• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 40797

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
How do you make enchilada sauce? Mine is always too bitter.

12 ancho/passilla chilies (toasted, de-seeded and de-veined)
1 tsp Mexican oregano, 1 tsp marjoram
one white onion, some tomatoes and garlic, charred

Reconstitute everything, fry everything after blending, and simmer. Cut the bitterness with baking soda and/or sugar. Salt to taste.

I always end up with a "burnt" taste, despite straining or toasting time. How can I fix this?

Also, let's share Mexican food recipes here.

Last edited:

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
ease up on the toasting or it could be the herbs getting burnt in the frying stage

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
How long do you cook your tomatoes and at what heat?

You may be trying to cook them down too fast and thus at too high a heat. Low and slow is best.

OP
OP

Deleted member 40797

Banned
Mar 8, 2018
Also, onion and cumin is the best seasoning for beef enchiladas. With salad (lettuce, red onion, radish and cotija cheese) of course.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I usually go for a high heat toast and char. Maybe that's the problem.

This is almost definitely the issue. You're possibly burning the herbs as that poster mentioned, and you're likely burning the tomatoes (which need to be done slow to get the bitterness out).

Also, onion and cumin is the best seasoning for beef enchiladas. With salad (lettuce, red onion, radish and cotija cheese) of course.

Cumin is the best seasoning on earth.

OP
OP

Deleted member 40797

Banned
Mar 8, 2018
This is almost definitely the issue. You're possibly burning the herbs as that poster mentioned, and you're likely burning the tomatoes (which need to be done slow to get the bitterness out).

Cumin is the best seasoning on earth.

I agree that cumin is amazing. I didn't know that tomatoes become so bitter. The more you know!

I thought it was the toasted chilies; next time I make it, I will chill on the tomatoes.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do you make enchilada sauce? Mine is always too bitter.

12 ancho/passilla chilies (toasted, de-seeded and de-veined)
1 tsp Mexican oregano, 1 tsp marjoram
one white onion, some tomatoes and garlic, charred

Reconstitute everything, fry everything after blending, and simmer. Cut the bitterness with baking soda and/or sugar. Salt to taste.

I always end up with a "burnt" taste, despite straining or toasting time. How can I fix this?

Also, let's share Mexican food recipes here.
Reason identified. Probably.

Burnt garlic turns bitter very quickly and easily. Even when it doesn't taste particularly bitter at the time of burning/charring, it will turn bitter eventually and turn the whole meal slightly bitter.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reason identified. Probably.

Burnt garlic turns bitter very quickly and easily. Even when it doesn't taste particularly bitter at the time of burning/charring, it will turn bitter eventually and turn the whole meal slightly bitter.

Yep.

Don't char your garlic. Char your onions and tomatoes whole.

Oct 27, 2017
My enchilada sauce brings all the boys to the yard
And they're like, it's better than yours
Damn right, it's better than yours
I can teach you, but I have to charge!