• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing because I'm unemployed. I'm living the statistic. You'd might know that if you paid attention.

I'm sure i do just as much as you, so please be quiet. You don't know me or my life. If you want to actually help, then recommend me at your company and let me try and get a job there. Otherwise you aren't doing shit to help.
You were the guy who wanted to move into an empty house and claim squatters rights and posted about it on the internet. I don't think you'll be getting any job recommendations from here

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think Yang's plan is not a terrible start. $1,000 a month in cash to every adult citizen. Augment that with a part time job and live somewhere cheap and you will have tons of free time to pursue hobbies, education, or training. Group up with a couple of other adults and you can even afford to rent a house together, for example. People who already work and don't plan to reduce hours or quit would have an extra $1,000 of disposable income every month, which would take a lot of pressure of a whole lot of people.

......wouldnt this be offset by prices of everything being raised?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Everyone is never always gonna have it good so sorry, that's nonsense.

I wonder how you'd feel if this statement was the first reply to this thread...

It's purposefully misunderstanding the point that is trying to be made. Straining to infer they are racist is ridiculous.

It's not binary. Racist or Not Racist. I said eurocentric. I said that specific word for a reason. Please go look it up. It has a meaning. It fits what I replied to. Nostalgia for the 1950's lol.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I don't drink coffee or watch podcast. I read the occasional technical white paper, JS standard updates, HTML standard updates, C++ standard updates, and Java standard updates. I like to stay on top of technology and keep learning . It keeps me away from boredom.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm sure i do just as much as you, so please be quiet. You don't know me or my life. If you want to actually help, then recommend me at your company and let me try and get a job there. Otherwise you aren't doing shit to help.

I'll be happy to get you a job with that nasty snide entitled attitude you have. Sure. Come on into my office. Feel free to put your feet up on my desk while you're at it...

Your perspective needs to be adjusted before you'd even appreciate anything handed to you. Otherwise you'll just complain it's not enough.

......wouldnt this be offset by prices of everything being raised?

Only in a free market...

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be happy to get you a job with that nasty snide entitled attitude you have. Sure. Come on into my office. Feel free to put your feet up on my desk while you're at it...

Your perspective needs to be adjusted before you'd even appreciate anything handed to you. Otherwise you'll just complain it's not enough.

Only in a free market...
You were an asshole first, I do not owe you a nice attitude when you are snide to begin with. If you can't actually help then i don't need your bullshit.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I wonder how you'd feel if this statement was the first reply to this thread...

It's not binary. Racist or Not Racist. I said eurocentric. I said that specific word for a reason. Please go look it up. It has a meaning. It fits what I replied to. Nostalgia for the 1950's lol.
The logical endpoint of this sort of thinking is we can never learn from anything.... He was talking about working rights not other things around that time. Because guess what shit is terrible right now for lots of people so I guess everything even unrelated shit must be terrible too and we can learn nothing from it.

You didn't even engage with what he was saying about working rights, you just said "sorry(unrelated) things were bad for some people". Ridiculous bullshit.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing because I'm unemployed. I'm living the statistic. You'd might know that if you paid attention.

It's hilarious, and not at all surprising, that you and the "bootlicker" kid have some of the strongest opinions about being a working Millenial and neither of you even have a job. What's your excuse for that? 3.5% unemployment rate and you're sitting there complaining about being a statistic.

You were the guy who wanted to move into an empty house and claim squatters rights and posted about it on the internet. I don't think you'll be getting any job recommendations from here

That explains plenty, thanks. Dude is his own worst enemy.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
I have a serious question for you guys.

Do you have true goals or a big reason to work everyday?

I had my son at 16 and had to grow up fast. I worked almost fulltime at Mazzios for 3 years til I graduated and randomly became an electrician 2 weeks after HS.

Been at the same job since then. I make decent money and am content. I dread work sometimes but I have a wife and two kids.

Ive also been with my wife since 12th grade and she worked at papa johns for 7 years til she became a teacher 6 years ago.

Weve always had a mentality of always having a job because we had a kid(she adopted him) and she grew up poor and I vowed to never let her live that way again.

We bought our first house at 22, worth 55,000 but we loved it. on our 3rd house now. It definently takes two incomes today.

I think if I didnt have my son than Id probably been drastically different

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The logical endpoint of this sort of thinking is we can never learn from anything.... He was talking about working rights not other things around that time. Because guess what shit is terrible right now for lots of people so I guess everything even unrelated shit must be terrible too and we can learn nothing from it.

You didn't even engage with what he was saying about working rights, you just said "sorry(unrelated) things were bad for some people". Ridiculous bullshit.

And my point is some folks in the 50's didn't have working rights. So how you gonna get dewey eyed and attempt to reminisce over it? Then when it gets pointed out to you act like it's irrelevant. I suppose the disconnect is your view that what I'm saying is "unrelated". It isn't from my perspective. I'm engaging, just not in the way you seem to want me to. Don't take it personally.

"Back in the day was better"

"No It wasn't. Not for everyone."

"But that's not related."

If that ain't eurocentrism at its finest I don't know what is.

You were an asshole first, I do not owe you a nice attitude when you are snide to begin with. If you can't actually help then i don't need your bullshit.

I don't believe I was being an asshole. Unless your definition of an asshole is someone who isn't going to help you throw a pity-party.

Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious, and not at all surprising, that you and the "bootlicker" kid have some of the strongest opinions about being a working Millenial and neither of you even have a job. What's your excuse for that? 3.5% unemployment rate and you're sitting there complaining about being a statistic.

That explains plenty, thanks. Dude is his own worst enemy.
you know nothing about me so shove it. i've been trying to get a job in america since i got back from china in january and have had no call backs. I speak Mandarin. I was in top 10% of my graduating class in Marketing. I've taught at universities in China and almost made it through a master's in China that was in mandarin (harder than i thought it would be and i had to work at the same time). So please pass me over with your bullshit. I've done as much or more than you trying to get a job and i don't need to be told how I " did something wrong to fuck up my life". The system is the fucking problem.

Mammoth Jones why wasn't the 50s the best for everyone? was it because their were systemic issues that hampered minorities growth and progress even when they tried their hardest to break out of their way of life. hey, sounds like nowadays for millennials.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
I know things are getting heated in here, so I just want to say that I don't think everyone comparing working conditions to older times is doing it with the intention of being condescending and bootstrappy. I think a lot of people are just trying to provide some alternate perspective to help morale. If we all take a minute to step back and appreciate what we do have, we're more likely to come back refreshed and ready to fight to improve our own situations and those of the people around us. We all have to fight to stay alive and healthy so we can make a difference in our spare time. Voting, volunteering, protesting, etc.

Hopefully this helps keep people from jumping at each others' throats. I know life is hard, and I don't know every individual poster's plights and circumstances. Emotions are going to run high in a thread like this. But perspective is good to help in preventing us from giving up and dying. If we're dead, we can't make a difference for the future generations.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone in this thread has said that things DONT need to change. I think we're all on the same side here, just with some of us in more dire straights than others. Don't give up. Try to appreciate what you do have, even if it's a little. Find a purpose to live for beyond work. Fight like hell to make a difference in your life and others.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
you know nothing about me so shove it. i've been trying to get a job in america since i got back from china in january and have had no call backs. I speak Mandarin. I was in top 10% of my graduating class in Marketing. I've taught at universities in China and almost made it through a master's in China that was in mandarin (harder than i thought it would be and i had to work at the same time). So please pass me over with your bullshit. I've done as much or more than you trying to get a job and i don't need to be told how I " did something wrong to fuck up my life". The system is the fucking problem.

I found your problem.

Mammoth Jones why wasn't the 50s the best for everyone? was it because their were systemic issues that hampered minorities growth and progress even when they tried their hardest to break out of their way of life. hey, sounds like nowadays for millennials.

No, I wouldn't say those two situations are remotely comparable.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
And my point is some folks in the 50's didn't have working rights. So how you gonna get dewey eyed and attempt to reminisce over it? Then when it gets pointed out to you act like it's irrelevant. I suppose the disconnect is your view that what I'm saying is "unrelated". It isn't from my perspective. I'm engaging, just not in the way you seem to want me to. Don't take it personally.

"Back in the day was better"

"No It wasn't. Not for everyone."

"But that's not related."

If that ain't eurocentrism at its finest I don't know what is.

I don't believe I was being an asshole. Unless your definition of an asshole is someone who isn't going to help you throw a pity-party.
See, this rhetorical trick you keep using is why it's pointless to talk to you. If you mention anything that was done better in the past you must want to bring back everything that was terrible too.

It's dishonest bullshit and you know it. I'm done with this.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
they are remotely comparable. this generation is getting exploited by the ruling class. if you can't see it, not my problem you're a fool.

Your struggles in marketing aren't the same as this:
reuben_stacy_lynching.jpg

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
See, this rhetorical trick you keep using is why it's pointless to talk to you. If you mention anything that was done better in the past you must want to bring back everything that was terrible too.

It's dishonest bullshit and you know it. I'm done with this.

No. I'm not saying they want to bring that back. I'm saying don't say it was great when it WASNT great for so many people. That's what I'm saying. Like 50 years from now folks talk about how great this was and ignore your struggles. Would you like that?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
No. I'm not saying they want to bring that back. I'm saying don't say it was great when it WASNT great for so many people. That's what I'm saying. Like 50 years from now folks talk about how great this was and ignore your struggles. Would you like that?
So people shouldn't say certain things from the past are great?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
If you wanna rock on about how great the 1950's job market was don't be shocked when someone reminds ya'll that this was a part of that:

whites-only.jpg

Or I'm saying no one can say certain things from the past are great. I'll let you figure out which one of those I honestly mean.
But you do get the point that people are referring to certain things right?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe you're not as good as marketing as you think? You're clearly having problems marketing yourself if you're not getting any callbacks. Did you do this teaching in China after you were having trouble getting a job in marketing? Are you still trying to pursue marketing or have you taken this down time to expand your skills?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
But you do get the point that people are referring to certain things right?

That's what I took issue with. Cherry picking the 1950's job market, I mean. I take issue to praising the 1950's job market that kept my qualified grandparents out of professions other than sharecropping and being a maid like that was a viable system. You wanna praise a job market you can't just pick which parts. It's all or nothing If you're going to make that specific comparison.

That's the thing about reminiscing. We all get to do it from our perspective. Folks can share theirs. I damn sure will share mine.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You have a degree from a university in China and speak mandarin, and you're trying to get a job in Alabama with no actual experience. Am I correct there? Don't you see why those things may not work together?

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you're not as good as marketing as you think? You're clearly having problems marketing yourself if you're not getting any callbacks. Did you do this teaching in China after you were having trouble getting a job in marketing? Are you still trying to pursue marketing or have you taken this down time to expand your skills?
I graduated in 09. I couldn't find anything for 3 months here so I got an offer in China and left.

Oct 27, 2017
You have a degree from a university in China and speak mandarin, and you're trying to get a job in Alabama with no actual experience. Am I correct there? Don't you see why those things may not work together?
I have a degree in marketing from UAB. And a master's in management. But I didn't complete it. But all the classes were in Mandarin

Oct 27, 2017
So you graduated a decade(?) ago and never used your marketing degree. Do you see why this makes you less attractive to employers? Marketing has changed quite a bit in the last decade.
yes, which wasn't caused by me. I didn't tank the economy in 09. That's the whole fucking point if this. I have tried hard and the system has been fucking me since.

What I don't get is how you guys just can't admit that the system can fuck you just as well as individual choices.

Lol you guys in here literally trying to say the system isn't at fault and shit like this is real life. Please pass me over with the bullshit.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
yes, which wasn't caused by me. I didn't tank the economy in 09. That's the whole fucking point if this. I have tried hard and the system has been fucking me since.

What I don't get is how you guys just can't admit that the system can fuck you just as well as individual choices.

Lol you guys in here literally trying to say the system isn't at fault and shit like this is real life. Please pass me over with the bullshit.
What resources do you use to look for a job?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I graduated in 09. I couldn't find anything for 3 months here so I got an offer in China and left.

You keep trying to blame the system but you bailed for China after three months and became outdated without any experience in the process. Those choices were on you. You also need to stop claiming you have a Masters in management because you don't.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a degree in marketing from UAB. And a master's in management. But I didn't complete it. But all the classes were in Mandarin

Wait, how can you claim to have a master's in management if you didn't complete the degree?

I'm saying I completed many of the courses

LOL this thread is delivering. What a clown show.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Annnnd there's the millennial entitlement we've heard so much about.

Even if your country's government magically changed and the wealth was redistributed, that still doesn't guarantee you won't live a soul-crushing existence. Best to find something now that fulfills you because many of us in this reality aren't trapped in an awful, soul-destroying job.

That seems like an unfair assessment. Millennials just want the kind of level playing field the rest of us got, by and large, but due to the past few decades of legislation and lack of regulation of some sectors they're being left behind - dealt a poor deck of cards.

I qualify as a millennial given my birth year, but I really identify more with Gen X given when I graduated, the state of the economy and government at the time, etc. Give them a break. They deserve to be able to gripe. I couldn't imagine how hard it must be for young people just entering the workforce now, or even ten years ago.

Oct 27, 2017
That seems like an unfair assessment. Millennials just want the kind of level playing field the rest of us got, by and large, but due to the past few decades of legislation and lack of regulation of some sectors they're being left behind - dealt a poor deck of cards.

I qualify as a millennial given my birth year, but I really identify more with Gen X given when I graduated, the state of the economy and government at the time, etc. Give them a break. They deserve to be able to gripe. I couldn't imagine how hard it must be for young people just entering the workforce now, or even ten years ago.
Thank you. Most people in here seem to really think that America is a meritocracy. It is possible that I have actually done my best and still been screwed. But no one wants to admit that. I just have done "something" to get screwed all these years.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Screw you, seriously. I needed a job and I couldn't wait so I got one.

You took one out of the country and then let your degree go to waste. That was your choice. I'm not saying shit isn't hard, but you don't want to at least own up on your part and want to solely blame the system while saying you didn't make any mistakes.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LOL with this shit. You tried "really hard" for 3 whole months and then left for China. Now you have a 10 year old degree you've never used, ZERO work history in the U.S., and none of your problems are based on your own choices? You're completely blameless here?

What does rich people paying less in taxes have to do with you? You don't pay taxes at all! That article literally says nothing about your current situation.

They weren't on me. I didn't fuck up the economy so bad that I had to leave.

Dude, do you even hear yourself? The economy was NEVER so bad that you had to leave the country to find a job. I've seen people play the victim, but you take it to another level. It's ridiculous.

Thank you. Most people in here seem to really think that America is a meritocracy. It is possible that I have actually done my best and still been screwed. But no one wants to admit that. I just have done "something" to get screwed all these years.

He isn't talking about you, so don't get too excited.

Oct 27, 2017
You took one out of the country and then let your degree go to waste. That was your choice. I'm not saying shit isn't hard, but you don't want to at least own up on your part and want to solely blame the system while saying you didn't make any mistakes.
I did what I had to to survive. Not all of us just get to wait till we find something.

Oct 27, 2017
LOL with this shit. You tried "really hard" for 3 whole months and then left for China. Now you have a 10 year old degree you've never used, ZERO work history in the U.S., and none of your problems are based on your own choices? You're completely blameless here?

What does rich people paying less in taxes have to do with you? You don't pay taxes at all! That article literally says nothing about your current situation.

Dude, do you even hear yourself? The economy was NEVER so bad that you had to leave the country to find a job. I've seen people play the victim, but you take it to another level. It's ridiculous.

He isn't talking about you, so don't get too excited.
What a prick. I'm done here.