• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
My girlfriend was always a huge Pokémon fan and I decided to buy her a Nintendo Switch for Christmas and got her Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Let's Go. Not too surprisingly I scored some great points that evening :). She just finished both and she really liked playing on the Switch. She really liked it that she could switch from handheld mode to docked mode. And for me it was nice that she could sit next to me playing while I could still use the tv.

But the question now is what next? She is absolutely not a hardcore gamer and the games she often plays is out of nostalgia. The only games she played on my PS4 for example is Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. She also mentioned she 'never really liked Mario'. I think the best game for her would be an 'adventurous' singleplayer-game with a sense of completion like Pokémon where she can also relax and explore the world on her own pace. If it was for PS4 of Xbox One I could name a ton of options, but I don't really have a great idea for Switch at the moment.

Keep in mind, she is a casual player. Zelda would be a logical suggestion, but I have played Breath of the Wild and the bosses and puzzles are going to be difficult for her and I already know that I can play half the game then because she can't finish it without help. So, any other decent suggestions Resetera? What do your casual gamer girlfriends play on Switch?

Mx4I0DT.png

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Minecraft
Stardew Valley
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Cities: Skylines
Animal Crossing
Super Mario Odyssey

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
If you're worried about her starting off with Breach of the Wild, maybe get her Link's Awakening first and she how she likes it?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
My gf never played any game before but managed to finish BotW on her own. That game teaches you how to play very well.

Otherwise I would recommend Dragon Quest XI (big world, charming characters, there is also a demo on the eshop). Dragon Quest Builders 2 would be another good choice.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest XI S
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX
Tales of Vesperia

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Ni No Kuni 1, I love it so much

Not 2 because it doesn't have monster catching (I still don't get this)

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
My heart says Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but considering that she's not a hardcore gamer, then it would be better if she starts with something simple yet with enough depth like Mario+Rabbids, it has a pretty appealing artstyle as well.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Yoshi's Crafted World is a nice, easy (if you're not going for 100%) platformer. I like playing it when I want to unwind since the visual style is really cute.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Stardew Valley are my recommendations. Absolutely get her Animal Crossing when that releases as well

OP
OP
Kingsora

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Ni No Kuni 1, I love it so much

Not 2 because it doesn't have monster catching (I still don't get this)
Is Ni No Kuni 1 on Switch, that could be a decent option? I really really loved it myself when I played it on PS3, but hated the sequel because the strongest point was removed like you said.

octopedes

Feb 3, 2018
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The most critically acclaimed game of the last 100,000 years.

Even the Lord said unto thee, "Shit's wild yo"

OP
OP
Kingsora

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The most critically acclaimed game of the last 100,000 years.

Even the Lord said unto thee, "Shit's wild yo"
Like I said before in the OP. Breath of the Wild is going to be too difficult for her. It's not a hard game, but certainly not easy if you are a casual gamer.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Fire Emblem is really fun. The game also doesn't require that you learn a bunch of crazy mechanics to progress, so it's a good entry point for beginners.

Maybe a visual novel type game? Something like Phoenix Wright. It's a point-and-click so it's very easy to play.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Is Ni No Kuni 1 on Switch, that could be a decent option? I really really loved it myself when I played it on PS3, but hated the sequel because the strongest point was removed like you said.

I think it's a great option, it looks great on Switch and it's similar to Pokemon

fakeronjan

Oct 28, 2017
I'd recommend Link's Awakening. It's cute, will be more of a challenge to her mind than her reflexes or gaming muscle memory, and it's a surprisingly emotional ride.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Dragon Quest Builders 1 or 2. Games are super fun (in terms of gameplay and the goofy cast), very lenient, and will let her explore the worlds at her own pacing. It is a leisure crafting game with plenty of adventures to have, so they seem up to her alley!

OP
OP
Kingsora

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
I'd recommend Link's Awakening. It's cute, will be more of a challenge to her mind than her reflexes or gaming muscle memory, and it's a surprisingly emotional ride.
Also thought about this. How does it compare in difficulty with Breath of the Wild? Is it a lot of difficult puzzles and bosses? Never played it myself.

I think it's a great option, it looks great on Switch and it's similar to Pokemon
Absolutely this. I would ease her into other things by starting her off with something similar. Ni No Kuni fits the bill.
Yes thanks, great suggestion

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Does she like match-3 style puzzle games? If she likes those, then since she also likes Pokemon, you should look into Sushi Striker. There's a demo of it on the eShop too.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said before in the OP. Breath of the Wild is going to be too difficult for her. It's not a hard game, but certainly not easy if you are a casual gamer.
In my experience, ive seen many people put BOTW in front of casuals and the casuals actually do pretty well at it, because the game is designed to be played in so many ways

scar654

Oct 27, 2017
Wait for Animal Crossing... Meanwhile download the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon demo or Pokemon Quest.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio

I disagree. I think BOTW is perfect for casual players. It eases players into it's core mechanics very well. By the time the game gets even remotely challenging, players have learned all they need to learn.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I vote Breath of the Wild, despite what you said. My SO who isn't really a gamer pretty much only likes Pokemon and BotW. The beauty of the BotW is that you can totally take the game at your own pace and do whatever you want to do. Boss fights and stuff like that can become trivially easy once you get far enough into the game and spam lots of food, so I don't think that would be a big issue.

OP
OP
Kingsora

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
In my experience, ive seen many people put BOTW in front of casuals and the casuals actually do pretty well at it, because the game is designed to be played in so many ways
I'm a casual gamer, found it pretty great actually.
I disagree. I think BOTW is perfect for casual players. It eases players into it's core mechanics very well. By the time the game gets even remotely challenging, players have learned all they need to learn.

I played the game myself and I can remember bosses and places where later on I had to retry multiple times. I really don't see her achieving that. Maybe in my memory it's way more difficult than it actually was :)

Deleted member 27872

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think dragon quest 11s might be a good choice if she wants something she can explore and play at her own pace.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Get her SNES games on the subscription and has her play the Mario's games there's breath of fire which is surprisingly fun I'm going through it and so far it's pretty ez

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
But the question now is what next? She is absolutely not a hardcore gamer and the games she often plays is out of nostalgia. The only games she played on my PS4 for example is Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. She also mentioned she 'never really liked Mario'. I think the best game for her would be an 'adventurous' singleplayer-game with a sense of completion like Pokémon where she can also relax and explore the world on her own pace. If it was for PS4 of Xbox One I could name a ton of options, but I don't really have a great idea for Switch at the moment.

Gris (you will thank me)
Resident Evil if she has nostalgia for this series
Luigi's Mansion 3
Snipperclips
Bomberman
Super Mario Odyssey (it is hard to resist this game)
Ori and the blind forest
Sonic Mania
Ace Attorney Trilogy/The Walking Dead/Batman... if she likes something more story focused
Final Fantasy IX
To The Moon (you will both love it)

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
My boyfriend is also a Pokémon fan but it was the only thing that he had already played before, besides Smash. He LOVES BOTW now, because it doesn't pressure you into doing things, you can do whatever you want once you get out of the plateau, which in itself is a great tutorial and is not that hard to learn the mechanics.

If she prefers storytelling though, there is Fire Emblem Three Houses, which are pretty great games in terms of character development and story, plus it is turn based, so no skill required and the game is easy on normal difficulty and you can turn off permadeath.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kirby and Yoshi both are super casual friendly and have demos

Dragon quest has a 10 hour demo

But yeah Zelda is very noob friendly since you make your pace