• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I wrote a new song tonight and recording a little demo, but I'm also a lil drunk and am not good at posting my own music 😬. So heres the last cover i uploaded. Its a song by Liam Gallagher (oasis singer dude).

I've never posted music on here before 😂 my equipment isnt the best either.

Edit: so ive never shared music on resetera before, but now im feeling a little like it and wanted to share a couple originals/covers.

Original song - Alleviate (this is a week after i started learning piano so my playing is amateur lol)

Sorry - Nothing But Thieves cover.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
so.. this is my first time recording and uploading something that isn't classical music, it's a very cool arrangement I found of "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I got an electric bass guitar for Christmas. Excited to learn how to play.

But! What kind of amp sims do I need? I have some guitar ones that came with my Shreddage plugin, but I'm thinking this is a little different? Don't suppose I can just plug it in and load an IR on there and be good to go >_>

If you know any good free bass amp sims, I'll take 'em!

Edit: Looks like the plugin FA3 has some bass presets. Ignite Amps also have a free bass amp.

:D But I"ll take other recs too.

Last edited:

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I got an electric bass guitar for Christmas. Excited to learn how to play.

But! What kind of amp sims do I need? I have some guitar ones that came with my Shreddage plugin, but I'm thinking this is a little different? Don't suppose I can just plug it in and load an IR on there and be good to go >_>

If you know any good free bass amp sims, I'll take 'em!

Edit: Looks like the plugin FA3 has some bass presets. Ignite Amps also have a free bass amp.

:D But I"ll take other recs too.

I use Amplitube, personally. I think they have a free tier that is expandable through DLC. I know I forked over $100 for the Ampeg SVX 2 package. It's pretty sweet.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
New question: How the fuck do I hook this bass up to my computer? I was looking at cables but reviews for bass => PC cables seem to have latency issues, unless I'm not looking at the right brands.

Do I need something to go between the two?

Got any recs on any of this? Trying not to break the bank but also would rather buy something that'll last instead of buying something again a year from now.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
you'll want a USB audio interface. they're boxes that plug in via usb and then have a range of audio inputs like 1/4 inch jack for your bass, xlr for a microphone etc.
this will keep the latency at an all time low and also allow you to control the level/recording volume of the instrument as well as often allow you to directly monitor the instrument as well.

i use and recommend focusrite's scarlett series but i imagine there are plenty of others out there.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
New question: How the fuck do I hook this bass up to my computer? I was looking at cables but reviews for bass => PC cables seem to have latency issues, unless I'm not looking at the right brands.

Do I need something to go between the two?

Got any recs on any of this? Trying not to break the bank but also would rather buy something that'll last instead of buying something again a year from now.
These will do
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproio/?pkey=irig-pro-io

https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id4/overview/

Personally go with the audient. The preamp are way better, same as the big form consoles.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
That is a much more handsome pricetag! I think I'm on intel so hopefully I won't have any issues with it.
just make sure you're using a powered usb port as that has no additional power source, that's always on ideally, usually can fix by going into the bios if ones that are powered go off during shutdown. You want your interface to come on first before pc start up.

Updated link...

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...hsa-tetris&store_ref=SB_A018288521A62JQHTGZ6U

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so Popgun launched an AI based mastering service, which seems... bad imo. wondering how this measures up to landr for anyone who's used both https://glossaudio.com/

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Urgh I hate generic descriptions of mastering as "louder and clearer"... That's not the point, and its not as simple as max loudness. If it were just turn up your av.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
So I'm moving onto my next cover, which I'd like to be the villain song from the musical Cats

But I'm having a bitch of a time getting it to line up in any way shape or form on my piano roll. Midi that I found is at 86 but the internet says the song is at 88. Neither really work, and the midi doesn't match the youtube performance worth a damn. Maybe it's because it's live or inspired by jazz/swing/whatever that it doesn't fall into perfect lines, but that taylor swift song matched the bar lines to a damn T. Was awesome :P

My other option is to just pull the song apart and compose whatever I want and scream over it, but I want to keep some hints of the original or it's really not worth doing.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Just want to make sure I follow...are you trying to get a midi to line up with bar lines in recording software?

Currently going through a big move, but when I'm settled in I may be able to help fix the midi file. I'm fairly experienced as an amateur transcriber and midi author.
At this point I'm just using what's in the midi as a baseline and doing my own dumb shit. Since it's gonna be heavy distorted guitars, following the track to a T isn't going to work.

Also my bro looked at me like I was some idiot alien when I told him this was my next tune :P if it frustrates me too much I'll pick something easier and less dumb.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experience using Pocket Operators? I just ordered a po-33 and can't wait to start playing around with it.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone recommend me a good and cheap mixer (~50 $/€ or preferably less)?
I usually use headphones when playing PS4 and sometimes I also want to have some music in the background. Now I thought it would be great if I could just mix the output of my TV and the output of my MP3 player and send both to my headphones while also being able to control the volume of the respective source.
Maybe there is a better option than buying a mixer, but right now this seems reasonable to me.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
A few weeks ago I bought a Korg Minilogue XD. I've had a ton of fun playing around with it but now I'm ready to expand.
Ideally I would like to go daw-less. I've used daws in the past but I think playing with real hardware and spending time away from the PC is a much more enjoyable experience. However this stuff is expensive and I'm a bit lost on how to progress with my setup. Currently I'm thinking maybe an Electribe + a mixer should be a good start. Another option would be some kind of sequencer + a few volca synths instead of the electribe. I'm ready to spend about $500. I'd appreciate any thoughts/recommendations on what to get(including what mixer to buy).

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Say anyone know any good resources for learning steel slide lap guitar? Got my dad one for Christmas but at this point I'm considering learning it myself since I have some hand pressure issues that keep me from doing regular guitars and the like(I've tried in the past, it didn't end well). I know this isn't quite the thread but I figured it's worth an ask. I have a basic music theory background and I'm piano sheet music literate...( I seriously need to work on my fingering, I've got a half decent one hand sight read down but I don't practice enough and I really need a mentor).
So thanks either way. I just play for fun... but I'd love to do more as right now I just get stuck helping out running soundboards at local stuff as I have base level competency and general knowledge plus I'm reliable.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Randumb little corona-themed track I made on a PO-33 w/ Korg Monotron Delay while I'm stuck up in Seattle away from home. Really love this thing. Obviously limited but a ton of fun to play around with.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Hiya. I'm wondering if someone has any recommendations on a good MIDI pad trigger I can play with sticks. My acoustic drum situation is unfortunately gone now, and while I'd like to go back to an E-Kit that I had before, I just don't have any space in my tiny ass apartment :(

My current plan was to get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJ7FGS...olid=3FIOMRLOHS2Y8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
But I want something I can really play drums with. In a perfect world I would just get an Octapad, but those cost like 800 bucks. What I need is basically the sensitivity of an Octapad, but a Dumb MIDI trigger version that doesnt have all the samples and whatnot built in, and is hopefully much cheaper. I am planning on using my super old copy of Steven Slate Drums with it, through Logic, with a Behringer UMC404HD Audio interface.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Hamst3r

Oct 25, 2017
how much should headroom should I have when sampling?
When sampling I'd say you don't really need any. Make it as loud as you can without clipping, which is something you determine on a per sample basis. You don't gain any advantage by having your sampled recording be quieter, but you can possibly gain an advantage by having it be louder / more dynamic.

Headroom is more of a concern for later in the process, like mastering depending on what format or medium your music is going to be on. (edit: or when recording acoustic instruments, e.g. drums are very percussive. :P)

Last edited:

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
When sampling I'd say you don't really need any. Make it as loud as you can without clipping, which is something you determine on a per sample basis. You don't gain any advantage by having your sampled recording be quieter, but you can possibly gain an advantage by having it be louder / more dynamic.

Headroom is more of a concern for later in the process, like mastering depending on what format or medium your music is going to be on. (edit: or when recording acoustic instruments, e.g. drums are very percussive. :P)
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Welp I bought a Digitone to get me through quarantine. I haven't had this much fun with an instrument since being a child. Spent all night excited about playing with it again and ended up barely getting any sleep.

Eighthours

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Welp I bought a Digitone to get me through quarantine. I haven't had this much fun with an instrument since being a child. Spent all night excited about playing with it again and ended up barely getting any sleep.

The Digitone went a bit under the radar for me. I didn't see much hype when it was revealed, but since it came out people seem to have really loved it. Glad you're enjoying it!