• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Doober, last week my basset hound found a baby bird in the backyard, it was feathered but pretty small and couldn't fly yet. My wife tried to shoo it away which alerted the dog and he grabbed the bird in his mouth, wouldn't open even when she tried to pry his mouth open, and swallowed it whole! He didn't puke it up but did have some feathers in his poop the next day. Other than that he was fine, I'm sure your dachshund will be too!
The wife was mortified, but he's been trying to catch a bird his whole life, so at least he achieved his dreams. 🤷‍♂️

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
AeHvNIxr.jpg
He did nothing wrong

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
We seriously fucked up when we bred dachshunds. They have the stubbornness of a rock, super confident and the body of a wet biscuit.

I've met about five in my life and almost all of them fucked themselves up because of their personalities.

Oct 25, 2017
LOL no need to sugarcoat it, dude, dachshunds are all shitheads. I grew up with them and many people close to me have or have had one and they're all big pieces of shit. They're also almost impossible to house train from what i can tell.

Some breeds are just assholes.

How old is your dachshund? Slipped a disk in its spine yet?

If not, that's gonna be something fun to look forward to.
Aww I have a miniature doxie and yeah he's stubborn and independent, but he's immeasurably sweet and clownish more than not. Also, mine is perfectly house trained, seldom an accident (only when he had diarrhea one night)

Also, while yes care needs to be taken of their spines, doxies that succumb to IVDD are genetically predisposed to it, maybe around 1 in 4. And most likely is accelerated by human negligence (holding them like dolls, letting them jump off furniture and run up and down stairs).

A lot of what you say just sound like shitty owners tbh.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
you havent lived you're walking your dog in the evening, and she finds a snake, kills it, then treats it like a rope toy while you try to get it from her.... had a hand on the snake, and the other one on the dog, the dog hand slipped and the snake ripped in half.

I wonder if dogs that are exposed to smaller animals from a young age are less likely to have impulses like that or whether the bond is just to the specific animal they're pals with.
certain breeds just cant handle it. ive only ever had terriers, and its a great excuse to not have cats in the house. my dogs the sweetest thing, but if anything small crosses her nothing will stop that instinct.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Well they are hunters. My brother's one, she's a little 8-pounder and she once killed an entire family of rabbits didn't do anything with the mother just pinched her neck and she went out but the babies in the nest she took out of the hole and proceeded to eat one by one...

My brother was both shocked and surprised she had the quickness to do this while trying to stop her

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the last dachshund i had i originally fostered and decided to keep, she was a sweet girl who wasn't confident in the slightest

her last owner was likely very abusive, the first year i had her she would cower and flinch if you tried to pet her

eventually she only really responded to me and my parents, and would come to us directly for cuddles instead of us picking her up

nicest dachshund i even met/owned

still had a bit of confidence when it came to jumping off stuff, though

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Dachshunds are fucking crazy. I have two of them. I love them so much. Amazing dogs. But they're are batshit insane, and they will eat ANYTHING if given the means and opportunity.

We seriously fucked up when we bred dachshunds. They have the stubbornness of a rock, super confident and the body of a wet biscuit.

I've met about five in my life and almost all of them fucked themselves up because of their personalities.

Yep. The true embodiment of the Napoleon complex. They're hilarious and sweet and amazing, but they're also stubborn little fuckers with no sense of self preservation. They'll leap off five foot ledges or consume mounds of poop if left to their own devices. But they're not stupid, my dogs learn so fucking fast. They just think they're indestructible. Piebolds and dapples, as beautiful as they are, are even more unhinged, psychologically and emotionally. My dapple dachshund is a fucking walking anxiety attack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doober

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Dachshunds are fucking crazy. I have two of them. I love them so much. Amazing dogs. But they're are batshit insane, and they will eat ANYTHING if given the means and opportunity.

I don't know, my parents have a 16-year-old and he's been a sweetheart his whole life. Never killed anything; hell, he fucking loved the baby kittens that feral cats were always leaving around our old house. He'd even bring the sick/abandoned ones to my parents like he wanted them to help or something. He just didn't have a prey drive at all.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol. My friend in hs had a dachshund. Dumbest dog I've ever met. Seriously he was like Santa's little helper from the Simpsons. Blank eyes, nothing there expression. And would eat everything. They had to bring it to vet twice for emergency surgery because of the inedible shit it somehow ate.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, my parents have a 16-year-old and he's been a sweetheart his whole life. Never killed anything; hell, he fucking loved the baby kittens that feral cats were always leaving around our old house. He'd even bring the sick/abandoned ones to my parents like he wanted them to help or something. He just didn't have a prey drive at all.

Neither of mine have killed anything, either. When she was younger, the older of the pair grabbed a baby rabbit in her mouth, then looked at me like, "yiss, I got it! ...what do I do now?" I yelped, and she immediately dropped it and it ran away. I later found what I guess was the same bunny, gutted down the middle by a cat that hung out in the area. :/ But they're just insatiable, either one of them would eat until their stomachs burst if I let them.

Yea and the digging is for hunting too I think. Aren't they bred for ratting

Dachshund is literally German for "badger dog". The standard size would track badgers to their dens, in packs, then dig them the fuck out and rip them to shreds.

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
My dog killed an ate an entire bunny at the dog park, and again in our backyard. To the victor goes the spoils. It happens.

nFiygP2_d.jpg

She's my goodest girl too

Kangal? Anatolian? She's very pretty.

Yeah, he's especially bad about this sort of thing. It's why I can't let him have things like rawhide or tough chews. Once it gets small enough to be dangerous for him it's a fucking fight to get him to give it up. He'd rather try and swallow it and choke to death than let it go.

Um... resource/food aggression is no joke... you should probably work on "drop it." with your dog. Could save a bird's life.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
My Bichon has killed birds and lizards before, but luckily never tried eating them. He's a little killer lol.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, he's especially bad about this sort of thing. It's why I can't let him have things like rawhide or tough chews. Once it gets small enough to be dangerous for him it's a fucking fight to get him to give it up. He'd rather try and swallow it and choke to death than let it go.
The thing is dogs know how to push you as far as they can, they're very good at this, regardless of breed. One thing among all the dogs I've owned/seen at friends' etc. are like this, but you can't let them win. If they're adamantly refusing to give you the affecting object (rawhide that's too small, toy they've broken into and are eating the stuffing/fabric of, whatever.) they know they aren't going to get it back so they'll fight to keep it instead of letting you take it. Usually have to end up giving them something else in exchange depending on how well they're trained to drop stuff. Animals are harder to get them to drop as they're in killer mode at that point. If you just don't want your dog to catch any animals in your backyard anymore, you'll have to go outside prior to letting them out and chase away any animals that are hanging out on the ground, likely your dog ended up catching a bird just hanging on the ground. Just because they can fly doesn't mean they can get away fast enough, dogs are fast when they want to be. I've had to do this when letting my big dog out at night since we'll get raccoons passing through our yard at night occasionally and she's killed one before.

If you need a good alternative to something like a rawhide or tough chew to occupy your dog for a bit just go for the rubber toys (The Kong ones are extremely durable in my experience as I've been using the same one between like three dogs now) that you can stick a treat in and then it's a game for the dog to get it out and gives them a task they can focus on that you don't need to take away from them later, you can just put it away after they're done with it when you go to bed, and to practice dropping things just play fetch, if your dog responds to sit you're already most of the way to getting them to drop something when playing fetch as in my case most of the time my dogs will just drop whatever they're carrying when I order the sit command so if I want them to drop something I start with sit and if they still haven't dropped it that's when I use drop, just don't forget to praise/reward them when they do what you want to, even after it feels like they've learned the command. It likely won't work if they catch an animal again since they're trained to... well, hunt, but working on dropping with fetch with toys can improve their response to when they actually have something you want them to drop.

Dachsunds are high maintenance too so try not to ignore them too much, even if it's something as simple as calling them over to be pet while you sit at your desk or something, or giving them some attention each time you get up.

Last edited:

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
I had a couple dachshunds growing up. In the backyard of one of the suburban houses we lived in, a flock would sometimes line up on the powerline and take turns dive bombing the dogs. They would bottom out just out of their reach - it was like an extreme sport for them. It drove the dogs crazy, as you'd expect. I wasn't present for when it happened, but once, an Icarus got snatched out of the air. My mom says the birds started screaming. Meanwhile our dog was strutting around the yard with the bird in her mouth as if it was a trophy.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
in my admittedly-limited experience there has never been a dog named "Sampson" that wasn't a Destroyer

(...note that I have cats, so please don't take that as any kind of handwringing or admonition lol)

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
My dog killed a possum and swallowed a baby bird too. That's just how things can be sometimes man. They're animals.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
im happy my dog is chill AF and doesn't mess with other animals if he sees them,he wants to be friends, he's a special boy. it also helps that he's 14 lbs.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I mean in the end, a dog is a wild animal that wants to be your friend. That's disgusting for us, but to the dog he thinks it's a snack.

I love animals, but living with them is difficult.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
Dachshunds are great, but to say they tend to be very aggressive is an understatement. My buddies passed away a few months ago at 15 and was a great dog. His entire life was about destroying toys, and hunting small game.

My Golden doodle has killed a small bird and a little bunny. I only know about these ones because she brought them to me. My Shetland sheepdog growing up ate a full grown bat in front of my mom... she was horrified.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aww I have a miniature doxie and yeah he's stubborn and independent, but he's immeasurably sweet and clownish more than not. Also, mine is perfectly house trained, seldom an accident (only when he had diarrhea one night)

Also, while yes care needs to be taken of their spines, doxies that succumb to IVDD are genetically predisposed to it, maybe around 1 in 4. And most likely is accelerated by human negligence (holding them like dolls, letting them jump off furniture and run up and down stairs).

A lot of what you say just sound like shitty owners tbh.
I guess i was a shitty owner. My labradors were all great, current lab is the best :)

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
In truth, the biggest issue with a doxie's spine isn't whether they're allowed to run up and down stairs, or jump off the couch, it's their weight. Dachshunds that aren't overfed and kept at a responsible weight are significantly less likely to develop back issues, regardless of their physical activity. But again, they'll eat anything, and they'll harass the shit out of you for food, even when you're feeding them a health diet and a healthy amount.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
so for now he's crated until I can be reasonably sure he won't barf it back up.
You are locking up your dog as punishment for being a dog?

And this, dear Era, is why "crating" is total bullshit. It tempts people to use it as educational shortcut.

Hint: it does not work. The punishment and the action are not connected to one another any longer. A dog cant display "feeling sorry" because this emotion does not exist for them.

Maybe your dog would be better off rehomed. Not "locked up randomly" and with an owner who does not humanizes their dog.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

And this, dear Era, is why "crating" is total bullshit. It tempts people to use it as educational shortcut.

Hint: it does not work. The punishment and the action are not connected to one another any longer. A dog cant display "feeling sorry" because this emotion does not exist for them.

Maybe your dog would be better off rehomed. Not "locked up randomly" and with an owner who does not humanizes their dog.
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Doober

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

Ok.