• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
If I want to fool around with sampling and making some tracks, where do I start, if I have all of these programs on my computer?

Acid Music Studio
Acid Pro
Samplitude
MAGIX Music Maker
Forge110
MAGIX Sound Cleaning Lab

What do each of these things do? It's a bit overwhelming, heh.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
If I want to fool around with sampling and making some tracks, where do I start, if I have all of these programs on my computer?

Acid Music Studio
Acid Pro
Samplitude
MAGIX Music Maker
Forge110
MAGIX Sound Cleaning Lab

What do each of these things do? It's a bit overwhelming, heh.
So, I don't use those particular programs myself, but from memory, Acid is a pretty straightforward way to start messing around. I'm sure you could find some good tutorials on YT to get going. Based on a cursory Google search, Samplituted and Music Maker both seem to be standard DAW stuff. Not sure what Forge 110 is. Is it Soundforge? I just use that for conversions post-mastering if that is the case. It looks like Sound Cleaning Lab is exactly what the name implies, for cleaning up audio.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
So, I don't use those particular programs myself, but from memory, Acid is a pretty straightforward way to start messing around. I'm sure you could find some good tutorials on YT to get going. Based on a cursory Google search, Samplituted and Music Maker both seem to be standard DAW stuff. Not sure what Forge 110 is. Is it Soundforge? I just use that for conversions post-mastering if that is the case. It looks like Sound Cleaning Lab is exactly what the name implies, for cleaning up audio.

Thanks for a bit of guidance here, even terms like "DAW" are new to me!

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
ended up writing a 10 minute prog thing -

Thanks for a bit of guidance here, even terms like "DAW" are new to me!

not sure if you were asking for clarification but DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation, it's the programme you use to record, edit, mix music etc.
think of it as the Photoshop or Word of music making.

Last edited:

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Nice. What did you use for the drums? I've been shopping around to upgrade my drum stuff. The stuff I use (you can hear it on the track I posted a page or so back) is kinda old. You can totally hear the Tool influence for sure. Is that an 8-string?
thank you!
drums are the matt halpern signature pack by get good (https://www.getgooddrums.com/collections/software/products/matt-halpern-signature-pack) with the snare and kick thrown through a transience shaper for some extra pop.
yeah it's whole heartedly a 'tool riffs played by a small child' track, haha! i'm happy with it though.
and yep, 8 string tuned EADadbge. i'd love to get it down to a D but it'd be floppy as heck with the strings i have, might even be pushing it at its 27'' scale length. i'm looking to install an evertune bridge eventually as that thing flies out of tune real easily.

BaloneyFraise

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
I feel like I just got pass the stage where I find that everything I do suck so much that I can't share it without being anonymous to being confident and more like "yea it's not perfect but it's honest, enjoy".

I think I finally accepted that making music is something I really enjoy and that it's okay to take the hobby seriously, took me 8 years to realize that lol

Any similar stories?

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
I think I finally accepted that making music is something I really enjoy and that it's okay to take the hobby seriously, took me 8 years to realize that lol

Any similar stories?
Sure. I try not to think about the ridiculous amount of money I've spent over the past couple decades (and will continue to spend) that has mostly been only for my own personal enjoyment. I wouldn't mind sharing my music (and have) but it's not a driving motivator anymore.

Took me almost 18 years to get to that point, had to take an extended break prior to a couple years ago as my head wasn't in it. I have been more productive over the past year, year and a half then I've been in a long time even considering I have had less time than I did 15+ years ago. It's something I enjoy and that's good enough.

DEspite

Alt account
Banned
Jul 30, 2019
For those of you guys who've made songs with lots of tracks in a DAW, How do you guys manage them all? Like whenever I see some rando Japanese producer show off his latest electro-rock song or orchestral with over 100+ tracks im just at a loss of words

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I use a project template and put my tracks into the proper place as I'm recording/sequencing. I always label and colour code every track according to different instrument types so that I can quickly find my way around the project, and I buss/group the different elements together.

Out of a hundred tracks, usually most of them will only have something happening at a particular part of the song, so the people you've watched probably also have gained a kind of intuition about the project file through the process of building the song, and that helps to guide you around it as well.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Most of the time, if my songs go over that many tracks, it's because I'm doubling or tripling my virtual drum plugins, and doubling multiple guitar and/or synth parts. Everything grouped and subgrouped, with the drum tracks at the top, then bass, then guitar, then the random bells and whistles at the bottom. I only color code things if I'm super bored. I've been getting more fastidious about labeling tracks, especially to identify which guitar it was, or what synth app/patch I played.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
For those of you guys who've made songs with lots of tracks in a DAW, How do you guys manage them all? Like whenever I see some rando Japanese producer show off his latest electro-rock song or orchestral with over 100+ tracks im just at a loss of words
Depends on the DAW of the day I'm using. Studio One and Cubase have the advantage of grouping into folders to help with organisation where you can minimise and expand as you choose. Pro Tools I'll make sure to colour coordinate(do this anyway in all DAW's) and group channels to subgroups, auxiliary and busses then send to VCA's. I can then hide tracks with ease or use shortcuts to view the session in its entirety, zoom and get around.

Also memory locations/timestamps are really useful for getting around a songs key structural form you set yourself like... ABABCB

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Hey all! Been meaning to jump into this thread but I've been on hiatus musically for about a year and a half due to some life drama, partially involving a friend who owns most of the studio equipment I use. Now I'm really itching to get back to recording but I am trying to build up my own modest studio recording setup so I am not reliant on this person's gear.

So quick question: anyone have any solid suggestions for a recording interface, preferably with firewire, that has close to 8 ins and is around the $500 (US) price range? Been eyeing a few different things (Tascam US-16x08 was my starting point) but I'm bad about reading one picky review and getting real uncertain about the product.

Thanks!

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
TRAXUS - Martian Ayre

Hey guys, I'm rereleasing my electronic album Martian Ayre for free or name your price along with a couple bonus tracks. It's a mix of cyberpunk and video game inspired sounds made with vintage synths and outboard effects, each track recorded in one take through an analog mixer, if anyone's into that sort of thing. Originally released on limited edition cassette for the vaporwave label Beer on the Rug in 2017 but the label just mysteriously evaporated from the face of the internet so I figure it's a good time to throw it online again.

Please, nab it and enjoy! Album art is by the magical Jay Tholen: infamous artist/musician, developer of the clown-hugging adventure game Dropsy, and so much more. The art is pretty much the best part soooo yeah. If you have any questions feel free to ask me anything. Thanks for checking it out.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so after organizing about 10 concerts this year so far (with varying results from 30-ish to 90-ish people) with about 6 coming up I am still very unsure how to promote. i used smaller venues that would cost up to 300 euros to rent. the accompanist would take another 150 euros. With tickets at 10 euros I need 45 people to break even. So far that happened more often then not but it hurts when only 30-ish show up. I have been successful in selling the show to other venues (which is good because no risk) and i believe without the live material from our own rented concerts that would not have been possible.

What we are doing is putting up posters in town (gets hard when you are far away also posters might get ripped away), facebook (dunno how many of the interested people show up), posting on our website and contacting radio and newspaper (seems to be effective and its free). we also started collecting emails for newsletters but i did not send one out so far.

Any advice from you guys how to promote better?

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
So after wanting to learn Sax or some sort of wind instrument my entire life (guitarist/drummer here), I finally got something to learn on. I got an AKAI EWI USB:

750-EWIusb_detail2.jpg

I am having a blast trying to learn, although the resources on it are very scarce. The best way ive been learning is by watching random youtube videos and trying to imitate them. However, ive now run into this issue where my EWI is like out of tune or something. A video I once followed along with no longer matches my notes. I have no idea what I did, but im troubleshooting now.

Anyone else here have EWI experience? Id love to discuss it!!

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
any horror stories from folks who've upgraded to Catalina here?

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Just boppin in to say hello. Been awhile since I've worked on any music things. Starting to become afraid I'll forget how to do it :X

I have been watching a ton of vocal type videos though, so not all is lost. But it's the production side that's a lot harder to fake :P

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
May have asked this once before, but do y'all know a good place to find midi files of songs? I'm looking for Taylor Swift's "I Know Places." I want to do a cover of it.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
KV331 Audio is giving away SynthMaster Player for free from now until October 31.

Compared to their other instruments, SynthMaster Player focuses on those who'd rather use presets instead of designing their own sounds. If you're someone that regularly makes their own ensembles in Reaktor and disdains presets, this might not be for you. While there are some parameters you can edit, nothing is exposed as it would be in a typical synthesizer.

This is the regular $29 version of SynthMaster Player that comes with 1800 factory presets instead of the 550 of the "SynthMaster Player FREE" version. This also gives you the option to upgrade to SynthMaster and/or SynthMaster One at a discount if you want to. I feel that many of the included sounds (that I've tried so far) are good and usable, but YMMV of course.

Having done audio on PC for years, I appreciate when companies give away useful plugins, like the instruments in Spitfire Audio's LABS program. Sometimes, loading up a random preset--typically an arpeggio or sequence for me--can inspire some music making, or just ends up being fun to play around with. Hope some of you find this useful.

Going to crosspost this to the hobby and indie game dev thread as it could be of use to folks there.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of programmers around these parts. Just want to throw out a recommendation on the new Floating Points record. It's called Crush and it sounds like a really good Aphex Twin record if Richard D had an interesting understudy who might have some (recently) lively ideas.

It's really, really good.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
just found this thread so I figured I'd post my band Chat Pile, since we just put out a new EP a couple weeks ago.

check it if you are fans of stuff like the jesus lizard, godflesh, daughters, today is the day, cherubs, other noisey atonal weirdness.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
haven't really looked into xotic before. do they do any high gain distortions? mainly only use high gain because our shit is so low tuned and noisey.
They have the SL Drive I think that's high gain.

If not Electro Harmonix is another company to look into... Big Muff Pi or Metal Muff.

Or Dunlop MXR.

I mean I use a high gain amp and preamp boost so setup was different for me but a eq can do a lot, I recommend the one I have on my pedal board. MXR 10-band.
614789_10151069878134511_1199725536_o.jpg

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Hey ! So, anyone here have some experience with services like DistroKid or Emubands ? Trying to get some feedback on these kind of services...

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Heya :)
Anyone here happen to have any advice or resources for a professional singer who wants to starts accompanying themselves on guitar, with little to no guitar experience? Anything is a great help!!

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Heya :)
Anyone here happen to have any advice or resources for a professional singer who wants to starts accompanying themselves on guitar, with little to no guitar experience? Anything is a great help!!
Start with 3 chord songs. Nothing complex. Simple versions of Beatles tunes are always good. If you start going in with complex finger picking stuff rather than strumming you'll get lost and lose timing pretty fast.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I used to make music using FL Studio. I had a lot of fun doing it but looking back on most of my songs... I feel embarrassed listening to them. Most of them are just not very good. There are a small handful of songs that I think turned out really well though. It might sound a little weird but there are a few songs that I made where I can almost listen to them as if someone else had created them.

This one in particular is one that I'm proud of. I know that my music will probably never be heard by very many people but it's kind of a cool feeling just having created something. Just to have some expression of myself out there in the universe even when I'm nothing but space dust.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
I used to make music using FL Studio. I had a lot of fun doing it but looking back on most of my songs... I feel embarrassed listening to them. Most of them are just not very good. There are a small handful of songs that I think turned out really well though. It might sound a little weird but there are a few songs that I made where I can almost listen to them as if someone else had created them.

This one in particular is one that I'm proud of. I know that my music will probably never be heard by very many people but it's kind of a cool feeling just having created something. Just to have some expression of myself out there in the universe even when I'm nothing but space dust.

That's really cool! I like the sound selection, it does have a cyberpunk-ish vibes. For my constructive criticism, I think the mixing needs improvement. It sounded muddy when the bass kicked in, maybe cut off the highs from the bass a bit or do a side chain. I feel like the pad needs to be lowered a bit so it won't be over powering. A great mix/EQ can make even a simple track sound amazing. Still, great job! Keep it up!

Also, don't feel embarrassed, there are times that you won't like it personally but some definitely will. It's like Johnny Depp, he doesn't want to watch his own movies but he's an amazing actor.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Hot damn just listened to one mix I made that I thought was final on my workplace PC, sounds so different than at home. This thing is really the worst, trying to make it sound great everywhere is really a hassle. I thought that doing it on my Mac using different audio outputs was enough to try different configurations, but no. I guess Macbooks have their own DAC, which doesn't help at all...

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Hot damn just listened to one mix I made that I thought was final on my workplace PC, sounds so different than at home. This thing is really the worst, trying to make it sound great everywhere is really a hassle. I thought that doing it on my Mac using different audio outputs was enough to try different configurations, but no. I guess Macbooks have their own DAC, which doesn't help at all...
I've found that this gets easier with time as you get more familiar with your primary speaker setup and how it affects sound. You can account for your particular hardware by doing references to tracks that you know have a good mix.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
I've found that this gets easier with time as you get more familiar with your primary speaker setup and how it affects sound. You can account for your particular hardware by doing references to tracks that you know have a good mix.
Yeah, at least I know what areas are lacking. Hope it won't ruin the balance on some other sound configurations. Here I go spending some more hours on this haha

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
That's really cool! I like the sound selection, it does have a cyberpunk-ish vibes. For my constructive criticism, I think the mixing needs improvement. It sounded muddy when the bass kicked in, maybe cut off the highs from the bass a bit or do a side chain. I feel like the pad needs to be lowered a bit so it won't be over powering. A great mix/EQ can make even a simple track sound amazing. Still, great job! Keep it up!

Also, don't feel embarrassed, there are times that you won't like it personally but some definitely will. It's like Johnny Depp, he doesn't want to watch his own movies but he's an amazing actor.
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't made music in a while but I do want to get back to it at some point.

hello i am budget trent reznor

lol, this is sick.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017

This is another one of the half a dozen songs I made that I don't hate. I'd really love to record this song using real instruments, better synths, and a real choir one day. Let me dreeeeam!

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is another one of the half a dozen songs I made that I don't hate. I'd really love to record this song using real instruments, better synths, and a real choir one day. Let me dreeeeam!

i really like this and the other one you posted. if you're looking to get 'better' sounds in terms of more realistic ones, check out Kontakt. the player is free and you can find a bunch of excellent libraries for free, and a bunch more if you're willing to be resourceful

hello i am budget trent reznor

lol this is shockingly on point. run it through paulstretch at 1.75 speed and we've got the next prestige documentary soundtrack, well done

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thank you so much haha! i'm definitely going to look in to paulstretch too, seems like it might come in very handy on the odd occasion!
it's one of the most key pieces in the TR/AR soundtrack arsenal since Dragon Tattoo along with the Mellotron swarm sounds. you've got the composition down pretty well, figure out the finer points around the aesthetics and you've got a new halo ;)

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
it's one of the most key pieces in the TR/AR soundtrack arsenal since Dragon Tattoo along with the Mellotron swarm sounds. you've got the composition down pretty well, figure out the finer points around the aesthetics and you've got a new halo ;)
huh, super interesting. i'll definitely look to add them to my arsenal and try to complete my journey to becoming the world's cheapest trent/atticus knockoff!