• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Picked this up yesterday and I'm already 11 hours in. This game's progression system is super addicting and I love just exploring the areas. The setting reminds me a lot of The Last Of Us. Was putting off picking it up until there was a sale, but caved and I'm glad I did.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
100% agreed on all your points. I was thinking the same thing about how having finished Ashen might have influenced my views on this ending as well. It's not a lot to go on, but what is there wraps up well enough and does some table setting for a sequel or DLC.

Yeah it's like a season finale of a television show. Main threat is wrapped up but something is tossed into the mix to change the status quo for the future.

Picked this up yesterday and I'm already 11 hours in. This game's progression system is super addicting and I love just exploring the areas. The setting reminds me a lot of The Last Of Us. Was putting off picking it up until there was a sale, but caved and I'm glad I did.

The environment art in the game is fantastic for sure. I love the density of it all.

jXaU6al.png

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Ending was fine I guess, called it as soon as
you read the first note in the lab about Ingmar leaving. Strange that Dux was the only one with dialogue, too. I wonder if that plays out different if you let him die?

Still, great game. Definitely in my top 10 for the year.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Ending was fine I guess, called it as soon as
you read the first note in the lab about Ingmar leaving. Strange that Dux was the only one with dialogue, too. I wonder if that plays out different if you let him die?

Still, great game. Definitely in my top 10 for the year.

The active player usually determines who is talking in-game.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
For those on Xbox One X who experience the shutdown bug when opening a chest there is a workaround that mitigates the shutdown of the console & game:

"Press the Xbox-Button directly after you pressed the A-Button when opening the chest."

Worked for me!

Last edited:

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
For those on Xbox One X who experience the shutdown bug when opening a chest there is a workaround that mitigates the shutdown of the console & game:

"Press the Xbox-Button directly after you pressed the A-Button when opening the chest."

Worked for me!

I'll give this a try, I just started this game on Sunday, and had two crashes pretty quickly. I then saw it was a known issue, with currently no estimate on a fix. I was planning on holding off on playing till the fix was in place.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no... I just got the 5th character... I feel like I got the 4th just one mission ago lol...

Looks like there's a lot of repetitions in the skills choices between the characters tho... Not sure which lineup to go for. I kinda don't want to get rid of the two OG characters lol.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no... I just got the 5th character... I feel like I got the 4th just one mission ago lol...

Looks like there's a lot of repetitions in the skills choices between the characters tho... Not sure which lineup to go for. I kinda don't want to get rid of the two OG characters lol.

For stealth play I found Farrow's critical bonuses to be a huge help.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm currently in "The Metal Fields" omw to "The World Ender".... How far am I in the campaign? Like, roughly how long do I have left?

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Just finished it up, just around 24 hours on Very Hard. Great game, never felt overwhelmed, was level 64 when I finished up. Hopefully we see some DLC/expansions sometime over the next few months. Might replay to clean up some achievements that would pretty easy to get, not sure I'm up for Iron Mutant on Very Hard tho.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Great game really. Finally beat it... not sure how long it took.. about 20 hours or so... did all the optional maps as well. Used Dux, Bormin and Magnus as my final crew. Bormins rush and Magnus's mind control on tanks is really sweet.

I can see people getting frustrated by the game if they don't utilize Bormin's knockdown ability.. as it's just key to picking off enemies silently. Once you understand how to approach combat I only ever lost a fight by fucking up and alerting everyone when I didn't mean too.

Saving is important as well, as RNG can fuck you over at times.. but that's normal in this kind of game.

Really enjoyed the game, and the world was a lot of fun and the mutant animals really made for a nice change of pace from the pretty generic X-Com setting.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
Anyone having the issue of being stuck at the title screen loading indefinitely? Running on Xbox X, but reading it is an issue on other platforms as well. Their support tickets haven't found any solutions yet. I've hard reboot and reinstalled to no avail.

I'm a fucking idiot, the loading icon was the cursor.

Alessandro

Oct 27, 2017
This game is awesome and currently available for 12 dollars with humble bundle monthly.

If you love-hate Xcom as I do you're going to love this game: the free roam maps system with sneak attacks is great. You can wipe most of the enemies, get exp, lvl up and keep going with no need to go back to base.

There's no mission structure so if you encounter a difficulty spike you can go back to another area and find a new silent pistol: now you can wipe most the difficult area because you have more dps for hidden attacks.

If you wanted a more flexible gameplay from xcom this is the game for you. It also has character with personalities and a captivating story.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Bought it yesterday and played one hour. Really liking it so far, it's awesome. Running around, sneaking up on enemies, positioning etc. Is fun. Can't wait to play more.

Also, I dig the visuals and the style. So well done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it yesterday and played one hour. Really liking it so far, it's awesome. Running around, sneaking up on enemies, positioning etc. Is fun. Can't wait to play more.

Also, I dig the visuals and the style. So well done.

Yeah, it's fantastic. I'm real interested to hear more about the upcoming expansion.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Played a lot more of the game, it creates a lot of interesting combat scenarios. Once you get a handful mutations, the combat really opens up. And also, damn it gets hard.

I was hyped for Phoenix Point before playing this game. But the free movement, sneaking around, positioning and setting up situations are so great that I can't get hyped for games with traditional full on turn based gameplay.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
The trailer for the expansion intrigued me enough to check this out. How is the story in this? Decent enough to keep pulling me along?

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed - the characters are really great, and the different combinations make for some fun groups and commentary. The story itself is entirely solid, but you'll probably have the 'twist' sorted out well in advance. Still, it's a great great game - highly recommended.

SUPER excited to see that it is getting an expansion. Hopefully that means it's done well enough for a full on sequel too?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Should i wait for the expansion before guetting this game ? It's currently on sales but maybe i should wait for the complete package

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
The game got a rather fat patch on Steam today, in preparation of the expansion that's releasing 11 hours from out now. Haven't found a changelog though.

4 new features in Mutant Year Zero: Seed of Evil

Seed of Evil continues the gameplay style from Road to Eden, with tactical turn-based combat combined with real-time exploration and stealth, but expands the options you have when choosing your team and their skills. It is, after all, an expansion! Here are 4 new things in Seed of Evil:
  1. More content: Seed of Evil takes place in an entirely new area of the Zone. Explore new maps and defeat the new plant based Pod Ghouls, who will attack you with mutations of their own. As you explore you'll also find new weapons and armor, which will be of great help to you.
  2. A new Stalker enters the fray: Big Khan the moose is a legendary Stalker who left the Ark years ago for unknown reasons. He teams up with Bormin, Dux, and the rest of the team to fight the new threat and keep the Ark safe. Khan's size and strength make him an excellent fighter, capable of landing highly damaging critical hits against enemies.
  3. New mutations: We're introducing a brand new mechanic in Seed of Evil that lets you upgrade certain existing mutations. Bormin's Hug Rosh can become a mighty Bear Smash, with increased power, while Selma's Tree Hugger can become a Tree Caster ability, which can temporarily turn enemies into cover for you to hide behind.
  4. Retake lost territory: Zone Ghouls, bots and other horrors are encroaching on places you've already cleared out in Road to Eden. This time around they're stronger than ever and your Stalkers are tasked by the Ark with clearing them out.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
We've got an OT for the expansion/deluxe retail release/switch port now over in gaming
www.resetera.com

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Deluxe Edition + Seed of Evil Expansion |OT| The Moose is Loose

Developer: The Bearded Ladies Console Ports: High Voltage Software Publisher: Funcom Platforms: Nintendo Switch [new!], PC, Playstation 4, and Xbox One Release Date (Switch, Seed of Evil, and DX Edition Retail): July 30, 2019 | PS4 digital: August 6, 2019 | Japan: November 21, 2019 Original...

PayOffWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester England
I've been thinking of picking this up in the Christmas deals, is it worth it for someone who enjoys xcom? It looks a bit clunky and unpolished so im hesitant, whats the general consensus?

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking of picking this up in the Christmas deals, is it worth it for someone who enjoys xcom? It looks a bit clunky and unpolished so im hesitant, whats the general consensus?
I've only played about 10 minutes of the new X-Com, so I'm not the most qualified to answer this question. However, I really enjoyed my time with this game! I thought the characters were interesting, the combat engaging, and the comba arenas well designed.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

I actually found it to be surprisingly polished, aside from some stutters on Xbox One (not sure if later patches have helped smoothed that over). The game can be gorgeous at times and everything flows together very well.

c1JZ8df.png

jXaU6al.png

Last edited:

Tbone3336

Oct 28, 2017

I will add that this game is very polished for the scope of the game. I had way less bugs with this than when X-Com released on console. The positive mechanic that i like is the free roam ability in each arena before a fight that lets you pick off individual target to whittle the odds down into your favor and for finding loot to upgrade weapons with.

The one mechanic of the game that I hope changes a bit is you have a set number of characters and while they can die, it is different than Xcom in that if a character dies in this game I almost need to reload since there are not more mutants you can recruit beyond the set number they provide throughout your game play.

Other than that minor mechanic I would highly recommend it on sale or not. Happy Gaming if you decide to pick it up.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Sorry to bump this but I thought it was best to bump the OT than make a new thread. I'm thinking of picking this up on the Switch but I want to know how good the port is. I got it for free thanks to EGS but I prefer playing games on the Switch over the PC. I don't want to spend the cash though if the port is bad. So anyone who has it on Switch can you confirm how it runs?

Current OT

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Sorry to bump this but I thought it was best to bump the OT than make a new thread. I'm thinking of picking this up on the Switch but I want to know how good the port is. I got it for free thanks to EGS but I prefer playing games on the Switch over the PC. I don't want to spend the cash though if the port is bad. So anyone who has it on Switch can you confirm how it runs?
Why not bump the Switch version OT that has the info you're looking for built right in? :)
www.resetera.com

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Deluxe Edition + Seed of Evil Expansion |OT| The Moose is Loose

Developer: The Bearded Ladies Console Ports: High Voltage Software Publisher: Funcom Platforms: Nintendo Switch [new!], PC, Playstation 4, and Xbox One Release Date (Switch, Seed of Evil, and DX Edition Retail): July 30, 2019 | PS4 digital: August 6, 2019 | Japan: November 21, 2019 Original...

Status
Not open for further replies.