• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to find some lesser-know must play DS games. I'm mainly trying to find a great action title, but anything from RPGs, Dating Sims, to be Diner Dash clones are also up for topic.

Let's celebrate one of Nintendo's best consoles and the games for it, DSers.

DSers stand for "Double Screeners" not "Dick Suckers". Unless you want it to.

Deleted member 1484

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hotel Dusk + The Last Window

tumblr_n4thrhGAiQ1twupqgo1_400.gif

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No particular order, just off the top of my head
  • Ace Attorney
  • TWEWY
  • Ghost Trick
  • Hotel Dusk
  • EBA/Ouendan
  • HeartGold/SoulSilver
  • Radiant Historia
  • Strange Journey
  • Trauma Center
  • Animal Crossing
  • Professor Layton
  • Advance Wars
  • Dragon Quest IX

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Contra 4 is responsible for putting enough hair on my chest that I can pass for Blanka during Halloween.

badmoviefan

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Definitely those 3 XSEED games, and if anyone is an Animal Crossing fan waiting on the Switch release:

s-l225.jpg

magicians-quest-mysterious-times-20090519025422616.jpg

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Rocket slime if you want action games. Think kids version of Zelda in a dragon quest setting but with giant tank battles as well.

Lunar knights, which is a quasi-Boktai sequel without the sunlight mechanic.

Might and magic: clash of heroes is a nice "puzzle" rpg where you essentially match 3 your units.

Aliens: Infestation. Metroidvania style game made by Way forward.

Dark void zero of you have a 3ds (dsiware game).

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
All my other suggestions were named already so I will just suggest Trace Memory.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Congrats, it's one of the greatest consoles to ever grace the earth. I've highlighted the action titles:

-The World Ends with You

-Elite Beat Agents
-Hotel Dusk
-Tetris DS
-Sonic Rush Adventure
-Wario Ware Touched
-Trauma Center 2
-Castlevania (Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia or Dawn of Sorrow are all excellent)
-Kirby: Canvas Curse
-Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

-Meteos
-Planet Puzzle League
-Rhythm Heaven
-Contra 4
-Geometry Wars: Galaxies
-Bangai O Spirits
-Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2
-Custom Robo: Arena
-Jump Ultimate Starts

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you me? I was thinking of making this very same thread.

I own like 40 DS games, but I've always felt like I'm missing some overlooked gems.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
If you're looking for action, Contra 4, Mega Man Zero Collection, Mega Man ZX and MMZX Advent, and the 3 Castlevania games are all good. Also, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, a touchscreen controlled action game in the style of the 3D Ninja Gaiden games. It might sound terrible, but it works.

You can still get Shantae Risky's Revenge on the 3DS eShop too.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

The best game on the system right here. There's a Switch port coming this year, but it is looking to be more of a middle ground between the inferior Solo Remix version and the superior DS version. You should really experience this one on the DS. The combat is easily my favorite in any RPG, and makes use of every single feature the DS has without feeling gimmicky. You might not believe me if I told you just using the touch screen for the combat just feels right. There's even attacks that involve the microphone, and even those have their uses, such as against a boss that disappears every time you directly touch him with the stylus.

The dual screens do many cool thing in this game, particularly with bosses, and just can't really be captured in the mobile version.

However I did say earlier that the Switch version might capture some of the what made the original cool. Some parts of the trailer show that the original controls are in the game, but adapted to one screen. It's a nice middle ground, but mainly we get to see the new content on the Switch version.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Accidentally double posted.

Although not a hidden gem. Kirby mass attack is a great late DS release that skews to the unconventional, imaginative Kirby side of games.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Final Fantasy Tactics A2

The story is worse than the other two but the gameplay is stuck in this one

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DS doesn't have a lot of great action games, but it has the GOAT visual novel selection

6 Ace Attorney games
Ghost Trick
Hotel Dusk
Rhythm Heaven (secret GOAT)
Any of the DS Castlevanias
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Mario Kart DS
Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story
Chrono Trigger
The World Ends with You

DS is weird because a lot of reliably good Nintendo franchises took a hit (Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem) but they really upped their game on weird new series and 3rd party support. It feels so good in your hands too.

Oh also, I don't know if it's because it was a "you had to be there" kind of game or what but I got Elite Beat Agents a few years ago and I hated it and regretted the $10 or whatever I spent so I don't recommend that one.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shining Force Feather

Did you know the Summon Night devs made a Shining Force game? And it's an actual strategy game? And it plays like Project X zone but good? And the plot is basically fantasy Outlaw Star?

It's only in Japanese but it's very very easy to play with a guide.

Final Fantasy: The 4 heroes of light is basically the predecessor to Bravely Default and is another excellent one.

Last edited:

sirleiland

Jan 30, 2018
These aren't necessarily great games, but they're fun, and they're probably less well-known than the games you tend to find on "DS Hidden Gems" lists (games like Ghost Trick, EBA, etc., which, yeah, are "better," but are less hidden now).
  • Air Traffic Chaos (air traffic controller sim)
  • Batman: The Brave and the Bold (action platformer, better than Wii version)
  • Beat City (rhythm game)
  • Fast Food Panic (restaurant sim, sort of like Diner Dash)
  • Gunpey (puzzle game)
  • Ontamarama (rhythm game)
  • Pac n Roll (like Monkey Ball)
  • Puchi Puchi Virus (puzzle game)
  • Robocalypse (RTS)
  • Thor: God of Thunder (beat em up, best version of the game)
  • Tokyo Beat Down (beat em up)

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Osu! Ouedan!
EBA
Trauma cente: under the knife (1 and 2)
Megaman Z collection
Pokemon Heart gold or soul Silver
Final Fantasy: Crystal Cronicles: rings of fate

Metroid Prime hunters

lemming

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to Hotel Dusk OST again :D . Sorta sad that I never got around to playing Last window.

For lesser know action games, I guess I'd recomend Henry Hatsworth. It's a mix between platformer / match-3.
Second all those recommendations of VN: 999 + Ace Attorney + Hotel Dusk

capybara-dive

Nov 1, 2017
I know it's been said a few times already but you have to play Elite Beat Agents, it's the best rhythm game of all time in my opinion, and has endless replay value (if you can get past the shitty cover songs)

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EuropeanBoxArtwork.jpg

Zelda Spirit Tracks, huge step up over Phantom of Hourglass. Also features one of the best zelda reincarnations.

Also this:
latest

Best Castlevania game ever imo.
Portrait of Ruin + Dawn of Sorrow are also pretty gud.

Also Dragon Quest 9 is awesome as heck, sadly the free downloadable dlc is unavailable unless you have gameshark like cheat stuff or emulate the game (legally i mean ofc) and get it that way.

Since that free dlc was quite good.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Ace Attorney getting a million games while Ghost Trick was a one and done game is an injustice in gaming topped only by the Vita flopping.
I want a new Ghost Trick so bad :( Ace Attorney games are great, but Ghost Trick, man, that game was something else.

Easily the best game on the DS by far. And anyone who likes AA is doing a disservice to themselves by not playing it.