• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did you choose to associate with the less toxic influences on your own, after some kind of realization? Or did you fall into a less toxic group somehow and realize how much better people can be?

It's more like the latter for me. I just found myself in that circle of less toxic influences as I grew up and got into my post-secondary institution. I straight up just fell into a less toxic friend group and realized how much better people can be. I found a partner who wasn't afraid to make me question my views, and I found that in my educators and in the media-influences I enjoyed too. There are countless articles about David Duke's god-son and having the same thing happen to him, although he came from a much more extreme place than I.

Growing up in Alberta of all places, the toxic masculinity, the conservative religious values, they just felt like the norm, and I was reluctant to deviate from it all. Having people tell me that I'm wrong, and being given a second chance helps a lot... Though I know first hand that doesn't always work.

Some people are just selfish, stubborn assholes who refuse any change whatsoever.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
A lot of posters have said how this forum has helped turn their past bad ideology or perspectives around.
I've been on here for about a year. I'm a conservative, and so far I'm not seeing any change with myself. I also don't get into politics a whole lot. Is there anything that needs to be done?

Oct 30, 2017
They probably think you're brainwashed too, for what its worth. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
The youtube algorithm is completely it, and a lot of people in the modern age both young and old literally believe everything they see on youtube as a fact.

My father unfortunately is like that in regards to YouTube, after two accidents where he hit his head, he'll treat stuff from channels like BREAKING NEWS 365 as truth, or select CNN Republicans saying "this person is crazy".

I've repeatedly had to nuke his ghost out on the site due to Google's algorithm. Thankfully he can't be arsed to vote, though.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
That's not true, I'm actually more of egalitarian; I'm not left or right, but I want everyone around the globe to be equal and have equal rights. See I don't really care what happens on the left side of the community or the right side of the community, I just want everyone to be happy, which is something you cannot do possibly. Still, I can dream.

I uh, I disregard my previous post. Sorry you all had to see that.

Forearms

Oct 25, 2017
That's not true, I'm actually more of egalitarian; I'm not left or right, but I want everyone around the globe to be equal and have equal rights. See I don't really care what happens on the left side of the community or the right side of the community, I just want everyone to be happy, which is something you cannot do possibly. Still, I can dream.

This isn't realistic, and failing to support the progressive party in a two party system means you're actively contributing to the suffering of the people the regressive party is hurting.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Would any of us know if we're brainwashed?
I dont think anyone would see it this way if they live in a bubble.

It's scary to think young guys (generally speaking) are at risk if they are not monitored what they grow up tuning into with the amount of online content out there. Kinda sad and scary it's the new thing to worry as a parent now a days.

I feel really bad for the op. Without parental guidance and lack of some supervision in online "diet" taking, young men are likely to turn for the worse.

I guess it's the parents fault if they are projecting their hateful views or lack of "parenting" to put it in other terms. I know someone who is a Republican and brags how his kids "made their own opinion" about politics (they are 13 and 15) Where the oldest pretty much spewing Trump shit like build the wall etc and I just know his dad either fed him that shit or he invigorated those views. I mean I'm not gonna call him our for that but I can tell he brainwashed his kids or since he thinks the same, let's them watch fox news Daily. This is someone who used to say Obama was a "king" and would never give up power...

If I ever have kids, I'm damn straight gonna make sure that they aren't zoning into racist shit and steer them the right direction while giving them space as they grow up older. It's even more important like I said before. It's sad like you need gotta keep these asshole from the Internet from getting into your child's head. (may sound easier than said who knows)

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
I've been on here for about a year. I'm a conservative, and so far I'm not seeing any change with myself. I also don't get into politics a whole lot. Is there anything that needs to be done?
I was the same. I voted Republican since GW Bush in 1992 all the way up to McCain in 2012. After spending time on a previous gaming forum, and ERA, I came to be exposed to people and and their experiences I'd not been exposed to before. Basically, I spent a lot of time reading threads in etcetera. I was really late to the game in being at least somewhat 'woke', and am happy to say I still learn a little each day thanks to the awesome, diverse crowd in this forum.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This will explain it:

https://www.amazon.com/Shallows-What-Internet-Doing-Brains-ebook/dp/B003R7L90I

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127370598

I'd write a long essay on it, but I'm too tipsy from a wine happy hour lol.

But basically the internet is re-wiring our brains (don't like that term as it's not scientifically accurate but close enough). So soundbite style POVs are easier to develop.

For example, racism is incredibly complex. There's not just white on black racism, but colorism in Latin America and so on. Unfortunately, the internet idea economy can't deal with these complex topics in a nuanced fashion, so you have extremism prevailing since extremism shouts the loudest and gets the most attention.

For your brothers, you will just need to be patient, have long discussions with them. Talk about your POVs and so on. It requires patience, but it will be a chance to articulate your opinion and also have long conversation with them, a dying art. Hope is not lost.

Last edited:

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
I was the same. I voted Republican since GW Bush in 1992 all the way up to McCain in 2012. After spending time on a previous gaming forum, and ERA, I came to be exposed to people and and their experiences I'd not been exposed to before. Basically, I spent a lot of time reading threads in etcetera. I was really late to the game in being at least somewhat 'woke', and am happy to say I still learn a little each day thanks to the awesome, diverse crowd in this forum.
It's great to know there's people like you, as well as everyone else here. I may not change immediately, but someday, after coming on here everyday more and experiencing what daily news Era brings us, there's a chance.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You are definitely not conservative. But if you want to see this everyone is equal dream, vote for the party that is doing more to give all people a fighting chance and not just the wealthy and/or white people.

edit: forgot the NOT

Last edited:
OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how OP and her siblings have been since the thread was posted. Also, I saw no mention of a second parent.

I'm still around, nothing interesting has happened. My mom died several years ago. Her absence might be connected to this, in that my brothers became harder and colder and less emotional/empathetic after she died.

Nov 26, 2018
Hey, I wanna offer some condolences, as my mother is a conspiracy theorist and worships every republican since Reagan. I mean this as kindly as possible, but have you considered distancing yourself from your family? Blood gets you so far. It's not fair to your self-health to be in a situation that doesn't care for the real you, just the idea of you as a family member.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I'm still around, nothing interesting has happened. My mom died several years ago. Her absence might be connected to this, in that my brothers became harder and colder and less emotional/empathetic after she died.

Ah, my sincere condolences OP. Also, glad to see you safe and sound and with us.

I am going to provide you a link to a charged thread I created last year containing details of my past. Peruse it at your convenience if you so desire. Like others have said, things change with time and circumstance. Unless, your siblings end up doing harm to others from which there is no walking back, there will always be hope or at least some semblance of it. Someone in my position has to believe that. However, besides time, changes are brought on with evolving circumstances both extraneous and innate in nature. Given the present situation in the household, hopefully your words with reach their cores once they have mingled with others outside their own comfort zones.

Link: https://www.resetera.com/threads/un...-a-personal-anecdote-about-immigration.83072/

If bad comes to worse, hope you have more readily available and effective help. I am truly sorry about your current situation and ensuing frustrations as you are living through it day by day. Hope it works out eventually for the better.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My parents were relatively progressive through out my whole life, they broke with the Democratic Party once or twice before I was born from what they tell me, but other than that they always ensured to instill progressive ideas within myself and my sister. After my dad passed away 8 years ago, there was a pretty notable change in my mom and my sister. It didn't get extreme until Trump was elected and now they're both so far to the right it's strange that they were the ones who originally helped me figure out my political leanings when I was younger. I genuinely don't think they would have changed this much had my dad still been around, so I'd say you're probably spot on in your assessment about your mom. Sorry for you loss there as well.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It's great to know there's people like you, as well as everyone else here. I may not change immediately, but someday, after coming on here everyday more and experiencing what daily news Era brings us, there's a chance.
As someone who had an idiotic libertarian phase in high school, then both sides'd arguments throughout college until I actually started befriending actual real-life minorities while learning how to think critically, let me offer you one piece of advice:

You probably have immediate, negative reaction to certain posts. Step back a minute, breathe, and ask yourself why someone might have held that opinion or even posted in a certain way.

Era's not perfect, but it's definitely reinforced the importance of that lesson for me. Plus it's defaulted me into a listen-first mode on things I don't know shit about, liked the lived experiences of others.

Nov 1, 2017
As a minority who married into a white family, I see this so much. One half are well off and super privileged, and thinks they were owed everything they have. They don't fuss about income inequality while they vacation to Disneyland 4 times a year. The other half are poor whites who blame their current state on minorities and immigrants. Never mind that I myself am an immigrant.
Family get-together are real fun nowadays. I used to just be quiet and ignore the crap(Keep the peace and all), but nowadays I'll jump on any lie and inaccuracy people want to bring up.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
This OP frightens me. Since I'm almost 40, I just have no concept on how kids are being influenced by the Internet. But what's weird is, I guess some people have always been like this, pre-Internet.

Take my Dad for example. Never so much as ever touched a computer. But he gets all his political views from talk radio (Rush Limbaugh mostly I guess) and probably Fox News.

He almost came to blows with my older brother (who's liberal-ish) a few years back when the topic of Obama came up. Like, my Dad got so mad it almost got physical. So I guess that kind of attitude has always existed, but the Internet has multiplied it (or at least, given the ability for like-minded people to congregate virtually). In my Dad's day, he'd probably sit at the local bar and complain to the 8 people there about "libruls". But now, you can go to a website with thousands of others and do that.

It's scary.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Well BDS your father is probably set in his ways at his age, that's usually how it works. All of your brothers may change their views over time depending on their influences since they are younger, even the ones you think are entrenched for good.

Have you read the book "No Is Not Enough" by Naomi Klein? Basically it offers some ideas on how we can try to come together on common issues in this current political climate. The poster entremet also posted a link to that book about how the Internet age is also causing humans to think differently, which may also be a good option. Personally I've been worried how current technology is both changing humanity for the better and worse; as in it has brought us closer together as a species through ease of communication all over the world, but it is easier also falling into the trap of being less reflective of ourselves. Ultimately society and we as humans are going through some rapid shifts in our evolution.

If you're going to have discussions with them, just ease into those conversations. From your observations and what you wrote, you don't seem like a confrontational person and that will be the best way to go about having those discussions.

There are also plenty of documentaries you could watch (maybe recommend them?) on any number of topics, either uplifting or on serious topics. (25 Tech documentaries , Abby Martin Documentaries (especially the ones that expose Trump's deceptions, but also covers environmental issues and war), 3 Lessons of Love In a Time of Rage TedTalk, Why I'm Done Being Man Enough TedTalk, The War You Don't See (Anti-War) by John Pilger, Requiem For an American Dream (Netflix Doc).