• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 25, 2017
After EVO I made my yearly pilgrimage to amazon to search for fight sticks but, rather than bailing at the last minute like i normally do, i finally bit the bullet and bought one.
'delivered' status on Tuesday, nowhere to be found.
replaced, re-delivered on Friday, with a photo update of the package at my door.Gone by the time i got home from work a few hours later.
I'm getting another replacement (all no extra charge) and its getting sent to work this time so, problem solved. But WTF?? i guess a neighbor STOLE my package?? its just so unbelievably shitty. is there some market for hot fight sticks on the black market??
ANYWAY, i just needed to vent. now im worried i'll get this dang thing as Control or something comes out and the fighting game itch will leave me for another year. (i bought Tekken and Street Fighter V (i like Kazumi and Blanka so far))

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. Now would be a good time for one of those Ring camera thingies. Fucking savages.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Had neighbors who would steal our packages often. That stopped real quick when we got a camera on the front door. $200 is a small price to pay to stop that.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Sorry to hear. People are fucking assholes we had the same problem too and now we installed cameras at our front door and all of that stopped

GFdoom

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Yea we've been having problems in our neighboorhood of packages being taken off porches. thankfully nothing has been stolen from me yet. But i went ahead and bought a Nest home camera system just to be on the safe side. It's cool because it has a speaker/microphone so you can speak or listen to whoever is in the camera's view.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't there package stations where they can deliver it to? It's utterly insane put something for everyone to grab. In Germany most of the time it goes back to the post office where I can pick it up the following day.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
My complex has a a designated package room that has lockers where packages should be placed. I get texted a code and then enter it into a touch screen and the locker where my package will open. For some reason, Amazon/UPS decides to randomly not use this sometimes and I'll come home with a package at my door or in today's case, it was placed on a neighbors door. Luckily for me my neighbors aren't garbage people, so they told me about it. I had a pair of $300 Sennheiser ear buds show as "delivered" but never actually showed up, luckily I was able to get a refund. I wouldn't put it past Amazon or UPS to be completely incompetent the majority of the time.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Wasn't there something online where the same packaging messengers were stealing it?? I think it was FedEx that the carrier took a picture that he delivered and then took the package with him. He was caught after someone installed a concealed camera and caught them. This constant theft is a pain and the only to do is install cameras to deter more theft.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Why in the world does any delivery company not have 'sign for delivery' or 'deliver to local parcel pickup point' as a delivery option? What a backward-ass system.

Having to buy camera systems just so your packages don't get jacked is 100% fucked up.

Oct 26, 2017
Amazon for whatever reason, are mandated to drop packages in front of the door and dip. I had an instance where they used an objectively terrible delivery carrier (rated the worst in my area with tons of 1-star reviews + notes that they consistently make errors in delivery), lo and behold, I get an incorrect delivery despite them saying that they delivered in my doorstep. I was able to get a refund and complained about them using a crappy delivery service knowing that they have a bad reputation.

You should be able to get a refund as well since your package was stolen.

Oct 25, 2017
I find it interesting that Americans don't seem to have pickup points or something where you could get your package. Keep seeing stories of packages getting stolen. The craziest part is that you're paying a monthly fee to Amazon for this.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
At the door ?
Like, on the floor near the door ? "Outside" available to be grabbed by anyone ?

PerfectFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
My wife has delivered for Amazon, so I can tell y'all a bit about them, or at least how they work in San Antonio.

My complex has a a designated package room that has lockers where packages should be placed. I get texted a code and then enter it into a touch screen and the locker where my package will open. For some reason, Amazon/UPS decides to randomly not use this sometimes and I'll come home with a package at my door or in today's case, it was placed on a neighbors door. Luckily for me my neighbors aren't garbage people, so they told me about it. I had a pair of $300 Sennheiser ear buds show as "delivered" but never actually showed up, luckily I was able to get a refund. I wouldn't put it past Amazon or UPS to be completely incompetent the majority of the time.
If your electronic lockers are full or dont have any openings for the correct size (which happens all the time) your package is delivered to your door. Most of their drivers don't like doing more work than they have to for no reason.

Why in the world does any delivery company not have 'sign for delivery' or 'deliver to local parcel pickup point' as a delivery option? What a backward-ass system.

Having to buy camera systems just so your packages don't get jacked is 100% fucked up.

Amazon has both of those things. My wife has signature required deliveries constantly. Though, I have no clue what the criteria is to get that, or if you just have to ask.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks OP. Luckily I've never had anything stolen from my porch (from what I remember).

I have had issues with delivery a couple times that drove me crazy, and I made sure to complain loudly whenever it would happen. My apartment has a screened-in porch and sometimes instead of leaving my package at my door and knocking (I still complain sometimes because they don't always knock. How hard is it to knock?), they would leave it outside the screen door, where every one walks by, even though I always have it unlocked, and sometimes even I'll leave it ajar for delivery people.

Like... that's like leaving a package on the sidewalk in front of a house's yard, c'mon!

I know with packages delivered from Amazon you can have it delivered a certain way, like you can add a note to leave it with a specific neighbor, the complex's office building if you live in an apartment complex or whatnot (I can't remember the other options, they were like "leave at back door" or something like that I think). At least you'll know you'll get it since it's coming to your work.

That said, if I do catch the delivery people because they knock or I just hear them put the package at my door, I always say "thank you" even if they're down the walkway around the corner (they always yell back "you're welcome!").

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Amazon started wildin out of nowhere and delivering to my doorstep.... in my apartment complex.

And I don't mean like small purchases. One was my GPU.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Had a $100 PC case that I ordered from Amazon left on the front steps of my office building on a Sunday that was long gone by Monday when I got into work. Luckily Amazon was happy to replace it but I can't imagine how much money they lose on subpar delivery options.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't there package stations where they can deliver it to? It's utterly insane put something for everyone to grab. In Germany most of the time it goes back to the post office where I can pick it up the following day.

Same here in Australia any items of any worth are a signature or back to the post office it goes.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Is this more of an american thing with stealing packages at the door? Ive never had a package stolen from me placed at the door close to the main street. (Germany)

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this more of an american thing with stealing packages at the door? Ive never had a package stolen from me placed at the door close to the main street. (Germany)
Ah yes, the great, it doesn't happen to me so it must be an American thing.

Majadamus

Jun 3, 2019
Connecticut
Although my neighbors hardly talk to each other, we do look out for one another. I constantly have items laying on my doorstep for a day sometimes. I get locked in at work every now and then so I can't be home right away to receive my items. But, my neighbors keep a good lookout for things going on around our neighborhood.

If suggest this if you don't want to fork over cash for a camera: Try using Amazon Prime to have them deliver your items on a certain day you know you're going to be home to receive them. I think it's called Prime Day or something like that. I did that a few when I knew I was going busy busting my ass at work all week and not be able to be home often.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with a USPS PO box is that UPS/Fedex won't deliver packages to it. You can get a UPS PO box and they will accept any package from any carrier, but you would need to live close to a UPS Store to make it worthwhile to have.
I had USPS PO box who will give you a street address and the apartment number of that address is your Box number.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I find it utterly strange how in America they just leave your shit laying there outside to be stolen . Here you have to personally receive your parcel from the delivery guy or from the shipping company's office .

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It's not common practice to leave packages at the doorsteps in our country, so a thief would have to be rather lucky to find one laying about the few times it does happen.

Do they pull the "Re-delivery tomorrow" thing or make you come to the store and pick up or something?

I don't know how DHL deals with things over there but the US if there is no required signature, it's left to the discretion of the delivery driver to either leave it if it looks like a kinda safe spot/area or what I said above. The problem there is you can get some boneheaded delivery drivers who just want to do the easiest thing and punt that thing at your door and run away.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I find it utterly strange how in America they just leave your shit laying there outside to be stolen . Here you have to personally receive your parcel from the delivery guy or from the shipping company's office .
They don't do that, but here they always do the "I ringed your door and nobody was there" while you were there the whole time. I indulged in a few 3DS games while I was in the hospital a while ago to make my stay there less boring and they had the nerve to say that nobody was there to receive the parcel. When I called them and went ballistic one of their employees came to my hospital room that night to deliver it and apologize.

I would have rather had the parcel delivered two days later than to be lied on my face.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Do they pull the "Re-delivery tomorrow" thing or make you come to the store and pick up or something?

I don't know how DHL deals with things over there but the US if there is no required signature, it's left to the discretion of the delivery driver to either leave it if it looks like a kinda safe spot/area or what I said above. The problem there is you can get some boneheaded delivery drivers who just want to do the easiest thing and punt that thing at your door and run away.

Typically, they'll leave a note stating that their delivery attempt has been unsuccessful and you are to pick up the package at the station. Alternatively, you can arrange a drop-off spot on your property for them to leave it. If that hasn't happened, they are not allowed to just drop it off without you there. Then you have delivery services like Hermes that have a clause allowing them to hand packages to one of your neighbors with their signature, who then are supposed to hand the package to you later.

Of course all of that is just official policy. We've definitely had packages just dropped in front of our door before, the heavy kind that'd be a pain to carry back to the delivery truck especially.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Sadly as online shopping becomes more dominant, we'll see more and more of this. PO Boxes are going to see a new boom time as this shit becomes egregiously common

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Its baffling to me as a European how in America delivery companies can just leave packages at your door unwarranted.

BAFFLING.

WRC

Oct 28, 2017
Typically, they'll leave a note stating that their delivery attempt has been unsuccessful and you are to pick up the package at the station. Alternatively, you can arrange a drop-off spot on your property for them to leave it. If that hasn't happened, they are not allowed to just drop it off without you there. Then you have delivery services like Hermes that have a clause allowing them to hand packages to one of your neighbors with their signature, who then are supposed to hand the package to you later.

Of course all of that is just official policy. We've definitely had packages just dropped in front of our door before, the heavy kind that'd be a pain to carry back to the delivery truck especially.
Pretty much the same in Spain, here most of the delivery companies have a "Re-delivery tomorrow" as default as well as the quoted if they can't do the delivery that day.
The problem here are the policies that companies have in toher countires like USA :/ it seems.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its baffling to me as a European how in America delivery companies can just leave packages at your door unwarranted.

BAFFLING.
Yodel in UK does this. Apparently employees are paid per delivery so if you're not there and they need redeliver another time, they only get paid once. So they'll just leave it anywhere to avoid this, including in the open if needed. Many don't even bother knocking because they determined it getting delivered no matter what. I don't think Amazon UK uses yodel anymore though.

Jan 10, 2018
Having a postal system where expensive things are just left on your porch for everyone to grab seems incredibly stressful. I'm not sure I would order anything online living in a country like that.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had a moment where they delivered an item of mine around 9pm. I had my house and bedroom lights on to help give a sign that I am home and that you can knock or ring the doorbell so I know they're here. Nothing happened and I figured that maybe my package was pushed back a date. So I decided to check the Amazon tracker maybe 30 or so minutes later. Oh they came, they came very silently and just left the package on my porch late at night which could have easily get stolen while I was asleep had I not checked. Like, I don't even remember seeing a car or van pull up or anything.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks, sorry to hear that OP.

I've had a couple of things stolen from my front porch (condo), so I now have everything delivered to my work address. Haven't had a problem since.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yodel in UK does this. Apparently employees are paid per delivery so if you're not there and they need redeliver another time, they only get paid once. So they'll just leave it anywhere to avoid this, including in the open if needed. Many don't even bother knocking because they determined it getting delivered no matter what. I don't think Amazon UK uses yodel anymore though.

Yup. They have put parcels in my recycling box and over the side fence at times. They suck big time, I avoid them wherever possible. Surprised they haven't changed their name yet again by now. Not like godly DPD and their 1hr time slots.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
First time, I get it. But the second time is on you. There's lots of ways to avoid package theft and you chosen none of them

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Having a postal system where expensive things are just left on your porch for everyone to grab seems incredibly stressful. I'm not sure I would order anything online living in a country like that.

Yeah it's weird. Here they only deliver stuff directly to the buyer (or someone authorized).

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Ah yes, the great, it doesn't happen to me so it must be an American thing.
Ok i bite.

From the Package Thiev Report 2018.

"Last year, Shorr Packaging found that over 31 percent of all Americans had experienced package theft and that number is expected to increase in 2018."

31% is a huge number.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't people heard of don't shit where you eat? Why would you steal shit from someone in your building/street?

Also it's weird to me that delivery people just leave things in front of your door over there. Here, if you're not home, they either come back later, or (usually) leave it with the neighbors, and they leave a note saying which neighbor. Never experienced any neighbor fuckery, because they need you to take their packages also.

First time, I get it. But the second time is on you. There's lots of ways to avoid package theft and you chosen none of them

Not only is this (victim blaming) wrong and bad, you also used "beating a dead horse" in a completely inappropriate context that makes no sense at all

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually surprised they are sending you a third one and didn't tell you to deal with it with the postal service since they took a picture and marked it as delivered. That's pretty cool of them, but you might want to consider doing something about it like getting a Ring doorbell or other solutions.