• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Following loads of great responses I've narrowed down the most common answers

• Dragon Quest XI S

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Persona 5 Royal

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • Trials of Mana

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chrono Trigger (not the remake)

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • Tales of Vesperia

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Octopath Traveller

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xenoblade (switch release)

Votes: 7 8.4%

• Total voters

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
OP : Play FFXII or any of the Xeno Nintendo games.

Also tell us the top contenders now so we can dissuade you : o
DQ XI for example. Playing it right now and clocking at 125 hours. While it's enjoyable, I wouldn't recommend it because it's really a slow burner. Everything's good but nothing's excellent, and getting the true ending is a CHORE. Once you reach it you can basically spend a few hours and platinum the thing. Also the definitive way to play it is locked on Switch.

If you stick to the poll though, it's Chrono Trigger by a mile.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hm... of the poll choices.

Dragon Quest XI S - This is a very good, but very typical JRPG. On the default difficulty, even a new player might find it too easy, but on the harder difficulties, it might be too much. As a turn-based JRPG fan, this is one of my favorite games, but I wouldn't recommend this to you since you've bounced off other turn-based RPGs.

Persona 5 Royal - This game is long and the pacing is weird, but it's incredibly stylish (visuals, music, and characters) & it has one of the faster-paced turn-based battle systems out there. It has multiple difficulty levels so it's plenty playable by even a new player. There's a lot of non-combat story stuff (at times feeling more like an interactive novel) which may be a plus or minus depending on what you're looking for. This would be very much a "swing for the stars" choice - either you're going to absolutely love it or it's not for you.

If you like its Japanese pop media theme, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE has a lot of similarities to Persona 5, but is noticeably shorter (around 50 hours as opposed to P5's around 100 hrs) and would probably be a better first choice.

Trials of Mana - Haven't played it so can't comment. The remake looks decent.

Chrono Trigger (not the remake) - This is an old RPG that's very suited to beginners. If you're okay with retro graphics & turn-based(ish) combat that lacks the depth & speed of some more modern JRPGs, this is a strong choice. There's no remake and the only port that really needs to be avoided is the PS1 version.

Tales of Vesperia - It's a fairly traditional JRPG except combat is more like a fighting game. If you're a fighting game fan and want a fighting game JRPG, this would be a good choice.

Octopath Traveller - It's an unusual game but not very beginner friendly. I found it got repetitive quickly.

Xenoblade (switch release) - I was a huge fan of the original game on the Wii, but it's really not a good choice for someone new to genre. Plus, we don't even know when it's coming out or how different the Switch version will be.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
From your list, I'd recommend either DQXI or Chrono Trigger, as they are the most "traditional", the others have action or life sim elements, and Octopath is extremely challenging for a beginner... I'd lean more to CT because it's about a third the length of DQ and gets into the thick of things pretty quickly.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since you said you wanted to be eased in, the choice becomes pretty clear -- Dragon Quest 11s. It's very traditional and straightforward as a JRPG, and if you play on the default settings it presents minimal challenge (I would argue that it's far too easy on default). It's a good game though with good art and a lot of variety and content.

Obviously if you have a strong preference for real time combat the choice might be different.

Incidentally, the Trials of Mana remake coming out in a few months is very promising looking!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there's a chrono trigger remake?!!!!!

OP, from your list i'd go with either DQ or chrono trigger. CT has aged very well for how old it is. the DS and steam versions are very good.