• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Flamin' Hot Doritos Impressions
OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
iWrxPLN.jpg

so they finally made it to my local shop

Flamin' Hot Doritos.

off the bat, I dig the packaging, very striking and the Flamin' Hot font is nice and big and in the middle of the pic

the black background around the middle but not taking up the whole packaging also does a good job setting it apart from the other spicy Dorito chips

opening up the bag, the scent is only Nacho cheese. If the chips weren't so dark red, I'd confuse them with normal Nacho Doritos on smell alone. Not even a whiff of Flamin' Hot

chips are dark red, with a decent layer of flavoring on each chip. I bought a bag of Spicy Nacho Doritos as a comparison, and these are much darker red

the flavor is immediately Nacho Cheese. The cheese overpowers the Flamin' Hot flavor for a solid two or three seconds

not until then, a few seconds into chewing, does the Flamin' Hot do its work. A good upward wave of Flamin' Hot spice cuts through the Nacho cheese flavor, and it stays around for a long time just at the back of your mouth

even after a sip of water, the Flamin' Hot keeps a consistent burn going for something like 40 seconds before mellowing a good bit

as i said before, i got the Spicy Nacho as a direct comparison, and its heat doesn't quite match up. It's there and gone very quickly, and the Nacho cheese flavor mingles with it more as well. Not a bad crisp, but not quite what I want from a spicy chip

if you eat one Flamin' Hot chip after another, you get a good rhythm of the strong cheese being massively present, then immediately being usurped by the Flamin' Hot over and over again

very bingeable, especially if you like both Nacho Cheese Doritos and Flamin' Hot

Last edited:

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for taking time to make this thread and all of your reviews.

Hopefully I find a bag of the Flamin' Hot Doritos this week.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Thank you for taking time to make this thread and all of your reviews.

Hopefully I find a bag of the Flamin' Hot Doritos this week.
at my Walmart, they weren't in the chip isle, but instead on a separate display section with a variety of chips, just in case your store ends up doing the same

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
didn't really like the doritos, felt like it fucked up the texture which makes doritos so good (unless my bag was fucked up)

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
didn't really like the doritos, felt like it fucked up the texture which makes doritos so good (unless my bag was fucked up)
didn't notice anything like that

it's been a while since I've had a bunch of Doritos, but the texture was the same as the Spicy Nacho bag i picked up to compare, or at least the different wasn't glaring enough to register to me

there's is a lot of powder, so it wouldn't surprise me if that did effect the chips in some way, tho

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
dog i notice a human hand in many of thsee photos can you confirm or deny that that is IN FACT your HAND

NOT PAW

HAND

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
this compromise is vaguely creepy but acceptable

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
iWrxPLN.jpg

so they finally made it to my local shop

Flamin' Hot Doritos.
Coincidentally, I was just at Walmart earlier tonight, I saw these and thought about getting them, but I decided against it. With your review I might go back and give 'em a try. A little disappointed about the cheese being the prominent flavor, but what are you gonna do.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Coincidentally, I was just at Walmart earlier tonight, I saw these and thought about getting them, but I decided against it. With your review I might go back and give 'em a try. A little disappointed about the cheese being the prominent flavor, but what are you gonna do.
yeah, the cheese is super strong, but luckily the Flamin' Hot gets there eventually

if it was on a similar heat level to the Spicy Nacho I would of been pretty disappointed

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Fat4all do you like the wasabi chips? Or maybe they are not spicy enough?
I'm a big fan of wasabi in general, fake or real

tho i was a little disappointed with the Wasabi Doritos

but I've had other wasabi crisps and they were pretty good, usually hit you with heat ASAP

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'm a big fan of wasabi in general, fake or real

tho i was a little disappointed with the Wasabi Doritos

but I've had other wasabi crisps and they were pretty good, usually hit you with heat ASAP
Yeah my cousin like wasabi too.
In italy we don't have so much choice with spicy chips like you in america.
The spicyest thing i eat recently was this
coppiette-maiale-01.jpg
Lightly dehydrated boar meat with red pepper in it. (It looks like a dog snack lol)

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Lightly dehydrated boar meat with red pepper in it. (It looks like a dog snack lol)
jerky culture is pretty big in America, i wouldn't be surprised if i could find something similar

though the most common types around here are probably Beef and Venison, i have seen bacon jerky

and turkey jerky, which was better than I thought it would be

I think when it comes to spicy dried meats tho, it's mostly black pepper coated

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
jerky culture is pretty big in America, i wouldn't be surprised if i could find something similar

though the most common types around here are probably Beef and Venison, i have seen bacon jerky

and turkey jerky, which was better than I thought it would be

I think when it comes to spicy dried meats tho, it's mostly black pepper coated

I will offer you some deliciuos dried spicy meat if you ever come in italy someday.
(Sorry for my english)

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
didn't notice anything like that

it's been a while since I've had a bunch of Doritos, but the texture was the same as the Spicy Nacho bag i picked up to compare, or at least the different wasn't glaring enough to register to me

there's is a lot of powder, so it wouldn't surprise me if that did effect the chips in some way, tho
Hmmm, maybe I just got a shitty bag then. Been looking for a replacement for 4th degree doritos for a long time

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
uoYzoTF.jpg

Goodness gracious. These are possibly my very favorite chips ever. The heat/flavor levels are almost perfect.

PNW folks, found these at the local WinCo.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
picked up a bag of the fh doritos tonite, honestly a lil underwhelmed, but i'm not huge on doritos anyway.....

haven't read the whole thread but surely yall can appreciate Takis right? the 'fuego' variety are probably my fav of this kind of thing.....its all poison though lol I should probably cut it out

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Found the Flamin Hot Nacho today as well. Four bags left in the display when I got there.

I won't call them amazing but they are good. I'll take them over regular or Spicy Nacho for sure. But I think when it comes to Doritos I'd take Sweet Spicy Chili, Blaze, or Jalapeño first.

King of Flamin Hot remains Xxtra Hot Cheetos for me.

picked up a bag of the fh doritos tonite, honestly a lil underwhelmed, but i'm not huge on doritos anyway.....

haven't read the whole thread but surely yall can appreciate Takis right? the 'fuego' variety are probably my fav of this kind of thing.....its all poison though lol I should probably cut it out

Yeah Takis are popular in this thread - or at least historically including the old place not searching to see if they've been discussed here.

Personally I only like them so-so. Both times I tried the fuego and the citrus was just way too forward for me. Didn't get a hint of heat till like five or size chips in.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I stopped at a gas station to get a coffee at the Dunkies in it and was in a huge rush, I saw the Flamin Hot Doritos but didn't have time to wait in two lines. Wishing I had, I wanna try especially after that review!

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Yeah the xxxxxxxxtra hot cheetos are PURE GASOLINE FUEL in a bag, just insane heat
I wouldn't mind seeing the "Xxtra Flamin' Hot" spread to more FH products, just to get some extra heat on the older products

Xxtra Hot Rold Gold Thins would benefit from the extra heat because of how buttery they are

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're not especially hot, but I love these puffs. Haven't been able to find them in years though.

BuffaloBlueCheeseCurls.jpg

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
my gal thanks you for the review of the flamin hot doritos, and now she craves them. She says she enjoys the idea of the nacho cheese being usurped over and over again.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Yup I've tried the pizza ones and they're good too.
They also have these other flavors:
huh

maybe i should see which ones my Sheetz has, cuz I know I've seen a few different ones, but I've never paid a whole lot of attention to them

the pizza just caught my eye because i love pizza

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
my gal thanks you for the review of the flamin hot doritos, and now she craves them. She says she enjoys the idea of the nacho cheese being usurped over and over again.
i hope she finds them easily and enjoy them!

i burnt through my bag in an evening and am already considering getting another one soon

i forgot how much i dug Doritos, lol