• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Every time I try to play video games at home, my cat wants attention. I understand that the poor thing doesn't get to see me much between my classes and practice, but she really is quite a handful. I usually end up playing with her more than the Playstation! Does anyone else have pets? Do they let you play games?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
train your cat to play video games
my cats give the impression they hate me so

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
56721.jpg

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Same, whenever the console is on it becomes the time to pet. Thankfully Im quite a multitasker.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Where are the kitty pics? This thread is disappointing!

Advice: Play round based MP games. Every time you die it's petting time. You kitty gets attention and you can calm down. It's a win win situation.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Get some toys for the cat, cover them in cat nip. Brushing your cat will also make it relax some

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
The solution is adopting a second kitty. That way they're playing with each the entire time you're away.

By the time you come home; they'll just want to sleep quietly next to you while you play your games.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My cats usually climb me while playing but it doesn't get in the way. Then they cuddle up to me if I'm on the sofa or just lay on my lap if I'm playing on the PC.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Every time I try to play video games at home, my cat wants attention. I understand that the poor thing doesn't get to see me much between my classes and practice, but she really is quite a handful. I usually end up playing with her more than the Playstation! Does anyone else have pets? Do they let you play games?

Get another cat. Cats are social creatures and being alone for long stretches of time is stressful to them. Just get another one and they'll play and learn together, it's the best. :)

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
Is your name Ryan Letorneau and do you have two cats called Ryuka and Tomo? Because your situation is the same as Northernlion's.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
My cat immediately wants to sit on my lap the moment I turn on a console, but other than rubbing her face against the controller it's fine. I'm guessing your cat'll stop seeking attention so actively after some time and just be content to hang out.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
My (little) dog wants always to play... so I use my feet to throw him the tennis ball, and my hands to play videogame... so everyone is happy! :D

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Whenever my cat used to interrupt my gaming session I made sure to give it enough attention that it would curl up in my lap and settle until it eventually fell asleep. I got so used to it I started to forget he was there, so he always scared the living shit out of me with his REM sleep twitching.

Had him since I was 5, sadly he passed away last fall at 21 years old. Nothing will ever replace him, and I'm sure I'll never be gifted with a better pet for the rest of my life.

R.I.P Buster, 1997-2018

vBkvn1U.jpg

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
My friend's cat gets PISSED when we're playing video games and I stop pampering her. Scratched the hell out of my arm once but then sat on my lap and purred away. Brat.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Mine does a similar thing at night, he comes and tries to sit on my lap or across my forearms and controller

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Yep, mine will either stare me down hard like they want me to play or park in my lap while I'm playing.

The WORST is playing VR with cats in the house. Almost literally had a heart attack when my cat, Dudebro, jumped on my back during a Resident Evil 7 session.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Whenever my cat used to interrupt my gaming session I made sure to give it enough attention that it would curl up in my lap and settle until it eventually fell asleep. I got so used to it I started to forget he was there, so he always scared the living shit out of me with his REM sleep twitching.

Had him since I was 5, sadly he passed away last fall at 21 years old. Nothing will ever replace him, and I'm sure I'll never be gifted with a better pet for the rest of my life.

R.I.P Buster, 1997-2018

vBkvn1U.jpg
RIP, at least he lived quite a long life.

Jun 2, 2019
My cats don't like me playing video games, but if you ignore them at that time (and only at that time) they will get used to it.

But give him some attention before taking the control pad in your hands, man. Cats are not so individualist as people think

Jan 20, 2019
Oh, this actually happens pretty frequently. You see, your cat isn't so much vying for your attention, as that's something that can be obtained pretty easily.

What your cat actually wants is video games of it's own to play.

Yes, the poor thing is likely just bored and wondering why you don't share a second controller or set up a little kitty console somewhere else in the room.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
My cat dislikes if my attention is elsewhere so just lies on top of the controller. At least I can keep playing unlike when he sprawls on top of a book I'm reading.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Something something Pizza?

My cat is fascinated by things on the screen, as well as the surround sound.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands

R.I.P Buster, 1997-2018

vBkvn1U.jpg
R.i.p. Buster! But 21 years is a very long life in cat years. Dang!

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Needlessly antagonising other member; repeatedly banned for antagonistic behaviours.
Maybe if you're not home often, and when you are home, all you want to do is game, you shouldn't have got a pet?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You get used to it, although one of my cats makes it quite hard sometimes to program at home. She stands on my lap and rubs her face on my beard; she seems to love the texture or something. :D

Maybe if you're not home often, and when you are home, all you want to do is game, you shouldn't have got a pet?

Harsh, but... not entirely unfair.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
When I sit down to play video games the cat that lives in my house will just plop down on my lap and fall asleep. She does this only to me for some reason anytime I sit down if she's nearby she'll curl up in my lap or lay on my leg.
Rqp94Qq.png

dePf2hn.png

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Our cats just have a strong desire to hop onto our lap whenever we sit down to watch TV / play on the console. Especially the lady-cat; It's no big deal though, i just rest the controller on her.

x9thGi7.jpg

C5d9OXb.jpg

2IgP0z2.png

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
There's times where my Beabull will rest his head on my leg, while I'm playing my PC. I'll look down and his eyes are looking straight up at me, while his little stub is wagging like crazy.

He's too adorable for me to ignore.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yep, mine will either stare me down hard like they want me to play or park in my lap while I'm playing.

The WORST is playing VR with cats in the house. Almost literally had a heart attack when my cat, Dudebro, jumped on my back during a Resident Evil 7 session.
Your cat's name is Dudebro?

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
This is rare enough at my household that I don't mind putting down the controller and playing/petting for a few minutes. Most of the time the little cat just takes up residence in my spouse's lap, and the large one lies nearby on the couch. No disruptions there.

In fairness: since we have two cats, they fight play with each other while we're gone.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How can you not post your cat pics with that issue? I mean like Internet needs an excuse to post cat pics.

Dogs must be worse then.