• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The comment wasn't inherently racist, but her feeling the need to make that subsequent comment probably did make it a bit more so, and exposes some of her intentions behind her comments.

People who are racists generally feel the need to say they're not racist, especially when it's an unprompted clarification.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
if she said that she has never found a non-caucasian person attractive, then i'd probably be closer to saying that she's got something going on, but the info in the OP doesn't say all that much to me

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
what-always-follows-the-phrase-im-not-a-racist-but-in-one-chart-full.png

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017

My definition of someone being a racist or not is based on his/her actions and speech, not their preferences. It is much easier to draw a clear line between "is" and "is not".

As an example, I'm a bit of an hair fetishist (meaning it's the primary criteria for me to decide if I find someone beautifull or not), and I dislike frizzled hair. But I never discriminited against anyone, tought of them as inferior or any of that shit, and get normally angry when someone does.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
What a bizarre thread. So, based on idle chitchat on what celebrities your coworkers think are attractive, you're going to throw around accusations that said woman is racist because she only names white men? That "I'm not racist.." comment is a bit suspect, but what does that change, exactly? Are you going to go to HR and complain that your coworker is racist because she said she didn't find Asian and Indian celebrities attractive?

Man, I wish I had the time in my work day to contemplate petty shit like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my. To be fair I seriously doubt anyone born after the 70s is cognizant of these origins.
Even though the term was used by a racist in an obviously racist classification scheme doesn't make the term itself, simply denoting white features, racist.

Using the label "white" is also done in the same exact racist context (i.e. by racists denigrating non-whites) and that doesn't make the label "white" inherently racist,
either.

The poster and the article cited are both very confused takes, conflating the simple labels with their use in racist comparisons by racists.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The need to suddenly point out how they're not racist is certainly questionable to say the least.