• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jul 18, 2018
35 years old. Pretty much a grown up individual adult that shouldn't be leeched by family. So yes, grow up courage or spine to tell them what is what and makes things due. Pretty much at point in life where you need to be living your life your way. The other alternative is to keep going until dad is dead and then no worries but that is going to be a while eh.

And this might split the family, yes. But you are going to be in the shadows rest of your life then.

But shit don't tell a stranger you are a gay, that's can of worms. Just make date bad or seem not interested and make no flow happen or convo

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
If you tell her, your dad will find out. With her age her parents are also hounding her to get married almost certainly and she will use anything to show how hard it is.

Its a dick move to force a shitty date, you are wasting her time and will reinforce in her mind that "she waited too long".

Maybe if you know a straight guy whose cool and single and the right age you could bring him along instead and tell her you are seeing someone but aren't ready to talk to your family about it but let her hang out with your friend, I dunno thats kinda weird but at least nice.

Jan 18, 2018
Can't you just say "no, thank you" ?

Like that you don't want to get married or something, no matter with who ?

Depends on the culture i guess, but i see nothing wrong in prefering to stay celibate (or pretending to, in your case).
Research the culture

What's stopping you from just saying no? It's your life. Who cares if he gets mad.

Its his father, not everyone has that its my like idc about what people think of me mentality. People like to keep their family bond sometimes.

I believe fundamentally that everybody should be out and everybody deserves to be honest about who they are. I think it is tragic that anyone has to hide who they are from anyone, especially their family. But the truth is sometimes it is easier to pick and choose who you are out to, even when it causes these kinds of sitcom-worthy situations.

Navigating that network is very individual. I also think they should tell their father. But if Kismet doesn't feel like it's possible to be honest with their dad I want to respect that. I am not out to my father either.

Truth

Lie to him and keep the peace.

DO NOT date this woman.

I know that others are suggesting that you come out as a way to relieve the pressure, but only you have enough information to make that decision.

With that off the table, lying is the only thing I can suggest. Eventually you will wear him down.

Yep, dont tell the girl because her family might find out and possibly tell your father.

The weird thing about good advice is that good advice takes into consideration your point of view, culture and circumstances.
A lot of people are giving you advice from their view which may not be helpful at all to you. This is a gaming forum after all and we all know the stats on that.
Have you tried gay communities online?

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
it would be shitty if you tell the girl and she ends up telling your father. The best situation is for you to tell your dad even if you think it would be bad. I can't think of a situation turning out better then this as he will eventually find out.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't tell ANYTHING to this girl you don't even know.

If you aren't coming out, then just tell your dad "No". You're fucking 35 I don't give a fuck what culture you are part of just say no.

Anyways good luck, I'm glad the rest of your family is supportive at least.

Last edited:

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If my 90 year old grandma was able to come around and embrace my gay cousins, your dad should too.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Have a dinner with the woman and tell her you are guy. You are 35, it's really not a hard decision.

Oct 28, 2017
You guys telling OP to tell his dad need to be more respectful. We don't know a single thing about his family life. There are certainly, without a doubt, fathers who have disowned sons they loved because they couldn't handle the perceived shame of having a gay son. That's a terrible thing, but it's true. If OP still wants to have a relationship with his father, not telling him may be the only way to do it. We're not in a position to know and give advice on that. Please consider that.

If my 90 year old grandma was able to come around and embrace my gay cousins, your dad should too.

Yup. Exactly the same. Case closed.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
This is easy for me to say, and likely difficult for you to do. If you want to somehow get out of meeting her, I think you have to find a way to do this without lying to your father. I am not saying you should come out to him, even if you don't want to. I am saying don't make up girlfriends that don't exist. That can only back fire.

You will likely have to say you don't want to meet her and are not interested.

Mar 29, 2018
I mean, let your grown father have a fit if you're not going to tell him.
The father is a grown-ass man, he should be able to handle it.

The problem many of us in this thread won't be considering is the massive pressure to build families in many Middle Eastern, Asian and muslim cultures. It's literally all any adult will talk about a lot of the time. Marriage, how many kids, who's matching with who, etc. There's a huge financial aspect in that it provides stability and money being shared/passed around, helping businesses, etc.

In the West we've got a full libertarian lifestyle of "every person is their own person and nobody else can/has to affect them". This is not true of most of the world. OP will be fully embroiled in this big complicated familial soup and going against the grain will result in excommunication/derision from lots of people, not just his dad.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Tell your dad a firm no.

You don't have to come out if you don't want to, as that can be difficult with religious families.

However, you are still a grown man, and your father is gonna have to respect your autonomy. Be clear, you can choose who you want, he does not choose for you.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
If you won't come out to your dad, just go on the date but don't be too charming. Your physical and mental well-being is a million times more important than whether or not you lead someone on one date.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You know OP I think he knows or at least strongly suspect. He talks that way to bend you into the hetero side (he thinks things work that way, or clings to the idea). If he's a narcissist he only rejects gays because of fear of judgment of others for who you are, he's not concern with your happiness only his. Tell it's your life and happiness.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
doesn't seem like much of a family to me. but then again i'm coming from the perspective that family isn't something that inherently should be protected or shielded. if it can't withstand something this, it doesn't deserve to remain intact. the OP has a boyfriend, are they out to their parents? if so, seems like a perfectly valid new family to me.

What about the consequences for his mother, his sister and his brothers??

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a fellow Albanian I feel bad for you knowing how strict/shitty our country/population is when it comes to LGBTQ people.

All I can really say is good luck.

Oct 27, 2017
What about the consequences for his mother, his sister and his brothers??

everyone living in fear over telling the truth to a man? fuck all that. it's toxic family environment that only exists because of some archaic worry that the man must be coddled or everything will fall a part. if the family is strong it will exist regardless of what the father thinks.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I don't think anything will happen to them
You're being very naive on this matter. If the OP's father reacts the way he expect him to and his father cannot physically do anything to him, do you think he would just steam on his own without lashing out at the people closest to him?

The OP specifically said his father would blame his mother for him being gay and we don't know the extent of the potential consequences that would ensue.

Nigthwizard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Costa Rica
This is an awful situation.
I'm not familiar with your family's cultural background, so I won't tell you to come out to him, although you should do it eventually,
it's not good to pretend to be someone you aren't.

At the very least you shouldn't try the fake date, it wouldn't be fair to her, also don't tell her you're gay, unless you want everyone finding out.

I guess all I can say is good luck

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Go on the date and make it the worst date ever.
This is bad advice... You don't have to lie to her, you can just say you're not interested. These "Well if you're lying about being gay, you may as well lie and be awful about everything" posts are just silly. It's up to you whether you want to tell your Dad about your boyfriend or not, but there is zero reason to string along a third party to this.

If you aren't interested in her then you aren't interested.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

What your grandma did (good for her) has NOTHING to do with what his dad would do.

Should he? Of course. That's not what's being discussed here

This is not helpful at all

everyone living in fear over telling the truth to a man? fuck all that. it's toxic family environment that only exists because of some archaic worry that the man must be coddled or everything will fall a part. if the family is strong it will exist regardless of what the father thinks.

This is so wrong. Don't listen to this advice, anyone that is in a similar situation

I don't think anything will happen to them

You don't think? Have you read what the OP has said about exactly this?

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a straight woman, but when I was 21 my mom set me up on a date with another Muslim boy while I was dating someone else.

I ended up going on the date and telling the dude I didn't want to get married 🤷🏽‍♀️ he was also in the same position but just wanted to make his mom happy. When I told my mom that our date involved us strolling around the city, she thought he was inappropriate and called it off 😂

Anyway, what I want to say is that devout Muslim parents are crazy, and no matter how you much you try accommodate, they will never be happy. My mom ended up finding out about my relationship and we currently don't speak to each other, but the quality of my life has drastically improved.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I wouldn't involve the woman at all, not by telling her a lie or by taking her on a shitty date. I don't share your cultural background, so I've got no insight on those dynamics, so I can't comment there. There is just no reason to treat a stranger poorly in an effort to further deceive your father. Continue to lie to him or just tell him you're not interested, but leave the woman who has nothing to do with your relationship with your father out of it.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tell your dad you are a gay and ask him to set you up with a nice Alabanian boy.

Worst case scenario, he disowns you and you get to live a peaceful life without him. A few years down the road, he will be alone and will take you back.

Best case scenario, you have a hot date with an alabnian dude.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
What your grandma did (good for her) has NOTHING to do with what his dad would do.

Should he? Of course. That's not what's being discussed here

This is not helpful at all

This is so wrong. Don't listen to this advice, anyone that is in a similar situation

You don't think? Have you read what the OP has said about exactly this?

Agree with you. So many people here exist in theory and theory only which is fine I guess but when they start giving people really awful, uninformed and unmanageable advice they should just go fuck themselves.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
What about faking a religious urge for celibacy?

It doesn't really respect his boyfriend. Whatever solution he comes up with likely has to respect that fact that he has a boyfriend. Doing this, without coming out to his father, will be difficult. He likely should just keep it to a simple "no I'm not interested" and deal with the blowback.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Tell your dad you are a gay and ask him to set you up with a nice Alabanian boy.

Worst case scenario, he disowns you and you get to live a peaceful life without him. A few years down the road, he will be alone and will take you back.

Best case scenario, you have a hot date with an alabnian dude.

Actually worse case scenerio is his dad acts on the violence he's already expressed (The man has said that gays should be executed)

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It doesn't really respect his boyfriend. Whatever solution he comes up with likely has to respect that fact that he has a boyfriend. Doing this, without coming out to his father, will be difficult. He likely should just keep it to a simple "no I'm not interested" and deal with the blowback.

Well, I guess the boyfriend also have to accept his choices (if he doesn't want to tell due to risking his family), it isn't a one way here.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What country do you live in OP? does your family live there too?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
OP the only way to resolve this is to come clean. It's gonna be ugly. You'll probably not talk to your dad again.

Oct 28, 2017
Is being a gay Muslim any different than being say a gay Catholic, for example? Is homosexuality more shunned in Muslim culture? Is your dad a homophobe? Not sure I fully understand

You're 35, just be honest with your dad. I always believe that honesty is the best policy. Its your life, if he cant handle it, then tough titties.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
Is being a gay Muslim any different than being say a gay Catholic, for example? Is homosexuality more shunned in Muslim culture? Is your dad a homophobe? Not sure I fully understand

You're 35, just be honest with your dad. I always believe that honesty is the best policy. Its your life, if he cant handle it, then tough titties.

Oh it's far more difficult being a gay muslim, the entrenched views are really archaic and inhuman. Nobody can give proper advice here, it's a tough situation, best of luck!

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Think you should just tell your dad. You're 35 man, it's fucking time. Instead of beating around the bush for years and years. Let him have a fit and calm down sooner rather than later.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot of genuinely awful advice in this thread.

"Just tell him" yeah ok pal. Some of you are seriously divorced from reality. Your life/culture/community/family isn't what everyone else has.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not coming out to my dad.

He's very old fashioned and orthodox. He even has said that all gay men should be executed. Even my mother tells me I should not tell him otherwise he will blame her family. My father is a religious, selfrighteous non-conformist with a tad of narcisstic personality disorder.

I love him. But only because he's my father. Otherwise I would never be in touch with such people.

My sister reacted very indifferent. She doesn't care I'm gay - I'm still her best friend. We love each other a lot. My mom had issues in the beginning, but it's getting better. She even met my boyfriend and she finds him nice and handsome. But I didn't like it when she said that it's a shame we're gay, because many girls are interested in us. I don't find it shameful at all. I would never want to change myself. But she understands now more and more.

I also have two brothers. The older one had a hard time accepting it in the beginning. Even adviced me to continue dating women, because maybe I could eventually fall in love with one...
But I asked him to start dating men, because he might fall in love with one eventually as well...
He still has trouble with my sexuality, but doesn't treat me bad. But I've noticed that we're not talking to each other as much as before.
My youngest brother is a sweetheart. He said he always knew I was from "the other side" lol

But my father is a big no. I'm never going to come out to him. He's very unreasonable. I know him.

I don't understand. But I'm Albanian myself. My folk is still very traditional.
I don't get it though. You're a grown ass man/adult. If you're financially stable, why care about what your dad can do for you? Not saying it won't be rough, but I can't imagine being closeted for so long (I'm hetero though).

So either give an authoritative "no" or come out. As it is, if you got married, he wouldn't come to the wedding whether he knew or not. So why trouble yourself to keep it secret?

Again, what can your dad do for you as a 35 year old man?

OP
OP

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I've been with quite a lot of girls in the past. I even brought them to my parents. But it was more as a camouflage. I came out to my friends and my family quite late in my life. I just didn't want to live a lie anymore. But my dad still needs to live in this lie, otherwise the whole family will be ruined. He's the type of guy that will never approve or understand me being gay. And I don't want to ruin my family with this. Sometimes it's better to lie.

I live in the Netherlands by the way.

Anyway, what I want to say is that devout Muslim parents are crazy, and no matter how you much you try accommodate, they will never be happy. My mom ended up finding out about my relationship and we currently don't speak to each other, but the quality of my life has drastically improved.

And that's what counts. Parents aren't always right. I'm sorry about your mom. I'm so glad my mom understands and supports me. But in the end, even without any support from friends of family: I know what I want. And there's nothing wrong with how I feel.

And don't make me take decisions because the decision will be made quick. I will always choose for myself and my own happiness. Telling my dad about this won't be making anyone happy.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I've been with quite a lot of girls in the past. I even brought them to my parents. But it was more as a camouflage. I came out to my friends and my family quite late in my life. I just didn't want to live a lie anymore. But my dad still needs to live in this lie, otherwise the whole family will be ruined. He's the type of guy that will never approve or understand me being gay. And I don't want to ruin my family with this. Sometimes it's better to lie.

And that's what counts. Parents aren't always right. I'm sorry about your mom. I'm so glad my mom understands and supports me. But in the end, even without any support from friends of family: I know what I want. And there's nothing wrong with how I feel.

And don't make me take decisions because the decision will be made quick. I will always choose for myself and my own happyness. Telling my dad about this won't be making anyone happy.

Jeez man that's rough but think about your happiness before anybody else.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State

And don't make me take decisions because the decision will be made quick. I will always choose for myself and my own happiness. Telling my dad about this won't be making anyone happy.
If you tell him that you aren't interested on dating and that for the moment you are focused on different things what would happen? I think that's a sensible solution to your current predicament.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I'm assuming you live your own life, have your own home, means of employment, etc. and are not dependant on your dad? If this is the case, its time to be truthful with dad. He might not like it, and things might be unpleasant (understatement), but its far worse to live a lie, and even worse if he found out about this through some other means. Time to rip off the band aid.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017

But what about yourself? You have to suffer for the rest of your father's life? That's awful!

If your family's happiness is that important to you, I guess enjoy living a lie. I'm sorry you feel you have to go that route. But sooner or later, these situations have a way of coming out in the open anyway.