• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

In Zelda games with voice acting, does Link need to speak too?

• Hell yes

Votes: 385 26.5%
  • Keep him mute

Votes: 1,066 73.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I just finished Breath of the Wild (wonderful game) with all the memories.

The game has one glaring issue for me: Link as a mute does not work where there is actual voice acting. You can get away with it when it's just text, but it's so damn weird to watch everyone, especially Zelda, effectively talking to themselves while Link stares blankly at them.

Do you agree? Does Link in a Zelda game with voice acting need to speak as well?

Edit: And I've only felt this way with Breath of the Wild.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Nah. Link being quiet is best.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Nah, because by giving him a voice, you're giving him more of his own personality, and in that regard I'm just too concerned about Nintendo screwing it up.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Only if we get Super Mario Bros. Super Show sassy Link, and I am not even kidding I would be so on board for that.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The Breath of the Wild cutscenes made it super awkward and weird. There's a journal where Zelda says he's actually just a quiet, reserved guy, and that seems like it would be fine and faithful vs. making him straight up mute in key moments. Could've even been a climax moment you know, when Zelda asks if he recognizes her at the end - all he'd have to say is "yes".

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Either cut the dialogue or let Link participate in it. This awkward dead zone where Link stands around like a mannequin while people talk at him is just...bad. Worst of both worlds.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Mute Link needed to go two generations ago. These days people just assume that this limitation is something envisioned that helps the immersion and they probably would fight to make the things like that forever.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get rid of voice acting all together again tbh. Playing link's awakening made me realize how much nicer it is compared to botw's voice acting.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
7d189907916dfb8a8aa715d3204875bda74b94b6_hq.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Nah, because by giving him a voice, you're giving him more of his own personality, and in that regard I'm just too concerned about Nintendo screwing it up.
But did you find all those cut scenes in Breath of the Wild weird when Zelda is emoting and sharing her feelings with expressive voice acting, followed by mute pauses from Link?

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
B-b-but Link will just say "Excuse me Princess" on a constant loop for 40 hours straight if Nintendo lets him talk. Plus, talking breaks mah iMmErSiOn.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Wind Waker ironically showed that the reason Link is no longer mute is outdated. He was a distinguished character with a personality, not at all meant to be an empty avatar for the player to inhabit. It was also ironic in that, in a Mario RPG way, his miming and expressions were perfectly suitable as a voice in that game.

However, in any other rendition it hasn't worked. TP/SS/BOTW Link being a silent protagonist didn't work anymore. He's now just a weird creepy stilted character that doesn't make sense in the environment anymore.

Dude needs to talk.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

I voted to give him a voice, but this is the truth. I enjoy voiced characters and a good story, but I have little faith in Nintendo doing it well here.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
There is no incentive for Nintendo to change Link and start having him talk at this point. BotW made Zelda as big as the franchise has ever been and making changes just opens the door for Nintendo to make mistakes, upset fans with how they I nterpretate Link would act, or otherwise alienate the fan base.

I just don't see any real benefit and a lot of risk. Personally, I don't feel the need in Link speaking in a game. If they ever decided to do a TV Series or movie, then I may feel different, but it would be very difficult for them to handle IMO.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
If there going to go the mute route, at least go the Persona route where the character actually talks and sometimes even has voiced lines.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
it would help with the shit cutscenes I guess. Don't see how mute Link add to the experience but you still have the problem of the game's utterly nothing writing.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
On one hand, I don't like the idea of Link talking as I think it would give him too much characterization (and I don't think Nintendo would do it well), on the other it is really awkward the way he just looks at people in BOTW while everyone else is talking. It feels like the worst of both worlds in BOTW.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Na, I'm good. I'm fine with there being games where the player character doesn't talk, particularly in open world games.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I could see a case for Twilight Princess Link being voiced but for BotW mute worked for the best.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Agreed. I can't stand it when games imply that your character is speaking and arbitrarily choose to not let you in on it.

If they want to have him largely silent and go with the BOTW diary kind of explanation? Absolutely, it's great. But at least have a bit of dialogue here and there. It's entirely out of place now that others are occasionally voiced.

Deleted member 57020

Banned
May 25, 2019
He's a self-insert with occasional dialogue options. Even if he wasn't mute, it wouldn't dramatically make the games any better.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
remember that people loved Isaac Clarke in Dead Space because he didn'rt talk but hated him in Dead Space 2 when he started talking?

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that mute Link needs to go, it's that Link should have not been playable at all in Breath of the Wild. It's clear that this was meant to be Zelda's story and thus it would have been much better if she was playable.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind if he has some lines. But silent type is preferred.

Also, only if they cast, and or direct, better for voice acting.