• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
First thing, sorry for another break up thread, but like many others here I don't have much of a social support net outside the internet.

I am 23/M and she is 22/F. We've been together for a year and a half, living together for a year. She's the first girl I've ever loved and she broke up with me today. On Thursday we both left for separate trips over the weekend. I went with my dad and brother to DC from friday to Monday, and she went to hang out with her old friend (a dude who I suspected she had feelings for) in upstate New York for the weekend. Red flag #1 was that she lied to me about the trip, telling me she was going to her mom's. I found out one way or another and she apologized a lot and told me nothing had happened with him or would happen with him. Red flag #2 was that she barely talked to me during the trip. I called her once a day and she never picked up the phone, and she barely answered my texts. Eventually it comes to Monday night and we are both supposed to be home (we lived together at my apartment), and she doesn't show up, telling me they stopped at his parents house and that he didn't want to drive her home and drive back alone (it was 1 am at this point, I got home at 12:30 am, she was about two hours away). I ask her if she needs help and ask to talk on the phone since we hadn't talked in like 4 or 5 days. She refused to take my calls. Flash forward to today, she calls me and breaks up with me. Says she didn't expect to have the feelings she had for this guy and that she felt our relationship had been going down hill for a while, and that she didn't want to try harder to fix it. She told me she slept with the guy over the weekend and she wants to try tbings out with him. She's coming over tonight to get her stuff out of my room.

We had also planned to share an apartment in the fall as well. It's a two bedroom, with one shared room bw us and one other guy. Neither of us can afford the room on our own, and she is asking me for the money back that she paid for first and last months rent, which I don't have and can't give to her. This part is kind of a nightmare since I already signed the lease and don't have any way to pay the full cost of the room, and I also can't giver her any money back.

I have read enough break up threads to know what to expect. I already deleted her number out of my phone, and blocked her on Instagram and facebook. Despite this, I can't avoid all contact with her. We have a summer class together twice a week, so I will have to see her there. Similarly, we scheduled our fall schedules so that we would have similar classes. I'm not sure how to deal with this so if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what to do now. I want to start working out again, see a psychiatrist to deal with my anxiety, and try to make more friends. I think something I read need to work on is getting more confidence in myself. I'm not really sure how to do that either though, so any help there would also be greatly appreciated. I am feeling slightly ok right now but I know I will be in a lot of pain soon.

Sorry for the rant, just really needed to vent.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
User Banned (3 Days): Reinforcing harmful stereotypes about women
Women are complicated. We will never know what is going on in their heads.

Stay strong, don't think too much about your both past. Try to do things you couldn't do when you were together. Meet up with Friends and discover new things You like to do.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry to hear that OP, but at least it was a break up with a horrible person and not a best friend over something you both couldn't control.

I'm sure it still hurts but fuck her, definitely work on the three goals you gave yourself.

As for the money, that is a sticky situation, try to see if you can give her the money back in payments. In a perfect world, you wouldn't owe shit to a cheater, but it is what it is.

Stay strong, don't think too much about your both past. Try to do things you couldn't do when you were together. Meet up with Friends and discover new things You like to do.

Only if they're trash. A good person is honest and tells you if there's a problem.

If you think someone is complicated it's more like they don't know how to communicate.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow absolutely no chill. Joke's on the dude she'll probably play him the same way. Good luck moving on.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
I don't know what else to say except that is super incredibly shitty on her part and you're handling things in an incredibly mature way considering the circumstances. I hope things work out financially, and I know things will work out better for you romantically. You def will find someone better, OP. Just pay her no mind when you see her.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry. You'll feel really bad for a while, but it will pass. We've all been there. Your only concern right now is trying to not stay shut in alone; you need to go out, socialize, and do stuff. That will help.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
It hurts right now but it gets better. It sucks you will still see her sometimes, but just ignore anything she demands. Don't give her money or anything. She lost that from you and expects it still. Don't do anything you don't feel like you owe her. Don't accept her if she comes back, just forget about it. I'm in the same boat man, I don't have a big social circle either to let out feelings...

Just do what makes you happy man. Start working out. Do anything to take her off your mind.

I've got anxiety pretty bad too. Just do little things to start changing up your routine and things will feel more and more different over time.

Don't let her come into your room, just take her stuff out and leave it somewhere for her to pick up. Be polite if you want, or not. Just be stern and don't do anything she wants.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
OP you will be better with out her. You are extremely young and have all the time in the world ahead of you. Take this as a blessing in disguise, use it as a learning experience.

mango.

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (permanent): History of deliberate trolling, junior account
Chin up, plenty of females out there.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like you now have a chance to find someone better when you're ready, OP :)

Deleted member 12379

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry that happened man. She did you a favor of showing her colors now though. Imagine if you two got married and then she went through with this? Shit stings now man but you'll be alright. Sounds like you have half a plan in order which is more than most.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah get out there again work on loving yourself etc and honestly you will recover just take the lessons from this and move forward and honestly if it were me I wouldn't even entertain her getting the money back that's the cost for her breaking up imo.

Also I'll be honest if I was your age back when I was dating I'd be wayyyy more casual and justhave fun instead of settling down with anyone at that age. Her actions are a classic case of someone not totally knowing themselves etc.

Sorry this all happened.

Fall classes see if there is anyway out of changing stuff around if possible. The summer class you are prob kinda screwed but maybe talk to your professor and see if there is anything you can do or attend a similar class in the same time slot.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry for you op.

Now, I know it's not what you want to hear right now, but this is very important:

If things do not work out for her past the initial period of crush when she idealizes everything, she will come back to you saying it was just a mistake and it didn't mean anything.

If that happens, don't.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a real piece of a shit of a human being (sorry I have no sympathy for cheaters)

you dodged a bullet mate. I know it sucks right now but with a bit of time you will understand this well. Stay strong. If you like have someone else there with you when she comes over. You don't have to deal with her bs

You may see her in class, she may try to be 'friends' or some shit too..fuck that. Act as if she is just another person. Act with indifference. It might be hard but that would be my advise. Classes end eventually anyways.

The rest of the self-improvement stuff are on point. You have a set of good ideas already and I think you will be more than fine. Best of luck to you.

Dec 2, 2017
She's a bitch for doing it that way. No two ways about it, she lied, cheated on you and bailed on your shared financial obligations. These are the actions of a garbage person.

Get yourself through this, and then thank God that you didn't end up married to a garbage person who gave you garbage kids.

Oct 29, 2017
She cheats on you and still wants rent money back that she knows you don't have. Man she's really a piece of work.

Don't even worry about paying back the money. That's her fucking problem, considering she's apparently got no problem letting you deal with an apartment you can't afford and can't get out of.

Personally speaking you'll be ok. It'll hurt like fucking hell but you'll pull through. It should be "easier" considering she's giving you every reason to not feel for her anymore with her behavior. With respect to your schedules being similar, just don't let it get to your head when you do see her. From this point forward she's just another person in the class. Don't attempt to communicate with her.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're young OP. Sorry to tell you something similar might happen again. Almost the exact same thing happened to me when I was about your age.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I am 23/M and she is 22/F. We've been together for a year and a half, living together for a year. She's the first girl I've ever loved and she broke up with me today. On Thursday we both left for separate trips over the weekend. I went with my dad and brother to DC from friday to Monday, and she went to hang out with her old friend (a dude who I suspected she had feelings for) in upstate New York for the weekend. Red flag #1 was that she lied to me about the trip, telling me she was going to her mom's. I found out one way or another and she apologized a lot and told me nothing had happened with him or would happen with him. Red flag #2 was that she barely talked to me during the trip. I called her once a day and she never picked up the phone, and she barely answered my texts. Eventually it comes to Monday night and we are both supposed to be home (we lived together at my apartment), and she doesn't show up, telling me they stopped at his parents house and that he didn't want to drive her home and drive back alone (it was 1 am at this point, I got home at 12:30 am, she was about two hours away). I ask her if she needs help and ask to talk on the phone since we hadn't talked in like 4 or 5 days. She refused to take my calls. Flash forward to today, she calls me and breaks up with me. Says she didn't expect to have the feelings she had for this guy and that she felt our relationship had been going down hill for a while, and that she didn't want to try harder to fix it. She told me she slept with the guy over the weekend and she wants to try tbings out with him. She's coming over tonight to get her stuff out of my room.

That sucks OP, it really does :/. Let me just say a person who cheats on someone is scum. Straight up. You deserve better. Remember that.

Even if in the future she comes back, ignore her. You deserve better.

We had also planned to share an apartment in the fall as well. It's a two bedroom, with one shared room bw us and one other guy. Neither of us can afford the room on our own, and she is asking me for the money back that she paid for first and last months rent, which I don't have and can't give to her. This part is kind of a nightmare since I already signed the lease and don't have any way to pay the full cost of the room, and I also can't giver her any money back.

Yea this is probably the hardest situation at all :/. Definitely don't give her any money (because you signed the lease already and.. because you don't have it lol). Good luck man. Maybe someone here can offer advice.

I have read enough break up threads to know what to expect. I already deleted her number out of my phone, and blocked her on Instagram and facebook. Despite this, I can't avoid all contact with her. We have a summer class together twice a week, so I will have to see her there. Similarly, we scheduled our fall schedules so that we would have similar classes. I'm not sure how to deal with this so if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

Sit far from her and so she's not in your line of sight. Out of sight out of mind. Your gonna see her here and there, but you'll get over her. It will take some time though. I once heard the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else lol, but personally how I got over my ex was just removing her from my life. I had a easier time doing that than you will though :/. But key things will be socializing, don't try to hard, realize it takes time, and try to find good company.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what to do now. I want to start working out again, see a psychiatrist to deal with my anxiety, and try to make more friends. I think something I read need to work on is getting more confidence in myself. I'm not really sure how to do that either though, so any help there would also be greatly appreciated. I am feeling slightly ok right now but I know I will be in a lot of pain soon.

All of this sounds good. I think as you work out and talk to your psychiatrist you'll get better and better. Realize improving yourself doesn't happen overnight. It takes time, but visualize and work towards it and I'm sure in a few months you'll be much happier!

For friends, try seeing if there's any clubs you could join in the area, maybe volunteer? The more you put yourself out there in the world, the more chance you have at making friends and (eventually) meeting someone new. Good luck OP.

OPs GF just seems like a bad person tbh. I've known plenty of guys who cheated on their GFs, and I know guys who have refused girls literally throwing themselves at the guy because they were seeing someone. Women are the same way, some are loyal, some ain't.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what an asshole. give her the finger every time you walk into class.

OP
OP
Fulminator

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to hear that OP, but at least it was a break up with a horrible person and not a best friend over something you both couldn't control.

I'm sure it still hurts but fuck her, definitely work on the three goals you gave yourself.

As for the money, that is a sticky situation, try to see if you can give her the money back in payments. In a perfect world, you wouldn't owe shit to a cheater, but it is what it is.
Theoretically I don't owe her any money, since she didn't put her name on the lease. We avoided it so they wouldn't bump up the price any further. She says she needs the money to find a new apartment so she can continue going to school in Boston (she's from NH).I don't want to ruin her life or anything, but I feel like she made this decision to pay for half, and now that things didn't work out, that's on her not me.

I dont want her to hate me though, but maybe I shouldn't be worried about it.

I don't know what else to say except that is super incredibly shitty on her part and you're handling things in an incredibly mature way considering the circumstances. I hope things work out financially, and I know things will work out better for you romantically. You def will find someone better, OP. Just pay her no mind when you see her.

Thank you. It's hard because I don't really have many friends, and none that live in my city. I have some acquaintances but not really sure how to turn them into proper friends.

It hurts right now but it gets better. It sucks you will still see her sometimes, but just ignore anything she demands. Don't give her money or anything. She lost that from you and expects it still. Don't do anything you don't feel like you owe her. Don't accept her if she comes back, just forget about it. I'm in the same boat man, I don't have a big social circle either to let out feelings...

Just do what makes you happy man. Start working out. Do anything to take her off your mind.

I've got anxiety pretty bad too. Just do little things to start changing up your routine and things will feel more and more different over time.

Don't let her come into your room, just take her stuff out and leave it somewhere for her to pick up. Be polite if you want, or not. Just be stern and don't do anything she wants.

Why shouldn't I let her come in? It's kind of too late since she's coming over after we have this class.

If you want to talk about things too I'm here to listen if you want to pm or something.

She cheated on you. You're better off really.

Logically, but emotionally I still love her and don't want to let go.

Feb 3, 2018
First of all it gets better just take one day at a time also don't give her the money, her owing money is her own damn problem she can ask her new dude for it.

What you need to do when you are in class with her is to turn into Spock (no emotions) do not let her see that she is getting to you and just pretend she is just another person in class.

Trust me I have dealt with this in the past and you are better off without her.

Chromhound

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Don't give her money. She would probably try to comeback when she find out it if doesn't work with him. Screw her, you deserve better

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Theoretically I don't owe her any money, since she didn't put her name on the lease. We avoided it so they wouldn't bump up the price any further. She says she needs the money to find a new apartment so she can continue going to school in Boston (she's from NH).I don't want to ruin her life or anything, but I feel like she made this decision to pay for half, and now that things didn't work out, that's on her not me.

Bro she made a plan with you, she paid the fees to live with you, you signed a lease with her in agreement, then she lied to you, slept with someone else, then she broke up with you, and now she wants her money back which you don't have and you can't afford to live on your own.

In what world is that right?

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry for you op.

Now, I know it's not what you want to hear right now, but this is very important:

If things do not work out for her past the initial period of crush when she idealizes everything, she will come back to you saying it was just a mistake and it didn't mean anything.

If that happens, don't
This.

The fact that she said she felt things had not been working for some time, but failed to think ahead and consider the issues of apartment money and schedules post-breakup, leads me to believe this young woman has no grasp of short term results vs long term consequences. She's demonstrated to you that she is willing to hurt you for what could very well be a lukewarm impulse - do not give her the time of day in future encounters.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Like everyone's saying, don't give her the money back. She made this choice, she chose to cheat on you and break up with you, you don't owe her a damn thing.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Don't give her shit, her loss and she should suck it up knowing that money will not get back to her because she doesn't want to stay.

Deleted member 7430

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sorry, man. that's horrible. don't let her back in. when you see her in class, just look straight and ignore her.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017

Oh! Her name is not on the lease? Fuck her then. She literally does not have a legal leg to stand on.

I understand why you don't want her to hate you, it's still very early. But you'll have to work on not giving a shit what she thinks about you, because she clearly doesn't care about you.

Put yourself on her shoes, you wouldn't have cheated since you would have thought about her feelings. She doesn't care about yours, so it's time to stop letting her take advantage.

She knows you best OP, she wouldn't be asking you for the money if she didn't think she could weasel it out of you. Show her that you're not as weak as she thinks you are.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Dont give her the money back. Also DON'T take her back when she's got bored with this guy and is "sorry, wants to give it another try" because that cheques in the post with this girl. Stay strong dude, you did nothing wrong.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
This situation really sucks, OP. I'm sorry.

Also, never move in with your significant other after only dating for 6 months at such a young age.

Relationships in your early 20s are fleeting and the financial commitment of a lease makes things really rough if you break up.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Grab all her shit, put it in a garbage bag, put outside your door and tell her to pick that shit up change your locks and block her. Then hit the gym. You got cheated on dude, don't give her any benefit of the doubt. It's dead man.

Agreed to the above, learn to not move in with an SO until you're 10000% sure. chin up and take this as a learning experience.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017

I only got these things to say....

1. Fuck. Her. She fucked up multiple times here.
2. Don't give her a damn thing.
3. Do what you can to make yourself better including working out again like stated, you owe it to yourself to live your life as best possible.
4. Congratulations to you for doing what needed to be done, blocking her from almost everything, before anyone told her.
5. Sorry you went through that.

Reading that post hurts man.

Even though it has nothing to do with it, maybe this will help cheer you up or at least show how things can change quickly. Artist Ari Lennox posted about her breakup story today so it was interesting reading 2 breakup stories in 1 day.

https://twitter.com/AriLennox/status/1019289181296709633