• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You should propbably put your dog down for acting like an animal and not the human furbaby you wanted him to be.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Yup. When I was a little kid a dachshund killed itself right in front of me by jumping off a trash can. Broke its damn back. Fucked me up for damn near a month.
my oldest dachshund jumped off our back porch and nearly broke his back

he had to use a doggy wheelchair for a year or so, but luckily recovered the use of his back legs

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
My dog killed an ate an entire bunny at the dog park, and again in our backyard. To the victor goes the spoils. It happens.

nFiygP2_d.jpg

She's my goodest girl too
oM4uAC9.gif

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I wonder if dogs that are exposed to smaller animals from a young age are less likely to have impulses like that or whether the bond is just to the specific animal they're pals with.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I wonder if dogs that are exposed to smaller animals from a young age are less likely to have impulses like that or whether the bond is just to the specific animal they're pals with.
some breeds can bond better than others id imagine

even dachshunds who are raised around small children can be a bit snippy with them, probably just their temperament

but I have friends who raised their dogs around their bunnies and birds the like and there was never any issues

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017

A lot of it comes down to training, but I guess also temperament/breed. My dog has never killed an animal. He has impulses to chase birds and stuff, but even when he's gotten close, he's never killed anything. He is also on a raw food diet, so would have the palette.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If you want a dog with a lower than usual pretty drive, get something that wasn't bred to hunt badgers, like a shih tzu. Being upset with the dog, regretting giving him ice cream, and even wanting to give him away are preposterous reactions to what happened.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
You don't punish your dog for doing things they may be genetically predispositioned to do. Dogs are predators, and will occasionally attack (and eat) small animals. Would you have felt better if it was a rodent, or some other form of vermin?

Oct 27, 2017
I was trying to save those birds, dude. I'm a human doing a human thing.
Like, damn dude. He's always been trademark stubborn and honestly kind of an ass sometimes, but this is the first time I've considered calling up my ex and letting her have him
If he knew you thought this about him for doing something a dog does...I bet he wouldn't be happy.

I'm not exactly being super serious though.

OP
OP
Doober

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I said it crossed my mind, Christ guys. I'm not giving him away and he's not being punished beyond making sure he won't barf everywhere.

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen my dog do this. He's too slow to catch a bird by himself, but I think our chihuahua (who has since past) knocked the bird down and our other dog got it. I tried to get him to drop it, but once animal instinct kicked in there's no way. It was pretty disgusting and it wasn't a small bird by any means.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
A fellow rabbit killer:

http:///hDzd.jpg

It darted past her and before I could do or say anything she grabbed it, snapped its neck, and happily trotted up to me corpse and all. Watcha gonna do :(

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My dog will kill things and not eat them. Over the years I've received many a gift from him. Birds, squirrels and gophers. One time a turtle.

I wish he would stop chaising these squirrels in their prime. He's getting too old for this. He already pulled his doggie acl a few months back.

OP
OP
Doober

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Some dogs can be sweet and friendly... until you get between them and their food.

Then they couldn't give a flying crap about you. All that matters is filling their stomach.

Yeah, he's especially bad about this sort of thing. It's why I can't let him have things like rawhide or tough chews. Once it gets small enough to be dangerous for him it's a fucking fight to get him to give it up. He'd rather try and swallow it and choke to death than let it go.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds a lot cleaner than when my cat let a bleeding bird loose in the house, which it proceeded to smear it's blood and feathers everywhere in a desperate attempt to escape.

Mar 23, 2019
My mini schnauzer pup loves to run and hide under the table anytime she gets ahold of something she shouldn't. We've had to make a habit keeping all the laundry and any paper out of reach.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I said it crossed my mind, Christ guys. I'm not giving him away and he's not being punished beyond making sure he won't barf everywhere.
I know but we just want you to keep in mind it is normal at the end of the day for a lot of dogs and not something you should consider giving him away for unless you keep a lot of other small animals you would worry for.

Even the most adorable sweet natured pupper could do something like this and not out of any particular cruelty.

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with a minature dachshund. My sister had a goldfish that she was given at a young age that lived until it was 18. In it's later life it used to have what looked like mini fits and we were always worried it would jump out of the bowl and the dog would eat it. One morning my dad went in to the kitchen on his way to out to work and found the goldfish dead in the middle of the kitchen floor, our dog was just sat in her bed like nothing happened. She must have noticed it had happened as she was very sensitive to anything passing by outside during the night (like a cat) but despite having once found her with a dead mole in the garden she didn't touch the fish at all. So not sure if that was because she was used to the fish having lived with it for so long or she just hadn't noticed. It was a strange one.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still in a sort of shock. Like, damn dude. He's always been trademark stubborn and honestly kind of an ass sometimes, but this is the first time I've considered calling up my ex and letting her have him. He's never been especially sweet or loving; even now he's just kind of sitting in his crate, looking at me with glassy shark eyes. Not sorry. Like, I love him but... just damn, dude...
LOL no need to sugarcoat it, dude, dachshunds are all shitheads. I grew up with them and many people close to me have or have had one and they're all big pieces of shit. They're also almost impossible to house train from what i can tell.

Some breeds are just assholes.

How old is your dachshund? Slipped a disk in its spine yet?

If not, that's gonna be something fun to look forward to.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dog killed an ate an entire bunny at the dog park, and again in our backyard. To the victor goes the spoils. It happens.

nFiygP2_d.jpg

She's my goodest girl too
Honestly, I like when animals get to be animals and not just conform to our perverted, repressed sense of living.

But they're also stupid as hell and will kill themselves.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I've got a Great Pyrenees. She's a good dog, but dumb as a box of rocks. When she was a couple years old, she was outside sniffing around on a baby bird. I don't know where it came from, but it wasn't big enough to fly. It had feathers, but it couldn't fly and was just hopping around. She smeeled it for a while and poked at it with her nose. I assume she was wanting to play with it. She took her big foot and slammed it down right on top of that poor bird. It made noise for a few seconds, then rolled over on its back and died. I felt bad for that poor little bird for days.

OP
OP
Doober

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
LOL no need to sugarcoat it, dude, dachshunds are all shitheads. I grew up with them and many people close to me have or have had one and they're all big pieces of shit. They're also almost impossible to house train from what i can tell.

Some breeds are just assholes.

How old is your dachshund? Slipped a disk in its spine yet?

If not, that's gonna be something fun to look forward to.

He's almost 6. I give him joint supplements and try to keep him from making big leaps. Not much more I can do there.