• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Not to keep shitting up this thread with random stuff, but I'm playing around with using a multi-band compressor as an EQ and it's pretty neat. More for my vocals than anything else. Being able to compress one part more than another and crank the volume adds a bit more beast to them, though it does make me see that there are a few takes that need to be retaken. Still, fun stuff.

Been recording another song but I fucked the mic placement up on the first day so verse one sounds way different than verse two. Gonna have to redo some stuff :X

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Hello Musician-GAF

I need 2 pieces of classical piano played but I am not versed at all with audacity and similar programs so I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to do it for money or video games?

it's a 3:30 minute piece (it's prokofiev's popular "Precipitato" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwji3k0v_AM ) so it's not a lot of work I guess.

I have part of the audios already but can't seem to cut the parts and have them sound without hiccups or audible cuts, etc...

I already have a base interpretation from the first part that I like how it sounds, but there are a couple of blurry/sloppy chords and I need to export from another file where they are clearer and copy/paste on the base interpretation. In this case, reading music would help a ton because then I could say exactly what I want out and replaced with a better file.

Is anyone good enough with sound editing that could make cuts and pastes even when it's loud and fast and have it sound fluid and seamlessly?? I am not sure it's even possible.

anyone interested? PM' me!

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Threw up my first song on Soundcloud last night. It definitely needs some mastering but that's not my priority right now. Mainly working on composition and experimentation at the moment. Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Hey here's a question for y'all: So this band put out an album a few years ago that sounds cool but some of the mixing is really bad, most specifically, the high-end guitar leads are hard panned 100% to the right and kept pretty loud. It hurts to listen to on headphones. Band broke up and the stems are gone, but I'm wondering if there's any way to fix this on my end, because I'd like the album if this wasn't occurring. I got a DAW with all the fancy stuff, so if there's a way to fix it, I'm willing to experiment.

Oct 26, 2017
Hey here's a question for y'all: So this band put out an album a few years ago that sounds cool but some of the mixing is really bad, most specifically, the high-end guitar leads are hard panned 100% to the right and kept pretty loud. It hurts to listen to on headphones. Band broke up and the stems are gone, but I'm wondering if there's any way to fix this on my end, because I'd like the album if this wasn't occurring. I got a DAW with all the fancy stuff, so if there's a way to fix it, I'm willing to experiment.
Split the stereo track into two mono tracks and eq the right one?

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
There are tools to lower the stereo wideness but since they are panned 100% to the right you would have to feed some of the stuff from the right to the left channel and vise versa which can mess with the other instruments. You could have varying degrees of success with that. For the guitar leads you could EQ them but since you don't have stems you would EQ the whole track. You have a DAW though so you could enable the EQ only if the leads are playing which might give a better result, you could also use a dynamic EQ or multiband compressor to lower the volume of certain frequencies if they get too loud.

You will not get an optimal result, but you could improve them a bit. I know the stereo stuff is especially annoying when wearing headphones, I think I had a song from back in the day when the first stereo recordings were made and there were a ton of releases where instruments were strictly panned 100% left or right and I managed to fix this. Like Purple Haze from Jimi Hendrix where his voice is 100% to the right, it's so annoying.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
There are tools to lower the stereo wideness but since they are panned 100% to the right you would have to feed some of the stuff from the right to the left channel and vise versa which can mess with the other instruments. You could have varying degrees of success with that. For the guitar leads you could EQ them but since you don't have stems you would EQ the whole track. You have a DAW though so you could enable the EQ only if the leads are playing which might give a better result, you could also use a dynamic EQ or multiband compressor to lower the volume of certain frequencies if they get too loud.

You will not get an optimal result, but you could improve them a bit. I know the stereo stuff is especially annoying when wearing headphones, I think I had a song from back in the day when the first stereo recordings were made and there were a ton of releases where instruments were strictly panned 100% left or right and I managed to fix this. Like Purple Haze from Jimi Hendrix where his voice is 100% to the right, it's so annoying.
It's so frustrating. Guy said it was the first album this lady ever mixed, but even for a first, I dunno how you do that. And sure there are times and places to hard pan something, but you have to EQ it and adjust the volume just right or it sounds harsh.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
It's so frustrating. Guy said it was the first album this lady ever mixed, but even for a first, I dunno how you do that. And sure there are times and places to hard pan something, but you have to EQ it and adjust the volume just right or it sounds harsh.
well there are music genres where the whole point is making it sound like it was recorded years ago. I don't remember the name of the band but I listened to their albums and they were all recorded in mono and broken speaker distorted aswell but it was a stylistic choice that they wanted.
But still Guy sounds like he was not satisfied with the result which means you have to kick whatever persons ass for doing a bad job. I would never accept an abysmal production.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
well there are music genres where the whole point is making it sound like it was recorded years ago. I don't remember the name of the band but I listened to their albums and they were all recorded in mono and broken speaker distorted aswell but it was a stylistic choice that they wanted.
But still Guy sounds like he was not satisfied with the result which means you have to kick whatever persons ass for doing a bad job. I would never accept an abysmal production.
Same. I don't know if she was a friend and did it for free or just cut 'em a nice deal or what, but it's not something you really should compromise on either way. But I only know enough about music production to be mediocre at it and complain, so /shrug. To be honest, I'll probably wind up forgetting about it all within the next few days. Plenty of other doom metal in the sea if I'm in the mood.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
You coul create a Mid/Side Processing Routing Matrix:

For the mid/side matrix the following formulae is used to calculate the processing to isolate the mono and stereo fields of a track.
Equation 1: Mid/Side processing​
Mid: M=(L+R)÷2​
Sides: S=(L-R)÷2​
I use Pro Tools/Studio One 4 primarily as DAWs in addition to Wavelab but the process should still apply across others like FL.

Using this, the routing matrix is then built in Pro Tools as follows:
I used Pro Tools Trim AAX plugin for this, but you should be able to use a similar multichannel plugin that can affect the L & R channel independently as well as invert polarity on those channels in your respective DAW. You should duplicate identical versions of a Stereo track two more times for the Mid and Side processing (you'll see the track layout below).

32458922688_14a9f3239b_o.png

Figure 1: Original track polarity inverted, Left & Right linked (button is blue on the top right)

32458922618_e61ceef27d_o.png

Figure 2: 1st Track duplicate, Sides track, Right channel only polarity invert (button grey, R showing)

32458922558_29df07e062_o.png

Figure 3: 2nd Track duplicate, Mid track, Left & Right linked​

Note: Due to division of two, both mid and side channels have a reduction in amplitude of -6.0 dB.

32458922508_dd398d37ed_o.png

Figure 4: L + R Aux channel, Mid Level, Mono > Left & Right Stereo Returns

32458922478_dd04596d68_o.png

Figure 5: L – R Aux channel, Side Level Left, Mono > Left Returns

32458922388_a4b33d6237_o.png

Figure 6: R - L Aux channel, polarity invert, Side Level Right, Mono > Right Returns

32458922368_ca1921e794_o.png

Figure 7: Mid/Side track layout. You can see here the final Stereo Left Return and Stereo Right Return are routed to the Master. Also note that the L + R Mid Level aux channel output is also routed to both the Left Stereo Return & Right Stereo Return Aux channels inputs.​

Doing this gives you a lot of freedom to experiment and fix issues if you don't have the hardware or tools to sort out a lot of m/s issues. However there are some things that can't be fixed, and need session files for a remix. Hope this helps...

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This is an amazing post, thank you!

I do fear that I'm too stupid to understand most of it though :X

I'll look into waht I can/can't do with FL studio tomorrow if I get some free time. I kinda want to try this for the sake of trying now. Like, it's not about the music but about winning
Don't feel you're too stupid... It's not the easiest of stuff first time round, and I'd probably be lost trying to get it going in an unfamiliar DAW. If you're unsure about something, I'll try and explain it some more. The thing I've seen people use a lot in FL as a short cut is using a preset in Stereo Shaper within the Patcher, then use Fruity Parametric EQ in that on the split Mid and Side coming off the Stereo Shaper. Doesn't give you quite the flexibility as above in my example as you can put anything on the inserts on all of those channels even on the final output, but you'll probs get decent results depending on what you use. Also you could use a stereo widener on the guitars to mono it a bit towards centre on the Right channel of mid/side process, a de-esser can come in handy if there's harsh frequencies causing problems.

SonofDonCD

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Has anyone here tried out Scuffham S-Gear?
I own it yeah. Superb. Combine it with Ownhammer impulses, Guitar and Bass collections, and it sounds great... even better in combination with some tape/console modelling and eq.

They'll be updating S-Gear soon to a new version which supports high dpi displays which will be nice.

Last edited:

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I own it yeah. Superb. Combine it with Ownhammer impulses, Guitar and Bass collections, and it sounds great... even better in combination with some tape/console modelling and eq.

They'll be updating S-Gear soon to a new version which supports high dpi displays which will be nice.

This is my first foray into amp modelling, and I have to admit I'm having a hard time getting clean rhythm tones. Do you know of any guides/tutorials out there?

I've read that it's very sensitive to the guitar's knob and pickup settings, and the presets sound almost right--but once I start tweaking it immediately sounds either too flat or too harsh.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Wayfarer and Duke are good clean amp models. Remember these are much like real amps in that you don't/shouldn't have to drive the amp settings too hard for a good tone, maybe push the output of the amp level up but the rest... be conservative with settings for a clean tone.

Your tone/vol controls and pickup selection will have an impact on the character of the guitar tone you'll get, neck pickups will in general be more warm, bridge is jangly/more treble. Also passive and active pickups respond differently as well and will also influence how hot your Hi-Z Di input levels are, so be careful you're not clipping at input.

You can mess around in the power amp settings under the tweak button in S-gear which usually displays some eq and presence controls. Experiment with the included IR's in the Pro Convolver as well as these can drastically change your sound. Also double track your guitar recordings as it'll make them more full sounding with texture.

Post record you can use a DAW eq to boost some mid/high mid, cut some muddy frequencies and take out some low and unneeded sub frequencies on guitars.

Most of all check guitar tones in a mix with basic lvl and pan, not individually as almost always track elements on their own sound terrible.

SBit

Feb 25, 2018
I got a few questions for more experienced people in here:

I have been toying with making some "gamey" tracks lately. I am pretty much self-taught about music production (mixing, mastering), and I've come across something that is often said, that mixing&mastering tracks for games is different to other media.
I guess that makes sense.

But what does that mean exactly? I imagine that might mean making a mix sit more in the back (via reverbs?)? Maybe avoiding heavy sounds in certain frequency areas?

I've been enjoying making a few songs last month, most recently a pirate theme this week, so if anyone would care to make some comments about that I would really appreciate it.
Is this something that would be appropriate for a commercial product?
https://soundcloud.com/svarun-music-services/pirate-theme/s-gsTSj

And another example of a more "modern" combat theme.
https://soundcloud.com/svarun-music-services/storm-2/s-vBp9C

And then there is one final question I wish to ask:
I've noticed there's a ton musicians making music online, but the crazy thing here is that there's such a large number of them that would literally volunteer to make music for free just for a chance to be involved in a project. I find that crazy. It takes time, effort and expensive gear&software to produce a good song and I can't imagine selling/donating it for a few peanuts or to charge 10$ for a minute of music.
If I wanted to get a track professionally mixed and mastered I would end up losing money with rates like that.
How does any of this actually work?

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Well the people who would do it for free are their own enemy and they actually undermine artists who charge money for it. It's the same mentality people saying "art is not a real job". Imo you should always charge money even if it's just a hobby.
But what does that mean exactly? I imagine that might mean making a mix sit more in the back (via reverbs?)? Maybe avoiding heavy sounds in certain frequency areas?
It depends... it could not be very different from music if it's literally just a background song in a Mario level. But it could also be more like a movie too. Then there is also dynamic music that changes based on what happens in the game.

It's better than some game music I have heard.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I got a few questions for more experienced people in here:

I have been toying with making some "gamey" tracks lately. I am pretty much self-taught about music production (mixing, mastering), and I've come across something that is often said, that mixing&mastering tracks for games is different to other media.
I guess that makes sense.

I've been enjoying making a few songs last month, most recently a pirate theme this week, so if anyone would care to make some comments about that I would really appreciate it.

And then there is one final question I wish to ask:
I've noticed there's a ton musicians making music online, but the crazy thing here is that there's such a large number of them that would literally volunteer to make music for free just for a chance to be involved in a project. I find that crazy. It takes time, effort and expensive gear&software to produce a good song and I can't imagine selling/donating it for a few peanuts or to charge 10$ for a minute of music.
If I wanted to get a track professionally mixed and mastered I would end up losing money with rates like that.
Dynamic range and overall loudness of your tracks is a big one... Aim for -23 LUFS for your game music. Compare this to something going out on Spotify around -14 LUFS. Also the audio design software like Wwise and Fmod will have tools which affect your composition dynamically. Also effects will interact in game such as reverbs and delays will create an immersive gameplay environment through dynamic integration, so you should try and create as dry audio tracks as possible, if doing some sound design as well, but always maximise dynamic range regardless, not a lot of traditional mastering goes on in game audio like a band release. 48 kHz sample rate, and dither if going from 24 bit to 16 bit on output render... A lot of games with the resampler use 44.1 kHz instead and 16 bit.

SBit

Feb 25, 2018
Well the people who would do it for free are their own enemy and they actually undermine artists who charge money for it. It's the same mentality people saying "art is not a real job". Imo you should always charge money even if it's just a hobby.
It depends... it could not be very different from music if it's literally just a background song in a Mario level. But it could also be more like a movie too. Then there is also dynamic music that changes based on what happens in the game.

It's better than some game music I have heard.

Yes I think you are right. Beating themselves down into the ground. And thank you for nice words :)

Dynamic range and overall loudness of your tracks is a big one... Aim for -23 LUFS for your game music. Compare this to something going out on Spotify around -14 LUFS. Also the audio design software like Wwise and Fmod will have tools which affect your composition dynamically. Also effects will interact in game such as reverbs and delays will create an immersive gameplay environment through dynamic integration, so you should try and create as dry audio tracks as possible, if doing some sound design as well, but always maximise dynamic range regardless, not a lot of traditional mastering goes on in game audio like a band release. 48 kHz sample rate, and dither if going from 24 bit to 16 bit on output render... A lot of games with the resampler use 44.1 kHz instead and 16 bit.

First thing I did was google "what is LUFS" and downloaded a LUFS meter plugin :)
So if I undestand you correctly, tracks should be made very dry and then reverbs are added via software middleware or in-game?
I suppose that doesn't include things like main menu themes?
Thank you for the lesson!

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yes I think you are right. Beating themselves down into the ground. And thank you for nice words :)

First thing I did was google "what is LUFS" and downloaded a LUFS meter plugin :)
So if I undestand you correctly, tracks should be made very dry and then reverbs are added via software middleware or in-game?
I suppose that doesn't include things like main menu themes?
Thank you for the lesson!
Well music you can probably put reverbs and delays in, as that is often what gives a composition a lot of its character... no effects in your music would sound very dull and a bad mix. What I meant with dry tracks is if you're dealing with sound design, such as effects that are affected by what is happening in-game. Say walking down a corridor, you don't want to create a gunshot or footsteps that reverberate off the walls as a baked in sound effect. The software (Wwise/fmod) have effects tools to add this to the dry audio file, and then it can be dynamically controlled by what is going on in the game environment. It just gets messy when you render stuff will all the effects in place. Also think about looping when composing, a natural start>end>start>end and so forth, and trigger events in games, like main menu music, boss battles, world music... that sort of thing.

this is for podcasting but though ya'll might appreciate the bedroom closet 😆

RT4SdBo.jpg
Whatever works :)

Just got a new toy for the new year myself:

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
If you have songs available for streaming online, this could be of interest to you. Someone made a tool to calculate the price per stream you can get on Choon VS the major streaming services (Spotify, Apple, Pandora, YouTube etc).

Right now you get 15 times more : https://choontrance.com/notes-price/

It is all pretty volatile since not much people trade Notes yet, but more features are planned to stabilize and give more value to the coin in 2019.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I am not convinced at all.
You make 15 times more per stream, but since nobody ever uses this you get 99% less streams. Then this thing is financed by some weird blockchain shit and at that point I'm out. The best combination to earn money is putting your albums on bandcamp + release them on all major streaming platforms.

People always say how Spotify doesn't pay enough but they don't realize you're way better of as an artist in todays world compared to the 90s and earlier because you don't need a label that picks you up.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I am not convinced at all.
You make 15 times more per stream, but since nobody ever uses this you get 99% less streams. Then this thing is financed by some weird blockchain shit and at that point I'm out. The best combination to earn money is putting your albums on bandcamp + release them on all major streaming platforms.

People always say how Spotify doesn't pay enough but they don't realize you're way better of as an artist in todays world compared to the 90s and earlier because you don't need a label that picks you up.

You didn't need a label in the 90s either. You could make live gigs, there were lots of small venues and people would actually show up! Also they were buying more music directly back then.

Anyway about Choon, not trying to convince you, it's pretty new so there ain't much people there yet. I have close to 6000 streams there in 4 months, which isn't much but I did 0 paid promo, only sent fans there instead of other services. Crypto part is only for the ethereum contract that gives the opportunity to get paid once a day for your streams. Honestly, I would love for it to grow because I don't need Apple or Google taking a bunch of my revenues just to put my music online. I'm not expecting Choon to take the place of the big guys but it may become a great platform for smaller / emerging artists (like SoundCloud).

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Question, can I show you guys here my work I posted yesterday on youtube? maybe I need to read more in the thread but I haven't seen many people sharing their accounts or work on yt, is there a reson for that?

well my videos are done and I guess it's time to show it to the world, I am still figuring out how to make them wide available but I guess I can post them here, constructive criticism is very welcome. the genre is classical piano, solo.

and I made videos of 2 pieces.

the Precipitato from Prokofiev's 7th Sonata: https://youtu.be/IImr6Bnjwwo is fast and kind of jazzy
the slow movement, adagio Sostenuto from Beethoven's moonlight Sonata: https://youtu.be/7lmvw2ZhF-s is very romantic and atmospheric

props to the video director for changing the light according to the mood, I loved the moonlight tone on Beethoven's piece.

if you guys like, then "like", share, subscribe etc. :) I will also reciprocate likes and subscriptions.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Great playing, I like the interpretation.

Moonlight Sonata is such a masterpiece. I can't listen to it without imagining Beethoven playing it in a state going from courage to despair. You should do the third movement too, but it sounds really hard to play ;P

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
this is for podcasting but though ya'll might appreciate the bedroom closet 😆

RT4SdBo.jpg

I'm thinking of doing something similar. Just got my mic/preamp setup with a sound shield but my damn house is too close to the road so I'm still getting background noise. Thinking of sound dampening the closet as a makeshift recording booth (if I can find enough space for all our shit).

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Great playing, I like the interpretation.

Moonlight Sonata is such a masterpiece. I can't listen to it without imagining Beethoven playing it in a state going from courage to despair. You should do the third movement too, but it sounds really hard to play ;P

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

I've played the whole Sonata, the 3 movements in recitals many times, we just ran out of time to record the video :P so the missing 2 movements are coming probably around summer.

that was probably not very smart cause, the "Presto Agitato" is basically your money maker on social media.

easily the most monetizable classical piano music there is, if Rousseau and Valentina Lisitza (youtube most viewed pianists) are anything to go by,

they have like 30 MILLION views on their Moonlight Sonata videos, while almost all their other pieces just do ok,

play it well and you're guaranteed a 6-digit number or more on your video. that's a ton of money if you know your stuff in regards to monetization

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017

The leaks were real, wow.

Also, they seem to have fully embraced the Aphex Twin connection after the Monologue. This looks like made with him and the rest of the IDM crowd in mind.
Sadly, the drum machine seems to not have individual outs again. Not even audio-over-USB like Roland stuff. And since it's digital, you probably can't mod that in.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wow, that thing looks fuckin rad. the CV in/outs are neat, cool that the Volca Mod has CV in too. tempting!

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So does anybody have experience with selling music online? Are cds better or just sound files. Is it worth trying for noname musicians?

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question, can I show you guys here my work I posted yesterday on youtube? maybe I need to read more in the thread but I haven't seen many people sharing their accounts or work on yt, is there a reson for that?

well my videos are done and I guess it's time to show it to the world, I am still figuring out how to make them wide available but I guess I can post them here, constructive criticism is very welcome. the genre is classical piano, solo.

and I made videos of 2 pieces.

the Precipitato from Prokofiev's 7th Sonata: https://youtu.be/IImr6Bnjwwo is fast and kind of jazzy
the slow movement, adagio Sostenuto from Beethoven's moonlight Sonata: https://youtu.be/7lmvw2ZhF-s is very romantic and atmospheric

props to the video director for changing the light according to the mood, I loved the moonlight tone on Beethoven's piece.

if you guys like, then "like", share, subscribe etc. :) I will also reciprocate likes and subscriptions.

Video looks great. What camera and lightig did you use?

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Video looks great. What camera and lightig did you use?

not sure, I paid a professional guy to do all of it and he mentioned it but I forgot. supposedly it was a super expensive "For TV commercials" camera so the job was a bit pricey...

I have my mind set on buying an expensive Vlogger camera and do them myself, it's otherwise unrealistic to keep paying that money for every video.

specially considering sound is what matters in my case, not so much the visual.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not sure, I paid a professional guy to do all of it and he mentioned it but I forgot. supposedly it was a super expensive "For TV commercials" camera so the job was a bit pricey...

I have my mind set on buying an expensive Vlogger camera and do them myself, it's otherwise unrealistic to keep paying that money for every video.

specially considering sound is what matters in my case, not so much the visual.
You are right about that.. facing the same problem ;) also what mic do you use? I use two at 4040s

Sphinx is amazing btw. (Just bought it on switch)

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
You are right about that.. facing the same problem ;) also what mic do you use? I use two at 4040s

Sphinx is amazing btw. (Just bought it on switch)

I know! lol I started with that username back in 2006 on GAF just to raise awareness that the game existed and it stuck.

I use the H4N Zoom recorder, it get's the job done. Problem is the pianos, they are always shit, the pedal squeaks, the one key is out of tune, always something.

61aiQT9FcnL._SY550_.jpg

are you per chance GAF's claviertekky with another username? we used to have an improvised piano thread back then.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know! lol I started with that username back in 2006 on GAF just to raise awareness that the game existed and it stuck.

I use the H4N Zoom recorder, it get's the job done. Problem is the pianos, they are always shit, the pedal squeaks, the one key is out of tune, always something.

61aiQT9FcnL._SY550_.jpg

are you per chance GAF's claviertekky with another username? we used to have an improvised piano thread back then.
No, sporecrawler in gaf :).