• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
BlackFyre

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whether she's racist or not, I'm kinda creeped out by you keeping a mental index of who this woman finds attractive, with examples going back to last year, and then making a thread about it to talk about her. That's some weird behavior on your part.

I don't keep a mental note. It hit me all of a sudden because of her "I'm not a racist" comment. I found that to be highly unusual.
I'm trying to process if someone like this is a racist or not.

I don't usually work with this individual regularly, only when I need a report on something so I don't know her very well.
Our team is majority of women and our meetings tend to turn into celebrities and current event discussions.

So over the past two years you pick up on stuff.

Nov 28, 2017
Dude, I just said he wasn't racist for using the word 'Caucasian'. Without further context I have no idea if the lady in the post is racist or is defending her attraction preferences with awkward language. It just seems like you're trying to 'gotcha' the OP by pointing out that he used a common word in the US to refer to white people that literally no one is offended by. Out of all the reasons to point out why America is racist, using the word Caucasian is not one of them, lmao.
But the word is racist. I sure as hell wouldn't be happy to come to America and to be referred as Caucasian.
Absolutely nothing against Armenians or Georgians, but I am not from there. You might as well call me Russian or Swedish.
It's funny how Americans try to give shit to Europeans for not knowing about some racist words.

But sure, defend the OP for using racist words because he is one of "good guys". Only conseevatives are racist, not someone on ERA who casually goes around calling people racist because of some actor or whatever.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Not finding someone attractive is in no way shape or form any indication that someone is racist. Her saying she doesn't find an actor attractive should in no way attract judgemental looks, or thoughts on your part that she's racist because of it.

The fact that she can only have conversations with white people on your team and is rude to anyone that's not white is an indication that someone is racist.

Just imagine going to HR and reporting her, and in your examples of why she's racist you say she doesn't find Henry Golding and Sidarth Malhotra attractive.

OP
OP
BlackFyre

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the word is racist. I sure as hell wouldn't be happy to come to America and to be referred as Caucasian.
Absolutely nothing against Armenians or Georgians, but I am not from there. You might as well call me Russian or Swedish.
It's funny how Americans try to give shit to Europeans for not knowing about some racist words.

But sure, defend the OP for using racist words because he is one of "good guys". Only conseevatives are racist, not someone on ERA who casually goes around calling people racist because of some actor or whatever.

Bro. I didn't know caucasian is considered racist. Would you prefer I edit my post to say "white" or another word?

I'm not here to make you uncomfortable. Tell me what you'd like.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Idc what people say. If you find entire races unattractive you're racist. No way in hell you can't find one person attractive from another race unless you're holding onto some biases or bigotry.

Nov 17, 2017
Whether she's racist or not, I'm kinda creeped out by you keeping a mental index of who this woman finds attractive, with examples going back to last year, and then making a thread about it to talk about her. That's some weird behavior on your part.
Is it really that weird to remember things that your coworkers tend to do when you see them like 8 hours a day, 5 days a week? I have a coworker that has done a lot of weird things over the years and I remember most of them just because I have a memory.

You're making it sound like OP was sitting in the background with a notepad for a years so he could make this thread. Weirdest attempt at a backfire.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Did you even read the articles you shared? Caucasian is not a racial slur, it has its roots in referring to white people as a superior race and became a catch all term. Trying to elevate it to the level of 'Paki' (which I've been called when I visited England) or the n-word is gross.

Bro. I didn't know caucasian is considered racist. Would you prefer I edit my post to say "white" or another word?

He's being disingenuous. Everyone else knew what you meant and no one was offended. Caucasian is literally listed on job applications in the U.S.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Is it really that weird to remember things that your coworkers tend to do when you see them like 8 hours a day, 5 days a week? I have a coworker that has done a lot of weird things over the years and I remember most of them just because I have a memory.

You're making it sound like OP was sitting in the background with a notepad for a years so he could make this thread. Weirdest attempt at a backfire.
I do think the part where he made a thread about who his coworker finds attractive is very weird, yes. That's fine if you don't agree.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I mean, she might be because she's rude and impatient with people of color as you said, not because she found these two dudes unattractive.

Nov 28, 2017
User banned (5 days): inflammatory generalizations

I don't care. I am not a part of PC police trying to enforce some stupid rules as a lot of people here are.
I am just trying to understand how American minds work, and why a lot of people enjoy calling others racist for every single minor statement, yet unknowingly use similar words.
See, you didn't know. I believe you. And it's OK.
But I feel I see daily threads here on people being called out for racism for stupid little things (not saying that there are no real, blatant examples of racism going on.)

Breakfast Boy

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Ummm you can not be attractive to a race and still not be a racist. I've never been attracted to Native American women or Indian women but I would always treat them with 100% respect.

Not attractive to incredibly skinny or fat women either. Oh and I'm not attracted to men, so I must be a homophobe right?

This idea is lunacy.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a straight dude but I could understand not thinking he's attractive. The beard makes him look like a dirtbag even when he's wearing a tuxedo.

But I've never in my life had to defend myself with the phrase "I'm not racist but..."

OP
OP
BlackFyre

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do think the part where he made a thread about who his coworker finds attractive is very weird, yes. That's fine if you don't agree.

That was in context of her denial of being a racist. I didn't make this thread to say because she doesn't find 2 people attractive that she's racist. It was a trigger for other behaviours that she exhibited in the past that makes me question her.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care. I am not a part of PC police trying to enforce some stupid rules as a lot of people here are.
I am just trying to understand how American minds work, and why a lot of people enjoy calling others racist for every single minor statement, yet unknowingly use similar words.
But I feel I see daily threads here on people being called out for racism for stupid little things (not saying that there are no real, blatant examples of racism going on.)
I think I hear some high pitched noise in the air

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I've never had to state or felt the need to state "I'm not racist" in my entire life.

Not finding other ethnicities attractive doesn't make you racist. Not treating other ethnicities with equal respect does.

Yeah, for her to go to that unprompted, just based on someone looking at her....she's at least suspect.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
That was in context of her denial of being a racist. I didn't make this thread to say because she doesn't find 2 people attractive that she's racist. It was a trigger for other behaviours that she exhibited in the past that makes me question her.

The majority of your post is about it. This kind of thing should have come after giving actual examples of weird behavior that made you think she's racist.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I'm trying to get at, and the point of this thread? If in my mind I label her as a racist, I don't how how it will impact my working relationship with her.

That's why I was asking if I'm reading too much into it.

The real question is does it really matter if she is racist or not? Even if she is, you both still work at the same place and you will have to talk to her. So just keep your conversations work related if you do not personally get along or agree with her.

There are racist people in probably every job and you will have to learn to work with people even if they are racist.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood was the first time I considered Pitt attractive.

Some people attribute attractiveness to race unfortunately. I'm glad I'm one of those people who can see hotness in any region across the globe. Your home girl is tripping.

Black and Brown women >>>>

Nov 17, 2017
Idc what people say. If you find entire races unattractive you're racist. No way in hell you can't find one person attractive from another race unless you're holding onto some biases or bigotry.
Yeah I never got the "I don't find X race attractive." It really makes it out to be like everyone of a specific race looks the same when in reality people of any race can have a broad variety of physical appearance because, well, they're people.

Can you really say across the board you don't find or would never find any person of a race to be attractive? Just like that? As you said, if you can, it means you have some biases or bigotry even if you may not realize it. Too many people think racism is only yelling racial slurs and direct and obvious hatred so they don't think declaring they find an entire race of people unattractive is any type of racism.

Anything else I should do, while you're giving instructions?
Yeah, read the whole OP as well. Also eat breakfast and stay in school.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
man dont insert yourself into convos that dont involve you

just do your work. if you catch someone slipping up in front of you with proof aight then you can go ahead and do your thing. but the topic at hand? over who is and isnt attractive in a convo you aint even inolved in? lmfao dont waste your energy or time

Dec 12, 2017
As an example.
Racist: I don't think Idris Elba is hot because he's black.
Not racist: I don't think Idris Elba is hot for <any reason that doesn't have to do with him being black>.

But this is flawed because racist folks would usually not come right out and say #1. They almost always pivot to some form of #2 to provide themselves with air cover from racist accusations.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for her need to say "I'm not racist" you couldn't 100% make that assumption as she could always have someone from Hollywood who's a minority she finds hot but never had a chance to talk over. Now since she said "I'm not racist" it outright cries she's aware she's only attracted to white men but tries to play it off as a personal preference.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
you don't care so much that you keep posting about it

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I never got the "I don't find X race attractive." It really makes it out to be like everyone of a specific race looks the same when in reality people of any race can have a broad variety of physical appearance because, well, they're people.

Can you really say across the board you don't find or would never find any person of a race to be attractive? Just like that? As you said, if you can, it means you have some biases or bigotry even if you may not realize it. Too many people think racism is only yelling racial slurs and direct and obvious hatred so they don't think declaring they find an entire race of people unattractive is any type of racism.

I agree entirely. I can't imagine the actual rationale behind someone not being attracted to a certain entire race. The only preference that makes sense to me is the psychological / genetic one of preferring one's own race, where you're attracted to people who look similar to you. Beyond that it feels weird to me that someone would say 'I'm not attracted to someone who is Indian/Hispanic/Black' because that spans such a wide range of attributes. So much of racial beauty standards are reinforced by media and people don't want to admit that they can succumb to that.

Of course, there's a difference between "I"m not attracted to" and "I've never been attracted to", some people just don't come across other groups that often.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
She is more than likely racist for the I am not racist comment but who knows what the office culture is like. Possibility exists that she maybe said it because she is worried how the op would perceive an opinion. Need more info to.be sure.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
No it doesn't. If you find comfort in and are attracted to people that look like yourself then that doesn't mean you feel any race is superior to any other. That in itself is not why I think this lady is suspect. It's her jumping to "I'm not racist" and apparently being disrespectful to the non-white people at work.
That's not what you said. You can have your preferences but refusing to find anyone from another race attractive is racist.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm

Googles

Vy0u6iWo_400x400.jpg

One thing is certain: She's insane

Im a white dude and this guy is hot

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
But this is flawed because racist folks would usually not come right out and say #1. They almost always pivot to some form of #2 to provide themselves with air cover from racist accusations.
You still can't judge someone's racial politics, so to speak, based off of any one individual that they do or do not find attractive. It only becomes racist, on its own merits and no other behavior, when you discard an entire race.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had to state or felt the need to state "I'm not racist" in my entire life.

Yeah, people who have this has one of their go to phrases make me raise an eyebrow.

I thought using the word Caucasian is not allowed because it's racist

So I find it hilarious that OP os complaining about racism while being racist himself.

Wow, you're a bore.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ah yes using the term 'caucasian', the true demarcation of the north american racist. absolutely nothing suspect about the guy who incredibly weirdly insists on diverting a topic about how midwestern Karens are probably racist against hot South-East Asian dudes to how people who say 'Caucasian' are actually the real racists

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Idle chit chat with coworkers is a torture in hell I am sure

Dec 12, 2017
You still can't judge someone's racial politics, so to speak, based off of any one individual that they do or do not find attractive. It only becomes racist, on its own merits and no other behavior, when you discard an entire race.
And I am saying that racist people are great creating plausible deniability by NOT being as overt as you are saying. It's kinda what they do.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
People on this site will disagree with me but if you have racial preferences for attractiveness and dont find some races attractive at all you are probably some sort of racist
I'm white and I agree. Absolutely nothing wrong with having racial preferences IMO. However, if you can't find any single person of another race attractive other than your own race, yeah you're probably racist. Beauty comes in all colors and people really don't look that different to begin with.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
i was going to give her a pass on her not being attracted to certain guys. My wife doesn't like conventional pretty boys and i know she'd not be as attracted to the guys in the OP over older rugged dudes like Jason Statham and and Idris Elba, but the 'im not racist...' comment usually means the opposite.

Oct 26, 2017
New York

Exactly what I came here to post. You can't generalize an entire race like that when they don't all have the exact same features. That's a sign of a deeper issue if a person can't find anyone from that race attractive.