• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

In Zelda games with voice acting, does Link need to speak too?

• Hell yes

Votes: 385 26.5%
  • Keep him mute

Votes: 1,066 73.5%

• Total voters

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, because all it will end in is some Saturday morning-tier VO that'll make me cringe every time he opens his mouth. I like the silent, animated approach they have going and I hope they don't ever change it.

ProfessorLv10

One Winged Slayer
May 27, 2019
I don't think that Link talking would add anything significant. Most of the time we spend as Link is when he is alone in the wild. It would be super annoying if he commented on his environment all the time.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
If BOTW represents the level of voice acting quality we can expect in future Zelda games, then frankly everyone should be mute.
Honestly, the vocie acting quality varied greatly between the languages. I haven't tried them all (English, Japanese, French, Spanish, Latin American Spanish) but I would say that: English is simply bad, Japanese/French/Spanish are good to great depending on the character, LatAm Spanish is fantastic

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If everybody else is voice acted, Link should be as well. The cutscenes in BOTW were dumb because of it.

DoctorDave

Nov 6, 2019
Link is the very definition of the stereotypical silent protagonist who is an extension of the player into the game world (hence his name). Zelda games have never been about Link himself and in my humble opinion, you're playing the wrong series if what you're looking for is a protagonist that emotes and voices his opinions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Link is the very definition of the stereotypical silent protagonist who is an extension of the player into the game world (hence his name). Zelda games have never been about Link himself and in my humble opinion, you're playing the wrong series if what you're looking for is a protagonist that emotes and voices his opinions.
Do you think the approach they took with BotW for the voice acted cutscenes worked well? Or was it weird when mute expressionless Link just stands there when people are talking to him? They should either have everyone be text only, or build the cutscenes so Link can be reacting without speaking, or they're going to have characters talking to him, then give him some minimal dialogue.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Silent protagonists suck, but Link's probably the one case where I feel like the tradition is strong enough that it should just be maintained. There is no way whatever character you developed for him would leave many people satisfied.

DoctorDave

Nov 6, 2019
Do you think the approach they took with BotW for the voice acted cutscenes worked well? Or was it weird when mute expressionless Link just stands there when people are talking to him? They should either have everyone be text only, or build the cutscenes so Link can be reacting without speaking, or they're going to have characters talking to him, then give him some minimal dialogue.

I thought most BOTW cutscenes were fine in that regard, but of course they should be made in a way where Link isn't expected to react directly to what other characters are saying, or at least not verbally.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Everything VA or nothing VA imo. Everyone but the protagonist speaking is a tired trope that needs to go.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as every other person around him talks and they know how to script it let him be quiet.
This shit worked with Half Life, so why not in Zelda?
Not every game needs to have full dialogue options

effin

Jan 20, 2019
I kind of like the character it ends up creating in BOTW though. Even when a character might say something harsh to him, having him remain silent created a certain stoic, silent, will-endure-anything character type. Voice acting would change people's perceptions of the character in their head too much, and I imagine it varies quite a bit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
As long as every other person around him talks and they know how to script it let him be quiet.
This shit worked with Half Life, so why not in Zelda?
Not every game needs to have full dialogue options
I think for me in half-life it works well because it's first person. In The voice acted cut scenes in breath of the wild, the camera would basically go from expressive voice acted characters talking to link, and then dwell on link's expressionless mute reaction.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Either have everyone be a VA or have no one be a VA.

This shit in BotW is so dumb with someone literally crying or etc. and Link is quiet the whole time lol.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think for me in half-life it works well because it's first person. In The voice acted cut scenes in breath of the wild, the camera would basically go from expressive voice acted characters talking to link, and then dwell on link's expressionless mute reaction.
That's what I mean with "how to script".
How do they script the cutscenes, makes the cuts, maybe use events to cut him off before he could say something, use scenes where he has to be quiet and whatnot. There are many possibilities

Oct 24, 2019
Fuck no. There is no voice they could pick that would feel natural and not piss off most fans.

It's best left as is.

That's like saying Mario needs a fully voiced
Italian man spouting full-length RPG style dialogue. No, he doesn't. Leave it as is, that's part of the enduring charm.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Go either way: (1) full character/appearance creator with "mute" Link or (2) present Link with full spoken dialog.

It felt weird in BOTW with all the voiced speech except from Link. Actually I'd apply the same complaint to DQXI and Eleven, silent protags don't really work in these contexts.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Link talking is weird. I like the idea of him having written dialogue in some areas though, like dialogue options.

Didn't the Japanese version of BOTW write some of the in-game journals to suggest they're from Link's perspective?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild was really weird with the way that Link was silent in the cutscenes.
But I also agree that the English voice acting was so bad in BotW that I'd prefer no-one had voice acting, if that's the level of quality they'd have.
Returning to the game and realizing that they patched in the option to change the voice language made it far more tolerable (in Japanese). But Link being silent was still weird.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Imagine you being the person who has to find the right voice for Link... and with that, you also have to think about localization. All you folks would immediately riot if the voice isn't exactly what YOU imagined it'd be. I sorta understand why Nintendo is just keeping him mute.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo has proven time and time again that they can't/won't hire good voice actors. Keep him mute.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
I mean... I disagree, but the heart wants what the heart wants I suppose

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Imagine you being the person who has to find the right voice for Link... and with that, you also have to think about localization. All you folks would immediately riot if the voice isn't exactly what YOU imagined it'd be. I sorta understand why Nintendo is just keeping him mute.
Yep. Just look at Zelda.

Then it would be about how much or how little he talks.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
I think there's a reason why there are so many fan-made animation videos or drawings of Mario and Zelda characters. And the reason of this is that those characters are mostly mute and thus make them open personalities and likeable. Everyone can create their own stories with those characters.

I would prefer if Link stays mute

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I just finished Breath of the Wild (wonderful game) with all the memories.

The game has one glaring issue for me: Link as a mute does not work where there is actual voice acting. You can get away with it when it's just text, but it's so damn weird to watch everyone, especially Zelda, effectively talking to themselves while Link stares blankly at them.

Do you agree? Does Link in a Zelda game with voice acting need to speak as well?

Edit: And I've only felt this way with Breath of the Wild.
I can feel im the one really exploring this wonderful world only because Link is mute.

I hate talkative characters, i don't want a cinematic experience, i want to explore and to feel the sense of isolation.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
What would actually be super cool is to just roll with it and additionally have him use sign-language instead.

It could even be used as a system in the game and people would be able to learn sign-language as a side effect.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I mean yeah I've wanted that for a while now, he pretty much already has a defined personality might as well let him talk.

He doesn't have to be talkative just give him some lines in important cutscenes.