• We are delighted to introduce GiftBot 2.0, the next generation of our popular gifting feature. To celebrate, we'll be giving away some incredible prizes over the coming weeks in one big Giveaway Extravaganza!

MusicianERA |OT| Producers and Artists Welcome

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
If I want to fool around with sampling and making some tracks, where do I start, if I have all of these programs on my computer?

Acid Music Studio
Acid Pro
Samplitude
MAGIX Music Maker
Forge110
MAGIX Sound Cleaning Lab

What do each of these things do? It's a bit overwhelming, heh.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
If I want to fool around with sampling and making some tracks, where do I start, if I have all of these programs on my computer?

Acid Music Studio
Acid Pro
Samplitude
MAGIX Music Maker
Forge110
MAGIX Sound Cleaning Lab

What do each of these things do? It's a bit overwhelming, heh.
So, I don't use those particular programs myself, but from memory, Acid is a pretty straightforward way to start messing around. I'm sure you could find some good tutorials on YT to get going. Based on a cursory Google search, Samplituted and Music Maker both seem to be standard DAW stuff. Not sure what Forge 110 is. Is it Soundforge? I just use that for conversions post-mastering if that is the case. It looks like Sound Cleaning Lab is exactly what the name implies, for cleaning up audio.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
So, I don't use those particular programs myself, but from memory, Acid is a pretty straightforward way to start messing around. I'm sure you could find some good tutorials on YT to get going. Based on a cursory Google search, Samplituted and Music Maker both seem to be standard DAW stuff. Not sure what Forge 110 is. Is it Soundforge? I just use that for conversions post-mastering if that is the case. It looks like Sound Cleaning Lab is exactly what the name implies, for cleaning up audio.
Thanks for a bit of guidance here, even terms like "DAW" are new to me!

Oct 28, 2017
manchester
Nice. What did you use for the drums? I've been shopping around to upgrade my drum stuff. The stuff I use (you can hear it on the track I posted a page or so back) is kinda old. You can totally hear the Tool influence for sure. Is that an 8-string?
thank you!
drums are the matt halpern signature pack by get good (https://www.getgooddrums.com/collections/software/products/matt-halpern-signature-pack) with the snare and kick thrown through a transience shaper for some extra pop.
yeah it's whole heartedly a 'tool riffs played by a small child' track, haha! i'm happy with it though.
and yep, 8 string tuned EADadbge. i'd love to get it down to a D but it'd be floppy as heck with the strings i have, might even be pushing it at its 27'' scale length. i'm looking to install an evertune bridge eventually as that thing flies out of tune real easily.

BaloneyFraise

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
I feel like I just got pass the stage where I find that everything I do suck so much that I can't share it without being anonymous to being confident and more like "yea it's not perfect but it's honest, enjoy".

I think I finally accepted that making music is something I really enjoy and that it's okay to take the hobby seriously, took me 8 years to realize that lol

Any similar stories?

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
I think I finally accepted that making music is something I really enjoy and that it's okay to take the hobby seriously, took me 8 years to realize that lol

Any similar stories?
Sure. I try not to think about the ridiculous amount of money I’ve spent over the past couple decades (and will continue to spend) that has mostly been only for my own personal enjoyment. I wouldn’t mind sharing my music (and have) but it’s not a driving motivator anymore.

Took me almost 18 years to get to that point, had to take an extended break prior to a couple years ago as my head wasn’t in it. I have been more productive over the past year, year and a half then I’ve been in a long time even considering I have had less time than I did 15+ years ago. It’s something I enjoy and that’s good enough.