• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Hi Era.

My friend and I have been chatting on Facebook a lot recently, mostly about trivial stuff like his favourite football game and TV shows but every once in a while he'll open up and talk about his real life troubles.

For a bit of backstory, I met this friend about four years ago when I started university studying game development. We took the Story/Game Design course and without any classes on coding, we were pretty doomed from the start but while I accepted that the industry was never going to be for me, my friend attempted to self teach himself coding specifically C++ but ended up giving up after numerous failed attempts to understand the fundamentals. Unfortunately, ever since we graduated, he's been upset because he thinks our university failed him by not warning him that a job in the industry will require knowledge on the technical side of development and not preparing him for finding a job in the real world. He lives at home with his parents whom he despises and hasn't done anything with his life in the year since we graduated.

We had a scare last year around Halloween time when he spoke to me about the possibility of suicide but I managed to talk him down from it and it turned out he was wasted at the time and didn't mean much of what he said anyway. Since then, things have been pretty light outside of the sporadic discussions about how bad his personal life has become. Apparently, he never leaves the house anymore and has no friends who he interacts with in real life. Then a funny thing happens - this past week, things seem to be turning around for him. He mentions that someone from a small games studio had gotten in contact with him to talk about needing an assistant technical director. He seems happy but mentions that he hasn't had practice with game engines in months and needs to get up to scratch. On top of that, yesterday he tells me that he even managed to get out of the house and enjoy a game of snooker with two complete strangers at a local pub. Between these two events, it honestly looked like he was turning over a new leaf and I was happy for him.

And then we come to this morning. I wake up and check my feed to see my friend finish our discussion on the rules of snooker when he drops a bombshell - he plans to kill himself today and end the pain once and for all. No other information given and he's been offline so I can't ask for clarification. I ended up writing a mini essay practically begging him to reconsider and talk to me but I'm such a state of panic that I needed to hear some advice from you guys here at Era.

For some additional info, we live in England and he specifically lives in a really terrible area of London with his parents which he hates with all his fibre of being. I've talked extensively in the past about him contacting the suicide hotline or talking to a therapist which he refuses to do, believing they don't really want to help him and that he'll be put on pills that make him into a vegetable. So when it comes to external help, I can't see him taking it. As I mentioned, he loathes his parents and I don't think they even know about his depression which leaves the only options as me and some of his other online friends who I know nothing about. I'd love to meet him in person and have a fun time catching up as well as giving him in person advice and all that but he doesn't really seem interested in anything like that. I have no idea where exactly he lives and if he comes online again, I'll ask him but I fear he'll refuse to tell me and 'wouldn't want me getting caught up in his personal problems anyway.'

It's breaking me up thinking that another human being's life is effectively in my hands which is why this post might come across as being hastily put together but I feel like I've exhausted all my options. Is there anything more I can do?

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
First off, you sound like a great friend. You're exactly the type of friend someone with depression needs.

Because he's offline doesn't mean he's hurt himself. You could call the police and ask them to do a welfare check, though. If you're scared that he has maybe hurt himself, that's probably your best bet. It could end up embarrassing him, but it might be what's best for him. They can talk to him and maybe take him somewhere safe if he consents or they feel it's necessary.

I've been through an unexpected welfare check myself, and while it was embarrassing at the time because I wasn't home alone, I appreciated that two people cared enough to decide together to call.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing you can do is be there for your friend as much as you feel you can. If they decide to take this step there will be nothing you can do, and you should never ever blame yourself.

From what you've written above you truly care, and you've done everything you can think of. I hope, hope, hope your friend manages to find peace in life, but if they don't please don't ever blame yourself.

Their life is not in your hands mate, this is their decision ultimately. Coming to terms with that is something pretty awful. I'm really sorry you're going through it.

PS - you could try an intervention, but these things come at their own cost. If that's something you feel like you have to do then the decision is yours.

Oct 29, 2017
i would say go to his place right now and talk to him. i don't have any experience in dealing with someone suicidal, but if it sounded like he was serious about doing it today, you need to make contact somehow. let him know that he's loved and would be missed. also, i'm not sure if this is how it works, but if you call the suicide hotline, they may be able to help or offer advice on how to approach him and talk him down.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Call the authorities and have them go check on him if you can't make it over to him. I went through a similar situation with a friend and went with that option. They ended up being fine and had just gone offline to be alone for awhile. It's always good to make sure.

OP
OP
GustyGardner

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, should have made it clearer but he lives with his parents (which is part of the reason he despises them) so they'll know immediately if something is up. Like I mentioned, I don't know where exactly he lives, just the general area so as much as I would like to go there in person and talk to him, I can't right now. It's one of the reasons I feel so lost.

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of. You CAN call and ask for anyone to come and see how he is/if he's dead, but if he's alive they'll send him to a hospital for a duration you won't know, he'll resent you, it might make him think about things but it could just end up a wasted effort. I'm going on what the US does so I'm not sure how things work there - the other thing too, he does have a right to suicide and personally I think you should leave it alone, if he really is serious he's dead, if not, his parents have him taken care of too. Recently got into a problem like this with a real life friend who moved years ago and decided to do nothing - again, as someone who has been there before the last thing I want is to be dragged away - proceed with caution, hope for the best, or call somebody.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Sorry, should have made it clearer but he lives with his parents (which is part of the reason he despises them) so they'll know immediately if something is up. Like I mentioned, I don't know where exactly he lives, just the general area so as much as I would like to go there in person and talk to him, I can't right now. It's one of the reasons I feel so lost.

Yes and no. Just because he lives with his parents doesn't mean he can't leave or go into a different room, or lock himself in the bathroom for that matter. I certainly don't mean to be an alarmist, or scare you any more, but I would consider that.

I really didn't want to post this.

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
If you know his full name and general area you should be able to look up his adress. I don't know what site to use for Britain but certainly it should be possible.

OP
OP
GustyGardner

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Ok then, I didn't consider that. I'll give the police a call and let them know he's a potential suicide risk. Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll update if I hear any news.

OP
OP
GustyGardner

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I've called the police and told them all I know. Now all I cam do is wait. Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully this was all just a false alarm and he's doing fine.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Does he have a phone and if so do you have his phone #? If so, give it to the police. I don't know the exact process or how long it takes but I assume they can trace the number to the owner and their address if they ask the carrier.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I've been there. It sucks.

The only thing I'd say is that you should be there as a friend, but need to understand the decision is out of your hands. It's their choice. You can section and advise and call the police and beg...

In the end, it's on them. Can't get better until you want to get better. No amount of medical aud/support will work until someone accepts they've hit rock bottom.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have his parents send him to a mental institution. There's really not much else you can do, he will probably hate you for it but he'll live.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Have his parents send him to a mental institution. There's really not much else you can do, he will probably hate you for it but he'll live.

This is also an infringement on a person's right to decide, so it has to be balanced very carefully.

My friend has made me promise I would never do this if I thought she would actually take her life, and I respect that decision. All I can do now is be there for her as best I can.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is also an infringement on a person's right to decide, so it has to be balanced very carefully.

My friend has made me promise I would never do this if I thought she would actually take her life, and I respect that decision. All I can do now is be there for her as best I can.

When you're not thinking clearly you have no right to decide. Parents are among the only persons (spouses as well) that can legally make that decision for their child and rightfully so. And you're messing yourself up if you think you can do (or make better) what she can't do on her own. That's what doctors are for. A mental institution is just that, a hospital for brain diseases. Just like with a broken arm there are professionals for that, the problem is that there's the stigma of mental institution = crazy person. No, it's a sickness. A sickness that can be treated. If you go, which barely any mentally ill people do willingly. And if they have a really severe illness like bipolarity you really should just jump ship, because that will make your own life miserable and that is not something they would want if you are a friend.

Last edited:

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Take it from someone who has been there in the dark side before. Get him help, over here in the FL. There's something called Baker Act which involuntarily admit someone into a psychiatrict center if the police believe they'll be of harm to themselves. Maybe find out if there's something similar over there in the UK.

Oct 25, 2017
When you're not thinking clearly you have no right to decide. Parents are among the only persons (spouses as well) that can legally make that decision for their child and rightfully so. And you're messing yourself up if you think you can do (or make better) what she can't do on her own. That's what doctors are for. A mental institution is just that, a hospital for brain diseases. Just like with a broken arm there are professionals for that, the problem is that there's the stigma of mental institution = crazy person. No, it's a sickness. A sickness that can be treated. If you go, which barely any mentally ill people do willingly. And if they have a really severe illness like bipolarity you really should just jump ship, because that will make your own life miserable and that is not something they would want if you are a friend.
Problem being is suicide can have intentions spanning long periods of time - my diseases are mostly cognitive and my living is only so good/bad to a point I know someday, the time will come.

Salmone_D_Oro

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This user is banned (2days): Insensitive and inappropriate remark.
I don t want to be an asshole but if he told you he wants to suicide , he is probably dead by now

Oct 27, 2017
I have never been in this situation before but I would say find out where they live and go visit them. You can help prevent suicide by being there for them at least. They might feel like they are alone in this world but if they see people care about them then that might help them.

I hope you and them the best.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I hope your friend survives through this difficult time OP. Best wishes to you both.

Someone that isn't me has had depression for most of his life. This person has found significant relief by taking psilocybin mushrooms, and dmt, and both together. I'm probably not supposed to talk about this here. But it really did have a major impact on this person who isn't me's life. This person used to be on all kinds of drugs before and now he isn't. This person used to be homeless and now has a great job for the past 12 years and has a relatively happy life now.

There is most certainly hope for your friend and usually when people choose to off themselves and are open about it, it is a cry for help- they don't go through with it.

It is when they shut you out do you need to be afraid.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Thank you pirate.

Can you please delete this and PM me or make another thread if you wish to continue. This is not the thread to have this exchange. Thanks.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK

The police can make the decision on having him sectioned if he's at risk to himself. But they will have to bring over a mental health trained officer before they take them away.

Talking from experience as I had to do this with someone who I use to live with.

OP
OP
GustyGardner

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, update:

He's fine - he didn't think I'd take the threat seriously and was actually thankful that someone would go so far as to call the police over concern. They paid him a welfare visit and he's planning to visit a doctor tomorrow to talk about his options. I sincerely hope that he talks to a professional and begins to take his problems seriously. The fact that he's willing to visit anyone is a good sign as he would scoff at the idea before.

Again, thanks for all your help guys. You may have helped save a man's life, and I'm grateful for all the kind comments.

RudiJ

Oct 28, 2017
This is scarily similar to where I'm with with a friend of my own right now in a number of ways. He attempted to kill himself again last week and last I heard he was in hospital. It weighs on my mind constantly that at any moment he could succeed and I wouldn't know until days or weeks later. I haven't maintained 1 to 1 communication with him since we left uni and at this point I feel like if I start it'll seem forced, but I feel like I should because if I start talking to him he'll magically feel better. In truth his life isn't really in my hands at all. It's his life and if he takes it that's just where the intercecting of our paths end.

But in the past when I've worried about his life because he was in a dodgy state of mind I have remotely gotten friends in the town he was in together to call the police on him. They took him away and he was basically humiliated. He wasn't in his right mind at the time and didn't really know what was going on. I've talked with him a little about what it was like since and I can't imagine it was anything but hell. But it was temporary, and I've seen him alive and happy again numerous times since. He's back in a bad place again now but between the hospitals and his family I'm optimistic I'll see him happy and alive again. Nobody's life is ever truly ruined as even in the worst conditions it's possible to be happy about something for a day.

I don't know if this post is going to help you OP. Honestly writing this has been therapeutic for me and I hope there'll be something you can gather from it yourself. Know that even though my friend went through hell when the police were called I don't regret it whatsoever, and I doubt my friend resents us at all for it. And also know that if anything does happen it won't be your fault.

EDIT: Glad to hear that everything's alright OP. It sounds like you made the right decisions and you should be proud of what you've done.

Last edited:

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hi Era.

My friend and I have been chatting on Facebook a lot recently, mostly about trivial stuff like his favourite football game and TV shows but every once in a while he'll open up and talk about his real life troubles.

For a bit of backstory, I met this friend about four years ago when I started university studying game development. We took the Story/Game Design course and without any classes on coding, we were pretty doomed from the start but while I accepted that the industry was never going to be for me, my friend attempted to self teach himself coding specifically C++ but ended up giving up after numerous failed attempts to understand the fundamentals. Unfortunately, ever since we graduated, he's been upset because he thinks our university failed him by not warning him that a job in the industry will require knowledge on the technical side of development and not preparing him for finding a job in the real world. He lives at home with his parents whom he despises and hasn't done anything with his life in the year since we graduated.

We had a scare last year around Halloween time when he spoke to me about the possibility of suicide but I managed to talk him down from it and it turned out he was wasted at the time and didn't mean much of what he said anyway. Since then, things have been pretty light outside of the sporadic discussions about how bad his personal life has become. Apparently, he never leaves the house anymore and has no friends who he interacts with in real life. Then a funny thing happens - this past week, things seem to be turning around for him. He mentions that someone from a small games studio had gotten in contact with him to talk about needing an assistant technical director. He seems happy but mentions that he hasn't had practice with game engines in months and needs to get up to scratch. On top of that, yesterday he tells me that he even managed to get out of the house and enjoy a game of snooker with two complete strangers at a local pub. Between these two events, it honestly looked like he was turning over a new leaf and I was happy for him.

And then we come to this morning. I wake up and check my feed to see my friend finish our discussion on the rules of snooker when he drops a bombshell - he plans to kill himself today and end the pain once and for all. No other information given and he's been offline so I can't ask for clarification. I ended up writing a mini essay practically begging him to reconsider and talk to me but I'm such a state of panic that I needed to hear some advice from you guys here at Era.

For some additional info, we live in England and he specifically lives in a really terrible area of London with his parents which he hates with all his fibre of being. I've talked extensively in the past about him contacting the suicide hotline or talking to a therapist which he refuses to do, believing they don't really want to help him and that he'll be put on pills that make him into a vegetable. So when it comes to external help, I can't see him taking it. As I mentioned, he loathes his parents and I don't think they even know about his depression which leaves the only options as me and some of his other online friends who I know nothing about. I'd love to meet him in person and have a fun time catching up as well as giving him in person advice and all that but he doesn't really seem interested in anything like that. I have no idea where exactly he lives and if he comes online again, I'll ask him but I fear he'll refuse to tell me and 'wouldn't want me getting caught up in his personal problems anyway.'

It's breaking me up thinking that another human being's life is effectively in my hands which is why this post might come across as being hastily put together but I feel like I've exhausted all my options. Is there anything more I can do?
Suicide is a regrettable decision from an outside perspective but ultimately that's not your decision to make. You can simply present your case to your friend and make the arguments against doing do but this is the friends' life and they will choose what they want for themselves.

If someone decides that's the path they will take despite the case you presented against it honestly that's all you can do. People will choose for themselves and you don't get to choose for them what path they take even if you disagree.

I've always viewed suicide for the vast majority as a permanent fix for problems that are mostly temporary. I'm sure with effort over the next several years that friend could entirely change their life. Then again I would never consider suicide do my paradigm is different that someone that would.