• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm getting deeper into the game now and it's starting to crash on me pretty often. Anyone else having similar issues?

I'm pretty much constantly saving at this point so I don't lose any progress but it's becoming really annoying.

Edit: Ah, looks like there's a patch coming at least. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game today. The ending was a bit underwhelming but the game overall was awesome.

I feel like the stealth part didn't work out thaaaaaaat great because especially early on I would just die almost instantly when that went bad because only Boromin could take some hits. So it was pretty much "look for the guys who obviously are intended to be taken out stealthily because they wander around a lot and take them out" and that wasn't always that much fun.
Still a great game tho.

Also I liked the voice acting and the fact that they wrote unique dialogue for every character and every scenario so depending on who you control at the moment you get to hear their thoughts on something and it would often be very different (nothing major obviously but still). Thought that was neat.

Jreid2112

Oct 31, 2017
Corpus Christi Texas
Just finished it and man that ending reminded me of Rage. Vague can be fine but they really needed more. Overall the game play was enjoyable hoping it was successful enough for a sequel. I want more from this world so much potential .

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
I love this game. I've played about 5 hours and my only complaint is that I pretty much suck at it and I get frustrated from it. I never really got into strategy games, but this game has its hooks in me.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm getting deeper into the game now and it's starting to crash on me pretty often. Anyone else having similar issues?

I'm pretty much constantly saving at this point so I don't lose any progress but it's becoming really annoying.

Edit: Ah, looks like there's a patch coming at least. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
I think the crashing is linked to fast travel.

I've come across a much bigger issue that may keep me from completing the game, though. I'm at a pretty late-game area called
Grave of the Ancients
, and something's really wrong with the context-sensitivity in the game. Selma seems to be bugged out or something, as she constantly has a shield above her head as though she's in cover. Any command that would appear when you get close to an object (whether it's to climb a ladder, hide behind cover, pick up scrap or whatever) stops appearing, meaning that I can't do any of those things. Even worse, if I climb up a ladder, then I'll often not be able to even fall back down from that area, trapping me. I can sometimes escape these issues or temporarily correct them by swapping my party members, but it's not consistent. I honestly don't think I can finish the game. I can't even ambush enemies consistently, because the button prompt never appears when I'm within range.

I've tried closing and restarting the game, and nothing seems to permanently resolve the issue. I went through the trouble of sneaking through that area to get to the next one, and the problems persist.

EDIT: Never mind. I appear to have found a way around this issue. I removed Selma from my party, then fast-traveled, which obviously crashed the game. I re-loaded my game, thus loading me into the area that I'd previously fast-traveled to. I then fast-traveled back to the aforementioned late-game area with Selma still not in my party, and I noticed that the issue seemed to be fixed. I swapped Selma back into my party, and she no longer had the shield icon over her head. Context-sensitivity seems to be working just fine again. Fucking game.

EDIT #2: Just happened again when I dropped off of the second story of a building. The shield re-appeared. I figured it might have something to do with Selma's ability that makes low cover act as high cover, so I removed that skill. Turns out that the shield disappeared. I swapped the skill back on, and it's still gone. As such, if you're using the skill that makes low cover act as high cover, then maybe reconsider and switch to something else if you experience the issue I had.

Last edited:

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I can't even play the game as it won't let me past the menu screen. I have an orange spinning circle and that's it. I deleted and reinstalled, same thing. X1X btw.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I loved everything about this game. I obssessed over it for about 5 days straight. A lot of the tactics feel like a smarter streamliniung of Xcom. The smaller, harder battles are a nice change of pace. Overwatch is now underpowered rather than over. Snipers can move and shoot same round. Just a lot of really smart changes that add to tactical depth of the strategy.

And I really love the scavenging / stealth portions too. It's a great way to break up the gameplay without abstracting it to base building the way Xcom does. This game is a tight little package and everything just fits together so well.

When I got to the ending, I was actually surprised that people found it vague or cliffhanging. I thought it was pretty clear at giving answers (but maybe not the "why") and setting up room for a sequel with that final message.

I really hope it sells well enough for them to make the sequel. I'd love to see more of this universe and this game. This one is probably in my top 5 games of the year.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Finished the game tonight, really enjoyable overall. I didn't hate the ending, just thought it was so-so. I'd be interested to see what they could do to continue the story in a sequel.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
I finished it yesterday, loved it. Thought it was really great and one of my favourite games of the year, hopefully there is some meaty dlc to bridge the gap to a sequel

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Crash bug fixed on Xbox.

Hey everyone!
We have a new patch available for the Xbox One version of Mutant Year Zero! This will roll out a heap of new fixes for the console version, chief among them a crash bug when fast travelling to the Ark.
We will also continue to chip away at other critical issues. Please continue to provide us with feedback and bug reports.
Critical Fixes
• Fix for possible permanent character slot loss in Iron Mutant mode
• Fix for game freeze in the tutorial
• Fix for a crash while fast traveling
Bug Fixes
• Fixed enemies dropping wrong loot after loading a save
• Bug fix for status icons staying on some dead characters
• Fixed health bars not appearing after loading a save game
• Fixed the health bars not displaying correctly
• Fixed turn notification not always displaying correctly
• Fixed destructible walls with too low threshold
• Fixed collision issues in Spear of Heaven, The Sea Titans, The Forbidden City, The Castle of Light, Hammon's Cabin
• Fixed body bags not fading properly
• Fixed 2 artifact descriptions
• Animation fix when using Hog Rush
• Fixed the alert state not correctly being maintained when loading save game
• Improved performance for Mothership
• Fixes to the flashlight state
• Fixed Iron Mutant bleeding out bug
• Players can correctly view weapons of characters that are not currently in their party
• The bonus on Moth Wings now displays correctly
• Swapping characters in squad no-longer resets mutation cooldown
• Fix for incorrect teleporting into castle
• Fix for teleporting through Lux's gate exploit.
• Fixed incorrect "Save Failed" dialog when starting a new game
Balance Fixes
• Balanced Stoneskin cost
• Mind controlled enemies can no longer be blinded
• Fixed mind control cooldown with melee attacks
• EMP weapon modifications less OP
• Plutonia now does double damage with her chainlighting
• Enemies no longer drop small batteries
• Stoneskin now absorbs melee attacks

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
I can't even play the game as it won't let me past the menu screen. I have an orange spinning circle and that's it. I deleted and reinstalled, same thing. X1X btw.

On a black screen or is there the menu at the bottom of the screen?

finish the game yesterday. Ending is a little weird but I don't know anything about this RPG system outside of this game.

Normal is a little too easy once you get 3 silent weapons. Hard is too hard. I would have taken a difficulty in between.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
On a black screen or is there the menu at the bottom of the screen?

finish the game yesterday. Ending is a little weird but I don't know anything about this RPG system outside of this game.

Normal is a little too easy once you get 3 silent weapons. Hard is too hard. I would have taken a difficulty in between.

It's the main menu, it says press start or something and I hit a button and get a spinning loading circle but can't get past it.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Finished it this evening, thought the ending was fine. Overall I really enjoyed it but for me it's not in the same league as Xcom. I'm hoping for a sequel so they can expand on the foundation of this game.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017

CRITICAL FIXES
  • El Generator Artifact can be collected even though the Z600 is still 'alive'.
  • Jumping camera issues for some users should be fixed.
  • Alt-Tabbing issues should be fixed.
  • Player duplication bug is fixed.
    • Savegames with this issue are unfortunately non-salvagable.
BUG FIXES
  • Language settings are instantly applied when changed in menu.
  • Axis keybindings fixed.
  • Fix for unusable empty save sessions.
  • Design change - Artifacts are no longer destructible in the forbidden city and house of bones.
  • Fixes for weapon mod range bonus.
MINOR FIXES
  • Splash Screen Skip now possible when game is fully loaded.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing this game and loving it. It has its hooks in me

Same. After bailing on BELOW I finally fired this one up and I'm honestly a little shocked how much fun I am having with it. I mean, I enjoyed XCOM but never got around to playing 2. So between the original XCOM and Mario + Rabbids, that was about all the exposure I've had to this genre. The art style also initially turned me off. Thankfully the word of mouth on this one has been so good, and it's on game pass - as I don't know that I would have given it a shot otherwise and that would have been a shame considering just how much fun I am having.

Also, probably good I was told to start on Normal and not the default hard. Cause even then it's got a steepish learning curve up front for someone like me who only has a glancing knowledge of the genre.

That being said, I was able to tackle the House of Bones area last night entirely through stealth, with out alerting anyone beyond the one person I engaged, and I felt like a God.

Last edited:

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Crash bug fixed on Xbox.

I really wish they would patch Mutant Year Zero for graphical effect parity between the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X. Unless I've missed something, I don't believe they've even formally announced they were looking into/addressing it. It's the one thing keeping me from firing it up as my next game in my backlog.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they would patch Mutant Year Zero for graphical effect parity between the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X. Unless I've missed something, I don't believe they've even formally announced they were looking into/addressing it. It's the one thing keeping me from firing it up as my next game in my backlog.

As long as you're aware this is completely irrational behaviour...

Nov 14, 2017
I've never played X-Com but I did play Mario+Rabbids. Do you think I'd like this game?

Klepek talking about it on Waypoint Radio and the Giant Bomb Quick Look have me interested but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
As long as you're aware this is completely irrational behaviour...
I want to play this game, but I want to experience it the best way possible. As a GamePass subscriber, I already have the capability to play it, but I will wait until something is discussed about why there are significant graphical effects missing in the Xbox One X that are in the PS4 Pro version and/or if they will be patched in.

See? There's rationale and logic right there!

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this game was Biomutant. Downloaded it via GamePass. Was highly confused. Figured it out. Deleted it.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I want to play this game, but I want to experience it the best way possible. As a GamePass subscriber, I already have the capability to play it, but I will wait until something is discussed about why there are significant graphical effects missing in the Xbox One X that are in the PS4 Pro version and/or if they will be patched in.

Huh. I had no idea this was a thing. But I will say, the game just runs terribly on Xbox 1 X. I wouldn't be surprised if it was sub 30 a good portion of the time. I'm still really loving it, but there is always a 5 or so minute adjustment period where my brain has to get used to how slow and sluggish it all looks and feels.

I thought this game was Biomutant. Downloaded it via GamePass. Was highly confused. Figured it out. Deleted it.

Up until this post, I was remembering these as the same games. Shame you deleted it though. This is a really great game.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played X-Com but I did play Mario+Rabbids. Do you think I'd like this game?

Klepek talking about it on Waypoint Radio and the Giant Bomb Quick Look have me interested but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

It's got a very different feel from M+R - it's much less focused on movement around the map. More than once I've tried to move one teammate to the same spot as another to do that bounce/jump move you can do in M+R! But what you loose is map movement, you gain in positioning and stealth mechanics. Obviously the look of the game is much darker, although the tone is quirky for sure - if a bit more serious.

If you enjoyed M+R, and especially if you have access to the game via GamePass, I'd say it's totally worth checking out. If you have to buy it outright, I'd say maybe look at a few more gameplay videos to see if you think you'd dig it. I definitely am, but it really emphasises different aspects of the genre than M+R focused on.

Nov 14, 2017
It's got a very different feel from M+R - it's much less focused on movement around the map. More than once I've tried to move one teammate to the same spot as another to do that bounce/jump move you can do in M+R! But what you loose is map movement, you gain in positioning and stealth mechanics. Obviously the look of the game is much darker, although the tone is quirky for sure - if a bit more serious.

If you enjoyed M+R, and especially if you have access to the game via GamePass, I'd say it's totally worth checking out. If you have to buy it outright, I'd say maybe look at a few more gameplay videos to see if you think you'd dig it. I definitely am, but it really emphasises different aspects of the genre than M+R focused on.
Thanks! Yeah I'd be playing on PS4 Pro so maybe I'll look for some more gameplay before I make a decision.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I want to play this game, but I want to experience it the best way possible. As a GamePass subscriber, I already have the capability to play it

Best way possible? So enjoy the PC version then. Otherwise; the best way possible if you only have one platform is the version for that platform.

Not really. I just see fear-of-missing-out or something. The game would be good even if it looked like shit. Not playing it because someone else is getting light shafts or whatever is... weird.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm doing the tutorial now and I'm very impressed, the game has given me a great first impression. I love the banter between the characters and the overall theme is fantastic.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I got the wings mutation for Dox and I kinda don't understand how it works? Like he flies up but it doesn't look like I really have any extra possibilites?

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I got the wings mutation for Dox and I kinda don't understand how it works? Like he flies up but it doesn't look like I really have any extra possibilites?

I didn't really use it much, but I think it just increases accuracy while making you harder to hit. Might also help in hitting targets behind cover.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I started on very hard as it's the "intended experience" but damn I keep wiping on the same bit. Is it like most of these games where the start is the hardest bit?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Did the patch fix the stuttering on 1X? Honestly it's pretty bad especially when it looks worse than the PS4 Pro version as well.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Ok,I thought since I could not kill a stupid shaman before he could call reinforcements,I would concentrate on the tank and other flunkies as well...but noooo,if you dont kill he keeps calling more guys after a while...this game is worst the XCom in the frustration department lol...I got Magnus now though so lets see how it goes.

Did the patch fix the stuttering on 1X? Honestly it's pretty bad especially when it looks worse than the PS4 Pro version as well.

Was therea patch today on 1X...? didnt check,I hope so.

I started on very hard as it's the "intended experience" but damn I keep wiping on the same bit. Is it like most of these games where the start is the hardest bit?

IMHO,this comment from the devs about intended experience on the hardest setting is bullshit...game is hard af on normal lol.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
IMHO,this comment from the devs about intended experience on the hardest setting is bullshit...game is hard af on normal lol.

I decided to stick it out on very hard and I'm glad I did, it's tough as nails but really satisfying to nail a fight. I'm currently level 14 but the next quest is level 20 so I'm just trying to find areas I haven't cleared yet, but I think I've done all buy one at this point which might be a problem.

So far I've put 3 hours into the game and I love it, the atmosphere is unique, the humour is very cute and overall it's just a very well made game with a lot to like. I'm definitely glad I took a risk on this one.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Do scraps or enemies respawn? Ive been just wandering off into all the zones I can access and grabbing what gear and such I'm able.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Do scraps or enemies respawn? Ive been just wandering off into all the zones I can access and grabbing what gear and such I'm able.

No they don't. That is a solid strategy if you find a fight overwhelming--go do some sneaking/looting and upgrade then return. I did that a few times in the late game. In fact, later on I think it encourages you to play some of the levels more like a pure stealth game to make it through an area (I returned later to mop up enemies once my levels were higher).

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Man that makes me not even wanna finish it...
I honeslty don't quite get the comparison. This game ties up most of the plot threads. You find out what happened to the guy you were searchign for, what Eden is, your characters' origins. It answers all those questions. And there is a bit of a teaser for what comes next at the end at the very end, a bit of a stinger.

The only part I thought was a bit sudden was that I wasn't aware the final battle was really the final battle. But that's just a result of the game not really having a clearling defined "big bad" (and it is not the kind of narrative where a "big bad" really makes much sense).

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Nope. As long as you use stealth to pick off enemies without setting off larger battles too often and return to earlier areas to take out the enemies you can finally handle, the progression tends to be pretty smooth.

That said, I finally finished the game. It's a shame that the game's so riddled with technical issues, because I really like the game play. Terrible ending, by the way. It actually felt kind of incomplete.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It's useful if you have mods that give you extra crits. High ground can be some really big advantages, especially late game. I won a lot of the late game battles specifically because I was up in high buildings over enemies.
So they nerfed the EMP weapon modifications. Guess I'm glad I finished the game yesterday because I abused the hell out of those lol.
Oh man. Yeah. That was a key strategy I used against those police bots. I guess now you'll just have to rely on EMP grenades and the specials.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I decided to stick it out on very hard and I'm glad I did, it's tough as nails but really satisfying to nail a fight. I'm currently level 14 but the next quest is level 20 so I'm just trying to find areas I haven't cleared yet, but I think I've done all buy one at this point which might be a problem.

So far I've put 3 hours into the game and I love it, the atmosphere is unique, the humour is very cute and overall it's just a very well made game with a lot to like. I'm definitely glad I took a risk on this one.

Oh yeah,dont get me wrong I like it also,I started on the middle difficulty and got stuck,probably where you are just after finding Selma...? the first time you meet a med bot or Shaman is tuff and since I wanted to keep playing lol,I brought it down on the ''normal'' difficulty...it's still a challenge to me so it's okay.

The patch on the 1X seems to have brought it on par with the Pro,I swear it looks nicer and doesnt pause anymore for a few seconds as much as before when your turn changes.

Last edited:

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm struggling, everything I can do is way above my level. I'm going to higher areas and stealthing around looting but it feels like I'm missing something, surely I shouldn't be 5 levels behind the main story?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Been playing this a bunch over the past week, think I'm getting relatively near the end. I'm absolutely loving the stealth aspects, it's very satisfying to pick things off and be strategic with how and when to engage. My only issue is that now the enemies are becoming very strong in terms of how much health they have and I'm wondering how to deal with them. I'm on the mushroom farm level now and I've taken out most solo and duo enemies but there's still two groups with tanks left and a master enemy. I've got no idea how to take these groups down without going loud and alerting everyone, starting a fight I have no hope of winning. How are people doing it? I could cheese grenades for a 24 damage first strike, but that alerts everyone and leaves me open. Any tips? I feel like the weapons need much more beef to deal with these high level enemies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm struggling, everything I can do is way above my level. I'm going to higher areas and stealthing around looting but it feels like I'm missing something, surely I shouldn't be 5 levels behind the main story?

Are there side areas you've missed? I'm about the right level for all content but it involves doing all the levels available, you can't just beeline through the story.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'd highly recommend this game to anyone that thinks they may enjoy any strategy or turn based gameplay. I'm playing on normal and it's actually easy on normal once you figure out how things work and some basic tips. Does not take any high level tactics to beat it there. At first it seemed overwhelmingly difficult but as soon as I understood the core gameplay loop, not that hard at all. You'll stealth your way and avoid some encounters early in order to find upgraded weapons and gear in highly rated areas. Then you can go back and kill off those enemies to level up.

Status
Not open for further replies.