• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smaller. It is harder than ever to bring people to live gigs.

Start small and build up!
okay so an update on this.

we have started with some local venues all over our region and have organized four concerts so far with the fifth being very soon. typically we attracted about 60-70 people. we did not charge anything so far but asked for donations and got mostly enough to cover for the venue (but not the accompanist). I am thinking about charging next time. what should the ticket price be? 10 bucks?

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
okay so an update on this.

we have started with some local venues all over our region and have organized four concerts so far with the fifth being very soon. typically we attracted about 60-70 people. we did not charge anything so far but asked for donations and got mostly enough to cover for the venue (but not the accompanist). I am thinking about charging next time. what should the ticket price be? 10 bucks?
Not sure in dollars, but when I was gigging we would charge around £4.50 to £5 entry fee, not much more even if a support act.

It depends on how you've negotiated payment with the venue also... Some will take all from tickets sold up until a certain audience count then the rest go to you, say 40 through the door is venue profit any through door above that is yours, not a fan of this high risk as you could get 1 more ticket sold all night that goes to you depending on the threshold. You could go the route of donation, as you have done and we did our fair share of free gigs. Another example would be split of total ticket sales to you and venue 50/50, 60/40 that sort of thing with good ratio(best method imo). Or paid by free drinks as you're pulling in customers(this isn't a good one) but happens.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure in dollars, but when I was gigging we would charge around £4.50 to £5 entry fee, not much more even if a support act.

It depends on how you've negotiated payment with the venue also... Some will take all from tickets sold up until a certain audience count then the rest go to you, say 40 through the door is venue profit any through door above that is yours, not a fan of this high risk as you could get 1 more ticket sold all night that goes to you depending on the threshold. You could go the route of donation, as you have done and we did our fair share of free gigs. Another example would be split of total ticket sales to you and venue 50/50, 60/40 that sort of thing with good ratio(best method imo). Or paid by free drinks as you're pulling in customers(this isn't a good one) but happens.
thanks for the reply. yeah the venue is the problem since we need a piano which rules out a lot of interesting opportunities.

On a related note: did anyone try doing stream concerts? I mean you could broadcast your own gig and even broadcast from your home.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Anyone know some places to get guitar impulses? I have that big 7 DEADLY SINS one from however long ago. Don't remember where I got it.

I'd really like a gojira or whitechapel one since amps are hard and impulses are not.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Anyone know some places to get guitar impulses? I have that big 7 DEADLY SINS one from however long ago. Don't remember where I got it.

I'd really like a gojira or whitechapel one since amps are hard and impulses are not.
Ownhammer are the best ones to get in my experience. You rarely find band specific stuff, just what people have used in their presets to do a soundalike, but with the different mics/positions with cabs ir setups you get in ownhammers you should get close depending on what amp sim you're using. They have a free demo pack available also.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Ownhammer are the best ones to get in my experience. You rarely find band specific stuff, just what people have used in their presets to do a soundalike, but with the different mics/positions with cabs ir setups you get in ownhammers you should get close depending on what amp sim you're using. They have a free demo pack available also.
Killer! Thanks!

Don't suppose you know of any free distortion pedals too? There's this green TSE808 or whatever I see thrown around a lot on youtube, but I could never get it to open without crashing. Wondering what else is out there.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Killer! Thanks!

Don't suppose you know of any free distortion pedals too? There's this green TSE808 or whatever I see thrown around a lot on youtube, but I could never get it to open without crashing. Wondering what else is out there.

https://www.tseaudio.com/software/tse808
https://www.tseaudio.com/software/tseR47
http://www.igniteamps.com/#ts-999
http://www.igniteamps.com/#tsb-1
https://mercuriall.com/cms/details_freestuff

Also a couple extra here:
https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/free/guitar-pedal-emulation/newest

Softube's Saturation Knob is also worth a download to warm up tones:
https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=satknob

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone give me very basic pointers on how to use a DAW with my synth? I have a roland fa-06 that I mess around with(nothing pro). Can I play my patches in the DAW or does the DAW just control what my board plays back? I don't really know how all that stuff works. Also, as far as a DAW, is there something good to use with an ipad?

Edit: After playing around with my iPad, I'm seeing there are tons of synths to DL. I tried the AudioKit Synth 1. So if I have some synth apps, I can just integrate them into an iPad DAW somehow I'm assuming.

Last edited:

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone give me very basic pointers on how to use a DAW with my synth? I have a roland fa-06 that I mess around with(nothing pro). Can I play my patches in the DAW or does the DAW just control what my board plays back? I don't really know how all that stuff works. Also, as far as a DAW, is there something good to use with an ipad?

Edit: After playing around with my iPad, I'm seeing there are tons of synths to DL. I tried the AudioKit Synth 1. So if I have some synth apps, I can just integrate them into an iPad DAW somehow I'm assuming.

I've not used it but as I understand it there's a whole host of things you can do with the FA-06 as it's quite fully featured.

PC: the keyboard has a DAW control mode for the generally popular DAWs, this will allow you to easily control a range of features in the software but will be dependent on which software you decide to use.

More generically there's audio and MIDI over USB, this means that you could use the DAW to play your patches and record them directly back in, the level of MIDI mapping on the FA-06 will determine how intricate your control from the DAW is.

You'll also be able to use your FA-06 to control software instruments and parameters in the DAW, again the level of control will be dependent how much the FA-06 allows to be sent over MIDI. At the very least the keys will be sent in to the DAW.

iPad: things are a bit less featured on the iPad as you'll lose the audio over USB functionality but can still do a bunch of MIDI stuff. This means you will be able to control your patches with the iPad but not get the sounds in to the ipad, you'll need a third device if you want to record your FA-06 audio. What I would do is decide which protocol you'd like to use (iAA and audiobus are the main ones) and look for apps that use that feature, they should all work together well. The synth you've downloaded already has both, audio bus costs money but supports over 1000 apps, well worth it imo. iAA is freely included in all apps that support it and well featured. Simply choose an iPad DAW that features iAA that suits your budget, get a lightning to USB adaptor and you're good to start building your software library on iPad.

Last edited:

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I've not used it but as I understand it there's a whole host of things you can do with the FA-06 as it's quite fully featured.

PC: the keyboard has a DAW control mode for the generally popular DAWs, this will allow you to easily control a range of features in the software but will be dependent on which software you decide to use.

More generically there's audio and MIDI over USB, this means that you could use the DAW to play your patches and record them directly back in, the level of MIDI mapping on the FA-06 will determine how intricate your control from the DAW is.

You'll also be able to use your FA-06 to control software instruments and parameters in the DAW, again the level of control will be dependent how much the FA-06 allows to be sent over MIDI. At the very least the keys will be sent in to the DAW.

iPad: things are a bit less featured on the iPad as you'll lose the audio over USB functionality but can still do a bunch of MIDI stuff. This means you will be able to control your patches with the iPad but not get the sounds in to the ipad, you'll need a third device if you want to record your FA-06 audio. What I would do is decide which protocol you'd like to use (iAA and audiobus are the main ones) and look for apps that use that feature, they should all work together well. The synth you've downloaded already has both, audio bus costs money but supports over 1000 apps, well worth it imo. iAA is freely included in all apps that support it and well featured. Simply choose an iPad DAW that features iAA that suits your budget, get a lightning to USB adaptor and you're good to start building your software library on iPad.
Thanks for all the detailed info. I think I might try cubasis 2 on the ipad and just use my fa-06 as a controller to play synths that I DL. Seems there are lots of synths and most are really cheap

Edit: If not cubasis, maybe beatmaker 3? That one seems to get a lot of good reviews

One other question I had was regarding audio. I've been running a 1/4 inch cable from the headphone jack on the board to a little stereo splitter where one end goes to a pair of headphones and another to my laptop. When I do that, I noticed that the sound literally cuts in half when both are powered on. I'm assuming I need something that goes between them that I'm missing

Last edited:

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Can i get some feedback and critique on this original i wrote today? (I just started learning piano and this is my first piano-written song so sorry for my sloppy playing)

SBit

Feb 25, 2018
Can i get some feedback and critique on this original i wrote today? (I just started learning piano and this is my first piano-written song so sorry for my sloppy playing)

Nobody replying to my man here...smh

Nice job overall for a first attempt!!!
That being said, you need to fix pitch issues, especially in the verse parts of the song. First I though you just need to warm up a bit, but the same things happens on each repeat. Maybe you can't hear yourself very well?

Another thing is the part at around 1:20, you really should cut 2 measures there. Since you're not doing anything with piano it's just a wasted space of about 10 seconds and I'm just waiting for the singing to resume again. Also a bit too many repets at the end. Song should be 3min max for what it is.

So mainly, practice your pitch! Usually when melody goes down there is almost a guarantee that one interval will be slightly off. I'm no singing expert but maybe practice your intervals some more. Train that pitch! Especially on the down way.

CHEERS! KEEP IT UP! :)

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017

You're a great singer. The melodies are very nice, though one small thing I would suggest is just to tweak them in a couple different places to allow for some variety. For example, the first verse melody has three lines twice repeated, so as it runs through its repeat you might keep the first as is for familiarity, but then pick something a bit different for the second and third lines to help build up towards the chorus. You do a little vocal run at the end of the second verse, and I find little modifications like that to really liven up vocal melodies. Similarly, during the second "I told her no..." in the chorus, you could switch up to some higher notes and belt it out a little, show off that voice, and emote the lyrics at the same time. You have a little run coming down out of the second verse, so these are just a couple other spots where you could apply the same strategy. I would love to see you continue that kind of thing with some slick vocal runs as you repeat "Alone" during the bridge, which would blow the roof off the song before it flows into the last chorus. Especially since the last chorus comes down a bit to give the song a soft landing, placing the climax in the bridge of the song would sound dope. I always like nice ballads that showcase a strong voice.

Maybe if you're feeling cheeky you could switch the last chord (I think it's a C) down one to a B for two notes just before the chorus/(pre-chorus?)/"My struggle" begins. The vocal melody there is excellent, and though it might sound odd at first, stepping between the end of the verse and the beginning of the chorus with a transitional chord like that can help to land into the chorus with some new energy.

During the "My struggle...My whole life..." lines, you could hold those piano chords for a whole note/four beats, and then come back into the quarter notes with the "Told her no" second half.

Also, turn your calendar!

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Heya all :)
I was wondering if anyone in here enjoyed/was good at making/producing music tracks of songs. There's a song I really want to cover but I have no solid backing track to use for the video and my vocals. Anyone possibly interested? i'd credit you for the track, of course!!

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
"Would you like to draw some art for me?"
"Yes, here are my rates"
"I am not paying you, but think about the exposure you would get"
"As I said, these are my rates"

SBit

Feb 25, 2018
"Would you like to draw some art for me?"
"Yes, here are my rates"
"I am not paying you, but think about the exposure you would get"
"As I said, these are my rates"

I will have you know, sir, he is NOT one of those so called choosing beggars you hear myths about on the internet.
What he meant to say was he would credit you some dollars for the track. Like 5 bucks, which is a fair hourly rate in eastern europe. Can't take more than an hour to make an easy track.

Fair is fair.

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I will have you know, sir, he is NOT one of those so called choosing beggars you hear myths about on the internet.
What he meant to say was he would credit you some dollars for the track. Like 5 bucks, which is a fair hourly rate in eastern europe. Can't take more than an hour to make an easy track.

Fair is fair.
Thanks, I appreciate that lol. I did indeed mean "pay for" when I said credit. I'm not that much of an asshole.

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
Hello music prod era! I'm hoping someone can answer a question:

I bought a korg synth for $100 at a pawn shop (monologue) and kind of want to mess around with it in a DAW. We have Logic Pro X at my work, but I am wondering... is there a way I can route the synth externally through my mac and use effects and plugins on the signal in Logic Pro X... in real time I guess? I haven't used a DAW in like 15 years :(

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

I bought a korg synth for $100 at a pawn shop (monologue) and kind of want to mess around with it in a DAW. We have Logic Pro X at my work, but I am wondering... is there a way I can route the synth externally through my mac and use effects and plugins on the signal in Logic Pro X... in real time I guess? I haven't used a DAW in like 15 years :(
Couple of ways...
1. Record into the DAW as a straight audio track via DI into audio interface, so have combi xlr for this or use a line in. A lot of keyboards/synths respond better over DI anyway and also separate/independent DI help prevent noise/interference over phantom crossover used from mic inputs.

2. I believe logic X allows for setup of external instruments over midi/usb. when creating an instrument track you can choose to insert as external rather than software instrument. Setup channel appropriately thats being used with external hardware, along with the named hardware for input/output etc. You can then record as midi that's triggering your hardware, add effects as inserts and bounce to new track once done.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017

Couple of ways...
1. Record into the DAW as a straight audio track via DI into audio interface, so have combi xlr for this or use a line in. A lot of keyboards/synths respond better over DI anyway and also separate/independent DI help prevent noise/interference over phantom crossover used from mic inputs.

2. I believe logic X allows for setup of external instruments over midi/usb. when creating an instrument track you can choose to insert as external rather than software instrument. Setup channel appropriately thats being used with external hardware, along with the named hardware for input/output etc. You can then record as midi that's triggering your hardware, add effects as inserts and bounce to new track once done.
You could look into MainStage as well, very powerful program geared toward playing live. Fairly certain it comes free with Logic but is very cheap standalone. Will still have to record into Logic though for editing.
Can be a bit obtuse though heh.

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
Havent been here forever, as modular synths and work just ate my life. A new Ninty Switch reignited my gaming side, though, and brought me back. Anyways, whats everyone up to on the music front? Any decent projects, tracks, etc?

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Havent been here forever, as modular synths and work just ate my life. A new Ninty Switch reignited my gaming side, though, and brought me back. Anyways, whats everyone up to on the music front? Any decent projects, tracks, etc?
Not much really since my last discord update, gonna start writing an album/EP soon, bought an Aston origin mic for vox/guitars after the apollo x8.

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Am I able to ask about mixing a vocal that is quite dynamic (the lows are a bit softer and the highs are quite a bit louder)... not to the point where my mic got hot/clipping or anything like that, but I just don't know how to even everything out so that the lows and highs sound equally powerful (i'm kind of a newb with editing vocals).

All i use is garageband, so I just have access to simple Channel EQ, Compressor etc.

Thanks so much! ^^;

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Am I able to ask about mixing a vocal that is quite dynamic (the lows are a bit softer and the highs are quite a bit louder)... not to the point where my mic got hot/clipping or anything like that, but I just don't know how to even everything out so that the lows and highs sound equally powerful (i'm kind of a newb with editing vocals).

All i use is garageband, so I just have access to simple Channel EQ, Compressor etc.

Thanks so much! ^^;
Compression only does so much and when vocals have a lot of dynamics volume automation is the way to fix it.

Choose Mix > Show Automation (or press A).

Click the Automation button Automation button in the Tracks area menu bar.
More details here:https://support.apple.com/kb/PH24988?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

After this high pass filter if you wish, then add mild compression to tighten it up a bit, then some tonal eq adjustments where necessary.

Last edited:

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Compression only does so much and when vocals have a lot of dynamics volume automation is the way to fix it.

Choose Mix > Show Automation (or press A).

Click the Automation button Automation button in the Tracks area menu bar.
More details here:https://support.apple.com/kb/PH24988?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

After this high pass filter if you wish, then add mild compression to tighten it up a bit, then some tonal eq adjustments where necessary.
So I did find the automation stuff! I was playing around with it...
Is the only way to just do it all manually with those? Or are there any pre-settings to make everything sound nice and even? Sorry if that's a lame question!

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Is the only way to just do it all manually with those? Or are there any pre-settings to make everything sound nice and even? Sorry if that's a lame question!

Doing it manually is by far the best way to deal with vocal dynamics. Your EQing, compression and other effects shouldn't be rescuing the vocals but enhancing them. Manual automation is slow but it'll provide you with a much stronger foundation to work with than any 'vocal enhancing' effects preset.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
No lame questions here... There's a Waves plugin which does it for you called vocal rider. Place it as an insert and it writes your automation levels based on the target volume you set. On sale at the moment too and you can use it in garageband:
https://www.waves.com/plugins/vocal-rider#tab-tech-specs

Otherwise it's all manual... Manual is the best way anyway as you can get it exactly how you want. Takes time but worth the effort. Though that plugin does a very good job.

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Doing it manually is by far the best way to deal with vocal dynamics. Your EQing, compression and other effects shouldn't be rescuing the vocals but enhancing them. Manual automation is slow but it'll provide you with a much stronger foundation to work with than any 'vocal enhancing' effects preset.
No lame questions here... There's a Waves plugin which does it for you called vocal rider. Place it as an insert and it writes your automation levels based on the target volume you set. On sale at the moment too and you can use it in garageband:
https://www.waves.com/plugins/vocal-rider#tab-tech-specs

Otherwise it's all manual... Manual is the best way anyway as you can get it exactly how you want. Takes time but worth the effort. Though that plugin does a very good job.
Ahh! This is very helpful! Thank you guys so much!
I've been doing YouTube for a few years now and I'd really like my vocals to sound professionally edited. But I just cant get the hang of it! I'm at 10,000 subs now so I wanna buckle down.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this thread linked in a "Post Your Music" thread over on Etcetera Forum, will definitely be hanging out here now too. I've been playing guitar for a good long time now, but got busy and didn't play as much for a few years. Getting back into it (and way into pedals) and started recording some jams. It's a fun challenge to "write"/rehearse something for an hour or so and then record a live video. Trying to do one every weekend if possible. Here's my current playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3OtIk7tU9k&list=PLAtCvsbFyJ9bQAqn6DUD8pmGR0FPWKRtJ

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Saw this thread linked in a "Post Your Music" thread over on Etcetera Forum, will definitely be hanging out here now too. I've been playing guitar for a good long time now, but got busy and didn't play as much for a few years. Getting back into it (and way into pedals) and started recording some jams. It's a fun challenge to "write"/rehearse something for an hour or so and then record a live video. Trying to do one every weekend if possible. Here's my current playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3OtIk7tU9k&list=PLAtCvsbFyJ9bQAqn6DUD8pmGR0FPWKRtJ

This is awesome! I'm getting like a Persona vibe, honestly. Keep up the great work!