I know the theory, but learning the electronic side of stuff has been a challenge aside from actually constructing the music. Here's a little beat I made sampling FF6:

https://soundcloud.com/donovan-cassell/f-f-6

It's really exciting to finally have a DAW again after selling my Mac a long time ago. Really pumped to start learning the ins and outs of it all, and maybe I'll post here and start learning from all of you! Super cool community.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I think I'm going to ask for some specific advice. If anyone here could help me out, that would be fantastic!

So, this song I released recently, on the last page. https://youtu.be/xWhk5txlp3o . This demonstrates the wall I've hit with my ability to mix and compose distorted guitars. Of course, there is only so much you can do without a real guitar, but I feel like I should be able to utilize amps and panning much better than I am. Can I get some tips from people in the know, based on my current ability? It would help a bunch because this is a wall I've been banging my head at for a while now, making marginal progress with each fresh attempt, but there's only so much I can do without poking around and getting feedback. Thanks!

FWIW, the library I'm using to get these sounds is Electri6ity. I'm using Guitar Rig 5 for the amps. Sometimes I play with Ableton's own amp plugin, and some of that is layered in the above because of the different tones.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Welp, taking some of the advice on the strings to heart. Chopped out two string instruments and added chords to the others, and I do think it sounds better--bigger. Gonna take some serious work to get this where I want it to, but it'll be for the best.

Kitsunelaine

Have you played around with impulses at all? I honestly don't hate the sound; it just doesn't have that "bigness" you probably want. It could be a mastering/mixing thing. I'd give Sweet's advice a try and dual track if you haven't. Some of the high ends seem a bit "tinny" but that seems to be the case with a lot of virtual guitars. Adding a little compression could fix that by bringing the high end down some.

You could also slap a thick delay on there to see what that would do.

YMMV. I'm still trying to get a good lead guitar sound myself. It's really hard. I either have too much high end or too much middle end.

Feel free to take a snapshot of the DAW since I'm extremely visually oriented when it comes to working on music.

Hamst3r

Oct 25, 2017
Kitsunelaine So, what's standing out to me is mostly just mixing of the overall mix. That I think what you're doing there is working. I know that might seem overly general, but I just don't think it's your guitar sounds or composition that are specifically holding your track back. That it's stuff like EQ, compression, saturation, reverb, stereo imaging, and such to just make everything bigger, the guitars fatter, the drums punchier. At least, that's what I'm getting out of it without looking at the tracks individually.

Something you could try is soloing each of your tracks and seeing if you can tweak it to get the most out of it by itself. Pull the best qualities out of each sound individually before then trying to combine them together. When you get to that point though use effects on the master to see if you can pull even more out of the sounds as a whole with a bit of saturation and limiting.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
conkersbadfurday
SweetVermouth
Hamst3r

--

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'll give you a closer look into how everything's structured. And conkersbadfurday is right-- it doesn't have that bigness that I'm looking for. I'll provide more detail to help along any further feedback.

This is what the final section sounds like, isolated, unmastered (Also turned off the sidechaining of the kick on the bass for these purposes): https://dbr.ee/V6iX

Here's how things are currently set up in the DAW. Those asking about dual tracking might want to look away now to avoid my shame.

Chords:
https://puu.sh/B4O2P/21c652a297.png
https://puu.sh/B4O3A/d22efbd041.png
Mels:
https://puu.sh/B4O4k/75007ad217.png
Bass and subs:
https://puu.sh/B4O5v/d0bfbca67d.png

Some of the channels have their mids scooped, some of them have their highs lowered etc. A bunch of them have different amps on GR5. Here's just the chord guitars without the bass or the melodies that kick in at the end: https://dbr.ee/kTpp

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Okay, so I really like the melodies themselves, and honestly, the tone you have isn't that bad either. Unless you're going for something with more shred or chug, in which case you'll want to mess with the amp. I honestly think the biggest problem is one of mixing/mastering and not anything else.

I spent all of four minutes with that last one you have, the chords, just kinda adding a few things.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-uNF5pp7Mo55RpVEGdIpc4vVjTcHCIjM/view?usp=sharing

That one there has some light EQing on the highs/lows, a slight delay to widen the sound, and some reverb. I also loaded a preset master channel.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VbAgtevyDxG23xZv0ErsjN0gAUwVXLxK/view?usp=sharing

This one has the above and an impulse.

I don't know if this helps or not, but I do think you're on the right track. It's hard to know for sure without being able to read your mind :P

SBit

Feb 25, 2018
I used to teach both, as I could read notation from classical flute playing days(that's going even farther back). But where I was teaching, it was mostly contemporary RGT Rockschool/Trinity gradings if people were interested in going that route. I'd teach a bit of notation theory as essential music theory regardless and to help with timing, but with RGT/Trinity everything mostly dealt in tablature. Personally I like my Rock and Metal genres the most but I can enjoy almost anything so classical is something I very much like...
I see, so more loose and varied teaching :) I like that.
Any "horror" stories from back then?

One of my favorites is when one student just started learning guitar. And you know how at first your fingertips aren't used to pressing strings and they start off as being a bit tender?
Well this kid (I think he was 8 or 9) as soon as he pressed the string went "ooooooooouuuuu, ouuuuuuuuuu, this huuuuuurts, this huuuuuurts" with a crying voice :DDDD Never have I ever seen such whine before lmao. Ouuuuuuuuuuuu. And he wouldn't stop lmao. Ouuuuuuu this huuuuurts. Kid's world turned upside down. Playing guitar is literal torture!
And it's not like he had an acoustic guitar. No. It was a 3/4 classical guitar with nylon strings. Can't get softer than that.
I've never heard of such a reaction before. I got 6 year old tiny little girls pressing those strings like a badass. Their fingertips are solid after a week no problem.
He came around eventually tho. He's chill now.
:D

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I see, so more loose and varied teaching :) I like that.
Any "horror" stories from back then?

One of my favorites is when one student just started learning guitar. And you know how at first your fingertips aren't used to pressing strings and they start off as being a bit tender?
Well this kid (I think he was 8 or 9) as soon as he pressed the string went "ooooooooouuuuu, ouuuuuuuuuu, this huuuuuurts, this huuuuuurts" with a crying voice :DDDD Never have I ever seen such whine before lmao. Ouuuuuuuuuuuu. And he wouldn't stop lmao. Ouuuuuuu this huuuuurts. Kid's world turned upside down. Playing guitar is literal torture!
And it's not like he had an acoustic guitar. No. It was a 3/4 classical guitar with nylon strings. Can't get softer than that.
I've never heard of such a reaction before. I got 6 year old tiny little girls pressing those strings like a badass. Their fingertips are solid after a week no problem.
He came around eventually tho. He's chill now.
:D
Hah horror stories... There's always one I remember. I was teaching a couple of kids of different ages, 4 and 6. I decided to create a competition game to help improve their chord skills. Basically just changing between chords the fastest wins on a countdown. Unfortunately the 4 yr old started to lose and started to cry, what's worse his parents were waiting outside. Thankfully the 6 yr old decided to help and lose on purpose so the 4 yr old would win. Luckily he cheered up and stopped crying. Awkward lesson, didn't do that again with them haha

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
Synth people. Anyone using hardware, or do most people rock with vsts these days?

I spend two thirds of my time with computers, so cant use them at all for music. Its kryptonite to me. Generally making stuff with the SH-101 and eurorack these days. My home looks a bit like an 80s vision of a science lab.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Synth people. Anyone using hardware, or do most people rock with vsts these days?

I spend two thirds of my time with computers, so cant use them at all for music. Its kryptonite to me. Generally making stuff with the SH-101 and eurorack these days. My home looks a bit like an 80s vision of a science lab.

I've owned about 2 dozen hardware synths over the last 20 years but use software almost exclusively now. Advances in the quality of digital synthesis combined with the versatility, portability etc make it a no brainer for my workflow.

Deleted member 8245

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I would love to get into hardware (been looking for 2nd hand Bass Station II's and Monologues as a first synth) but the cost for higher end stuff is just too prohibitive right now. I actually much prefer getting my hands on and having that physical contact to a synth, but digital is so convenient and flexible, so I can see the merit in both.

Hopefully one day I'll be rich enough to dump several thou on a nice modular system, haha.