• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So no proper changes and improvements with this new patch? I get annoyed when I use mind control on someone and the game forgets about that after reloading the save. :/

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
So no proper changes and improvements with this new patch? I get annoyed when I use mind control on someone and the game forgets about that after reloading the save. :/

They're doing another patch on Wednesday. It's not unreasonable that they prioritize customers who can't play the game at all.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
How's this game on Xbox one S? I have it on game pass but if it's too messy on the S I'll just get it on PC. Obviously would rather not pay if the One S version is okay though.

Cohesivestraw

Oct 29, 2017
Normal is the lowest difficulty. I've finished it on Hard and it was hard indeed especially early on without the better skills and weapons.
Yes, and quite difficult. It fucks you up if you mess up, and stealth beforehand picking off enemies is a must imo.
I want to try this game but I'm worried. I don't want a hard time consuming experience. I never was into Xcom but I did enjoy Mario Rabbids alot. Is this game hard on the easy setting?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I want to try this game but I'm worried. I don't want a hard time consuming experience. I never was into Xcom but I did enjoy Mario Rabbids alot. Is this game hard on the easy setting?
Nah, you're encouraged to use stealth to pick people off, but as long as you have medkits etc when you're in combat you'll be alright

SickBoy

Oct 25, 2017
How's this game on Xbox one S? I have it on game pass but if it's too messy on the S I'll just get it on PC. Obviously would rather not pay if the One S version is okay though.

It's fine. It's not a great port, but it performs decently and looks quite nice... albeit with some crashes during fast travel (the autosave is very good, though -- I never lost anything) and some audio glitches, which were annoying but only got really bad for me right at the end of the game. (I turned ambient sound all the way down to minimize them).

As long as you're not super offended by a frame rate that isn't always stuck at 60/30, it should be fine. It hitches occasionally, but that's about the worst of it IMO.

Please fix the Xbox One X crash bug. Game crashes most of the time when I fast travel.

Yeah, I think this is an Xbox One original/S/X bug from the sounds of things.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Gave this a shot on Gamepass even though I've never been into strategy games. I'm really poor at it, but I adore the characters and overall aesthetic so much I'm going to try to stick with it. Seems like a really well made game.

EDIT: Just saw the posts about crashes on One X. That's unfortunate.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I'm so ducking bad at this particular game but I love the world. I'm at the place where the first medbot is and with all the dudes, the dogs, and the medbot I'm just not beating it. Feels like a wall I can't surmount. I've tried every angle.

This is where you first meet Selma righ...? just avoid these guys for now,sneak past them and go west instead of East towards Fallen Angels...the next area(cave or tunnel) has a much easier fight and lots of scraps and weapon parts...after that keep going west,just to activate the travel.this section is where I am stuck now,so what I did,I know its boring,but I want back to all the places just to see if I missed anything(just be careful for those level 55 lol),and I had,got some more scraps and all,enough for 2 medkits and a few dogs I missed,that levelled me up...saved at the Ark,then went back where the first gang with a medbot was and it was a lot easier.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
It looks like somebody did just that. Unfortunately, the answer is nothing we haven't heard already.

untitled8ce5a.png
That's still so freaking weird that it doesn't have at least the same visual improvements that the "worse" Pro has.
Specially since Phil is pumping money into the the GamePass release.
Can't think of any other game since X existence who does this.

But, play this game people, it's freaking phenomenal, feels so amazing.
I will, as soon as get graphic parity on the Xbox One X (or better). As I mentioned in the Xbox One X Enhancements thread, it makes zero sense (from an outsider's view) of why the X only gets 9,216 pixels over the Pro and none of the Pro's additional graphical effects.

"No news" as an answer doesn't incite much confidence; it's such a blandly sterile response.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This is where you first meet Selma righ...? just avoid these guys for now,sneak past them and go west instead of East towards Fallen Angels...the next area(cave or tunnel) has a much easier fight and lots of scraps and weapon parts...after that keep going west,just to activate the travel.this section is where I am stuck now,so what I did,I know its boring,but I want back to all the places just to see if I missed anything(just be careful for those level 55 lol),and I had,got some more scraps and all,enough for 2 medkits and a few dogs I missed,that levelled me up...saved at the Ark,then went back where the first gang with a medbot was and it was a lot easier.
Okay thanks. Gonna do this, but man, it shouldn't be a thing. I'm the same level as these guys. The advantage had by stealthing a few out first should be enough for the win.

Also, does anyone else not think it's kinda bs that it doesn't matter if you are sneaking behind a guy, as soon as you enter their awareness circle, it's time to fight? I wish I could strategically plant myself behind roamers to get as good a shot as possible to start it all off. It wouldn't be broken. Since you can't position more than one person that way as they move around too much. I dunno, feels like more could have been done.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm frustrated with this game because it's almost great, IMO. The combat is fun, the UI is incredibly helpful in planning movement (X-COM could learn some things from this game), most skills can be VERY useful, the world is interesting, and the focus on ambush and thinning the enemy herd are good, but it's got issues.

Here's my personal peeves:
  • The random sight range "are you going to be detected or not" when stealthed makes planning annoying. I'd much prefer clear-cut yes/no on detection because it makes setup more work than it should be - i.e. can I get to cover and hit Y before the somehow now-expanding detection ring arbitrarily sees me? That's not a fun game to play when you're really just relying on UI manipulation times to go your way in order to set up an attack.
  • The ability for enemies to detect a stealthed character through a solid cover wall with no sight to them is kinda dumb. Do I smell really bad? Am I a heavy breather or something? Do all the enemies have infra-red vision? Why is this even happening? If this was fictionalized in character traits or by specific enemy type (e.g. hunters can see through walls to half their sight range), I'd buy into it more.
  • The "oops you got seen one second too early, half the team dies first turn" factor (happens more often than you think) means I'm constantly saving and reloading. I've almost never had an accidental encounter go my way (I'm ~L30 at the moment, playing on hard) when I don't initiate them... once I think I pulled it off with no one dying and no burning of all medkits. This is absolutely amplified by the difficulty setting.
  • I'm surprised you don't full heal when returning to the Ark. That feels like an oversight even on above normal difficulty. I can't even pay for that outside of burning medkits. My playthrough has been with most of my team at half-health in every encounter / map.
  • The frequent crashes on the X - fast travelling, while the ark leader drones on, in the middle of a turn, etc. This gets old, especially as the intro logos are unskippable, long, and there's 4-5 of them you have to sit through every time. There's also times where the game has completely hitched up / froze for a good 20 seconds before snapping out and continuing.
  • Once you get the ability to mind-control enemies you can see that their weapons can't possibly do the damage they're doing to you with them when you're hit. I realize this is the difficulty modifier at work, but it's disappointing to see they didn't give the enemies better weapons rather than just artificially inflate their damage numbers. This points to a game that was really balanced around normal difficulty only.
  • Minor: Enemies don't have a bleedout rule like you do. A medic can revive any enemy no matter how long they've been dead. I get that it's robot magic, but I personally like the rules level in TBS games.
  • Minor: All the cool movement powers you get for some of your characters can't be used out of combat, which would make setup a lot more fun if they could.
  • Minor: It would be nice if weapons showed / displayed sound radius, such that you could get a feel for using noisy vs. quiet weapons when setting up ambush distances.
Despite all of this, I still really like the game a lot and recommend it to any X-COM / TBS fan, especially those that like more merciless game play. I'd suggest that normal difficulty is the more spontaneous (you can mess up your setups and still pull out a clean win) and less frustrating way to experience it for most players.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I love the atmosphere of this game, it's really well done. The mix of free movement and turn based combat is actually really cool and let's you set up before combat without having to try and sneak around on a grid.

I'm playing it on the lowest difficulty and it still seems punishing, like if I make a mistake and alert an enemy too early I'm basically screwed. The encounters so far have been short enough that this didn't really bother me though.

They've got a great system, hopefully they use it to build on for a sequel or add more content.

Is there much replayability to it? I might double dip on switch and try it on hard or something.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
finished yesterday, what a great little game with a fantastic combat ui (i'm a noob of the genre but i have seen videos from xcom2 and in this game is far better and clear)

normal is very easy as soon as you understand the mechanics and explore a little.

the plot is surprisingly gripping too.

also i really like the ragdoll and hit reaction when you kill an enemy, is a small detail but i like it.

(sorry for my english)

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I screwed myself on my first very hard run so I restarted this morning. I'm already almost back to where I was before. I'm about to buy a second crossbow so two characters will each have one. I have full health and six medkits. I killed a tank!

I made the mistake of charging a tank with Bormin's charge ability... he bounced right off.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Really getting in a groove now. I love this world they created. I want spin-offs into other genres already.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
im like 16 hours in, almost on
Eden
, my guys are like level 65 so I assume im almost done. Some tips for those starting out,Im playing on hard (after flip flopping between hard and normal for like 4 hours at the start):

- use and abuse the stealth / ambush system. Isolate patrols, kill them fast, so its one less enemy during fights.
- related, try to upgrade your silenced weapons first over your normal weapons. That extra 1 dmg might be the difference between killing a enemy from stealth. Also, obviously you want a silenced weapon on all your 3 guys.
- get the grenade damage upgrade (from the artifact guy) ASAP, its a huge difference. In fact, thats what the default damage of grenades should be really, but that's another can of worms.
- Dont bother buying weapons or armor with scrap, you end up finding the same / better stuff in missions. Its much better to just fully explore every zone. You will need that scrap to buy grenades and medkits, grenades are really good (once upgraded) because they by-pass armor.
- Dont be afraid to do "loot runs". Go to a zone, and just loot all you can without fighting if you are too low level. Maybe with that upgrade to a weapon you can now do after the loot run you can tackle that fight that was giving you trouble.
- The corpse eating ability is completely OP and you should use it, it heals you fully in combat AND you can still shoot after. Hell, I use the
fox lady
just so I have 2 characters with that ability.

edit: oh here's a big one in my opinion and one of the most lacking quality of life features unfortunately.

- write down which zones you have fully cleared (of loot or enemies) so you dont go back to them unnecessarely because you cant remember if there was still some item or some battle there (since nothing respawns and you want to maximize your xp and loot gains, especially on hard)

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
im like 16 hours in, almost on
Eden
, my guys are like level 65 so I assume im almost done. Some tips for those starting out,Im playing on hard (after flip flopping between hard and normal for like 4 hours at the start):

- use and abuse the stealth / ambush system. Isolate patrols, kill them fast, so its one less enemy during fights.
- related, try to upgrade your silenced weapons first over your normal weapons. That extra 1 dmg might be the difference between killing a enemy from stealth. Also, obviously you want a silenced weapon on all your 3 guys.
- get the grenade damage upgrade (from the artifact guy) ASAP, its a huge difference. In fact, thats what the default damage of grenades should be really, but that's another can of worms.
- Dont bother buying weapons or armor with scrap, you end up finding the same / better stuff in missions. Its much better to just fully explore every zone. You will need that scrap to buy grenades and medkits, grenades are really good (once upgraded) because they by-pass armor.
- Dont be afraid to do "loot runs". Go to a zone, and just loot all you can without fighting if you are too low level. Maybe with that upgrade to a weapon you can now do after the loot run you can tackle that fight that was giving you trouble.
- The corpse eating ability is completely OP and you should use it, it heals you fully in combat AND you can still shoot after. Hell, I use the
fox lady
just so I have 2 characters with that ability.

edit: oh here's a big one in my opinion and one of the most lacking quality of life features unfortunately.

- write down which zones you have fully cleared (of loot or enemies) so you dont go back to them unnecessarely because you cant remember if there was still some item or some battle there (since nothing respawns and you want to maximize your xp and loot gains, especially on hard)
Nice, thanks for the tips.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between the constant crashes on X and poor balancing this game is really grating on me. I finally gave in and switched to normal difficulty and from what I can tell it does nothing at all. All my weapons do the same damage, enemies have the same HP and do the same damage to me and the few pieces of loot I've found around seems to give the same amount as they did on Hard. I'm level 32 and stealth is more or less pointless now because my stealth weapons do 5-7 damage each (not counting crits) and the weaker enemies seem to be averaging around 24 HP. I think even if they were all rank 3 instead of 2 it still wouldn't be enough unless I could crit each time. Abilities like hog rush are huge helps but of course you have to recharge it after each use.

I feel like a good number of these issues could be solved if they let you use 4 party members instead of 3. I felt like that was too few when I first saw the limit but hours later as things are getting brutally difficult it's becoming more apparent to me. The game feels like it was balanced with 4 party members but for some reason they decided to limit you at 3.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Between the constant crashes on X and poor balancing this game is really grating on me. I finally gave in and switched to normal difficulty and from what I can tell it does nothing at all. All my weapons do the same damage, enemies have the same HP and do the same damage to me and the few pieces of loot I've found around seems to give the same amount as they did on Hard. I'm level 32 and stealth is more or less pointless now because my stealth weapons do 5-7 damage each (not counting crits) and the weaker enemies seem to be averaging around 24 HP. I think even if they were all rank 3 instead of 2 it still wouldn't be enough unless I could crit each time. Abilities like hog rush are huge helps but of course you have to recharge it after each use.

I feel like a good number of these issues could be solved if they let you use 4 party members instead of 3. I felt like that was too few when I first saw the limit but hours later as things are getting brutally difficult it's becoming more apparent to me. The game feels like it was balanced with 4 party members but for some reason they decided to limit you at 3.

I've been waiting on a patch so I haven't played much. I heard the only difference between normal and hard is that they refill your health for free between fights.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I've been waiting on a patch so I haven't played much. I heard the only difference between normal and hard is that they refill your health for free between fights.

no, enemies hit harder and have more health.

No lower difficulty mode under Normal?

no but compared to other / most X-Com style games, "normal" is actually easy, and "hard" is really normal (hence why it's the default) to be honest.

Deleted member 10601

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no, enemies hit harder and have more health.

no but compared to other / most X-Com style games, "normal" is actually easy, and "hard" is really normal (hence why it's the default) to be honest.

I never played a X-Com style game. This game looks interesting enough for me to try it. Reading the comments here the game is not suited for newbies to the genre. :(

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never played a X-Com style game. This game looks interesting enough for me to try it. Reading the comments here the game is not suited for newbies to the genre. :(
It can be rough as there's no proper tutorial (only a few static screens with basic hints). Knowing XCOM really really helps here.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 patch out to address crashing. Xbox update is incoming.

We have a new patch out for the PS4 version of Mutant Year Zero. This will fix crashes that were happening when attempting to fast travel in the game. We're working on getting this patch out for the Xbox One version as well.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Boy, that was a lame-ass ending. Got some questions.

Big surprise, The Elder WAS Dr. Ingmar. Yeah, I've already listened to the audio tapes, there is no mistaking that accent.

Radio message indicates the remnants of the army or government are still operational but what does add to the game's overall story and ending? Nothing in my opinion, besides from a being sequel bait.

Why did they create the mutants? I am guessing to create a new kind of species that can withstand The Zone/radiation? Not sure, would love to get a clear answer on that one.

But I like the vagueness of the story. We know Sweden was launching people to the space to colonize (there was a note saying, "give us your info, sperm etc. so you can go the space," near a crashed Mimir). A war and a plague broke out and destroyed the world. But I am not sure which one happened before in the timeline?

Overall I enjoyed it. It's a solid 7 for me.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
this game is awesome but it really needs an undo button, I have accidentally moved my characters after fast forwarding enemies or gone two spaces instead of one so many times now (good thing I save every few turns when its going well)

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Need help:

Strange behavior on my Xbox One X. At the beginning. Reached the elevator zone to the arche. Fought all enemies. Fine. Open the chest. My Console shuts down immediately. Have reloaded the game 3 times. Always at the same chest. Started a new game, now the shutdown is already at the first chest. Have now deinstalled the game and re-install it. Also deleted the save file and hoping the game will nut bug out again.

Anyone else with a similar issue?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing the game today.. Still super early (I just got to Selma) and I'm loving it so far...

The only 2 small things that bugs me a bit so far:

1-I wish there was a run button that you could use when your flashlight is out
2-If you hit regroup, your teammates should regroup all the time... Not just when they are not hidden... It's annoying to have to cycle through the characters to "unhide" them before you can regroup.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Edit: Beaten

Patch incoming for PS4:

https://forums.funcom.com/t/playstation-4-update-11-12-2018-patch-notes/48020

Hey everyone! There is a new patch out for the PS4 version of Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden. This patch will take care of a troublesome crash issue that players reported to us.
Changelog:
  • Fixed random crash during fast travel
This patch will also come to Xbox One at a later date
I wonder how long it'll take for this patch to come to Xbox One. I'm playing on X, and it's really irritating how often the game crashes after fast-traveling. And it makes the unskippable logos that appear when you start the game all the more irritating.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Just got the game. Knocking over a medbot and throwing it a good old fashioned shotgun party feels pretty good.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, on the map there are various places that are kind of coloured in an orangish colour, what does this mean? Presumably theres something there I havent done or collected?

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 25 hours in and only a level 35. I do take my sweet ass time exploring/scavenging and reloading battles to be as effecient as possible. Not to mention I'm on the middle difficulty, which I believe is their 'Hard'. Just got to the autumn season areas down South. The difficulty has been pretty much perfect so far and I've only used maybe 5 medkits total. Just got that vintage looking 1-shot sniper in a crate. Might upgrade that. Pleasantly surprised by the number of weapons so far. Still loving this. Worth $35 EASILY. Give us Mutant 2!

AGwebs5.png

2-If you hit regroup, your teammates should regroup all the time... Not just when they are not hidden... It's annoying to have to cycle through the characters to "unhide" them before you can regroup.

I think this is so you can hide one party member on the flank, but still want to regroup with the other. I know what you mean though, unhiding individual members is a minor annoyance.

Just got the game. Knocking over a medbot and throwing it a good old fashioned shotgun party feels pretty good.

There's a super useful weapon mod that has like a 40% chance to disable (EMP) robot enemies for like 3 whole turns. I threw it on my shotty and it makes battles so much easier to keep them out of the battle. Best weapon mod I've used. Allows you to save currency you would've used on EMP nades, which are crazy expensive even with the store discount.

edit 2: The fox is so cool, but I wish she had some unique mutations. They're all recycled ones, albeit still useful.

I also noticed the fox's shotty is slightly different from the one you get in a crate. Better physical condition and higher DPS/Crit, I believe.

Running two shotty mains in your party shreds enemies, with one long range sniper to poke ppl from tough angles from high cover.

Last edited:

painey

Oct 27, 2017
REALLY enjoying this so far. Wish it had a bit more story, though.. but I am early on.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Like the game early on but had a hard lock 10 mins into the game, so I shelved it for a while.

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm frustrated with this game because it's almost great, IMO. The combat is fun, the UI is incredibly helpful in planning movement (X-COM could learn some things from this game), most skills can be VERY useful, the world is interesting, and the focus on ambush and thinning the enemy herd are good, but it's got issues.

Here's my personal peeves:
  • The random sight range "are you going to be detected or not" when stealthed makes planning annoying. I'd much prefer clear-cut yes/no on detection because it makes setup more work than it should be - i.e. can I get to cover and hit Y before the somehow now-expanding detection ring arbitrarily sees me? That's not a fun game to play when you're really just relying on UI manipulation times to go your way in order to set up an attack.
  • The ability for enemies to detect a stealthed character through a solid cover wall with no sight to them is kinda dumb. Do I smell really bad? Am I a heavy breather or something? Do all the enemies have infra-red vision? Why is this even happening? If this was fictionalized in character traits or by specific enemy type (e.g. hunters can see through walls to half their sight range), I'd buy into it more.
  • The "oops you got seen one second too early, half the team dies first turn" factor (happens more often than you think) means I'm constantly saving and reloading. I've almost never had an accidental encounter go my way (I'm ~L30 at the moment, playing on hard) when I don't initiate them... once I think I pulled it off with no one dying and no burning of all medkits. This is absolutely amplified by the difficulty setting.
  • I'm surprised you don't full heal when returning to the Ark. That feels like an oversight even on above normal difficulty. I can't even pay for that outside of burning medkits. My playthrough has been with most of my team at half-health in every encounter / map.
  • The frequent crashes on the X - fast travelling, while the ark leader drones on, in the middle of a turn, etc. This gets old, especially as the intro logos are unskippable, long, and there's 4-5 of them you have to sit through every time. There's also times where the game has completely hitched up / froze for a good 20 seconds before snapping out and continuing.
  • Once you get the ability to mind-control enemies you can see that their weapons can't possibly do the damage they're doing to you with them when you're hit. I realize this is the difficulty modifier at work, but it's disappointing to see they didn't give the enemies better weapons rather than just artificially inflate their damage numbers. This points to a game that was really balanced around normal difficulty only.
  • Minor: Enemies don't have a bleedout rule like you do. A medic can revive any enemy no matter how long they've been dead. I get that it's robot magic, but I personally like the rules level in TBS games.
  • Minor: All the cool movement powers you get for some of your characters can't be used out of combat, which would make setup a lot more fun if they could.
  • Minor: It would be nice if weapons showed / displayed sound radius, such that you could get a feel for using noisy vs. quiet weapons when setting up ambush distances.
Despite all of this, I still really like the game a lot and recommend it to any X-COM / TBS fan, especially those that like more merciless game play. I'd suggest that normal difficulty is the more spontaneous (you can mess up your setups and still pull out a clean win) and less frustrating way to experience it for most players.

For what it's worth, if you flip over into combat without being detected you can use your movement abilities and then exit combat to keep setting up the ambush. It's not exactly ideal but it does help with set-up a good bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.