• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
myzotdmk1r.jpg

Developer: The Bearded Ladies
Console Ports: High Voltage Software
Publisher: Funcom
Platforms: Nintendo Switch [new!], PC, Playstation 4, and Xbox One
Release Date (Switch, Seed of Evil, and DX Edition Retail): July 30, 2019 | PS4 digital: August 6, 2019 | Japan: November 21, 2019
Original Release Date: December 4th, 2018
Genre: Tactical Adventure aka XCOM But You Travel Through a World w/ Proper Characters
Player(s): 1

Base Game Price: US$34.99 | €34.99 | £28.99 (Not available on Nintendo Switch)
Expansion DLC Price: US$14.99 | €14.99 | £12.99 (Not available on Nintendo Switch)
Deluxe Edition Price: US$44.99 | CA$55.99 | €44.99 | £39.99 | AU$69.99 | NZ$73.99 | ¥ xxxx

Format: Digital & Retail (Retail "Deluxe Edition" includes Seed of Evil Expansion)
Platform Stores: Nintendo Switch: EU | US | CA | AU | NZ | JP ## Xbox One ## PS4: NA | EU ## Steam
Download File Size on Switch: 5814.35 MB + Day-1 update (~2GB) = ~7.8GB total.
Video Capture Support on Switch: Yes
Links: Official Site | Seed of Evil & Port Review Thread | Original OT by Dancrane212

myzfaqkykad.jpg

What is Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden?
Based on the Mutant Year Zero pen-and-paper RPG, the game is a tactical adventure game set in a post-apocalyptic Sweden. As a group of mutant "Stalkers" you are tasked with finding supplies for the last vestige of humanity by exploring the Zone.

How does combat work?
Gameplay in the zone is a mix of real time stealth and turn based tactical combat. As you explore "The Zone" you will have opportunities to avoid enemies with stealth (with their vision displayed on screen). From here you can take out opponents before they can alert their allies or setup strong positioning for combat. Once you initiate combat the game will transition into a turn based affair à la the XCOM series.

Tactical-Combat.gif

Do I get to create my own characters?
No. The game features 5 playable characters who are preset from the start.

Character progression?
You are able to enhance both your weapons and characters by spending scrap and gaining experience points respectively. By leveling characters you are able to unlock equipable mutations that will open up new combat and support abilities (allow a character to fly, or to trap enemies in place).

Is there permadeath?
There is an optional permadeath mode you can enable.

What is a "tactical adventure?"
They've dubbed this a tactival "adventure" since you are not selecting procedurally generated/somewhat random missions from a menu but instead are picking areas on a world map of the gameworld to go to and then traverse these levels like you would in an RPG or any other kind of traditional "adventure" where you go from A to B while progressing a story. This ties directly into the predetermined, fixed characters with a narrative arc. It's what makes this tactics/stealth game quite unique.

Explore-a-Post-Human-World.gif

Game Pass?
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is on Game Pass for Xbox One and PC. The expansion is not.

Xbox One X and PS4 Pro Enhancements?
PS4 Pro: Atmospheric fog, Point light cube map shadows, a higher material quality, UI resolution is 4k, the frame resolution is 80% of 4k
Xbox One X
: Resolution is 3200*1800 (further details unknown)

New Game +?
No.

In order to play the Seed of Evil expansion, do I need to have a finished save file from the main campaign?
No, you can play with preset characters right from the main menu. The story picks up after the campaign, though. Quote from the devs behind the link.

Who made this?
Developer The Bearded Ladies is in part made up of former HITMAN leads and one of the designers of PAYDAY.

Any tips for fresh faced beginners?
How about this:

How does the Switch version hold up?
All of the reviews were written up based on the pre-patch version. Please be aware of that. The Switch port comes with severe visual downgrades, though the game still remains playable.

30 minutes of post-patch footage on Switch:

Day-1 Patch (v2.0.22675) Graphics Comparison:

mynseed3bkdx.jpg

Seed of Evil continues the gameplay style from Road to Eden, with tactical turn-based combat combined with real-time exploration and stealth, but expands the options you have when choosing your team and their skills.

4.-New-Content.gif

1. New area, new enemies, new weapons & gear: Seed of Evil takes place in an entirely new area of the Zone. Explore new maps and defeat the new plant based Pod Ghouls, who will attack you with mutations of their own. As you explore you'll also find new weapons and armor, which will be of great help to you.
  2. A new Stalker: Big Khan the moose is a legendary Stalker who left the Ark years ago for unknown reasons. He teams up with Bormin, Dux, and the rest of the team to fight the new threat and keep the Ark safe. Khan's size and strength make him an excellent fighter, capable of landing highly damaging critical hits against enemies.
  3. New mutations: We're introducing a brand new mechanic in Seed of Evil that lets you upgrade certain existing mutations. Bormin's Hug Rosh can become a mighty Bear Smash, with increased power, while Selma's Tree Hugger can become a Tree Caster ability, which can temporarily turn enemies into cover for you to hide behind.
  4. Retake lost territory: Zone Ghouls, bots and other horrors are encroaching on places you've already cleared out in Road to Eden. This time around they're stronger than ever and your Stalkers are tasked by the Ark with clearing them out.
2.-Big-Khan.gif

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The original was one of the best games of 2018 so I'm excited to go back to it with the expansion. Some of the new abilities look like they'll mix things up in a fun way.

Also, no idea of the validity behind it, but the saved search I used to look for reviews for the game pulled up this tweet in regards to the Switch release:

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The original was one of the best games of 2018 so I'm excited to go back to it with the expansion. Some of the new abilities look like they'll mix things up in a fun way.

Also, no idea of the validity behind it, but the saved search I used to look for reviews for the game pulled up this tweet in regards to the Switch release:

Huh oO
Weird that this isn't live yet on launch day then ... :/

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting. There's an update downloading now. Will report back.

Nov 8, 2017
I am so, totally into this.

Just got a gaming laptop, kind of want to play it there...

But the Switch is my baby and will get it there.

(Great first post, OP)

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool!
After it's done, could you check your system storage screen to see how big it is? Also the version number? My copy is still in the mail. Thanks in advance!
Will do.
Edit:
7.9gb
v2.0.22675

Very brief initial impressions. I don't see a difference right off the bat. I did get a few popups when launching, talking about the Stalker Trials and DLC missions.

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Total size. Is it possible to see the size of the update? I've no idea what it was before.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Post update, handheld. Not the most riveting gameplay sample, but you get the idea. Looks very framey in this video, but it was smooth when playing.

Edit: Ugh. Twitter compression. Makes the video basically useless.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Post update, handheld. Not the most riveting gameplay sample, but you get the idea. Looks very framey in this video, but it was smooth when playing.

Edit: Ugh. Twitter compression. Makes the video basically useless.

frames actually look fine in the video. feel free to share more playthrough vids as you go along. :)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I liked the little of this I played but hated the healing system. Is there anyway of having something in between normal and easy healing systems?

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Did this add any new achievements? Played on Xbox and had a blast, so interested in jumping back in.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Holy crap. What possessed the devs to send out such a rough version to reviewers. I don't blame them for pissing on the visuals when it looked that bad.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been eyeballing this game for awhile, held off on PS4 version to play on handheld. I was not prepared for how muddy the graphics are on switch... is it any better docked?

miserable

Oct 27, 2017

Will update. The FAQ was based on the old OT from PC launch and I don't have game pass myself.

so how do I access Seed of Evil exactly? I bought it from the Microsoft store, installed it and updated the game but it still tells me to buy it in the main menu.

I also loaded up my last save (which was in the last room of the game, right before the ending) , watched the ending then got booted back in the main menu.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
so how do I access Seed of Evil exactly? I bought it from the Microsoft store, installed it and updated the game but it still tells me to buy it in the main menu.

I also loaded up my last save (which was in the last room of the game, right before the ending) , watched the ending then got booted back in the main menu.
do you have twitter? let them know.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

The issue is supposed to be fixed as of a couple hours ago. Maybe give it another try?

Also:

Shame things won't be tweaked further but at least the game is in a much better spot on that platform.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Oh, haha. I completely glazed over the "Show Media" prompt.

But yeah, handheld play is the big sell for the Switch version. Would have loved to see it get more work.
Apparently, our good buddies at Hight Voltage Software developed the Switch port. Which ...pretty much explains this and sort of makes it almost impressive that it didn't stay the way it was pre-patch. If anyone can confirm/cross-check with the credits, that'd be swell.

edit: oh they did all the console ports!

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
The issue is supposed to be fixed as of a couple hours ago. Maybe give it another try?

I tried several times and it doesn't show, not even in the Manage my game and add-ons menu. I reinstalled the game 2 times already.

I sent a message to them on twitter, let's see if they respond because I looked at their official forums and there are several threads with this issue (to which they didn't respond there)

beni12

Oct 25, 2017

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I've played the base version on gamepass. Can I buy the expansion and play it, or do I need to buy the base game too?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed you could just buy the DLC in this case, but I've never tried it.

Please report back if you get a definitive answer, as at some point I'd like to do it with Forza Horizon 4.

Nov 6, 2017

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017

Where you able to get it to work? I also bought the dlc and just tried to play it, but it's telling me to buy it on the title screen and like you after I watch the ending again it kicks me to the main menu.