• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dad is a typical "Reagan Republican" who supports the GOP as long as he can keep his taxes low because he's rich. He's also a whiny old white man who thinks the world is out to get him, but generally he's probably towards the center of the current Republican spectrum.

The same can't be said for my three brothers. Like thousands of other young white men in the United States and abroad, they've been slowly brainwashed by a steady diet of extreme right-wing content on Youtube and social media. All three of my brothers are younger than I am, and they don't respect me (my dad always shit-talks my left-wing politics) or care about my input, so they're beyond my help. My brothers idolize my dad and view his conservative worldview as gospel.

One of my brothers, who recently graduated from college, is training to be a cop. He's been on the Trump train since the summer of 2015 and was the original Trump devotee when my dad was still staunchly a Never-Trumper. Not previously politically active, I'm not sure how he came under Trump's spell. Another of my brothers, soon to graduate high school, is even more extreme. He's reclusive, has few friends, and spends all day in his room on the computer. He often makes extremely offensive, violent, and disturbing "jokes" about PoC, LGBT people, etc and is basically a 4channer. I sometimes find myself afraid that he'll snap one day and shoot up a school, because he fits the profile to a T.

My third brother is in his mid-teens, and is the reason I'm making this thread. He's always been the friendly, outgoing one, and had a gentle heart. We had a good relationship for a while, and I felt like I could exert some influence on him to point him in the right direction regarding respect for women and all the other difficult things that young men are having trouble with in today's toxic masculine world. But when he started going through those typical teenage mood swings, he pulled away from me and fell under the influence of my brothers and dad, and soon enough he was watching Ben Shapiro and other right-wing garbage on Youtube. It was too late for me to reach him.

One day a couple weeks ago, my brother got annoyed at me over an incredibly minor and petty issue. His preferred solution to this issue was to get in my face and start screaming at me. Obviously, my brothers are all much bigger than me and while I wasn't necessarily "afraid," this was very uncharacteristic behavior that was totally disproportionate to the perceived slight. He learned from somewhere that the appropriate resolution to a problem is to physically intimidate the person. My eldest brother (the cop) decided to go speak with him on my behalf and apparently my youngest brother went on a rambling tirade about how "people like [me] are destroying this country." This was very heartbreaking behavior from my baby brother who has now been turned into some roid-raging macho asshole by the extreme right. My dad is unconcerned, obviously. I warned him that he needs to teach my brother that this kind of behavior directed at a girlfriend or co-worker will get the cops called on him, but he still seemed largely disinterested in believing this was a larger problem.

What do we do about this shit? You have impressionable kids who are confused about their place in the world and don't understand rapidly shifting social, economic, racial, and gender divides and are having their minds warped by psychotic, bigoted adults via the internet. By the time their parents or family can intervene, it's too late.

I don't know. Monitor your kid's internet usage, I guess. Try to sit down and talk with them from time to time about their thoughts on the issues of the day. Teenagers are more politically aware than you give them credit for. Give them an outlet to speak with you about their views and concerns. If you don't have these conversations with your kids, some right-wing psychopath on Youtube will gladly do it for you.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. Monitor your kid's internet usage, I guess. Try to sit down and talk with them from time to time about their thoughts on the issues of the day. Teenagers are more politically aware than you give them credit for. Give them an outlet to speak with you about their views and concerns. If you don't have these conversations with your kids, some right-wing psychopath on Youtube will gladly do it for you.
100% this. Well-said.

This piece is also worth reading... not sure it's worth a separate thread.
https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/youtube-red-pill-men-right-wing-hate-radicalization

Deleted member 5545

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It goes beyond internet use. I'm sure it's spreading just as much through high school lunch chatter.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. I really don't. Just, that sucks.

I'm glad I missed the Trump crazy train. As a former Republican who was especially depressed and vulnerable in my late teens, I could have been caught up in this bullshit. I went on 4chan, I didn't have a lot of friends in high school. I was and am kind of a loser. But somehow I was old enough or independent enough to not fall for it.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I do not allow my children any social media or youtube access. I'm really unsure what age I should allow them access to things like Youtube... sounds like it's brain poison all around. How depressing.

It goes beyond internet use. I'm sure it's spreading just as much through high school lunch chatter.
This is true, my older kid tells me a lot of classmates say pro-Trump stuff a lot. Learned from their fox news watching parents no doubt.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah monitoring their internet usage is good. Your father doesnt seem interested in that let alone how to do that. There is also the outside influence from friends in real life and such. I am sure your younger HS brother has friends who also have parents that hold similar views.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
How old are you OP? Not to sound condescending but from your post it sounds like you're still in high school?

If that's the case, there really isn't much you can do except put up with it until you're in a place where you can move out.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
The sad truth is no matter how hard you try to stop stuff like this from influencing your siblings or children, it always finds a way to sneak into your lives.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah my cousin at 6 suddenly brought up how water is making the frogs gay last year and I was horrified wondering who told him that. His older bros around 3 and 5 years older told me he's been watching info wars and try to get him to stop. And recently his 2nd eldest brother mentioned how he said loudly "eww black people" to black people while they were at a store.

And keep in mind they're brown. Was horrified hearing how at such a young age he was learning some horrifying behavior and the parents aren't doing anything about it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so sorry man. Your situation sounds fucking awful since you're literally outnumbered and out-muscled =/

How old are you OP? Not to sound condescending but from your post it sounds like you're still in high school?

If that's the case, there really isn't much you can do except put up with it until you're in a place where you can move out.
Her younger brother is a college graduate. OP is an adult.

Edit: My apologies, forgot OP was a woman. That makes this situation even worse. Ugh.

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to hear about your family.

I'll say this-as a father who is raising a daughter in this world-I'm terrified for the men she's going to meet when she's older.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
We will never have decent societies (I mean, consisting of lot of decent people, I know it's never been perfect) because of YouTube and social media.

Seriously, I don't think I'm exaggerating.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad you at least managed to escape the cycle, OP. Even if you can't help your brothers, there's still a lot of good you can do being active and educating people of what you've seen firsthand.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Preventative actions are really the only way to go. I am lucky, and never got further than the SJW/PC type before turning back, but even those types of videos can be dangerous. It's a gradual build up to hate instead of a sudden shift, so maybe there's something that can be done about your younger brother.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Get the youngest brother to read this forum. Seriously, it could help.
This forum, and GAF before the split, is routinely made fun of on 4chan and others for being a "SJW soy boy" center. I wouldn't be surprised if the brothers have seen Era mentioned negatively already. I'm not disagreeing entirely but it might have the opposite effect.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not his biggest fan, but I would recommend you trying to get him to watch some of Destiny's debates with right wingers.

He's pretty great at breaking down their arguments and showing just how shallow of an understanding they have of politics.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
This forum, and GAF before the split, is routinely made fun of on 4chan and others for being a "SJW soy boy" center. I wouldn't be surprised if the brothers have seen Era mentioned negatively already. I'm not disagreeing entirely but it might have the opposite effect.
I do remember there being a subreddit dedicated to making fun of GAF users. I believe it was closed due to some privacy issues.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
honestly at this point I blame the lack of punk rock.

when I was a white middle class teenager I had stuff like NOFX and bad religion telling me to not trust the government.

now white middle class teenagers have other white middle class teenagers making jokes about minorities and women and some of those stupid fucks are believing it.

teenage angst and hate isn't being pointed at the correct place anymore.

internet is a scary place.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I'm sorry to hear he's acting like this. Hopefully a good portion of his behavior is just typical douchebag teenage stuff and will fade away once he gets older.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I can empathize on some level, being one of the very few liberal thinkers in a very conservative family. The only other liberals I know are some cousins who I rarely ever see (due to geography). Meanwhile my sister bonds with my dad over Ann Coulter and my parents and nearby relatives consume a steady diet of Fox News and conservative talk radio. It's incredibly depressing.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
The truth does not always win out even when we have a free internet. It is extremely disturbing and must be fixed before the world is doomed.

It might already be too late.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Sadly most people underestimate the importance of teaching from the very beginning of a kid's life. Having a solid moral compass before entering the world of social media helps a lot, because I honestly don't think (heavy) monitoring works.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not his biggest fan, but I would recommend you trying to get him to watch some of Destiny's debates with right wingers.

He's pretty great at breaking down their arguments and showing just how shallow of an understanding they have of politics.

This is probably your best bet. Say what you will abiut Destiny as a person, but he knows how to shut down the other side and make them look like fools. Honestly his edginess probably helps him convert more to our side since that's the language the right wingers know.

Ghostmaster

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree with the last paragraph there are also a couple of weird statements in this OP.

"All three of my brothers are younger than I am, and they don't respect me (my dad always shit-talks my left-wing politics) or care about my input, so they're beyond my help. My brothers idolize my dad and view his conservative worldview as gospel."

While your brothers will obviously idolize your father the most; you are the next in line, the eldest brother, most of the time younger brothers look up to older brothers.(granted that phase has probably passed for your older brothers but probably not for the youngest one) And if you can't help them then who can?

"One day a couple weeks ago, my brother got annoyed at me over an incredibly minor and petty issue. His preferred solution to this issue was to get in my face and start screaming at me. Obviously, my brothers are all much bigger than me and while I wasn't necessarily "afraid," this was very uncharacteristic behavior that was totally disproportionate to the perceived slight."

I'm not sure about why it's obvious that all your brothers are bigger than you since you are the oldestone; but regardless, despite it being "scary" you shouldn't just back down from conflict with them, this is literally what they are hearing from Youtube(shouting down opposition) and your father, so backing down just enforces their belief that they are right.

I'm sorry if this seems too much like victim blaming and that I'm blaming you OP, especially since I don't know the whole situation. But in my circles, blood is thicker than water and you fight for your family tooth and nail(especially siblings) even from themselves(the only exception might be some extreme situations like murder, but shitty youtubers - fuck that). This is why the concept of "beyond my help" is weird to see in these threads about close family members. If you can't help them then who can, after all you know them better than most people.

I get that this is meant as a cautionary tale for other people but I also hate the fact that you might lose 3-three brothers to Yotube hate preachers and a shitty dad.

Oct 25, 2017
honestly at this point I blame the lack of punk rock.

when I was a white middle class teenager I had stuff like NOFX and bad religion telling me to not trust the government.

now white middle class teenagers have other white middle class teenagers making jokes about minorities and women and some of those stupid fucks are believing it.

teenage angst and hate isn't being pointed at the correct place anymore.

internet is a scary place.

You know, this is actually a good point.

Anyways, OP, sorry to hear about all your troubles with the fam. Sounds like all you can hope for is continuing being you and hopefully they can see you as a positive role model and you can shake the youngest out of this

Kappa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a post Facebook world this is sadly the reality that we are moving into. We have lost the digital front to this behavior and it's only going to get worse with the availability of global echochambers

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
While your brothers will obviously idolize your father the most; you are the next in line, the eldest brother, most of the time younger brothers look up to older brothers.(granted that phase has probably passed for your older brothers but probably not for the youngest one) And if you can't help them then who can?

OP is a girl, so they probably don't look up to her if they've really drank the kool-aid

I'm not sure about why it's obvious that all your brothers are bigger than you since you are the oldestone;

Because OP is a girl

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks to hear. It's genuinely depressing to see how effective YouTube (and social media more broadly) has been as a right-wing platform.

Anybody that claimed these stances were on the decline and would die out with the boomers or whatever needs to be eating crow.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I think you're placing a bit too much of the blame on YouTube and the internet. Your father laid the foundation for this. Your siblings just walked the path laid out in front of them.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know how you feel OP, my entire family (entire, I'm not only talking about brother and parents, cousins and uncles/aunt too) are extreme right who 100% supports Bolsonaro. I even made a thread here where my father and my brother even threatened physical altercation with me, while my mother was gaslighting me like I was some kind of mentally disabled person for defending myself, only because I was going against their political views. And I'm in my 20s.

It's a shame, because the extreme right often supports the quickest "solution" to a problem, without regards to human lives that aren't of their kind, the amount of content on internet that radicalize the young into the alt-right is just fucking disgusting.

I feel sorry for your household, but I learned the hardest way that no one is excused of shitty political views, especially family. Because of that I don't really feel bad of taking advantage of my wealthy family status. I'm bidding my time until I can move out of here.

Oct 27, 2017
Dude ain't you black? How the hell have the fell for that horseshit. I know we ain't immune but shit:/

I truly worry about future generations, the indoctrination is already in full effect and it because companies don't care to moderate hate because they value money. Then the government won't do shit. We're in a lose lose situation.

Ghostmaster

Oct 25, 2017
OP is a girl, so they probably don't look up to her if they've really drank the kool-aid

Because OP is a girl
Oh ok, didn't pick up on it in the OP. I do think that the oldest sibling still has a big influence from an early age, but yeah if the father has been feeding them shitty things about women as well then that could be rough.

Sorry OP, that is a shitty situation, would still recommend you give a go at reaching out to your youngest brother at least.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah would hardly blame the internet on this one if your father is already a staunch GOP supporter, they were already fighting a very extreme uphill battle, GOP center is still pretty alt right bullshit

Get the youngest brother to read this forum. Seriously, it could help.

Going from Alt right to no offense guys but slightly extreme left forum, in a place that most definitely does not tend to allow opinions that aren't already on the left side of things is probably not the way to go, even redirecting him to a youtuber like contrapoints (you know that one run by a transwoman) would probably be more acceptable to her brothers than this forum.
You do it by steps, and they seem pretty set on alt right, so something milder would probably be better.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
All over my kid's usage and YouTube history. They suggested far too many alt right (sjw gets owned) videos on my profile for me not to keep an eye on it. I don't even watch anything like that.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're taking away their agency by saying they were brainwashed and I think that's incorrect.

They have a large role in their own beliefs and they are responsible for them.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of posters have said how this forum has helped turn their past bad ideology or perspectives around.
It does help. It helped me see a lot of things in a clearer light. There's a reason Mods give out warnings or temp bans.

I still do think some users aren't that welcoming in terms of trying to help people understand things, but that's the internet practically in any forum.

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is one of the many reasons, that it's very important we impeach Trump.

History needs to show that we rejected this filth.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Children generally have the same ideology of their parents.

I'd blame your father first and foremost

Ghostmaster

Oct 25, 2017
You're taking away their agency by saying they were brainwashed and I think that's incorrect.

They have a large role in their own beliefs and they are responsible for them.
This entirely depends on the age that heavy influence started being applied on them.
If father started grooming them since they were first graders and then youtube picked up when they were in high school then I would definitely call that brainwashing.