• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should I correct her and tell her to start saying coins instead of money?

• Yes.

Votes: 201 18.1%
  • No.

Votes: 469 42.2%
  • What?

Votes: 441 39.7%

• Total voters

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Any kind of money or currency can be considered to be coin in an informal context. In a formal context, only metal stamped and issued by a government can be considered coin. We know the rings from Sonic are made out of gold, as per the Sonic the Hedgehog 3 English manual, though we do not know if they were issued by a government or not.
Ah true that, now that I think about it. Still, saying rings are not the same as coins is still technically correct then.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Rings can be used as currency like coins, they are not coins though.

What this implies is that while rings aren't coins, it's valid to call rings "money". It's a salient critique of the American healthcare system, of course.

"When Sonic gets hurt, he loses all his money!"

I know I was joking because of all the responses about the games using it as a currency. But even the sounds of you picking them up and them falling out reminds you of coins. So it is even funnier in that context. But to be perfectly honest almost anything can be used for barter and then subsequently be considered currency. That is why despite the usage I still recommend using proper wording even when talking about these fictional game elements.

So how many chocolate gold coins did you try to spend at your local grocery store before they got really upset at you?

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does kids knows coins these days? Every time I try to make a payment to my colleagues using coins instead of a bank transfer they looks at me as I'm some kind of weirdo.

aidangs

Jan 8, 2019
AnhxL0z.jpg

THE COINS ARE THEIR MONEY

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
Mine calls the rupees in Zelda gems. And treasure chests are treasure boxes. "Daddy get the gem!" And "Ooooh a treasure box!" It's so damn cute.