• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
headerq3irj.png

A tactical adventure game combining the turn-based combat of XCOM with story, exploration, stealth, and strategy. Take control of a team of Mutants navigating a post-human Earth. Created by a team including former HITMAN leads and the designer of PAYDAY.

Platform(s) PC, Playstation 4 and Xbox One
Release Date: December 4th, 2018
November 30th 2018 (9am PT/12pm ET, Preorders (anyday before Dec 4th) and Deluxe Edition—PC only)​
Genre: Tactical Adventure
Price: 34.99 USD (Part of the $5 back Winter of Arcade promo on Xbox)
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital only ("at launch")
Developer: The Bearded Ladies
Publisher: Funcom

faqgydn4.png

What is Mutant Year Zero: The Road to Eden?
Based on the Mutant Year Zero pen-and-paper RPG, the game is a tactical adventure game set in a post-apocalyptic Sweden. As a group of mutant "Stalkers" you are tasked with finding supplies for the last vestige of humanity by exploring the Zone.

How does combat work?
Gameplay in the zone is a mix of real time stealth and turn based tactical combat. As you explore "The Zone" you will have opportunities to avoid enemies with stealth (with their vision displayed on screen). From here you can take out opponents before they can alert their allies or setup strong positioning for combat. Once you initiate combat the game will transition into a turn based affair ala the X-Com series.

Do I get to create my own characters?
No. The game features 5 playable characters who are preset from the start.

Character progression?
You are able to enhance both your weapons and characters by spending scrap and gaining experience points respectively. By leveling characters you are able to unlock equipable mutations that will open up new combat and support abilities (allow a character to fly, or to trap enemies in place).

Is there permadeath?
There is an optional permadeath mode you can enable.

Game Pass?
Mutant Year Zero will launch on the Game Pass service at the same time as its standard release (December 4th). There is no Play Anywhere option so this is only for Xbox One and not PC.

Xbox One X and PS4 Pro Enhancements?
As of November 29th…

PS4 Pro Enables:
Atmospheric fog
Point light cube map shadows
A higher material quality
UI resolution is 4k, the frame resolution is 80% of 4k
Resolution will be 3200*1800 on Xbox One. Waiting for word back about additional details.

New Game +?
No.

Does progress in the PC demo carry over to the full game?
No.

Mouse and keyboard support on Xbox One?
No. The game is only controlled via an Xbox One gamepad on that console.

How long is the game?
The publisher quotes the game at 15 to 20 hours but with the potential to run much longer depending on difficulty and exploration.

Ultrawide support?
Was stated that the feature was not planned but, allegedly, the demo supports it.

FPS limit on PC?
There's the UE4 default cap of 62fps but you can get around it by doing the following...
Addding FrameRateLimit=x to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\ZoneUE4\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini does the trick:

Switch?
"Anything can happen, but we can't say for sure just yet :)"

So no physical copy then?
"We're not ruling anything out, but we can't say for sure that we'll release the game on disc."

mediaq3c75.png

ss_cc3ae0dc48d7f9294eadadd2ffd96a8284455e7a.600x338.jpg
ss_a61f5608dfaee2e5f152d512744b3924ab43ce35.600x338.jpg

ss_422c06d4911bb0a4c1f9dd010f4af26a06bbbf83.600x338.jpg
ss_fd0d399c7c6d1823963a56b73e4964f9b52d4dc6.600x338.jpg

reviews1vdxe.png

Metacritic (PC) - 78

Windows Central 4.5/5
The inelegant blend of serious themes and wacky comedy, and the use of what I feel are dated strategy game aiming mechanics prevent Mutant Year Zero from being truly perfect, but it's still an incredible experience that you can't miss.​

IGN 7.9
By blending real-time stealth with tried-and-true tactics gameplay, Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden breaks exciting new ground for the turn-based strategy game. Even with some mechanics that don't mesh perfectly with the gameplay, it teases your brain in interesting, insightful ways.

Techraptor 7/10
Warts and all, Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is a solid debut by indie studio The Bearded Ladies, composed by some veteran designers of Hitman and PAYDAY. Mutant stands out for its gripping and original twist on stealth with turn-based combat. Although I did expect more depth in terms of narrative, maybe it was wiser to keep it simple. There are occasional glimpses of a great game where the sum of its parts in level design and atmosphere coalesce into a compelling experience.

Slant Magazine 3/5
The game's dour setting fits its desperate, ambush-centric battles like a glove, but beyond that, the Zone and its inhabitants are little more than an under-realized aesthetic. Mutant Year Zero feels most of all like a promising start for something potentially greater. Indeed, for as much as the game offers an intense, occasionally brilliant spin on turn-based strategy, it's tough not to imagine how a sequel could improve the writing and the exploration to realize what is, at this point anyway, mostly just a lot of potential.

linksz8ecy.png

Steam
Xbox One
Playstation 4
Official Site

Last edited:

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am definitely interested. Waiting on reviews to pull the trigger.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Cautiously optimistic. It's got one of those "If this is good, it'll be fucking great" feels about it.

Last edited:

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Anything that has XCOM-like gameplay has my attention. Gonna wait for the reviews just to see, as part of the reason I love XCOM is the customizable characters/squads. But done right fixed characters can also be good - see Mario + Rabbids.

Anyway, I thought I was done with game purchases for the year after Smash, but if this reviews well I might pick it up as my 2018 finale.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Always was interested in the tabletop game, cause this is a prequel to the Mutant Chronicles games. But don't remember the odd character designs like the duck and fox dudes.... they were literally more like 40k mutations on humans.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this thread sold me on the game. I had seen the previews but it was always the human mutants and I was like "meh, I already beat x-com/x-com 2". The mutant animals aesthetic reminds me of the old "After the Bomb" RPG that I used to play the ever loving SHIT OUT OF.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I may get this in early 2019 after gamers complete it. What I would want to know from them is this:

If I play the first go around with perma-death turned on, are there any unexpected scenes where it is impossible to save your team unless you know exactly what to do in advance of that scenario?

I bring this up because I stopped playing the tactical battle game Valkyria Chronicles (which I initially loved to death) five years back when I reached a scene that was literally impossible to complete the first time through (Chapter 7 in the desert where Selvaria appears mid way). Only experience with what is to come after multiple re-loads makes it possible. I don't mind losing because of poor preparation or on-field tactics, but I didn't want to go through the whole game playing chapters that could not be passed unless you knew exactly what was to happen.

So in this MYZ game, it looks like a title that I may want to try to "one-life" it the first time through, even if it is likely I get killed and have to restart a few times... as long as all deaths are "fair" and don't require prior knowledge of some fatalistic squad killer that would be impossible to deal with first time through no matter how well the player prepares and plans.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am super interested in this game I just hope one of the characters you can eventually recruit is a Reptilian character.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to get a bit excited about this. I just hope GMG will have the key available in time for the early unlock.

<laugh track>

Please have a good PC interface, please...

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Starting to get a bit excited about this. I just hope GMG will have the key available in time for the early unlock.

<laugh track>

They advertise the early access for preoders on the store page for it on GMG, so if they dont get you the key in time you could probably get a refund or some other compensation.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Saw the Eurogamer preview and Im definitely interested. Glad it's coming to gamepass.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the Eurogamer preview and Im definitely interested. Glad it's coming to gamepass.

It'll be interesting to watch how Game Pass impacts this game. Have to figure it being a smaller release, and with press working on GOTY content and other prep for the holiday, that word of mouth will be especially important for MY0.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
Oh, I want to play this, looks interesting, If it turns out real good prolly will buy it, if not gamepass it is.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, despite the wording, this is just effectively out tomorrow on PC right, don't need to "preorder" it today, I can say, wait for people to play it for 12 hours and buy it the next day and get instant access?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
So, despite the wording, this is just effectively out tomorrow on PC right, don't need to "preorder" it today, I can say, wait for people to play it for 12 hours and buy it the next day and get instant access?

I think so. Buying it late tomorrow would still be, technically, preordering the game before the normal release of December 4th.

Does Steam even have the ability to open access for preorders and close it again? Don't recall seeing that before.

Last edited:

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those games where hard difficulty, not normal, is tagged as the "intended experience". Always comes across weird to me.

G9BRV3h.jpg

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It'll be interesting to watch how Game Pass impacts this game. Have to figure it being a smaller release, and with press working on GOTY content and other prep for the holiday, that word of mouth will be especially important for MY0.
I'm re-upping my Game Pass on December 4 specifically for this game. It looks really great and I almost feel guilty doing it, but that's what Game Pass is for, right?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Why is that? I mean, the intended experience of the developer weirding you out, is it because it's written?

Because IMO the intended experience should be 'normal', because that's the default and what most people will play. Then you add something easier and something harder than the "intended experience" to balance it out in both directions.

Yes, you have "Iron mutant", but that's a different mode.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure when reviews will drop but when they do it will be PC only. Console codes aren't being sent out until launch day.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
eddy I see, but maybe that's because the intended experience of the developer is supposed to be hard and putting that same amount of difficulty on the label "normal" would make people uncomfortable? Like, I assume, most people play games on normal and then most of them would be like "why is this game so hard if it's normal" "Am I terrible at this kind of games?" " I don't have time to bother with this", maybe even some of the would drop the game because of that, would not want to start over or play on easy because that's for "babyz". I don't know, I don't think a developer's vision should be modified to gather to a broader audience, so, if the dev wants the intended experience to be hard and explicitly say "this is the way we want you to play our game", that's great! That's what I love about DKC:TF's Funky mode of Celeste's assist mode, because you know the intended experience of the developers of the game, and the other modes are for people that can't or don't want to play on that difficulty level but still want to experience the game, that way you don't have to have 6 tiers of difficulty which can lead to really different experiences with the game.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Wait, you get it tomorrow if you Preorder? I was unaware, I might do that later tonight. Should be wrapping up DS3 pretty soon If I could just find the next dang Sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.