• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely do not understand what I'm doing wrong with this game.

I'm at the big fight after Hammon's Cabin where you fight a ton of people, on the "easiest" difficulty setting, and I'm just getting slaughtered over and over again. I'm completelty overwhelmed by the amount of enemies, and they all have health bars triple the size of mine.

What on earth am I doing wrong?
Take a few of them out stealthy first, like the ones of the outskirts, kill them without anyone hearing before you engage the others near the cabin

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
I'm kind of happy it'll be headed to Switch later, as playing the game on PC, I feel like it's gonna need some patches and updates to get really smooth.

Anyone unlock the 5th character? Feel free to post pics. I know there is Dux, Boreman, the horned lady, and Farrow (fox sniper) I'm pretty curious who the last one is.

To those complaining the characters stop progressing at around the mid-point. That makes sense since the game was designed without the New Game +. If you were still progressing at the end you'd have no opportunity to enjoy it.

Though if they update the game with a NG+ hopefully they allow you to progress in more meaningful ways.

I'm super glad this game is getting such great reviews. Averaging around 8 feels about right :) not perfect but damn good.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of happy it'll be headed to Switch later, as playing the game on PC, I feel like it's gonna need some patches and updates to get really smooth.

Anyone unlock the 5th character? Feel free to post pics. I know there is Dux, Boreman, the horned lady, and Farrow (fox sniper) I'm pretty curious who the last one is.

To those complaining the characters stop progressing at around the mid-point. That makes sense since the game was designed without the New Game +. If you were still progressing at the end you'd have no opportunity to enjoy it.

Though if they update the game with a NG+ hopefully they allow you to progress in more meaningful ways.

I'm super glad this game is getting such great reviews. Averaging around 8 feels about right :) not perfect but damn good.
You unlock the 5th person before the fox

He's a dude who was in the group with the guy you're looking for but got seperated, he can control enemy AI

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've upgraded the most I possibly could and the best I have is a weapon with 6 damage.

Are you sure you're in the right area? Because his cabin shouldn't be a barrier, the first real "tough" fight is in the next area.

Most enemies should be around level 5 where you're at, and so having at most 10 health, and so you should be able to easily take one out.

If it's the pull witht he shaman, kill him quick, Crossbow, followup with shotgun to the face, should just leave you with a hunter and butcher, who will get alerted but you should be fine. Without the shaman the backup doesn't arrive.

If dogs are pulling with them they can all be pulled by themselves without alerting the camp around the cabin.

Early on some useful things:

1. Shaman will always alert a pack of lower tier enemies. Being outnumbered is a huge issues and thus they should be a high priority target so they don't get it off. If you have some CC they can be held off a bit, but typically need to be controlled / killed before they get it off.
2. Med bots will try to revive dead enemies, including ones that are just background fodder that aren't part of the encounter proper. EMP will get shut them down, but there's an early shotgun thing you can get early that has a knockback that will always interrupt their channel.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
Are you sure you're in the right area? Because his cabin shouldn't be a barrier, the first real "tough" fight is in the next area.

Most enemies should be around level 5 where you're at, and so having at most 10 health, and so you should be able to easily take one out.

If it's the pull witht he shaman, kill him quick, Crossbow, followup with shotgun to the face, should just leave you with a hunter and butcher, who will get alerted but you should be fine. Without the shaman the backup doesn't arrive.

If dogs are pulling with them they can all be pulled by themselves without alerting the camp around the cabin.

Early on some useful things:

1. Shaman will always alert a pack of lower tier enemies. Being outnumbered is a huge issues and thus they should be a high priority target so they don't get it off. If you have some CC they can be held off a bit, but typically need to be controlled / killed before they get it off.
2. Med bots will try to revive dead enemies, including ones that are just background fodder that aren't part of the encounter proper. EMP will get shut them down, but there's an early shotgun thing you can get early that has a knockback that will always interrupt their channel.

I've just been following the story.

Went underground, met up with my first new teammate, and now I'm in an area that feels too high a level for me, but this is where the objective wants me to go. I think I'm at that tough fight but I do not understand how I'm even meant to put a dent in the enemy numbers. Far too many with huge health bars.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Went underground, met up with my first new teammate, and now I'm in an area that feels too high a level for me, but this is where the objective wants me to go. I think I'm at that tough fight but I do not understand how I'm even meant to put a dent in the enemy numbers. Far too many with huge health bars.

Ok then you're after the cabin, misread that

It's probably the fight I mentioned. Shaman, medbot, couple hunters iirc. Near a tunnel? What level are the enemies?

1. Easiest thing is, you can actually skip this., takes a bit of stealth and patience but you can avoid it and always come back (the encounters in the next area are easier).
2. I did some of what I said earlier, nuked the shaman asap, used CC methods to keep the medibot from reviving anything. Still took a pretty bad beating though.

Also if you have that shotgun I mentioned, knockback can be used on the hunter up above, and falling down will do some damage to him.

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017

I found that the leveling evens out better if you take detours into non-essential areas to fight enemies and scavenge for stuff; the game might be tougher early on if you exclusively follow the story.

voidecker

Oct 27, 2017

I'm at the big fight after Hammon's Cabin where you fight a ton of people, on the "easiest" difficulty setting, and I'm just getting slaughtered over and over again. I'm completelty overwhelmed by the amount of enemies, and they all have health bars triple the size of mine.

Are you able to take out the Shaman on your initial turn? That stops more enemies from spawning in.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
So, how slow and tactical is this game? What about its difficulty? I'm asking as someone who doesn't normally play or enjoy strategy games much, but had their interested piqued by the characters, story and art direction and wants to support it if there's any chance he'll enjoy it.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to the
"House of Bones"
which looks to be a level 20 zone.

I'm currently level 17 and I've cleared everything that's around my level so far... doesn't look like enemies respawn either in old zones.

Hmm..

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Loving it so far but the input delay/lag is a bit too much on Xbox One X. I'd wish it had a 1080p - 60fps mode.

So, how slow and tactical is this game? What about its difficulty? I'm asking as someone who doesn't normally play or enjoy strategy games much, but had their interested piqued by the characters, story and art direction and wants to support it if there's any chance he'll enjoy it.

It is a slow game, much slower than XCom for example.

Can't give my opinion on the difficulty as I have only played it for an hour on normal but I feel like it would be extremely challenging on higher difficulty tiers.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Just got to the
"House of Bones"
which looks to be a level 20 zone.

I'm currently level 17 and I've cleared everything that's around my level so far... doesn't look like enemies respawn either in old zones.

Hmm..

Levels don't really mean a lot directly, it's all about damage output (upgrade weapons) vs HP.

Weapon parts are extremely valuable. Break down shit weapons (like the two non-silenced starter pistols). Move weapon mods around so it makes sense (i.e +crit% mods on weapons that does highest crit damage, etc).

Don't fear high level zones. Go in and scout, try to extract all the resources you can without engaging enemies. Some times you can even get at great items without killing anyone.

You should have at least some of knee shot, tree hugger and hog rush, which all can take one or more enemies out of the fight for atleast one round. Lock them down, set them on fire, fall back, flank, don't take sub-75% shots.

If you're playing on normal and have access to three silenced weapons upgraded one step (3*30 weapon parts), an ambush should be able to do at least 30 HP of damage before the enemy even gets one action. (6+6+hog rush+6+6+6, roughly speaking. Maybe some 5s in there, I'm going by memory). If you know you have the damage and you've isolated an enemy, you don't have to care about cover. You move in for 100% chance shots!

If you're on a harder difficulty, know that kills and 'XP' are squad-level, so it doesn't matter who gets kills for the purpose of reseting cooldowns and gaining skill points.

Also, high cover (75%) is much more valuable than low cover (25%).

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Wow this game is good. Really happy with this... surprised I got this on GP. I am finding it as good as XCom, high praise indeed. Love the character design and the sound work.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I was always overleveled so far (45) but maybe you get more xp on the easiest difficulty?

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This game is so good! What a surprise. It's simple in therms of dialogues and cutscenes but the gameplay makes up for it.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I think I will wait for the X update first. Personally I loved XCOM and Divinity so this sounds like I will enjoy it.

I'm so grateful its on Game Pass too.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Mmmh... it is getting quite bashed by users, on Metacritic. I wonder why.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/mutant-year-zero-road-to-eden
Looking through steam most the current bashing is coming from "it's too short/shallow" and "it's too hard". I don't know why people were expecting a easy x-com style game or for a $34 game to be 200 hours long. Personally, both these complaints are check marks in the why i should buy this game.

I want shorter games i expect to miss a 85% chance to hit shot.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Looking through steam most the current bashing is coming from "it's too short/shallow" and "it's too hard". I don't know why people were expecting a easy x-com style game or for a $34 game to be 200 hours long. Personally, both these complaints are check marks in the why i should buy this game.

I want shorter games i expect to miss a 85% chance to hit shot.

I think it is a valid game, yet a bit under-developed.

Few characters, not so many maps (which are fixed and lack surprises), limited amount of items and so on.

Don't get me wrong: it is fine, yet I would not consider it some kind of masterpiece.

It also contains several design choices I don't like (can I use abilities just in combat? Really?).

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

Few characters, not so many maps (which are fixed and lack surprises), limited amount of items and so on.

Don't get me wrong: it is fine, yet I would not consider it some kind of masterpiece.

It also contains several design choices I don't like (can I use abilities just in combat? Really?).
I would never expect a budget title to be this fully fleshed out $200 million budget AAA title. I don't know why some people expected otherwise. I'm fine with the quirks, i just want more x-com games. And i am not saying everyone's criticism to be wrong but if you buy a $30 game and are expecting a 200 hour super polished game do research next time.

Performance issues, bad story, bad mechanics etc. are all valid concerns and critiques.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
I would never expect a budget title to be this fully fleshed out $200 million budget AAA title. I don't know why some people expected otherwise. I'm fine with the quirks, i just want more x-com games. And i am not saying everyone's criticism to be wrong but if you buy a $30 game and are expecting a 200 hour super polished game do research next time.

Performance issues, bad story, bad mechanics etc. are all valid concerns and critiques.

Wait. The game still costs 35 euros/USD and it not properly a budget release.

I don't think expectations play a role in liking/disliking this, the game has its own amount of flaws which come into consideration when evaluating it.

Reading several comments here it seems it is considered better than recente Xcom games and this is an exaggeration to me, especially content-wise.

You may say "Heh, it is a "budget game", yet there is plenty of very lengthy indie/budget games you can get for even less than 35 USD.

This game lacks in replayability and this is also an important thing to consider for a tactical videogame.

Overall, again, it is a fine, nice game, yet it is better not grow someone else's expectations, we are absolutely NOT talking about a masterpiece here.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I started playing last night on PS 4 and already figured that "Easy" is way too easy for me. Killed like everything up to the area atfer hammons house in like one s hot or without getting damage at all.

Figured out the Borman is my Tank and Dux is my Warrior. So i gave borman everything to just run in and shot, taunt people, defence stuff... and dux is getting everything that he needs to shot accuracy, range and critical.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017

If anything there are arguable too many characters. Gameplay-wise their only differences are in the skills; they could just as well have extended the skill trees of the initial three characters. If there were more character-to-character interaction, character-specific quests and deeper story archs I'd get it.

I think the limited amount of items is a good design choice, unless you wanted more slots. They've avoided the trap of having bazillion items which only provides miniscule updates and differs in a few percentage points here or there. Now you get fewer but mostly meatier upgrades instead.

The "limited" amount of maps is what it is. There's plenty of content for a $34 game IMO, and you can either agree with the design or not. It's like complaining there's no freeform exploration or connectedness to the maps in XCOM. Sure, you could do that. It'd just be a different game.

Maybe it'd make sense to have randomized areas where you could test your mettle and grind out stuff. There's plenty of room for improvement in any sequels.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017

Like I wrote earlier, I consider this the first real test in the game; it's a tough fight.

It's probably the fight I mentioned. Shaman, medbot, couple hunters iirc. Near a tunnel?
[..]
2. I did some of what I said earlier, nuked the shaman asap, used CC methods to keep the medibot from reviving anything. Still took a pretty bad beating though.

Also if you have that shotgun I mentioned, knockback can be used on the hunter up above, and falling down will do some damage to him.

At this point I had explored enough that everyone had a silenced weapon, and I had at least one EMP mod. With this I could take out the medbot first, silently, and then reposition and go in on the Shaman to make sure he couldn't call in reinforcements. This leaves three enemies for open combat IIRC. You can use molotovs to deny the hunters the high-ground. Don't be afraid to just overwatch from high cover (or even hidden). Enemies will eventually run out and get hit, and if they're on fire time is even on your side.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The game does seem to be running at the higher resolution on the X now. Tags still say otherwise but the listing on the X page says it's out and the game itself, from taking a couple seconds to look, seems pretty clean (at least on a 1080p screen).

mutantyearzeroroadtoepmeds.png

Last edited:

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I started playing last night on PS 4 and already figured that "Easy" is way too easy for me. Killed like everything up to the area atfer hammons house in like one s hot or without getting damage at all.

Figured out the Borman is my Tank and Dux is my Warrior. So i gave borman everything to just run in and shot, taunt people, defence stuff... and dux is getting everything that he needs to shot accuracy, range and critical.

Same thing except I am still on hard(middle choice) and Dux as died a few times,had to resurrect him once or got the last kill before he bleeds out...I think if one dies its not game over anyway...sticking to this difficulty for now.

WTH? How the hell they give improvements to the pro and nothing for the x being a more powerful console? I'm not going to buy the game until they release a patch for the x.

That is a little strange but I have Gamepass so I started playing anyway and it looks good in near 4K just the same. ;)

Last edited:

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
visually it looks fine. However there are some hiccups here and there. And sometimes the computer takes longer to make their move then normal.

Also my game crashed twice. Both times when i went to do quick travel.

Mine crashed three times in quick succession last night while quick traveling. Luckily it has a competent auto save and when you continue the game, you're in the area you were traveling to.

The best advice I can give, as others probably have, is to use stealth. Also, if you're far enough away from the main pack of enemies, you can use non-silenced weapons on enemies. I typically hit them with an arrow, then the silenced pistol, and then if they're still up, the shotgun. Sometimes it alerts another enemy, but mostly it doesn't if you're at a far enough distance.

Also try sneaking around the enemies and coming back to them later when you're stronger.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
This game is on Game Pass?? Oh man, I've been sitting here debating whether or not I should pick this one up, so that solves my problem for me!

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
The pigs rush attack is the best skill in the game imo.
Great for stealth kills too if you cant kill them in one round.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Was so hyped for this before I learned about unnecessarily sexualized collectibles hidden in the game.

Why. Just why. The collectibles could have been anything else.

Can these be disabled or something in the options?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It uses Denuvo
and more importantly, there is still no pirate version because of that.
My sweet summer child

It'll be cracked like the other denuvo games, but the reason it's being reviewed bombed is likely because of Denuvo and the devs defending it.

I hate denuvo myself, but not enough to go to these lengths.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Was so hyped for this before I learned about unnecessarily sexualized collectibles hidden in the game.

Why. Just why. The collectibles could have been anything else.

Can these be disabled or something in the options?

I think you're confusing this game with something else, at least I haven't seen any dildo artifacts or anything. Granted, not done with the game yet.

(And what game has ever had an option to disable collectibles?!)

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Is that an artifact?
I havent seen anything sexualized.
Yep, can't remember anything offending, actually.
I think you're confusing this game with something else, at least I haven't seen any dildo artifacts or anything. Granted, not done with the game yet.

(And what game has ever had an option to disable collectibles?!)
I'm referring to these. Are there lots of these or is this just one artifact?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/760060/discussions/0/1744479064008210743/

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
I'm referring to these. Are there lots of these or is this just one artifact?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/760060/discussions/0/1744479064008210743/

AHAHAH! :D

I think I just saw one of them.

It seems that there are 5 of them to find and people could not identify well what they are because they are small and blurry.

Yet, if this offends you my advice is to avoid the game.

Characters sometimes engage in jokes and some of them may result offensive, they are not properly well-mannered.

Status
Not open for further replies.